BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

9 hours ago, Gav said:

Fulham, Swansea, West Brom, Sheff Utd, Bournemouth, Cardiff, Bristol City, Reading, Forest and Derby have all spent more than Mowbray I think and thats just off the top of my head and doesn't include the promotion teams from previous seasons. 

If its about money alone, we're most certainly mid table.

I agree with Sparks. Regarding Swansea I work there and know in detail how much they’ve spend. You tell me what y,ou think it is. West Brom, Sheff Utd, Bournemouth spend while in the premiership and they’ve fucked up. Cardiff, Bristol, Reading, Forest, and Derby where are they in the league after numerous manager shuffles? Look at Coventry, Millwall, Blackpool in the top half as examples of teams that have not spent a shot load of money. The guy at Blackpool would be my replacement for Mowbray.

• Like 1

On 30/11/2021 at 18:41, Gav said:

Tell you what, if he manages to get this basket case of a club promoted he'll go down in history as Blackburn Rovers great, a legend and I'll be campaigning for a statue next to Jacks.

That feat would be stratospheric. 

Yet, I don't recall you ever lobbying for a statue of either Souness (who won promotion from this Division AND a League Cup) or Dalglish (who won promotion from this Division AND the Premier League) next to Jack's............

Yet you'd countenance it for someone whose managerial highlight here so far is finishing 11th.

How odd. People might be forgiven for thinking you were on the wind up or something..............

• Like 6

12 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yet, I don't recall you ever lobbying for a statue of either Souness (who won promotion from this Division AND a League Cup) or Dalglish (who won promotion from this Division AND the Premier League) next to Jack's............

Yet you'd countenance it for someone whose managerial highlight here so far is finishing 11th.

How odd. People might be forgiven for thinking you were on the wind up or something..............

I'm not sure why we don't have a statue of Dalglish really. It might spur on whoever is managing us to believe that great things can happen and they are sitting in the same office of a legend. It'd be a nice reminder for fans of the calibre of footballer/manager we once had when you're heading into the ground as well.

• Like 2

I think we are where we are in spite of Mowbary, don't forget 7-0, two games where we surrendered 4.points total from winning positions until Tony stroked the team with his half time magic wand.  One thing is for sure he WILL cock it up.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If you can't spot a tongue in cheek remark Rev, I can't help you.

Edited by Gav

15 hours ago, Spartakfenni said:

Regarding Swansea I work there and know in detail how much they’ve spend. You tell me what y,ou think it is. 

You said "Mowbray spent more on 2 players than most in the division" thats not true.

We can start with Swansea if you like, as you work there, Wilfred Bonny - £12m from Man City. We signed Richie Smallwood and I know who got the better deal.

Edited by Gav

I don't know the details about other clubs in the league but Mowbray has had the luxury of splashing cash on squad players, including Amari'i Bell (reported £300k for a player with six months left on his contract at Fleetwood), Edun (an undisclosed six figure sum) and Pears (undisclosed). Then, the loan fees for Harvey Elliot, Branthwaite and Harwood-Bellis, as well as the current crop, I would guess would be sizeable based on their clubs and England youth international experience.

I think Mowbray appreciates skilful and technical players and, probably, has some good links in the English game, given his time in the game and this is reflected is some good signings. Getting Harvey Elliot was quite a coup. Even Poveda, Clarkson and Khadra are signs of Mowbray's intent, even if it became clear that Mowbray didn't know where has going to play them.

By contrast, in his West Brom heyday, Mowbray had a fixed formation and purchased players for specific positions. He led them to winning the Championship in, I think, 2007/08 and reached the FA Cup semi finals. He did that having done a squad overhaul and sold some of his best players in Jason Koumas, Curtis Davies and Diomansy Kamara. He signed a whole bunch of players and put together a team based on technical skill. His midfield, I believe, included Robert Koren, Zoltan Gera, James Morrison and Jonathan Greening, with Kevin Phillips and Roman Bednar or Ishmael Miller up front.

