BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

29 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Define mid table

9th to 16th. 

30 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Do you really think that is acceptable in return for 4.5 years in the job and 9 transfer windows?

Like I said before I would have like a change of manager and footballing structure at the club. 

Mowbray should have got us up within the 3 year plan and after last season backing deffo should have been top 6. He has been financially backed over those seasons and falling to get a top 6 should have seen a change. 

But Balaji has decide he stays in the job for this season. 

For me, we now at the start(year 1) of 3 year cycle with FFP rules and funding. With is being close to breaking FFP rules this summer, We need a proper football and recruitment strategy in place now and clear transfer policy in place. What is going to happen with Mowbray after this season? will he stay or leave? How and who do we replace him with? 

The fact we have so many key players out of contract this coming summer is a massive issue and one the we need to tied Brereton, Travis, Lenihan, Rothwell to new contracts. Don't see Nyambe re-signing here. 

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

9th to 16th. 

Like I said before I would have like a change of manager and footballing structure at the club. 

Mowbray should have got us up within the 3 year plan and after last season backing deffo should have been top 6. He has been financially backed over those seasons and falling to get a top 6 should have seen a change. 

But Balaji has decide he stays in the job for this season. 

For me, we now at the start(year 1) of 3 year cycle with FFP rules and funding. With is being close to breaking FFP rules this summer, We need a proper football and recruitment strategy in place now and clear transfer policy in place. What is going to happen with Mowbray after this season? will he stay or leave? How and who do we replace him with? 

The fact we have so many key players out of contract this coming summer is a massive issue and one the we need to tied Brereton, Travis, Lenihan, Rothwell to new contracts. Don't see Nyambe re-signing here. 

So with the same team apart from our main goalscorer and main creator, and with the same manager, you expect potentially a higher finish? (9th to 16th is bar one place higher or equal to last season) Just seems totally unfounded to me.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

So with the same team apart from our main goalscorer and main creator, and with the same manager, you expect potentially a higher finish? (9th to 16th is bar one place higher or equal to last season) Just seems totally unfounded to me.

We are playing very different from last season firstly. We are playing more solid defensively and playing on the counter. The team strong team spirit is there to see and toughness. 

Gallagher will now be the number 9 striker and we have bought skills or pace 2 attacking players behind that. Now Mowbray has to get the best of the team in terms attacking wise and being solid defensively also

Also bear in mind that we have took 5 points from 3 away teams who against teams I suspect we will be challenging for mid table spots. 

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I also think we will finish higher than last season.

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We are playing very different from last season firstly. We are playing more solid defensively and playing on the counter. The team strong team spirit is there to see and toughness. 

Gallagher will now be the number 9 striker and we have bought skills or pace 2 attacking players behind that. Now Mowbray has to get the best of the team in terms attacking wise and being solid defensively also

Also bear in mind that we have took 5 points from 3 away teams who against teams I suspect we will be challenging for mid table spots. 

Will he play as the number 9? And will Mowbray start getting the best from his team?

I am sure there will plenty of Poveda false 9 before the season is out.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Again, why? Same manager, considerably weaker squad.

For me last season was particularly bad because we played a system that did not suit our players. I would not say our squad is weaker than at this stage last season. Personally I think it is stronger. Kaminski, was an untried gamble, he is now a proven capeable keeper. We are stronger at left back. Centerback and right-back are much the same. The cover for midfield is stronger this season. Up front if played in their correct positions, with the correct system we have ample players. People keep saying we have not replaced Armstongs 28 goals. At this time last season Armstong was not a 28 goal a season player. These are my reasons for my belief that we will finish higher than last season. The flies in the ointment are the management team. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Are we sure that we're more solid defensively? We've conceded in every game so far. 

I can only guess it's because last season we spent all year doing nothing with the ball whereas so far this season we just keep getting dominated so it looks like they're better even though we're still leaking goals for fun.

