BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, Neal said:

Christ on a bike, you're still pedalling this argument of people being "reactionary" , some of us have been saying this over the past 8 months, you've been told this countless times. I'm not repeating myself to you, please learn to read posts yourself before telling others what and what not to read. 

As I have specifically stated multiple times - if you’re outlook right now is “Mowbray out” without context - you know nothing about football. 

When you’ve got past that sentence, you’ll see there’s no argument against being anti Tm, it’s criticism of reactionary poorly timed stuff.

Just accept that you disagree and think all the instant reactions to yesterday are warranted, it’ll do us both a favour.

4 hours ago, Harry The Bass said:

The point is simple Neal. If you’re so reactionary, you’re response to yesterday is “enough is enough”; you know literally nothing about football. If that’s so hard to take, id stop reading alternative thoughts! 

I seem to remember a poll on here many months ago about keeping mowbray....to say its reactionary to just yesterdays game, considering the defence and mowbray comments about it months ago, you are coming across as disingenuous. Half the board knows nowt then eh mate?

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 4

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

I seem to remember a poll on here many months ago about keeping mowbray....to say its reactionary to just yesterdays game, considering the defence and mowbray comments about it months ago, you are coming across as disingenuous. Half the board knows nowt then eh mate?

Since yesterday this thread re-emerged, is that not singular proof that some posters instant reaction to the defeat is Mowbray out?

Clear as day.

Edited by Harry The Bass

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

I think the manner and you know it.

Performance or manner of defeat was never part of the point, I’m quite sure you realise the point is only taking 90 minutes into a new season to revert back to “Mowbray Out!”

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

Performance or manner of defeat was never part of the point, I’m quite sure you realise the point is only taking 90 minutes into a new season to revert back to “Mowbray Out!”

Yes it's not what we want ideally but unless this changes dramatically soon it will grow.  Only on here though...

Ewood wont moan for months 

10 hours ago, broadsword said:

I can't understand it. He doesn't seem a foolish geezer from the things he says. But my god, he transfers are gash, of at least a mixed bag, the squad is unbalanced and the line-ups don't make sense. 

Is he being told who to sell and who to buy and who to pick? 

If we bin him, who do we get in? Someone like coyle again? I think damien Johnson would do a good job, just a feeling. 

In all honesty, this club won't get anywhere while venkys are still here anyway

Thing is, Bryan, it has to. Our only hope is lucking out on a shrewd, successful manager like Bumley did.

I don’t expect players would cross Dyche, whereas I can well imagine certain players playing Mowbray for a fool and others bewildered by him at times.

For instance, Brereton under Mowbray is like is microcosmic version of Rovers under Venkys. They must think they’ve made an expensive mistake and won’t do enough to make them successful yet they won’t admit it and sell them. Like Rovers fans, he must wonder why he was ever bought in the first place.

Personally - despite being a Nuttall fan - I’m rooting for young Ben. I just hope Mowbray doesn’t ruin him like Venkys have ruined Rovers.

• Like 1

There needs to be a new terrace chant: “it’s only one game”.

We can just sing it after every defeat and forget anything else apart from being fully-focussed on not reacting badly to the one defeat. If we had started it last season then the reaction when we had 9 “only one game” defeats in a 11 matches it would have been much more positive around here.

Of course when we win one game the chant has to be about how we are going to get promoted...

...or, for a change, how much we “hate Bumley”. :rolleyes:

Of course, in reality, everyone has their final straw, no matter how insignificant that final straw would be in isolation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paul said:

I didn't hear anyone criticise the manager. Seems to me there are plenty on here who should put their money where their mouth is. Apply for the vacancy if it arises. It's very easy to shout from the sidelines with very little knowledge of the real pressures, issues and daily workings within the club.

I don't buy the pressures and issues argument at all. Mowbray is handsomely rewarded and has been in professional football all his working life. If he can't handle any pressure then he should resign. The issues we see on the pitch have been created by Mowbray and his reluctance to fix something which he acknowledged is clearly broken. Supporters are reacting to his negligence in the defensive areas of the team. I get the impression that he rules the roost at the club and doesn't have anybody to answer to. With absent owners I think all the senior figures at Ewood have an easy ride.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Paul said:

I didn't hear anyone criticise the manager. Seems to me there are plenty on here who should put their money where their mouth is. Apply for the vacancy if it arises. It's very easy to shout from the sidelines with very little knowledge of the real pressures, issues and daily workings within the club.

What a really silly post. I know I couldn't manage Rovers, Mowbray doesn't imo.

If I criticise Boris Johnson, should I apply for his job?

Are we to live in criticism-free zone where everybody can be as bad as they like?