West Brom fell flat in the Premier League and got relegated and Mowbray went off to Celtic and, I think, his stock fell from there. However, West Brom would appoint Roberto Di Matteo and return to the Premier League and stay there for some 8 years under a variety of managers, including Hodgson and Pulis.

For a manager of Mowbray's experience and success at West Brom over a few seasons to be engaging in incoherent choices lately such as playing a tall, relatively slow striker on the wing and small midfielders as lone centre forwards strikes me as someone trying but failing to come to terms with changes in the game. After all, football has changed drastically from 2007/08 when Kevin Phillips fired Mowbray's West Brom to the Championship winner's trophy and the Premier League. Most clubs were playing orthodox 4-4-2, which is now a rarity.

A key aspect of West Brom's success, back then, was relatively low cost but technically gifted foreign players like Koren, Bednar and Gera and at Rovers, Mowbray hasn't been able to recruit those kind of players, for whatever reason.

Now that Mowbray has apparently, stumbled upon a formation which seems to be working (after the low in the 7-0 drubbing when no-one seemed to know what they were doing), perhaps, we might see him recover some of his own confidence. I saw a quote in which Mowbray spoke of how he had advised Rothwell, prior to the Stoke City game, that Rothwell had more mobility than their midfield and could exploit that. It was welcome to hear that after so much talk by Mowbray of the threats posed by such and such opposition player.

However, I do feel that regardless of what happens this season, in the next few years, when we lose a bunch of key players, some on free transfers, we'll be in a better position to judge the Mowbray era to date. I fear that loan signings and one year contract extensions have papered over poor decisions at the club that will become more apparent. 

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Gav said:

You said "Mowbray spent more on 2 players than most in the division" thats not true.

We can start with Swansea if you like, as you work there, Wilfred Bonny - £12m from Man City. We signed Richie Smallwood and I know who got the better deal.

Yet another team the was in the PREMIERSHIP when the purchase was made. Any more for any more pal?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Spartakfenni said:

Yet another team the was in the PREMIERSHIP when the purchase was made. Any more for any more pal?

Did you exclude former Premiership teams, if you did I can't see it?

Edited by Gav

9 hours ago, booth said:

I'm not sure why we don't have a statue of Dalglish really. It might spur on whoever is managing us to believe that great things can happen and they are sitting in the same office of a legend. It'd be a nice reminder for fans of the calibre of footballer/manager we once had when you're heading into the ground as well.

He's a Liverpool icon really, Best to leave him with them imo.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, booth said:

The one person there should be a statue of is Bob Crompton. Why this hasn't been done already is beyond me.

• Like 2

One of the most pleasing things this season is we have a bit of spite about us. How long is it since we've seen players yelling at each other and encouraging each other. Also having each others backs when the tackles are flying ?  

You'd have to go right back to the Allardyce days although we aren't on that level obviously the nice boys tag seems to have finally been shed. Just hope Mowbray and co don't drill it out of them or try and re-introduce the possession based crap every game.

A nasty get stuck in side seems to go against everything that he likes to coach so it's probably just the youthfulness and energy that drives it. Long may it continue though lets keep playing championship style football that suits the capabilities instead of trying to copy Klopp or Southgate etc.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

A real good manager would have strong enough character to just be himself take it or leave and not waste his time worrying about upsetting a players feelings.  As long as the managers not a completely irrational lunatic like Roy Kean it shouldn't be a problem. 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

33 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

A real good manager would have strong enough character to just be himself take it or leave and not waste his time worrying about upsetting a players feelings.  

Its 2021 not 1971 👍

Some of the biggest and best companies in the world use things like MBTI which helps people gain insights about how they work and learn, its a bit old hat now with new personality type indicator tools out there, but it does work and can give managers and employees that extra 1%.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, USABlue said:

I think we are where we are in spite of Mowbary, don't forget 7-0, two games where we surrendered 4.points total from winning positions until Tony stroked the team with his half time magic wand.  One thing is for sure he WILL cock it up.

Illogical take. He's here too long now for anything that is happening to be in spite of him. 

• Like 2