BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

12 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Could the strategy be explained by the coincidence of Mowbrays contract and the FFP cycle?

So basically Mowbray limping on with no investment to clear the FFP balance and then giving someone new a clean slate with significant resources in the summer?

I've always thought that was the case. It's strange they went from spending £7m in consecutive seasons on permanent signings, then just £500,000. I know there's ffp to factor in, but it's still a strange one we didn't sign a striker.

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

I posted this on Thursday and Nixon posts his story today.

I stand by my Thursday post and think the next Rovers' manager will be either Alex Neil or Chris Wilder and sooner than many on here would think. 

Either of those would be a massive level up. You've got to admire Wilder's CV though.

5 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Nixon reporting this morning that Mowbrays on rocky ground with Venkys!!

Don't think that's earth shattering news if I'm being honest.

As your good self and I suggested towards the end of last season the plan apparently was to replace him but for whatever reason it fell through.

Nice to see Nixon catching up about four months later. Now however, we are where we are, and my guess would be if we don't look like we're going down in this transitional sort of season he might well get to see his contract out.

If there's no sign of those contracts being signed or if someone they previously fancied has come back and changed their minds though, who knows?

Can't happen soon enough for me. The sooner the better. We might save a few quid not paying him off but in footballing terms we'd be treading water at best for another 12 months.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

He has a point Rev. If they were getting rid it was end of last season.  He's seeing out his contract for sure.......its just whether his mate extends it between now and June 30th 

May 2022 I believe. My theory is that they will employ a new manager then and let them prep for the new season, unless it looks like we're sliding towards relegation in which case bring in someone earlier. A risky game as there could be an ideal candidate available that won't be next May.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46405156

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

He has a point Rev. If they were getting rid it was end of last season.  He's seeing out his contract for sure.......its just whether his mate extends it between now and June 30th 

If something happens imminently the timing would surprise me slightly I must admit.

When I put forward the view that things were about to improve over the next 12 months I didn't think they'd happen that quickly!

I don't think he sees out his contract no matter what. Coyle and Bowyer got the push when they looked like they were taking and might take us down respectively.

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If something happens imminently the timing would surprise me slightly I must admit.

When I put forward the view that things were about to improve over the next 12 months I didn't think they'd happen that quickly!

I don't think he sees out his contract no matter what. Coyle and Bowyer got the push when they looked like they were taking and might take us down respectively.

Good point - the compensation ratchets down significantly in the last year too. I’d be surprised if he’d get 3 months salary if he was to be potted today. 

2 hours ago, 4000Holes said:

Mowbray and Waggott should be relieved of their duties as soon as possible.  Apart from the transfer window debacle which they may claim they had their hands tied by Venkys, I look at the Brereton situation.  The lad is chosen to play for his country but because of the situation he will need to isolate on his return and miss 3 games.  Having now pi***d off the player and also his country they get FIFA involved and in all probability the lad will get a 2 game ban.  Remember this is a guy we are trying to get to sign a contract extension.  
For one extra missed game, we will probably lose him for nothing because I can’t see him signing an extension.  Instead of forging a relationship with Chile, where we had an opportunity to sell merchandise we have thoroughly upset them.

All down to rank bad management, because they are unable to see the bigger picture.  Can’t see beyond these noses.

Other clubs have stopped their players from travelling to red listed countries. 

FIFA should have sorted this mess out with different countries covid problems during the summer. But yet again they sit on their hands and do feck all

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

I stand by my Thursday post and think the next Rovers' manager will be either Alex Neil or Chris Wilder and sooner than many on here would think. 

Haven't both already rejected us after holding talks with us?

51 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

If Mowbray were to get canned along with Waggott, Park and Lowe I'll be popping a few bottles of Moët.

I don't see Waggott going anymore. 

Tho if what people have posted on here and him and Mowbray had big falling out last season and the lack of striker signing would have only added to the problem/tension. 

I'd love to see TM potted, his sour face would be a peach. Can TM look more miserable than he already does. Wilder would be great, with backing but seems a pipe dream. One curiosity I do have is why doesn't this Suhail chap take over Maggots job? He seems to have the ear of the venkys, is supposedly astute business wise and is now even trying to sort out signings? Surely he could do the role of chief executive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Well they need to get a move on given your prediction we will be in Admin by Christmas!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, pomster said:

Dont forget Suhail too

He was reported trying to sign a player just before deadline off his own bat too, but that fell through

Surely Mowbray must be feeling undermined? We need the trio gone and respected managers brought in

On what grounds does he have authority to do that if he's just a messenger boy ?