West Brom could have easily won 6/7-1 had it not been for the woodwork and Kaminski more than our defence. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rigger said:

For me last season was particularly bad because we played a system that did not suit our players. I would not say our squad is weaker than at this stage last season. Personally I think it is stronger. Kaminski, was an untried gamble, he is now a proven capeable keeper. We are stronger at left back. Centerback and right-back are much the same. The cover for midfield is stronger this season. Up front if played in their correct positions, with the correct system we have ample players. People keep saying we have not replaced Armstongs 28 goals. At this time last season Armstong was not a 28 goal a season player. These are my reasons for my belief that we will finish higher than last season. The flies in the ointment are the management team. 

Kaminski isn't an improvement on Kaminski just because we've heard of him now. Left back being stronger is still up for debate imo because Pickering hasn't been that good and I have no idea about the new guy. I'm not convinced our midfield is any better - it looks incredibly lightweight and has been overrun consistently this season so far, and we are definitely weaker up front. 

Our recruitment has been appalling once again, because the management team don't have an agreed style and as a result can't bring people in the fit to one.

• Like 1

The point is surely that because of our poor defending we have to score at least 2 goals to stand a chance of winning. Mowbray has failed to replace Armstrongs goals. Therefore where are those 2 goals per game going to come from? And sometimes, of course, because our defence can be even more fragile, we'd need more than 2 goals per game. I just don't see how that gives us a better chance than we had last year of finishing above half way or anywhere close to it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RTM08 said:

Kaminski isn't an improvement on Kaminski just because we've heard of him now. Left back being stronger is still up for debate imo because Pickering hasn't been that good and I have no idea about the new guy. I'm not convinced our midfield is any better - it looks incredibly lightweight and has been overrun consistently this season so far, and we are definitely weaker up front. 

Our recruitment has been appalling once again, because the management team don't have an agreed style and as a result can't bring people in the fit to one.

I am not going to argue. I was asked why I thought we will finish higher than last season. I gave my reasons, you may not agree with them, only time will tell who is right. 

1 hour ago, rigger said:

Kaminski was kaminski last season, won poty!!!

Defence is marginally stronger. Left back stronger, ayala is fit but if he isn't then it isn't.

Midfield completely disagree. Weve added Clarkson who hasn't impressed thus far and buckley is a year further on however weve lost holtby, trybull, downing (all useful) and bennett.

Weve also lost the boy wonder elliott and weve nothing similar. 

We lost a 28 goal a season pacey striker and replaced him with nothing. The squads added 2 completely untried wingers, khedra and poveda with only the latter likely to threaten the 1st 11.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Kaminski was kaminski last season, won poty!!!

Defence is marginally stronger. Left back stronger, ayala is fit but if he isn't then it isn't.

Midfield completely disagree. Weve added Clarkson who hasn't impressed thus far and buckley is a year further on however weve lost holtby, trybull, downing (all useful) and bennett.

Weve also lost the boy wonder elliott and weve nothing similar. 

We lost a 28 goal a season pacey striker and replaced him with nothing. The squads added 2 completely untried wingers, khedra and poveda with only the latter likely to threaten the 1st 11.

At the end of August last season, were you as confident with Kaminski as you are now ? Did you think Armstrong would score 28 goals ? My answers would be no. If your answers are no, then just let this season unravel and see what transpires.

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Again, why? Same manager, considerably weaker squad.

Don't think we will do well this season but think we will stay up.The league is weaker than last season,we ain't the only team with a weak bench.

My biggest worry is gonna be TM trying to be clever and  outwit the opposition manager every week and changing the line ups and formation to counter them instead of concentrating on ourselves and playing to our strengths.But there are other poor managers in the division with worse squads.

I agree the owners should have stumped up the extra cash for a goalscorers but once again Mowbray doesn't get his priorities in order, why sign both Khedra and Poveda surely one or the other.We might not have had much to spend and couldn't have gotten a permanent deal done but surely be to God a loan of a striker with a chance of scoring goals could have been brought in instead of one of those.

