BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

14 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

It's mad that on his current forecast of the last 34 games we'll win a total of 11 games this season.

How he's still in the job is mental, really appreciate Jaquob Crookes article, shame Rich Sharpe has said absolutely nothing negative.

Par of the course when the main criterias for a manager of Venky's Blackburn Rovers is ,

Madam thinks you are a nice man and you work long hours.

Give Madam, Barry and Tache the occasional verbal rimming,

Your Agent or mate is running the club

Take your Mrs to have a girly night in with Mrs D

and if all that fails get your Mrs to ring up Madame and cry for your job

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

If for no other reason, we need a change of manager simply for change's sake.

The whole thing is stale and the fans need a shot in the arm, something new to believe in.

I'd hope that the next manager was appointed as part of a plan for the club based on rebuilding and surviving (even, thriving). I don't what that strategy would be exactly, but, with the Premier League being carried into the inflation stratosphere by wealthy owners and Brexit, I believe, potentially affecting overseas recruitment (I have very little knowledge on free movement at the moment, but this is what I understand), the richest picking for lower level clubs with be in young Irish and British players. I'd like Rovers to rekindle their youth scouting in Ireland and Scotland, where, in the past we've found some talent. Disaffected Premier League fringe players would also be an area to add to the first team. And, if we can also have international scout looking out for the next Kaminski, ready-made for the first team, that would add greatly to the team.

This is just a small aspect of a potential strategy but, if we have a developed plan along these lines, we can attune the criteria for a manager accordingly. I'd even be tempted to try and bring back Billy Barr, in some senior capacity, given the job he did with the U23s. Alternatively, Damien Johnson as assistant manager, to provide that link with the youth set-up.

Edit: An active youth-senior progression strategy is important too, even if, simply to raise transfer fees. Blackpool actually paid money for our ex-reserve strike Joe Nuttall. I suspect it was not just for his Rovers U23 goals - but also, because he had Rovers senior caps.  

Edited by riverholmes

3 hours ago, BRFC4EVA said:

Agreed Chaddy. The change was very noticeable on the Facebook pages. There are alot of 'in Tony we trust' clowns on there, but they were very quiet after the qpr game. Much more so then after Cov, because that was 'played well', 'we were unlucky', 'cov are 4th only expected a point' etc.

Get him gone NOW 

Pretty soon that’ll just be Burnley trolls.

Oh I forgot it only takes a draw to get them clapping again.

A win and promotion is back on.

Edited by booth
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Swanson said:

Been a fan since 93, but never been so indifferent to the club as I am now, and that as a awful feeling as a fan. I think the bad run last season is to blame, and it is not because we did not win matches, but it is the lack of action and commitment from the owners.

I did not renew my iFollow for this season, mainly because of Mowbray, and so far I have not regreted it. I check the results, but I am not looking forward to the matches as much as I used to do, and usually do some other stuff when we play. Because you will have the feeling, even how bad we will play (again), there is not going to be any change of the manager. It is like a rudderless ship. Weak CEO and and a weak manager.

But hopefully he can't be manager for Blackburn as long as he want (or can he?) 

And our next manager should be Ketil Knutsen btw. Probably unknown to everyone here, but have done wonders with Bodø/Glimt in Norway. Won the league last year and tonight they demolished Rome 6-1! (Mourinho's worst defeat ever I think). The football his team are playing is amazing to watch at times.

Totally agree in respect of the choice of next manager. I can’t believe nobody has come in for Knutsen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swanson said:

Been a fan since 93, but never been so indifferent to the club as I am now, and that as a awful feeling as a fan. I think the bad run last season is to blame, and it is not because we did not win matches, but it is the lack of action and commitment from the owners.

I did not renew my iFollow for this season, mainly because of Mowbray, and so far I have not regreted it. I check the results, but I am not looking forward to the matches as much as I used to do, and usually do some other stuff when we play. Because you will have the feeling, even how bad we will play (again), there is not going to be any change of the manager. It is like a rudderless ship. Weak CEO and and a weak manager.

But hopefully he can't be manager for Blackburn as long as he want (or can he?) 

And our next manager should be Ketil Knutsen btw. Probably unknown to everyone here, but have done wonders with Bodø/Glimt in Norway. Won the league last year and tonight they demolished Rome 6-1! (Mourinho's worst defeat ever I think). The football his team are playing is amazing to watch at times.

Because Knutsen is gonna swap European football and demolishing Mourinho's teams for the Mad House at Ewood! 

• Like 1

If we're looking at League One managers then I'm not sure why Ainsworth should be ahead of Ryan Lowe. Did a good job at Bury in terrible conditions, got Plymouth out of League Two at the first time of asking and now has them sat top of League One.

It seems to me that there is too much heart over head going into the Ainsworth one. If he didn't have a connection to Blackburn he would barely be mentioned.

