BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

25 minutes ago, bazza said:

Lots of people full of glee at the prospect of Mowbray going to Ipswich. Who will Rovers replace him with? Paul Cook? Mick McCarthy? Alex Neil?

You don't appreciate what you've got til it's gone. (Is that from Yellow Taxi?) 

Yellow Taxi is maybe more to do with Ewood Park or Brockhall than Mowbray:

'Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you got 'til it's gone
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot'
  • Like 3

This Mowbray to Ipswich is probably nothing more than his agent putting his name out there to get another contract here.

Mowbray won’t leave rovers. Will more than likely be on more money here than Ipswich, there’s no pressure on doing well at rovers from the owners to boardroom to the terraces, he’s got a strange fanatical cult following here. Right now is as good as it’ll ever get for the rest of his managerial career (not that it’ll last) and he knows it.  

• Like 2

• Backroom

As far as Ipswich is concerned, this is the same fanbase that hounded Mick McCarthy out of their club and have been deluding themselves into thinking it was the right thing to do ever since despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Managerial judgement isn't really their strong suit. 

Yep McCarthy had about 25% of their fanbase on his case all the way through they just never took to his style. Perils of being a percentage based manager i suppose but i remember reading their forums and it made TM critics look tame.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Imagine if TM left whilst he was doing the best he's ever done. That would be the ultimate shithousery. Stay during in the death spirals and leave when we've found some form

Yes but imagine another don mckay situation.  Dalglish came in took us up. If we got a good manager to finish the job I would take it

• Like 1

• Backroom

Even with his contract winding down, I can't see Mowbray leaving us to go to Ipswich at this point in time. Unless he believes this is the peak and and doesn't have faith in the team making the playoffs, it would be a very strange move to leave a team 4th in the Championship to take over a team in turmoil in the middle of League 1. Even if we finish top half and Mowbray's contract isn't renewed, he's probably done enough in the past few years to convince another Championship team to give him a shot. He's had opportunities to join Ipswich in the past when they were in a much better position and turned them down, so unless they're offering silly money for him to take the job it seems very unlikely to me that he'll be going there.

3 hours ago, Tugay-is-God said:

Madness that some on here would be so keen to get rid of the manager as we sit 4th in the table. 

Do people really think that TM going now would benefit our season?

Doesn't our form usually go down the shitter in the 2nd half of the season with TM? Might be a blessing in disguise in regards making the play offs 😇

• Like 1

It doesnt bode well if a struggling league one club can entice a manager sat fourth in the championship at xmas away from ewood. If that unlikely scenario happens it shows how lacking of ambition we really are regardless on my feelings of if Mowbray should stay or go

Just had a look on the twtd (ipswich forum)  Think ToMo is already on there sounding out their supporters 

New Thread started 9th Dec  - Introducing the NEW king of biscuits

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/525026/introducing-the-new-king-of-biscuits.../#62

Edited by perthblue02

He hated L1, he went on record many times how un aesthetically pleasing he found it down there,  and that was with a team who obviously were expecting to come straight back up. And Lancs is much closer to Yarm.

So a mid table L1 side down in Suffolk who look a fair distance away from promotion doesn’t look exactly enticing. Though it could say something on what he expects next season’s budget to be if he does jump ship from 4th in the Championship (unless he knows no new contract is incoming).

I looked at this and immediately thought agent looking for headline to get his client a new contract. In my opinion not going anywhere. He’s on a great number here no pressure from above, no pressure from below regardless 2 in 17, 7v0 at home these are events that get you sacked or the fans turn. He’s angling for a new 5 year journey.

Why he would want to stay at a small club like Rovers who can’t compete when he’s got the chance to go to a big club like Ipswich only he can answer.

1 hour ago, perthblue02 said:

Just had a look on the twtd (ipswich forum)  Think ToMo is already on there sounding out their supporters 

New Thread started 9th Dec  - Introducing the NEW king of biscuits

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/525026/introducing-the-new-king-of-biscuits.../#62

Ipswich Fan in Peace.  I started that thread 😞   P.S.  We have no idea who we really want in following Cook's departure.  The only thing that I must say RE hounding Mick McC out, it was a loud minority of fans, then a good 50/50 split of the rest of us were just tired of not really progressing and those that loved him.

Personally, I don't really see Mogga coming to town, and I don't really know if I wan't him here either - nothing worse than seing one of your old heroes be put through the meat grinder of management.

Have a great weekend.

• Like 2

Doesn’t seem very likely, but then he only has a few months left on his contract.

Obviously this is all hypotheticals - but if he’s had word that no contract is forthcoming here, and another club, be it Ipswich or some other, is putting, say, a three year deal on the table, then a fella aged 58, with a young family, knowing it may well be his last multi year deal, would obviously have to give it some thought…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Doesn’t seem very likely, but then he only has a few months left on his contract.

Obviously this is all hypotheticals - but if he’s had word that no contract is forthcoming here, and another club, be it Ipswich or some other, is putting, say, a three year deal on the table, then a fella aged 58, with a young family, knowing it may well be his last multi year deal, would obviously have to give it some thought…

His ego wouldn't let him if we were in the playoffs

On 09/12/2021 at 23:15, tomphil said:

As i predicted hot on the heels of the few newspaper articles the other week we now have a club suddenly allegedly after him. Not a hint of anyone wanting the genius in the last 5 years.

If he signs off with a good finish this season then goes down there that might be the best for everyone.

He'll do nowt at Ipswich without a big budget.

So obviously a planted story to try and get the Venky's to get the mutli-year contract offered while his stock is high. Really is quite the turnaround from last season when he seemed as desperate as anyone for the chop and his contract paying off. Lazarus would have been impressed by his return from the depths!

To be fair, hard to call being in 4th at this stage of the season anything other than a very good return.

On 10/12/2021 at 02:01, tomphil said:

Yep McCarthy had about 25% of their fanbase on his case all the way through they just never took to his style. Perils of being a percentage based manager i suppose but i remember reading their forums and it made TM critics look tame.

Twas the same at Rovers with a much better manager in the somewhat more rotund shape of Sam Allardyce... 

A significant number of the fanbase never took to him and never would. 

• Like 1