The biggest disappointment for me is not loaning any players out.McBride and Vale another year of under 23 football we will learn nothing from it.Garrett who looked good in the pre season friendly could have been sent out.

Butterworth is needed now but again he will probably be living off scraps a few minutes here and there when we are up against it and need a goal.Even when he comes on and if he does well he will be on the bench again.

Chapman comes on against Forest good showing then out the door.I would love to know how much we are paying him 

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

For me, Mowbray look more focus then the previous 2 seasons(almost like the Promotion season focus for me) and will the young squad we got he has coach them and manage them. 

Yes it will be long hard season but I did feel that the squad can achieve mid table finish(with a couple of January additions) and have a good season. We appears more solid defensive and have a plan A and B which I think last season we lack badly. Plus we need to use the counter attacking tactics and play Gallagher up front in 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 formation. 

is a mid table finish even an achievement in this league!!!!!   for town teams or teams struggling financially... finishing mid table or just staying up in the prem league is a great achievement due to the obscene amounts of money the city clubs spend each year, but in the championship there's only really 2 things you can achieve play-offs or automatic promotion, so other than getting relegate anything else is just the truest definition of Meh! 

p.s. chaddy I've started noticing your posts a lot lately and im sorry but you seem like an enormous flipflopper as far as your opinions go.

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Don't think we will do well this season but think we will stay up.The league is weaker than last season,we ain't the only team with a weak bench.

My biggest worry is gonna be TM trying to be clever and  outwit the opposition manager every week and changing the line ups and formation to counter them instead of concentrating on ourselves and playing to our strengths.But there are other poor managers in the division with worse squads.

I agree the owners should have stumped up the extra cash for a goalscorers but once again Mowbray doesn't get his priorities in order, why sign both Khedra and Poveda surely one or the other.We might not have had much to spend and couldn't have gotten a permanent deal done but surely be to God a loan of a striker with a chance of scoring goals could have been brought in instead of one of those.

The biggest disappointment for me is not loaning any players out.McBride and Vale another year of under 23 football we will learn nothing from it.Garrett who looked good in the pre season friendly could have been sent out.

Butterworth is needed now but again he will probably be living off scraps a few minutes here and there when we are up against it and need a goal.Even when he comes on and if he does well he will be on the bench again.

Chapman comes on against Forest good showing then out the door.I would love to know how much we are paying him 

My main worry aside from Mowbray and his weird tactics is a lack of goals in the team and that a bad run will likely be never too far away, and then its a very young side with little experience.

I probably would suggest that as he was clearly under the impression that we was going to buy a striker, that it wasnt a case of him choosing to loan wide men over central strikers.

There are certain loans such as Butterworth and maybe Magloire (he has always appeared so far out of his depth but we just needed bodies) that I can understand why we held off with whilst we waited for bodies coming in. Even McBride now may be needed although I doubt it. It is the ones like Vale, Garrett and Pike that are the strangest in that none are close to the first team. 

Mowbray is a poor manager.  He doesn’t know what his formation is week to week. Any manager who is half good knows this and when it comes to transfer windows know where to invest.  Mowbray just looks at who is available and takes them, out of desperation usually at the end of the window, hence we end up overloaded in midfield or this window overloaded on the wings having refused to play the one and only winger at our disposal all through the last campaign.

No wonder we are in a mess.

venkys really need to bite the bullet and get rid.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

My main worry aside from Mowbray and his weird tactics is a lack of goals in the team and that a bad run will likely be never too far away, and then its a very young side with little experience.

I probably would suggest that as he was clearly under the impression that we was going to buy a striker, that it wasnt a case of him choosing to loan wide men over central strikers.

There are certain loans such as Butterworth and maybe Magloire (he has always appeared so far out of his depth but we just needed bodies) that I can understand why we held off with whilst we waited for bodies coming in. Even McBride now may be needed although I doubt it. It is the ones like Vale, Garrett and Pike that are the strangest in that none are close to the first team. 