For me if we are serious as a club we need to be going all out for Chris Wilder and Alan Knill whilst available. It is going to be galling watching another Championship club get him in and do well from it whilst we drift along with St Tony. If Wilder not keen or too expensive then I'd be ok with Alex Neil who overachieved for 3 years at Preston and went much closer to the playoffs than Mowbray ever has here. 

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 5

I think the Ainsworth doubters will always doubt because of that link to the club. It's a bit like the son who plays for the team his Dad manages, he can never win as its always looked at, only coz your Dad is the coach...

Ainsworth worked wonders with Wycombe and that team had no right to be on the Championship compared to what they were up against in League 1. With little investment they went back down and have lost some of the key players in that squad but still compete.

I get that people will think it's with the heart but I genuinely like Ainsworth as a personality and what he's achieved as a manager.

Wilder would be most peoples choice I guess but I just can't see it here in this climate and where the club is today. He will get one of the top jobs next time one comes up or a sleeping giant that has promised funds, maybe even a relegation scrap in the Premier League.

As for the Bodo guy, won't pretend to know him or the Norwegian league but the Roma team was pretty weak. Will reserve judgement until I learn some more... that said, in 12 months time we'll be having this same conversation and probably every month in between 😟🤮

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, JHRover said:

If we're looking at League One managers then I'm not sure why Ainsworth should be ahead of Ryan Lowe. Did a good job at Bury in terrible conditions, got Plymouth out of League Two at the first time of asking and now has them sat top of League One.

It seems to me that there is too much heart over head going into the Ainsworth one. If he didn't have a connection to Blackburn he would barely be mentioned.

I would be delighted with Ainsworth. For alot of people it's the passion and enthusiasm he would bring. After 4 years of dreary, repetitive, double speak press conferences where TM contradicts himself numerous times and generally just talks shite, not to mention the tactics and selections, people just want a plain talker who doesn't over complicated things. Ainsworth fits that bill perfectly!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JHRover said:

For me if we are serious as a club we need to be going all out for Chris Wilder and Alan Knill whilst available. It is going to be galling watching another Championship club get him in and do well from it whilst we drift along with St Tony. If Wilder not keen or too expensive then I'd be ok with Alex Neil who overachieved for 3 years at Preston and went much closer to the playoffs than Mowbray ever has here. 

Wilder for me all day long, but can’t see us getting him, bit of a lottery with getting a new manager, how many on here would have had Hughton, Pearson, McCarthy all of them not worked out.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, unsall said:

Wilder for me all day long, but can’t see us getting him, bit of a lottery with getting a new manager, how many on here would have had Hughton, Pearson, McCarthy all of them not worked out.

What we need is a manager on his way up, who has demonstrated he can work on a limited budget.

Ainsworth is a good example.

What we will get, (eventually), is another unemployed occupant of Jurassic Park, eg Nigel Adkins.

35 minutes ago, martonrover said:

What we need is a manager on his way up, who has demonstrated he can work on a limited budget.

What we will get, (eventually), is another unemployed occupant of Jurassic Park, eg Nigel Adkins.

I like Ainsworth but don’t think he’s the answer, yes he’s Rovers through and through just don’t think he’s the one, of the up and coming managers the lad at Blackpool seems to be doing a good job, talks sense and like how he sets up.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Exactly correct. Ainsworth has plenty of experience on a tight budget, achieved 2 promotions, gets players motivated and achieving beyond their talent, good eye for a player.

Ryan Lowe is another one. Alex Neil is similar. Done a good job at Norwich and Preston. Neil Critchley at Blackpool where he a good job there. Then Wilder is the experience option for us 

1 hour ago, unsall said:

Wilder is only 53 I think so still experience option for us. 

But it's massive no to Hughton, Bruce, McCarthy, etc 

9 hours ago, BRFC4EVA said:

I would be delighted with Ainsworth. For alot of people it's the passion and enthusiasm he would bring. After 4 years of dreary, repetitive, double speak press conferences where TM contradicts himself numerous times and generally just talks shite, not to mention the tactics and selections, people just want a plain talker who doesn't over complicated things. Ainsworth fits that bill perfectly!

Ainsworth would be good choice. Just look at the job he done at Wycombe and he done a great job. He is motivator and passionate man..

Edited by chaddyrovers

2 hours ago, unsall said:

I’d still take any of those over Mowbray. 

Our three best managers of modern times have failed elsewhere. I think the important thing with the next appointment is not to employ a serial failure again.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, martonrover said:

What we need is the best man for the job whether he’s young, old or unemployed. Sadly venkys are still employing our managers in the same way they do their factories. They clearly don’t see the manager as important as it should be.

If they understood football in any way they’d be spending a big fee on investing in the best option, not the easiest.

All they need to do is have a look at Jack Walkers successes and failures. The training manual is there if they’d just show some interest.

Edited by booth
  • Like 2