BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

41 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I can fully believe that Balaji has been tasked with the majority of the 'management' (for want of a better word) of the project. He will be the one most expected to put in time and keep an eye on things

That might be better word for it. 

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Babu has been around Rovers since day 1.

Pasha has been around since 2015 since when Mowbray has been to India and had meetings with Mr Desai.

I believe Pasha was around then around. Didn't he meet Battersby and Currie when they were India meeting the owners. Sure has posted that on here. 

17 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont have an explanation, I just dont think that FFP is the only thing stopping them from being ambitious and engaging in a genuine attempt at moving the club forward. Nor do I leap to the illogical conclusion that Venkys dont trust Mowbray to the point whereby they give him no more money yet allow him to keep his job.

Venkys often lose interest to the point whereby they strip back any investment. 

But you leap to the illogical conclusion that an hypothesis I put forward is a "conspiracy theory."  Its no such thing, its speculation based on the facts as I see them. The point of a Message Board  I would have thought.

A bit rich especially when you offer no theory of your own. If we all posted that we don't know what's happening therefore there's no point in talking about it and that anyone who attempts a possible explanation is a conspiracy theorist then we'd  have no Message Board.

Perhaps the head company pays the wages and bills every season whilst Barry and pals chuck a few extra quid in for the odd player or two now and again ?

That would certainly fit the 'investment' line, he also might slip a few quid in other ways via commercial income etc to keep the wheels turning. I know they are rich but not sure he has enough personal dough to flush 20 million a year down the toilet plus fund his other investments.

8 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Balaji has his own money, but I'd be beyond amazed if he has 'spunk 20 million up the wall every year and it not be an issue' kind of money. It's clear that the additional financing for the club comes from the ultimate parent company, Venkys, as well as the other companies they own and their land deals. Balaji isn't getting his hands on that money without the agreement of the others, in particular Mrs Desai.

I can fully believe that Balaji has been tasked with the majority of the 'management' (for want of a better word) of the project. He will be the one most expected to put in time and keep an eye on things (again, only insomuch as any of them bother to do that), feed back to the others when relevant, and will get the most blame from the others when things go wrong, or credit when it goes well (hah). It's always been his pet project.

But I'm in no doubt that major decisions and in particular, large funding decisions, will have to be approved by all of them as we have always heard before. Even if they give what he says extra weight. They're not going to let him siphon this 200 million they've put in, from a major company, without weighing in on those decisions.

'Siphon'   that's an interesting word.

2 hours ago, 47er said:

But you leap to the illogical conclusion that an hypothesis I put forward is a "conspiracy theory."  Its no such thing, its speculation based on the facts as I see them. The point of a Message Board  I would have thought.

A bit rich especially when you offer no theory of your own. If we all posted that we don't know what's happening therefore there's no point in talking about it and that anyone who attempts a possible explanation is a conspiracy theorist then we'd  have no Message Board.

I am not suggesting that we stop trying to explain things that invariably we are unlikely to ever fully know the reasoning behind, and perhaps the word conspiracy is a little strong or ill advised. I just cant see personally how the specific theory put forward is likely to be true. I would personally suggest that they havent lost faith in Mowbray or indeed lack the interest levels and engagement to hold a strong opinion either way, perhaps aided by those between Mowbray and Venkys certainly not pushing for his sacking, and that the extreme budget cuts are something that have fairly suddenly happened more than once under Venkys (perhaps when they are particularly disengaged?) and are probably accelerated by the financial issues caused by the pandemic. I dont think or see any evidence that potential ambition from them is in any way stopped by FFP, and I see no reason to suggest that they dont trust him with money but do trust him to continue as manager.

It is like if I or anyone was to disagree with a suggested transfer target or potential new manager. It would be totally reasonable to dismiss the idea or not want that person even if I lacked full enough knowledge of potential alternatives in various leagues to be able to strongly recommend someone else.

• Backroom

Can’t believe he’s moaning that 5 minutes were signalled against Luton (they scored in the 4th minute of stoppage time anyway)

With the amount of scraps, stoppages plus subs and a goal I expected more than 5, was never going to be less.

Never his fault is it 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I am not suggesting that we stop trying to explain things that invariably we are unlikely to ever fully know the reasoning behind, and perhaps the word conspiracy is a little strong or ill advised. I just cant see personally how the specific theory put forward is likely to be true. I would personally suggest that they havent lost faith in Mowbray or indeed lack the interest levels and engagement to hold a strong opinion either way, perhaps aided by those between Mowbray and Venkys certainly not pushing for his sacking, and that the extreme budget cuts are something that have fairly suddenly happened more than once under Venkys (perhaps when they are particularly disengaged?) and are probably accelerated by the financial issues caused by the pandemic. I dont think or see any evidence that potential ambition from them is in any way stopped by FFP, and I see no reason to suggest that they dont trust him with money but do trust him to continue as manager.