As a Rovers supporter I'm not qualified to be manager but I'm bloody sure I'm qualified to critique the one we have.

And I heard  very strong criticism of TM's managership as we were leaving the ground. Bewilderment at his transfers, his selection and his subs.

Very common comment--"League One defence"

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Harry The Bass said:

As I have specifically stated multiple times - if you’re outlook right now is “Mowbray out” without context - you know nothing about football. 

When you’ve got past that sentence, you’ll see there’s no argument against being anti Tm, it’s criticism of reactionary poorly timed stuff.

Just accept that you disagree and think all the instant reactions to yesterday are warranted, it’ll do us both a favour.

I've no problem debating with you, many people having given you quite in depth explanations and reasonings but if you're just going to peddle the same words and phrases then there's no point.

Just now, Neal said:

I've no problem debating with you, many people having given you quite in depth explanations and reasonings but if you're just going to peddle the same words and phrases then there's no point.

No explanation or reasoning can justify “Mowbray out” 30 minutes after the first game of the season in my view Neal, that’s basically it.

Just now, Harry The Bass said:

No explanation or reasoning can justify “Mowbray out” 30 minutes after the first game of the season in my view Neal, that’s basically it.

Yeah, for the millionth time...

IT'S NOT ABOUT ONE GAME. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

I don't see this - in my view Mowbray is under no pressure at all from above.

His remit is most likely to keep Rovers out of trouble and safe in the Championship - hence the conservative team selections and lack of risk taking.

Let's face it, Mowbray got a nose-bleed when we reached the dizzy heights of 7th last season.

Why should he put his nice sinecure at risk by raising expectations? 

I picked a bit of gossip up at Saturday's match which kind of gelled with other bits I'd heard over recent weeks.

It might be right, it might be wrong, it might fall somewhere in between - that's the nature of gossip, speculation whatever you want to call it.

Transfer fee wise, I've been saying most of the summer I thought we barely had a pot to p1ss in (Gallagher financed in the main by Raya).  I also think we are now at the stage where every £ spent on fees / wages has to be met by at least the same coming in.  I think, barring injury, Gallagher will virtually start every match whether it be as lone striker or shunted out wide (likely Venky's deal caveat after Brereton).

I also think there's a feeling Mowbray's been given more than a fair shot at it and Venky's are seeing their debt rack up and up.  There comes a tipping point and words of 'steady build and evolution' may not prove enough should August's league fixtures prove to be disappointing for Rovers.

Time will tell.  

On 03/08/2019 at 23:33, DE. said:

An interesting read six months later. "Targeting 25-28 year old men"...

Johnson - 32
Downing - 35
Gallagher - 23
Tosin - 21
Walton - 23

Nope.

I just wish he'd stick to his word. I'd really like for a supporter to do a podcast interview or something with him, discuss these things he's said and ask what has changed. He may still come out with nonsense but right now it just feels like he's continually lying about doing things, then failing to deliver and saying it's okay. 

I said in that thread he will do or die by this summer window.  4 days left to turn a league one defence into a championship top ten one...

Just now, Neal said:

Yeah, for the millionth time...

IT'S NOT ABOUT ONE GAME. 

You don’t get to tell me how I feel above others viewpoints Neal, that’s the point of a forum.

I just think (regardless of how long you’ve already felt this) its a poorly timed reaction and post, and as Paul said - a new low when coming into the forum post match (in terms of seeing content I can’t quite believe I’m reading).

5:28pm after the first game of the season. It’s just utterly mind boggling for me pal.

If you’d included the caveat “it’s not the right time” it would’ve changed things considerably. I think the way you did the “if Charlton are relegation fodder what are we” probably sums up how we view football very differently.

I don’t subscribe to the rumour mill or gossip! No one outside the club has got a clue what the goings on are inside the club, no one knows how venkys feel toward TM or any of his signings, no one knows anything about ins and outs unless it is announced by the club because I don’t suspect for a minute ANYONE on here is a member of the inner circle of confidence employed at Ewood! It is all pure speculation and thoughtless/groundless rumours. It really is funny reading views of many and yet NOT one is or has been employed in professional football at Championship or higher ????

For instance Dack was rumoured to be valued at £20m and various clubs were in for him - they weren’t and he isn’t valued at anywhere near that amount, his last 6 months have put paid to that amount being paid.

Lenihan valued at £4-£5 million and being coveted by Sheff Utd - bids turned down so there are other well established clubs who clearly see him as a player YET so enjoy on here know better and think he is rubbish!

Mulgrew club captain and Scottish first pick! Yes he has had a bad few games and made mistakes but if he was really that bad would he be where he has and would he ever achieve what he does? Clearly those within football think he does and is yet on here opinions from fans are all negative!

