BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Tbh, Bruce you want to find excuses after excuses to be negative and criticism the good start we had cos many people thought we wouldn't have 13 points from 8 games for sure. 

Who knows what will happen in this league in the next 38 games. I ain't going to predict it. Are you? But I hope if we are close to the top 6 then we sign 2 or 3 quality players to push for that top 6 finish

Maybe Rovers have younger squad is bringing the best out of Mowbray. I watched Mowbray yesterday as he was walking down the tunnel at half time talking to Dolan about his position on the pitch and at full time him and Rothwell was talking as they go down the tunnel. Not seen that before. I think him having a younger squad has rejuvenate him as a manager where he has to coach them more than manage them. 

Why would I want to find excuses to be negative? I'm just pointing out all angles. Of course I wouldn't have thought we would have 13 points or be in 6th by now, and of course I'm happy about it. But we've had good runs of form before under this manager only to death spiral, I'm not about to be conned again when our squad is paper thin, the teams we have played have all started poorly and we've rode our luck quite a bit.

Yes I'll have a crack at predicting it, why not? Just because you don't know the future doesn't mean you can't make guesses at it. I think we will death spiral once the injuries and better teams come along, and I think we will be back around mid-table by Christmas, probably finishing bottom half at the end of the season. Which is an improvement on my pre-season prediction of relegation. If we somehow end up in the playoffs, feel free to drag up this post and say I got it wrong, I'll be more than happy about it. It will, however, just have been a prediction. I predict roughly the right area of the table correctly most seasons, including the last two times we got relegated, but nobody gets it right all the time.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Here's my frustration with Mowbray.  The pragmatic 'defend first' and counter approach means we are picking up points in games where we wouldn't have last year. 

We are clearly a goalscorer short of really benefitting from this approach. 

Last year we had one.  A more suited to counter attacking striker you'd struggle to find.

Set the team up this way last year and I bet we finish a damn sight higher.

His stubbornness is often to the detriment of the team.

I've also had this thought lately, that we are finally setting up to counter attack now we have lost our best counter attacker, and what we could have achieved playing on the counter last season. Big wasted opportunity.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Correct. They do show form though. And we have played teams in poor form, almost exclusively.

If being near the bottom of the league after 8 games means you’re a poor side or in poor form, surely the converse applies and Rovers sitting in 6th must be a decent side or in decent form? You can’t have it both ways. 

Its too early to get hung up about league positions.

PS - I don’t disagree with your predictions as far as how Rovers season is likely to go necessarily.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

If being near the bottom of the league after 8 games means you’re a poor side or in poor form, surely the converse applies and Rovers sitting in 6th must be a decent side or in decent form? You can’t have it both ways. 

PS - I don’t disagree with your predictions as far as how Rovers season is likely to go necessarily.

Pretty sure in Readings 106 Championship season they were in the bottom 3 after 6 or so games.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

It only shows form this early, not the real standard of the side. And yes, the converse applies that we are in good form, I've never suggested otherwise. I'm not trying to have it 'both ways'. Form is temporary, class is permanent as they say.

We have beaten teams in poor form, which has contributed to us having good form. We're doing well. All I'm saying is it doesn't make us a top side in this league, which you seem to agree with. Hopefully we are wrong and it continues.

• Like 2

We have a settled back line and the starting line up isn't changing that much. I think that shows in results and performances. We are stodgy rather than pretty this season and it's getting draws rather than 0-1s.

Managers hand as been forced on this somewhat and he isn't trying to keep happy a host of senior pros. Perhaps that suits him a bit more, perhaps he's more comfortable bossing young lads rather than fragile egos.

Whatever it is it has benefited us so far this season considering the squad is very lightweight. Just like finally having a proper keeper though has made a big difference so has finally having a proper central defender. 

Seriously how long is it since we had a proper one ? 

Still the same things happen though that raise concerns but that is how Mowbray works he will never change. If he managed Man City he'd do the same things it's his dna so you do fear, like last season that at some point the rotating on confusing stuff will commence.

