BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

44 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Lowest attendance in years and years, Mowbray, Waggot and Venus need to go.

No one should be forgetting he won 2 in 17 last season.

I find the "2 in 17" focus to be bizarre really. A manager would never be praised on a focused run of wins, the only thing to judge on is the final league finish, which was 15th, and itself poor. Using soundbites of specific runs of form just discredits the genuine argument to get rid of him in my opinion. As much as the start to the season with a skeletal, under funded squad has been very encouraging. 

• Like 2

How about the preaching of the possession game he did for two years whilst trying to coach it into the team. Last night was yet again cast iron proof he's wasted two seasons and a good few million on that nonsense.

Any accountability ?  Nah under the carpet it goes, never happened instead now he's being idolised for turning around from a bad season.

The guy is insufferable to be honest but as someone said it's a results business. He's getting them at the min so if we maintain that it could be a surprisingly good season.

He's still a very very lucky man to be at this club though allowing his whims and failed experiments. Possibly having his back against the wall might spark a bolder reaction this season.

• Like 2

• Backroom

Mowbray himself said during the 2/17 debacle that any other manager would have been sacked for such a poor run of form, so I don't think highlighting it is strange at all - especially when the manager has a habit of taking us into death spirals which completely wreck our ambitions. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DE. said:

Mowbray himself said during the 2/17 debacle that any other manager would have been sacked for such a poor run of form, so I don't think highlighting it is strange at all - especially when the manager has a habit of taking us into death spirals which completely wreck our ambitions. 

Absolutely not, but such a run will naturally then impact on the final league position, which was much further away both in points and 4 league places from the season before which itself was underwhelming, so that 15th place finish would be justification as proof that his job had become untenable and he had become stagnant, without needing to highlight specific runs of form.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Absolutely not, but such a run will naturally then impact on the final league position, which was much further away both in points and 4 league places from the season before which itself was underwhelming, so that 15th place finish would be justification as proof that his job had become untenable and he had become stagnant, without needing to highlight specific runs of form.

I agree that the league position is the most important factor, but the 2/17 run certainly adds meat to the bones and emphasises one of Mowbray's key weaknesses - his inability to stop us descending into increasingly awful runs of form. 

“You know and I know that nobody gets carried away, I never do, because you can lose the next two and everyone will be telling you what you’re doing wrong...

This is pathetic. Why go and tell the media that we might lose the next two? The mentality should be we ARE going to win the next two games. This shoulder shrugging, dour, defeatist nonsense will absolutely transmit to the players and more than likely explains why we go on regular death spirals. 

How about you go and learn the game you've been involved with your whole life so that you're confident of how to win the next two games instead of doing what you've always done and being bang average at it?

No drive, no ambition, no inspiration. 

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

“You know and I know that nobody gets carried away, I never do, because you can lose the next two and everyone will be telling you what you’re doing wrong...

This is pathetic. Why go and tell the media that we might lose the next two? The mentality should be we ARE going to win the next two games. This shoulder shrugging, dour, defeatist nonsense will absolutely transmit to the players and more than likely explains why we go on regular death spirals. 

How about you go and learn the game you've been involved with your whole life so that you're confident of how to win the next two games instead of doing what you've always done and being bang average at it?

No drive, no ambition, no inspiration. 

I listened to an interview on GMR with the new manager at Bolton the other day. What a contrast to Mowbray’s muttering. He was very honest, frank, confident and very impressive. He was asked “ Whereabouts do you expect to be at the end of the season ? “ He said “ Promoted with Bolton Wanderers “. No Mowbrayesque chat about consolidation.
He’s brought a real buzz to Bolton and after being dead and buried they’re on the way back.

• Like 6

Perception, midset, attitude, ambition, drive and determination that failure isn't an option.

Yes you need combine it with realism and pragmatic expectation that says we are unlikely to bother the top 4 but......

All that has been all wrong here since we bounced back, they just settled in and set their stall out for a comfortable plod. An ambitious modest sized outfit or a middle of the road making up the numbers club ?

We know which one they've created, to the tune of tens of millions in the process. 

• Like 6

I think that one of the main factors in our decent start to the season is the quality across the back five. The infamous "defenders are coming" has actually happened. I am very happy with four of the five and wouldn't swap any of them. I still maintain that Lenihan is not a natural centre half and I would love to see someone else, maybe Carter, or Wharton when fit, alongside Ayala for a few games. Lenihan has never faced a genuine challenge for his place which isn't good.

Also to Mowbray's credit, he has assembled a young, fearless set of lads going forward. They can be exciting to watch. He looks to be finally jettisoning this 'big man playing wide' debacle which has hamstrung us for so long. 

Edited by Colt Seavers
  • Like 1

Nobody takes his words very seriously on much these days as he's prone to contradict himself a few days later. Then a month or so after that change the narrative completely.

That's football though things change but if he isn't here this time next season i'd be very very surprised.

• Like 1

It shouldn't be a consideration at all this season until March at the earliest.

If he doesn't like it or chooses to bail then fair enough it's his choice. He's had enough backing and wages out of the club in the last 5 years so actually trying to 'earn' a new deal does nobody any harm.

Chuck a 3 year extension in front of him and the foot will come off the gas before the ink is dry. Then it's all about the journey again, narrative reset.

Lets do it properly this time not letting sentiment or fear get in the way. By the same token if they are all set for change and not going to renew it whatever then he should be given the opportunity the leave in good grace.

He'd get a good send off that way.

• Like 4