BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

32 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

The main reason I’d be more than happy with Ainsworth isn’t simply that he’s from Blackburn, it’s that he actually gives a shit about the club. It wouldn’t just be a job to him. 

He wouldn’t need to make stupid and untrue claims about walking away if he became a burden, he’d actually just do it. He’s one person who would attempt to tell Venky’s a few home truth instead of being all servile and subservient.

It’s been us v them since day one. It’d be nice to have one of us in a position of influence. However, our overlords would not like this and would probably bin him within a fortnight.

But there is no suggestion that Mowbray genuinely "doesn't give a shit." He spends numerous days living on his own away from his family, and there is no suggestion that he doesn't put in the hours. Ultimately he is a dour man anyway, add some awkward questions about his underperforming and he is never going to give off energy and charisma.

His main achilles heel has been bizarre tactical decisions that stem from overthinking, it always has been. Strange tactical choices such as 3 at the back, Clarkson almost as a false 9 etc, they have similarities to playing Bell and Williams down the left hand side at home to Oldham, saying how much he respects the Bury right back etc. Going from extreme possession football to being bottom of the same table in the next season, from one extreme to another. He is always trying to get ahead but seldom do his crazy ideas work. That is an issue of competence, not effort, and that is what we need from our manager.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Silas said:

While we're on time he asked: "How far do you want to go back, do you want to go back 3 years, or do you want to go back 30 years?"

What's with the stupid riddles? He's one step off chatting about seagulls and trawlers.

A very conscious dig at the fans. He clearly thinks we're living in the past and have completely unrealistic expectations about the club's ability to challenge. Irony is he set those expectations himself last season.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Silas said:

🤬🤬

While we're on time he asked: "How far do you want to go back, do you want to go back 3 years, or do you want to go back 30 years?"

I took the 30 year thing to be a subtle dig at the fans. In his deluded opinion, the fans are unhappy and are complaining because it's not the 90's anymore. It's just insulting and disrespectful. We've had a couple of awful managers under this lot, but even they didn't come out with crap like that.

There have been too many contradictions from him to bring up here. However, the following stands out from a few years ago: "this is Blackburn Rovers, they should be in the Premier League". What ever happened with that? It's almost like he was just telling us what he thought we wanted to hear.

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Don't think that's the only reason for him being a bad manager.

Main achilles heel implies that he has other weaknesses. That being said, I do not see enough to suggest that a lack of effort or care from him is causing any of the issues we see.

It is a shame that things are becoming somewhat toxic as he did a good job initially, he seems a decent guy and he is the best manager in the last 10 years, albeit that isn't an honour to be particularly proud of. I don't doubt that he thinks that he can turn it around and that he does care but this last 18 months have been going backwards and will continue to do so.

32 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

I took the 30 year thing to be a subtle dig at the fans. In his deluded opinion, the fans are unhappy and are complaining because it's not the 90's anymore. It's just insulting and disrespectful. We've had a couple of awful managers under this lot, but even they didn't come out with crap like that.

There have been too many contradictions from him to bring up here. However, the following stands out from a few years ago: "this is Blackburn Rovers, they should be in the Premier League". What ever happened with that? It's almost like he was just telling us what he thought we wanted to hear.

Exactly he did say that.

After 3 years at this level and after the financial backing he has we should have promote or at least been top 6 at least once. 

He said after we got relegated in a season ticket promotional video 'supporters are the heart beat of this football club, he has seen and felt our passion since the minute I arrived. Your support has been magnificent and stick with us and we do everything we can to renew you with, together we can achieve"

• Backroom
25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Main achilles heel implies that he has other weaknesses. That being said, I do not see enough to suggest that a lack of effort or care from him is causing any of the issues we see.

It is a shame that things are becoming somewhat toxic as he did a good job initially, he seems a decent guy and he is the best manager in the last 10 years, albeit that isn't an honour to be particularly proud of. I don't doubt that he thinks that he can turn it around and that he does care but this last 18 months have been going backwards and will continue to do so.

Why do you think he's been better for us than Bowyer, out of curiosity? I don't think promotion from League 1 can really count against Bowyer as he never took us to that level to begin with. In terms of full Championship campaigns Bowyer got us 7th and 9th, whereas Mowbray has been 15th, 11th, 15th. I don't think Mowbray's football has been any better to watch and by the end of his tenure he may have left us with very little in assets if BBD, Rothwell, Lenihan, Kaminski and Nyambe all leave this summer. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 8

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, matt83 said:

He’s a poor mans bowyer. Bowyer wasn’t good enough.

I don't know, I mean we didn't have these awful death spirals under GB, and he didn't tend to overcomplicate his tactics or team selection either. If anything he was too rigid, unable to think outside of the box when it was required. Mowbray on the other hand thinks so far out of the box that he ends up in another universe entirely. 