I think it's always been blatantly obvious this kind of thing has gone on at Ewood all along no matter who the manager is. All this xyz is in sole charge of transfers is gubbins under this ownership.

Do we have another Shebby Singh in our midst wielding a bit of clueless power around off his own bat ?  Albeit a publicity shy version of course, i wonder why that is.

Always the same bunch of names get linked but surely we can find some up and coming manger from across Europe with their own style of play. After about 4 years Mowbray still hasn't got a clue how to set the team up even though he signed all of them and still trying different styles/formations that always fail.

13 minutes ago, andyroversmad said:

Always the same bunch of names get linked but surely we can find some up and coming manger from across Europe with their own style of play. After about 4 years Mowbray still hasn't got a clue how to set the team up even though he signed all of them and still trying different styles/formations that always fail.

Will he pass the work permit rules? 

You know the right players to play any style of play. 

With our current players which style do you think would fit them best? 

3 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

tbf they got it right last time in signing Mowbraykeven if thay may just have been an happy accident 😅) he couldn't really have done much more in his first couple of seasons, but then the wheels came off and he's bee unable to take us to the next step and it's largely been down to his own doing due to poor tactics/strategies and general management so for the first time in the last 10 years not all blame can be put on the owners! they've allowed him to run the show as he(and his cronies waggot, et...) see fit and they've given them a reasonable transfer budget to work with over recent years and just left them to it for the most part it seems. 

I agree with a lot of that but it is the owners fault when they should be aware of what’s going on and when and if the trigger needs pulling. I’d argue at this point it’s only the owners fault as it’s been clear (at least to me) he’s needed potting for a while. If I was Tony at a club that wasn’t rovers I’d be doing exactly the same . The owners by accident or not made the right call hiring him and it’s them that have made the wrong call prolonging this never ending nothingness and not potting him to replace him with someone they believe is able to take us to the next step and inspire the players and fans alike to believe in something other than the baffling mess we currently are

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Will he pass the work permit rules? 

You know the right players to play any style of play. 

With our current players which style do you think would fit them best? 

Why should he have to come up with a style that fits the players best? He didn't bring them in. Mowbray's paid a ton of money for making that work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Other clubs have stopped their players from travelling to red listed countries. 

FIFA should have sorted this mess out with different countries covid problems during the summer. But yet again they sit on their hands and do feck all.

Some other clubs have allowed players to travel despite what FIFA have said.  They have taken a management decision on what is best for their club and quite rightly, given FIFAs track record.

Rovers on the other hand have hidden behind FIFA, there’s a surprise.

• Like 1

All these theories about Venkys planning to sack him in the past, that budgets have been cut because they dont trust him, that he is on rocky ground etc all seem like unfounded conspiracies to me. I think there is a few people desperate to justify previous predictions of an imminent sacking.

If Venkys genuinely dont trust Mowbray, removing any investment is not a constructive method or something that can be justified, it would be counter productive. I don't think that Venkys have a strong enough interest in our football club to have such a strong opinion on Mowbray, but if they do, there is no justifying keeping him on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4000Holes said:

Some other clubs have allowed players to travel despite what FIFA have said.  They have taken a management decision on what is best for their club and quite rightly, given FIFAs track record.

Rovers on the other hand have hidden behind FIFA, there’s a surprise.

And plenty of clubs haven't allowed their players to travel like Newcastle haven't. 

Fifa should have come up with a proper solution to it all weeks ago

3 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Could the strategy be explained by the coincidence of Mowbrays contract and the FFP cycle?

So basically Mowbray limping on with no investment to clear the FFP balance and then giving someone new a clean slate with significant resources in the summer?

It's my understanding the 3 year cycle is rolling, not a 3 year cycle and start again.

• Like 1

If the plan is to keep Mowbray until the end of the season then all the out of contract players will be going at the same time - why would they re-sign not knowing who the manger will be next season and why would Mowbray bother trying to persuade them?

Maybe it is Waggott's job to get players under new contracts. Does Waggott have a fixed term contract? will he still be here even if Mowbray leaves?

As for there being a plan to sack Mowbray last season but it 'fell through'! If that is true doesn't it just sum up our owners? Surely even they can't be that incompetent .

Nothing makes sense becaue Venky's have no interest and no plans. Rovers are just an afterthought.

1 hour ago, andyroversmad said:

Carlos Carvalhals contract out this summer at Braga and fancies a return to England. Done great things over in Portugal. Long shot probably but worth a punt. Saying that, I wanted Jokanovic and he’s not pulling up any trees at Sheff U.