Now if he'd just lay off all that for one season ! Let the team itself actually evolve instead of being more concerned about individuals it might turn out worthwhile.

Edited by tomphil

5 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Why would I want to find excuses to be negative? I'm just pointing out all angles. Of course I wouldn't have thought we would have 13 points or be in 6th by now, and of course I'm happy about it. But we've had good runs of form before under this manager only to death spiral, I'm not about to be conned again when our squad is paper thin, the teams we have played have all started poorly and we've rode our luck quite a bit.

You aren't pointing out all angles at all. The fixtures list is the fixtures list. 

I see this team and squad having a better team spirit and togetherness than I see in previous seasons. We have settle back 4 at the minute with them looking very good. Also I see Mowbray having to coach this young squad instead of managing the squad last season. I witnessed him talking to Dolan and Rothwell instead as they went down the tunnel. Never seen that before

Disagree on the squad is paper thin. We lack a quality striker and if we had sign Lowe or Maja or Healey. Defensively we look strong and plenty of options.. plenty of centre midfield options. Kaminski is solid as rock

5 hours ago, bluebruce said:

es I'll have a crack at predicting it, why not? Just because you don't know the future doesn't mean you can't make guesses at it. I think we will death spiral once the injuries and better teams come along, and I think we will be back around mid-table by Christmas, probably finishing bottom half at the end of the season. Which is an improvement on my pre-season prediction of relegation. If we somehow end up in the playoffs, feel free to drag up this post and say I got it wrong, I'll be more than happy about it. It will, however, just have been a prediction. I predict roughly the right area of the table correctly most seasons, including the last two times we got relegated, but nobody gets it right all the time.

I don't see us getting relegation with the current squad at all. Thought that in the summer and still believe that. 

If we finish mid table this season I would be happy with that tbh. Predict mid table finish before the start of the season. 

I don't see plenty of better teams out there. I see 4 or 5 quality teams in the teams then around 12 or 13 teams of similar quality which I think we are one of. then 6 or 7 teams that will be bottom of the 6 in this league

8 hours ago, tomphil said:

Whatever it is it has benefited us so far this season considering the squad is very lightweight. Just like finally having a proper keeper though has made a big difference so has finally having a proper central defender. 

Seriously how long is it since we had a proper one ? 

Ironic isn't it? Now we finally have a decent keeper and the defence is improved, we don't have a decent central striker despite spending £12M on 2!

You couldn't make it up!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 47er said:

Ironic isn't it? Now we finally have a decent keeper and the defence is improved, we don't have a decent central striker despite spending £12M on 2!

You couldn't make it up!

And seeing as we've not had to sell a player either for years,  have thrown ample good money thrown on wages. Then now had the budget slashed it might finally dawn on some there'll never be a promotion challenge under this set up, ever.

Results are decent at the moment. But we all know that a horrendous run could hit us at any moment. It's happened every season with Mowbray, and we are even more vulnerable to it now as the squad is so thin. Injuries to any of (in priority order) Kaminski, Ayala, Lenihan, Brereton, Rothwell, Pickering, Nyambe would all leave us in serious problems I think as we just don't have backfill. Statistically it's going to happen at some point. 

So it's great to get the points on the board, I am supporting the team 100%, but realistically it's hard to feel it's going to last. Mowbray can build teams that get results for a while, but struggles with resilience.

22 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Just loving a 0-0 draw at Barnsley and letting a lead slip last minute to the mighty Luton.  Mate, this time last year we were 4th, let's not get too carried away with your "moment'

Well I hope you enjoyed that moment too, something tells me you probably didn’t though. 

13 hours ago, Lucimo said:

I see a certain someone who was adamant that Mercer was wrong about Alex Neil, is now begging Nixon to tell him if he may get the Rovers job being he was at the game. 😂😂

According to PNE source, Alex Neil has been seen at Rovers games?

https://www.deepdaledigest.com/news/report-former-pne-boss-alex-neil-spotted-watching-blackburn-rovers-wants-return-to-management/

Edited by pomster

29 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'm too realistic under this knob.  Going nowhere fast.

