BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

12 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Is go as far as to say all the best Rovers sides in my lifetime (Including the PL winning team) have played like we are now. Hard working, industrious, honest lads who play on the front foot, defend for their lives and care.

Of course we’ve had better quality players over the years but my opinion is that this way is the Rovers way! 

With any team you need to play to your strengths and not impose ways of playing that don’t suit the players skill set.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

With any team you need to play to your strengths and not impose ways of playing that don’t suit the players skill set.

But he wanted to that style last snd before season but then didn't sign players that fitted that style. That's my biggest problem. 

Now this season we have players that fit counter attacking style and good solid defensively unit

In a way giving the players and Mowbray new contracts scares me insofar as it would upset the balance. Are they all fighting so hard because they are nearly out of contract? It has happened. Maybe I'm too cynical. Obviously signing the players up is the astute financial play here. 

Mowbrays future, whether here or elsewhere will be vastly different depending on how this season goes. If he got us into the play offs and still hadn't signed a new deal, his stock would be very high. I just want him to keep keeping things simple!

I think Lenihan will sign a new deal, but I suspect Rothwell will be sold in January 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

We were 10th, what are you chunnering on about....? 

He bought a villa in Spain was it on the proceeds of his Newcastle pay-off. If that's losing in life, can someone teach he how to be a loser as well? 

I was never that keen on Sam. I seen too remember him confessing that he basically chucked a game at old Trafford that I think we lost right nil or so. But then again, I can't complain, but I often do. 

I was never happy that he was binned, especially so early after Venky's took over, alarm bells were ringing. You only bin your manager if he's taking you down, or you already have someone proven to be better already lined up. 

Ever since, we've had piss takers in charge of the club, and we're dying on our arse. 

I seen too remember John Williams binning it and saying it's clear things are going to be done differently at the  club now and it's time for me to go. How we've missed him. 

I don't know how I've coped with eleven years of this nonsense, I wouldn't wish if on my worst enemy. It's the lack of respect the owners show for the club that really hurts. 

• Like 6

I liked fat Sam after ince he was just the thing the club needed. For me the football wasn’t nearly as bad as the style of football Mowbray adopted last season.

Even though we gave the big boys a bloody nose every now and again under fat Sam if we played say Man U away on Saturday then Stoke on Wednesday. He’d 100% naff off the utd game in favour of stoke. But 99% of the time in those scenarios we backed it up with wins over our nearer rivals.

Ultimately the proof was in the pudding under his management we finished his last full season in 10th and were in 10th when the Venkys rocked up. Had they left him in situ there’s no reason for me to believe we wouldn’t have finished the next few season as a mid table premier league club. 

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, broadsword said:

He bought a villa in Spain was it on the proceeds of his Newcastle pay-off. If that's losing in life, can someone teach he how to be a loser as well? 

I was never that keen on Sam. I seen too remember him confessing that he basically chucked a game at old Trafford that I think we lost right nil or so. But then again, I can't complain, but I often do. 

I was never happy that he was binned, especially so early after Venky's took over, alarm bells were ringing. You only bin your manager if he's taking you down, or you already have someone proven to be better already lined up. 

Ever since, we've had piss takers in charge of the club, and we're dying on our arse. 

I seen too remember John Williams binning it and saying it's clear things are going to be done differently at the  club now and it's time for me to go. How we've missed him. 

I don't know how I've coped with eleven years of this nonsense, I wouldn't wish if on my worst enemy. It's the lack of respect the owners show for the club that really hurts. 

I hated the Allardyce tenure….I remember walking out of games that we’d won or drawn in the 91st minute coming from the 1000th long ball into the box feeling completely empty! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree. Forget the possession based dull football of last season and get the ball forward earlier. We aren’t Barcelona but we do have plenty of willing runners in the team

And yet on the post match interview Mowbray was still defending the possession based football that took us to 15th last season.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

But he wanted to that style last snd before season but then didn't sign players that fitted that style. That's my biggest problem. 

Now this season we have players that fit counter attacking style and good solid defensively unit

Same players, almost. Different tactics.

Edited by rigger

3 minutes ago, rigger said:

Same players, almost. Diferent tactics.

well it isn't the same players as 2 seasons is it. Ayala, Kaminski, Pickering, Dolan. Plus Brereton, Rothwell, Buckley, Travis and Nyambe 2 years older, wiser and more experience. Plus alot of older players have gone aswell. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

well it isn't the same players as 2 seasons is it. Ayala, Kaminski, Pickering, Dolan. Plus Brereton, Rothwell, Buckley, Travis and Nyambe 2 years older, wiser and more experience. Plus alot of older players have gone aswell. 

Did you note I stated Almost the same players. Besides you were compairing the players and tactics of last season, to the players and tactics of this season 

7 minutes ago, rigger said:

Did you note I stated Almost the same players. Besides you were compairing the players and tactics of last season, to the players and tactics of this season 

I was comparing to the last 2 previous seasons rigger not just last season but the squad is very different and we have much younger, more energetic and athletic squad than we did then 

• Backroom
50 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I hated the Allardyce tenure….I remember walking out of games that we’d won or drawn in the 91st minute coming from the 1000th long ball into the box feeling completely empty! 

Out of curiosity I took a look at average attendences during this period:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/blackburn-rovers/besucherzahlenentwicklung/verein/164

Not sure on the veracity of these stats, but if true then the 09/10 season actually saw the highest average attendence at Ewood since the 02/03 campaign, suggesting Sam's football wasn't bad enough to stop people coming to watch.

The drop off after 11/12 is absolutely brutal.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well him and his team definitely gave the fans a excellent display yesrerday and currently are 6th place. Thought some of the football was as good as we seen under Mowbray. 

Mowbray just need to keep things simple and organise. No need for over thinking the game or switching tactics. Stick to playing counter attacking football 

This is the problem. He has shown many times that he knows how to get it right, but something will inevitably go wrong in his napper and he will return to type and mess around with formations and tactics. One would think he’s been told to keep us mid table. Tin hat conspiracy theory time 😂

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Allardyce called his villa in Spain he bought from his Newcastle pay off St James Park so I am told

I think he just said that to goad the Geordies, I don’t think it was actually a thing.

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

If you are walking out feeling empty after winning games I would say that says more about you than Big Sam's style of football.

I loved that 9-10 season, only 3 home defeats all season, including beating Arsenal and drawing with the other 3 of of the "big 4", good away wins at Bolton and Burnley, plus a league Cup Semi final run.

Night and day to anything we have experienced since.

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, Uxbridge rover said:

Guaranteed he won’t. 

Course he won't, we'll have players out of position, strange substitutions and trying to play possession football whilst parking the bus during 1-0 leads in no time. I hope he proves me wrong.

• Like 1