The same with Nyambe, Bennett, and Hart and many others. Within football there are clear people who know what these players are about, what they can bring to a team YET the experts on here think otherwise!

Can anyone see the repeating pattern?

Its not a personal dig at anyone before the inevitable ban or warning, it’s a fact! 

Come on ladies and gents relax, the sun is still shining and it’s still summer, take a break take a pill and support everything that is BrFc

and finally, wear sunscreen??????

• Backroom
11 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I don’t really want him sacked, but he’s got four days to sign more defenders.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts too.

He knew the task in hand and was very vocal about it at the end of last season. 

It'll either be mission accomplished or mission failed by the end of the week.

If it is mission failed then he has completely let down 8,500 season ticket holders and bullshitted the lot of us.

• Like 4

Just now, 1864roverite said:

I don’t subscribe to the rumour mill or gossip! No one outside the club has got a clue what the goings on are inside the club, no one knows how venkys feel toward TM or any of his signings, no one knows anything about ins and outs unless it is announced by the club because I don’t suspect for a minute ANYONE on here is a member of the inner circle of confidence employed at Ewood! It is all pure speculation and thoughtless/groundless rumours. It really is funny reading views of many and yet NOT one is or has been employed in professional football at Championship or higher ????

Ewood and Brockhall used to leak like sieves and though things have been tightened considerably they are not bone dry!

I've been involved in all types of organisations over the years from small to multinational and I know from experience it is well nigh impossible to keep the lid on everything.  You only need to look at government to see how things even leak from cabinet only minutes after meetings have ended!

I think your assertion is wrong.

Edited by Mercer

Just now, Madon said:

This pretty much sums up my thoughts too.

He knew the task in hand and was very vocal about it at the end of last season. 

It'll either be mission accomplished or mission failed by the end of the week.

If it is mission failed then he has completely let down 8,500 season ticket holders and bullshitted the lot of us.

None of us want him to fail, he's a nice bloke but as you say if he doesn't sort out the glaring issues after openly admitting them and stating his intention to address them... Wow, that's a big slap in the face. 

Not only that but Joe Rothwell... What the fuck is he playing at??? 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

We’ve had many a manager that have taken poor form into a new season. I won’t mention the bald one as I’ll get the ‘YOU CANNOT COMPARE OUR TONE TO HIM!’. But Souness, Kidd, Hodgson, Mackay, Harford off the top of my head.

Want him sacked or just worried, opinions don’t just reset because it’s August

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

Just now, Mattyblue said:

We’ve had many a manager that have taken poor form into a new season. I won’t mention the bald one as I’ll get the ‘YOU CANNOT COMPARE OUR TONE TO HIM!’. But Kidd, Hodgson, Mackay off the top of my head.

Want him sacked or just worried, opinions don’t just reset because it’s August

A point some people find too hard to understand. Well said. 

Edited by Neal

I can take a bad result like Saturday's on the chin because bad results can happen at any time to even the best teams but Mowbray has lost an awful lot of Brownie points by not strengthening the defence, and it is this failure more than anything that I think fans find most frustrating.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

For instance Dack was rumoured to be valued at £20m and various clubs were in for him - they weren’t and he isn’t valued at anywhere near that amount, his last 6 months have put paid to that amount being paid.

Lenihan valued at £4-£5 million and being coveted by Sheff Utd - bids turned down so there are other well established clubs who clearly see him as a player YET so enjoy on here know better and think he is rubbish!

Mulgrew club captain and Scottish first pick! Yes he has had a bad few games and made mistakes but if he was really that bad would he be where he has and would he ever achieve what he does? Clearly those within football think he does and is yet on here opinions from fans are all negative!

The same with Nyambe, Bennett, and Hart and many others. Within football there are clear people who know what these players are about, what they can bring to a team YET the experts on here think otherwise!

Can anyone see the repeating pattern?

Its not a personal dig at anyone before the inevitable ban or warning, it’s a fact! 

Come on ladies and gents relax, the sun is still shining and it’s still summer, take a break take a pill and support everything that is BrFc

and finally, wear sunscreen??????

Yes. The repeating pattern is the experts continually making the wrong decisions?

Football analysis is always fascinating.  We don't see training sessions, work on tactics, have personal or professional freindships with these players.  A manager lives inside that bubble and will react accordingly.  

As fans, we watch from a distance - have no bond to players and analyse what we see over 90 mins every weekend.  You could argue we have a clearer view of the performance than those involved.

Ex pros (Gallagher, Atko) have been scathing of the defence and some performances over the last 12 months.  Do they know nothing or just compare what they see against other teams - using their judgement...just like the fans do. 

• Like 3