I don't think he will ever get us promoted but he is a steady manager at this level.

Did a quick look at the table last season as well to see the amazing form last season you mentioned. After 8 games last season we were 12th in the league with 10 points. We had lost 4 times the latest being a 2-4 at home to Reading.

This season after 8 games we are in 6th with 13 points having only lost 1 game.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, roverblue said:

I don't think he will ever get us promoted but he is a steady manager at this level.

Did a quick look at the table last season as well to see the amazing form last season you mentioned. After 8 games last season we were 12th in the league with 10 points. We had lost 4 times the latest being a 2-4 at home to Reading.

Yes, a factual analysis of results to date point to a significant improvement on last season so we can be optimistic for the future.

35 minutes ago, roverblue said:

Haven't we been saying for years now that Mowbray's first priority should have been to fix the defence? Didn't we point out Howard Kendal's team always sneaking 1-0 wins, which you  can't do if you leak goals?!

Didn't he waste big transfer money (for us) on forwards who disappoint anyway when there were gaping holes at the back?

Didn't we keep saying "a good manager builds from the back"?

Didn't we sell a terrific keeper in Raya and not have a replacement for a whole season?

Why did we lose 2-4 at home to Reading?

He's out of his depth.

35 minutes ago, roverblue said:

Thankyou for telling us the different season stats and league between last season and this one. 

35 minutes ago, Boroblue said:

As it stands we’ve got off to a good start and sit in the play off places. Logic would say Mowbray is safe but this is Venkies. Kean went when we were 4th. I’ve got my fingers crossed that they randomly pull the trigger because now would be the ideal time for a new manager

I don't see Mowbray being sack at this time and tbh we would be crazy to do so. Mowbray a very different manager right now then I've seen in previous season. He seems to be almost enjoying being in charge of young squad. 

Kean left cos of Shebby. 

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't see Mowbray being sack at this time and tbh we would be crazy to do so. Mowbray a very different manager right now then I've seen in previous season. He seems to be almost enjoying being in charge of young squad. 

Let's be honest Chaddy, whenever you've commented on TMBWA being sung at games this season, it's been you leading the chant.

Decent runs of form under Mowbray are nothing new - last season is correctly thought of as being a shocker, but we were in 7th as late as February, and around late November/early December we registered another thumping (PNE away) and we were grinding out results that people said we would have lost the season before (which is what people are saying right now about recent games....) such as Millwall and Barnsley at home, and Brentford away. Shows how things can change quickly when you see the stinking run we went on second half of the season.

Unfortunately the past few years suggest that a) this league position is probably as good as it'll get this season and we'll never enter the top 6 again once we drop out, and b) a bad run of form probably isn't too far away. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, frosty said:

Let's be honest Chaddy, whenever you've commented on TMBWA being sung at games this season, it's been you leading the chant.

I don't lead any chants at all. But its seem that people who attends games are behind Mowbray as manager.

Now we might want a different manager at the club but Mowbray is in the place of manager until Balaji/Venkys decide to change that fact. 

Like I said previously I see a very different Mowbray compare to last season or even the season before. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Haven't we been saying for years now that Mowbray's first priority should have been to fix the defence? Didn't we point out Howard Kendal's team always sneaking 1-0 wins, which you  can't do if you leak goals?!

Didn't he waste big transfer money (for us) on forwards who disappoint anyway when there were gaping holes at the back?

Didn't we keep saying "a good manager builds from the back"?

Didn't we sell a terrific keeper in Raya and not have a replacement for a whole season?

Why did we lose 2-4 at home to Reading?

He's out of his depth.

Well it looks like Mowbray heard us and has now sorted things out at the back and we are doing well 👍

I can understand getting at the manager when we are on a terrible run and falling down the league, I am sure all fans can.

But at the moment whether by luck or judgement he has got together a decent team that are getting results. It won't last but please enjoy it whilst it does otherwise why be a football fan in the first place.

• Like 1