It is like if I or anyone was to disagree with a suggested transfer target or potential new manager. It would be totally reasonable to dismiss the idea or not want that person even if I lacked full enough knowledge of potential alternatives in various leagues to be able to strongly recommend someone else.

Well we'll see. He'll either get a contract extension or he won't.

40 minutes ago, Tom said:

Can’t believe he’s moaning that 5 minutes were signalled against Luton (they scored in the 4th minute of stoppage time anyway)

With the amount of scraps, stoppages plus subs and a goal I expected more than 5, was never going to be less.

Never his fault is it 

Nope it never is. It's always somebody elses fault or bad luck as far as he is concerned. Personally, I like to single out the common denominator whenever this happens, and that is TM. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

Venky finance director and on the board of BRFC i believe although i'd be amazed if hes ever set foot in the place.

Probably still in India sorting out the 2017 tax evasion raids on 40 Venky's premesis 🙂

Edited by perthblue02

10 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Probably still in India sorting out the 2017 tax evasion raids on 40 Venky's premesis 🙂

Can you please explain these large amounts of uninvoiced cash on these premises ?

'It was the staff that did it, we know nothing'

15 hours ago, AJohnson said:

Bizarre and pretty needless comments from Mowbray at 4 mins 25 seconds here. Initially having a conversation about the standard of referees before questioning the relevance of any of his critics and stating they should apply for his job when he's gone. 

Hardly ever been the most dynamic of characters when speaking to the press but he looks like a fella who's waiting to be put out of his misery. You're not the only one Tony...Time to go!!!

I thought the "does it matter what Joe Bloggs says on social media? Who cares?" comment was quite telling. There was no need for it as the discussion was on refereeing decisions. Further on we have the comments that you mentioned and him saying how he would then sit at home and criticise every decision they make.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I think he's been made aware of this forum.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

I thought the "does it matter what Joe Bloggs says on social media? Who cares?" comment was quite telling. There was no need for it as the discussion was on refereeing decisions. Further on we have the comments that you mentioned and him saying how he would then sit at home and criticise every decision they make.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I think he's been made aware of this forum.

…I would love this man of integrity to be aware of this forum and, indeed read it .

Maybe he could explain the level of disgust , disbelief and general amazement that comes his way….maybe, once it’s explained the Joe Bloggs of us might learn to appreciate what a gem he is !

• Like 1

The reason why I think he knows about this forum is, that there have been a few comments made by him in interviews over the last year or so that have felt like he was responding to comments posted on here.

He also said in one interview that he doesn't do social media, but he is made aware of comments on it.

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Never his fault is it 

I don't think it's ever even his fault in his own head. Therein lies the problem, he doesn't see what he's fucking up, so he keeps repeating the same mistakes. A shame. If he had the capacity to learn from them he might be a good manager.

• Like 2

On 12/09/2021 at 10:19, PeteJD13 said:

Mowbray constantly cops the flack, but he’s been left with a wafer thin squad and very little in terms of options off the bench. Also I don’t think it’s the first time deals have been setup then changed last minute and they’ve fallen through. There’s no way Mowbray is happy with this squad any anger should be pointed at waggott and pasha for not getting deals over the line. Should Mowbray have gone in the summer arguably yes, he didn’t and they’ve left him with a wave thin squad and he is expected to work miracles   

This is the narrative he wants you to believe, because he said as much in his press conference. Don't fall for it.

Yesterday...

• Playing poorly  - check
  • Very lucky not to be a goal down - check
  • No clean sheet - check (17 games on)
  • Tactical change giving opposition space and confidence - check
  • Defense capitulating - check
  • £12m strikeforce misfiring - check
  • Losing a strong lead - check
  • Conceding more than one goal - check
  • Blame everyone but himself - check

I have a lot of criticism for Venkys and co but the above is all Mowbray. Over the last three years nothing has changed, it's just wearing very thin now.

Edited by booth
No idea why this has only just posted :/
  • Like 7

Mowbray and co have spent money over the last few years, mainly on wages stretching the payroll to busting. A slither of that on backroom staff and drones etc so he/they have made their own large contribution to where we are now.

Made their own bed in many ways so that's left us where we are having to rely on kids and loans. He knew the cuts were coming midway through last season he hinted at it more than once.

So as far as some are concerned he has presented this plan to the owners himself in order to reign in FFP and cover his own arse again.

I just do not get people sympathizing with him he's on an absolute doddle here he knows what hes doing. If he didn't like it or like the wages he'd have gone home by now.