Even during the season we finished 9th under GB we had a decent cup run, which we've never had under Mowbray. When it did start going bad under GB (largely thanks to players being sold from underneath him and a proper transfer embargo) he was removed fairly swiftly by Venky standard. Mowbray meanwhile has continued to linger like a bad smell despite being at least 18 months overdue for replacement. 

• Like 4

I wanted Bowyer out long before he did leave, it was obvious halfway through 14/15 that we were never going to be near promotion (or even the top 6) despite having two 20+ goal strikers as well as other very good players for the division like Cairney, Hanley and Duffy. A better manager would have had that squad in the top 6 (and wouldn’t have persisted with Lowe and Williamson in CM). 

But in the horrific 12/13 season he inherited just as big of a mess as Mowbray did yet we stayed up without too much trouble, despite looking like we were on for a second relegation at one point.

The FA Cup run in 14/15 is streets ahead of anything Mowbray has done in the cups as well, and he’s had more seasons. 

Based solely on their records here I’d have to go for Bowyer over Mowbray but ultimately it speaks volumes about the last ten years that the choice of best manager of that time period is between them two. 

Edited by frosty
  • Like 5

He said the same veiled digs last season except it was 25 years  that time. So in true Mowbray fashion he can't even find consistency in his arrogant comments.

He also looked a miserable fed up excuse for a manager 2 years ago mid season when he faced a few tough questions. Same talk of being away from family, results are hard to get, young players, injuries etc.

Sorry i don't care if they win 5-0 tomorrow although it would be very nice and welcome the guy just needs to put himself out of his own misery. 

• Like 2

He mentions parachute payments as if the only clubs that we're failing to compete with are your West Broms and Bournemouths, when the reality is we're getting beaten by Blackpool and throwing 2-0 leads away against Luton at home.

He isn't capable of having a team of 11 better players beat a team of 11 worse players... on a consistent enough basis, it's simple, that is the problem and we've witnessed it far too often.

Mowbray should have been fired well over a year ago and the fact that he's still here is simply a reflection of how dysfunctional the club is. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, martonrover said:

Ainsworth got Wycombe in the Championship, when they were favourites for relegation from League One.

I think even the likes of Klopp, Guardiola and Tuchel would've been hard pushed to achieve that at such a small club.

Okay, they fell short and went back down last season after a poor start, but even then they made a decent fist of it, and are now pushing to come straight back.

I agree that it isn't wise to appoint purely on a Rovers connection, but in Ainsworth's case I see that as a healthy bonus, rather than being the main reason for appointing him.

I do think his personality and enthusiasm would help the club to re-engage with the supporters.

It would get me back at Ewood for starters.

Absolutely spot on.

I have not been to a home game since Coyle was appoited but I miss Ewood so much.

If Ainsworth was appointed  I would return. We need someone who loves and understands then club

Will Venky's understand my point of view ? No

Will Venky's appoint Ainsworth ? No

Boycott continues

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

Absolutely spot on.

I have not been to a home game since Coyle was appoited but I miss Ewood so much.

If Ainsworth was appointed  I would return. We need someone who loves and understands then club

Will Venky's understand my point of view ? No

Will Venky's appoint Ainsworth ? No

Boycott continues

Don’t forget, Mowbray has described the owners, as very humble people.

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/pune/venkys-director-among-4-booked-after-manager-alleges-assault/articleshow/34550989.cms

I was speaking to a Utd fan yesterday complaining about Solskjaer, out of his depth, tactically inept, poor in front of the media, wouldn't have got the job if he hadn't been a player, you get my drift. He then went on to say that he'd like to see Solskjaer sacked and Steve Bruce back as manager, I almost fell of the chair.......

He then went on to say he'd steady the ship, keep them competitive, keep them honest until someone better comes along, a bit like Mowbray at your place. Everyone knows Venkys are the problem, until they leave you'll never do anything, Mowbray is a steady hand, he'll keep you competitive in the Championship, you'll not end up in league 1 with him in charge.

He has a point in my opinion.

Just on Gareth Ainsworth, I want him nowhere near this football club until Venkys leave. Manging this football club under these owners will destroy his local lad reputation in 6 months. Its tough to manage your home town team in good circumstances, but under Venkys he'll be ripped apart.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

Someone tweeting Rich Sharpe that they were at some grass roots game in Middlesbrough and Mowbray was there and telling people he didn't expect to be manager by the end of the season.

This is what someone tweeted below:

"Yet he was telling parents at a grassroots game in Middlesbrough, he’s unsure if he’ll be @Rovers manager at the end of the season."

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Someone tweeting Rich Sharpe that they were at some grass roots game in Middlesbrough and Mowbray was there and telling people he didn't expect to be manager by the end of the season.

That's because a grass roots club wouldn't offer him a job. 

Edited by rigger

44 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

This is what someone tweeted below:

"Yet he was telling parents at a grassroots game in Middlesbrough, he’s unsure if he’ll be @Rovers manager at the end of the season."

Pity we have to put up with him for the rest of the season though.

Sadly "unsure' isn't enough.

• Like 1