Yeah so why 

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He committed to 500k to another left back.Now Edun might turn out to be a good signing but it is still a gamble and our last money purchase was a full back from the same league.We could have probably signed the striker from Accy for not too much more a rated player who many feel has the potential to play at a higher level again a gamble but if that gamble pays off we have a goalscorer surely easier to loan in a left back who would be competent or let Costello fill in.

Totally agree overall responsibility lays with the owners and more money could have been made available but we had some money as shown by our last ditch effort to get Burke in.The failure to bring in anyone definitely lays with the people on the ground.Maybe Mowbray doesn't want a striker?With the little money he had available.Maybe that's why Khedra and Poveda were signed to play the role Dolan was.I know he said he wanted a striker but when we brought in Brererton he called him a striker same with Gally then they were reborn as wide fowards 

Still think we will stay up lot worse in this division.We won't get as many goals but we will be harder to beat if Pickering improves or this new fella is better and Nyambe can get fit.Brererton and Gally can get ten goals each this season if he doesn't faff about changing things every week 

• Backroom

Unusual that we haven’t heard the usual platitudes from Tony today with the only quotes on the back of signing Edun presumably before the disappointment later on 

Is he fed up himself?

• Like 2

We paid quite big for a second full back (albeit, one who can supposedly play in midfield) but failed to bolster central midfield with a physically dominant player. I see this as a bigger failure than not signing a striker, given that Gallagher and Brereton would be, I believe, adequate strikers, if actually played centrally and supported. Our current midfield is physically diminutive and weak and the more physical players of them, Travis and Johnson, certainly needed support given their injury, form and disciplinary records.

However, the biggest worry should be that Kaminski, Nyambe, Rothwell, Brereton, Lenihan and others are running down their contracts. If the club can't sign them on, at least one or two should have been sold this transfer window, as their values will diminish rapidly. We may have missed our chance to cash in on a player like Rothwell who could have been replaced with a signing.

I also share the concern that no U23 player was given a loan opportunity - assuming that there would've been interest. I suspect, the problem is that Mowbray doesn't have a clear idea of his team or pecking order and has therefore gone for safety first of keeping them all.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

A few injuries and we'll be using those such as Garrett, Pike, McBride etc. 

Maybe hes realised he was wrong and will actually play Gallagher/Brereton central, if not it'll be a mire of a season with terrible false 9's such as Poveda, Dolan and Khadra. Goals have to come from somewhere though and it will need a big system change from last season to do so.

Reading the Lincoln forum this new guy plays in CM and only moved to LB there as they were short, eventually doing well. So could be good cover for the middle, we'll see though. 

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Will he play as the number 9? And will Mowbray start getting the best from his team?

Yes he should. 

Well he has too if he wants remain in a job

5 hours ago, RTM08 said:

Are we sure that we're more solid defensively? We've conceded in every game so far. 

I can only guess it's because last season we spent all year doing nothing with the ball whereas so far this season we just keep getting dominated so it looks like they're better even though we're still leaking goals for fun.

West Brom could have easily won 6/7-1 had it not been for the woodwork and Kaminski more than our defence. 

West Brom are a PL squad. We aren't. I'm not comparing us to them and imo we shouldn't be compare to them

Yes I think we are much better defensively and organised. Ayala on form and playing well. Lenihan good. We have took 5 away points from 3 away against teams I would expect us to challenging for these mid table spots. 

3 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

is a mid table finish even an achievement in this league!!!!!   for town teams or teams struggling financially... finishing mid table or just staying up in the prem league is a great achievement due to the obscene amounts of money the city clubs spend each year, but in the championship there's only really 2 things you can achieve play-offs or automatic promotion, so other than getting relegate anything else is just the truest definition of Meh! 

p.s. chaddy I've started noticing your posts a lot lately and im sorry but you seem like an enormous flipflopper as far as your opinions go.

What flip flopping? I've want a change of manager and since Barnsley away game last February. How can I be any clearer? 

But I think we have the squad for a mid table finish. But not a top 6 finish. 

Edited by chaddyrovers