BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, J*B said:

I see Mulgrew and Raya are both getting great reviews at their new clubs. Perhaps they weren’t the problem after all...

Raya is a decent keeper. Not unflappable but he could make the odd great save. Walton's a downgrade but at least he's not our player.

Mulgrew was probably sold to free up the wage-bill for another midfielder, and the theory his next-game triggered a new contract. The consensus on here is that he was done at Championship level. It was still madness to sell a defender when you're already short in that area.

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Well, Venkys have made 7 managerial appointments, 4 complete disasters in Kean,Berg, Appleton and Coyle, and 3 of broadly similar middling results in Bowyer,Lambert and Mowbray. The chance of improvement strikes me as minimal - why should they get it right the 8th time ? I'd rather stick with what we have and hope he can get it better - I don't think we'll go down with Mowbray at the wheel

Counter to this, if you look at Mowbray's history as a manager, after looking a good prospect he tends to decline without recovering then ends up having to leave.

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's why the Chicken Chokers are idiots. We should be paying for the best manager we can afford not shopping around in Pound World. Who has more influence over the fortunes of the club than your manager ? Therefore that should be a key investment.

I'm done with Mowbray. I'll nail my colours to the mast.

This is why I keep banging on about having the right structure in place and the people in place and who can been accountable. Exactly why I like the Sporting Director/head coach structure. Venkys have tried it 3 times but Don't appoint the right person or give it proper time to develop it. It fine sacking Mowbray but if you look at the questions I've asked yesterday it doesn't mean we would hire a better manager cos of points I made yesterday. 

I really enjoyed my discussions with @JHRover over the sporting director/head coach structure

56 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Mulgrew looked a good steady centre half on yesterdays evidence not the weak link he appeared to be here.

He made 2 similar mistakes yesterday like his Rovers days. 

Mulgrew is a problem

1 hour ago, Amo said:

Raya is a decent keeper. Not unflappable but he could make the odd great save. Walton's a downgrade but at least he's not our player.

Mulgrew was probably sold to free up the wage-bill for another midfielder, and the theory his next-game triggered a new contract. The consensus on here is that he was done at Championship level. It was still madness to sell a defender when you're already short in that area.

The problem with that, is that he isn’t a defender 

2 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Well, Venkys have made 7 managerial appointments, 4 complete disasters in Kean,Berg, Appleton and Coyle, and 3 of broadly similar middling results in Bowyer,Lambert and Mowbray. The chance of improvement strikes me as minimal - why should they get it right the 8th time ? I'd rather stick with what we have and hope he can get it better - I don't think we'll go down with Mowbray at the wheel

But you wouldn't want to bet on him keeping us up this time. I wouldn't anyway.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

But you wouldn't want to bet on him keeping us up this time. I wouldn't anyway.

Well currently the shortest price being quoted by bookmakers on us being relegated is 8/1 so clearly they don't see it as that likely. 15 points from 12 games is no great shakes but equally is never going to mean relegation

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, J*B said:

I see Mulgrew and Raya are both getting great reviews at their new clubs. Perhaps they weren’t the problem after all...

To be fair mate, Wigan are below us and Brentford are only ahead of us on goal difference....

2 hours ago, LDRover said:

There seems to be an assumption that we won't go down with Mowbray, I honestly think we could.

Agreed. The winter of discontent is coming for the likes of Rothwell, Graham, Bell, Evans and even Chapman.  No footballer worth his salt will like to be overlooked in a non-winning side.  Also, we really are down to our bare bones at the back and we can't keep shipping 2, 3 and 4 goals and expect to stay up or out of trouble.  Supporters are definitely getting more vocal in the BBurn End (In terms of criticising the manager and mistakes), people won't put up with poor home form and silly selections/substitutions for long.

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

To be fair mate, Wigan are below us and Brentford are only ahead of us on goal difference....

True, but do we now have a better goalkeeper or defence?

No, in my opinion, and I think Raya is a better keeper than Walton.

The ways things are going, Wigan could soon overtake us.

I expect Brentford to finish comfortably ahead of us.

Just now, martonrover said:

I think we have much better defenders, it is that they are not always picked

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rigger said:

Or with Scotland 

I'd never judge him on that they're all pish at the min and to be honest i don't think he'd have been anywhere near their starting 11 for a long while if they had any real options.

I've always been a fan of Mulgrew the footballer but not Mulgrew the defender but it has struck me a few times how he looks comfortable in the Wigan back line at the min.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

This is why I keep banging on about having the right structure in place and the people in place and who can been accountable. Exactly why I like the Sporting Director/head coach structure. Venkys have tried it 3 times but Don't appoint the right person or give it proper time to develop it. It fine sacking Mowbray but if you look at the questions I've asked yesterday it doesn't mean we would hire a better manager cos of points I made yesterday. 

I really enjoyed my discussions with @JHRover over the sporting director/head coach structure

He made 2 similar mistakes yesterday like his Rovers days. 

Mulgrew is a problem

At Rovers we seemed to get punished when he did but yesterday they had people clearing up for him.  He also made numerous good tackles and blocks something that had all but deserted him here.

Just now, martonrover said:

Very soon.

Wednesday at 10pm they could be above us.

Defeat either tomorrow or at the weekend and he will go. 

Would anybody else on here sacrifice a defeat tomorrow for him to be sacked? I actually would. The bloke has lost the plot completely. I used to back him and thought he might be the right man, however for weeks now I have lost all faith and the moment Holtby's number went up on Saturday that was it for me. Clueless!!!

I would do anything possible to get Hughton, if that fails give DJ the rest of the season.

• Like 1