BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, Wegerleswiggle said:

Defeat either tomorrow or at the weekend and he will go. 

Would anybody else on here sacrifice a defeat tomorrow for him to be sacked? I actually would. The bloke has lost the plot completely. I used to back him and thought he might be the right man, however for weeks now I have lost all faith and the moment Holtby's number went up on Saturday that was it for me. Clueless!!!

I would do anything possible to get Hughton, if that fails give DJ the rest of the season.

In a normally run club the awful form of the last 10 months would see him potted. We could lose the next two and he won’t get sacked, if they do it will be jan/Feb time if we are bottom 3

5 hours ago, Amo said:

Raya is a decent keeper. Not unflappable but he could make the odd great save. Walton's a downgrade but at least he's not our player.

Mulgrew was probably sold to free up the wage-bill for another midfielder, and the theory his next-game triggered a new contract. The consensus on here is that he was done at Championship level. It was still madness to sell a defender when you're already short in that area.

It's amazing that two players we were perhaps unbothered to lose (I was gutted about Raya going) and somehow TM still gets it wrong. Mulgrew may be pretty finished at this level but he is better than nothing , which is what we have ended up with. 

Keeper wise we've ended up with a worse replacement we don't own and the money spunked on a non scoring striker. Given fans weren't by and large too sad to see either player go in principle, for us to be missing both shows monumental mismanagement of the squad/transfer window. 

Just now, Blue blood said:

It's amazing that two players we were perhaps unbothered to lose (I was gutted about Raya going) and somehow TM still gets it wrong. Mulgrew may be pretty finished at this level but he is better than nothing , which is what we have ended up with. 

Keeper wise we've ended up with a worse replacement we don't own and the money spunked on a non scoring striker. Given fans weren't by and large too sad to see either player go in principle, for us to be missing both shows monumental mismanagement of the squad/transfer window. 

Waggott also said we had a similar budget to last season. So why did we have a net spend of 2 mil and seemingly has to get CM out of the door to free up cash for a loan? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tomphil said:

Mulgrew looked a good steady centre half on yesterdays evidence not the weak link he appeared to be here.

Very few players improve under Mowbray, most go backwards. Its probably because they are in the wrong position but also because, in his anxiety, he's coached all the fun out of it.

He's hardly the "go out there and play is he"?

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Waggott also said we had a similar budget to last season. So why did we have a net spend of 2 mil and seemingly has to get CM out of the door to free up cash for a loan? 

to be fair the net spend of 2 million doesn't include the signing on fee's of Johnson,Downing and Holtby which id imagine in his case id was quite hefty 

7 hours ago, islander200 said:

to be fair the net spend of 2 million doesn't include the signing on fee's of Johnson,Downing and Holtby which id imagine in his case id was quite hefty 

Even with those, i doubt we are anywhere near the 10 million we spent last season.

8 hours ago, JacknOry said:

I think whoever mentioned his 100th performance possibly triggering a better deal has found the answer to his sharp exit.

Just read Mowbray's latest interview. Totally deluding himself. Apparently we have been dominating matches, creating chances and supporters can see our new style of play and what we are trying to achieve.

I cannot bear to listen to absolute  bullshit like that.  I prefer honesty and hands up to take the blame, not fantasy work in progress nonsense. We concede more than we score and we don't create enough chances because we are often ineffective.  We average 3 shots on target per game and 39% possession. Those are the sad truths.

• Like 3

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17983914.mowbray-feels-rovers-making-progress-season/

I find this another irritating and patronising Mowbray interview. We are generally boring to watch and the possession based football he talks about is in areas where the opposition are happy for us to have the ball. Laughably he credits Holtby for his part in our new way of playing. He has started one game and even then he got the hook.

I have seen every game this season and have usually seen mundane, tedious play where possession is usually along the back line, into midfield and back again.

• Like 5

• Moderation Lead

Most of the possession we have is just pointless sideways passing in areas which don't hurt the opposition.

It completely masks the fact it's never in an area which will bother whoever we are playing. 

• Like 3

I've just read TM's comments in the LET and quite frankly it's pure drivel smacking of desperation. The comment that I found really irritating was this:

"Within the course of the 10 weeks, we’ve tried to develop different systems rather than having one so when a team scouts us they can analyse and try and nullify".

That to me sounds like he is trying to justify his continuing tinkering by trying to confuse opposition "scouts", pathetic.

Just now, K-Hod said:

Most of the possession we have is just pointless sideways passing in areas which don't hurt the opposition.

It completely masks the fact it's never in an area which will bother whoever we are playing. 

Bang on. We're not keeping the ball high up the pitch and pulling teams out of their defensive shape, like actual possession-based football. We're just popping it around in front of teams and going nowhere. Kind of like that Simpson episode:

• Like 3

I have absolutely no doubt we have plans and ambitions.

Problem is we are not executing against them. 

It all feels very stale under Mowbray and it is awful when 3 of our 5 defeats can be laid squarely at the Manager's door- wrong selection, wrong formation, wrong tactics, wrong subs. Arguably he totally messed up his instructions to the defence first half at WBA but that was probably a collective players' brain freeze.

I am struggling to think the last time when Mowbray picked a team and formation I feel is the best XI we have available- does anyone agree with Mowbray's selections???

I can remember one or two occasions when Mowbray picked an unexpected XI and tactics last season which proved remarkably right in hindsight so those were 3 points gained by the Manager but so far as I am concerned points lost by the Manager are in double figures so far this season.

OK losing football but is it watchable? Hell no!

Waggott is on a total loser trying to boost the club with what is happening on field at present.

• Backroom
14 minutes ago, jw_ said:

I've just read TM's comments in the LET and quite frankly it's pure drivel smacking of desperation. The comment that I found really irritating was this:

"Within the course of the 10 weeks, we’ve tried to develop different systems rather than having one so when a team scouts us they can analyse and try and nullify".

That to me sounds like he is trying to justify his continuing tinkering by trying to confuse opposition "scouts", pathetic.

Highlights one of Mowbray's biggest weaknesses - his lack of confidence in his own players. Rather than trust in his own methods and the players he's assembled, he spends his time desperately figuring out ways to combat the opposition to the point of total madness, as with the quote above. Preparing for the opposition a few days before the game, fine. A scatterbrain approach over two months to rotate multiple players and systems just to confuse the opposition - not fine, because our players are likely to be just as confused!

TM over-complicates things to a ridiculous degree. His lack of courage and cowardly fear of every team we come up against is why we will never, ever be promoted with him at the helm.

Edited by DE.
  • Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

Highlights one of Mowbray's biggest weaknesses - his lack of confidence in his own players. Rather than trust in his own methods and the players he's assembled, he spends his time desperately figuring out ways to combat the opposition to the point of total madness, as with the quote above. Preparing for the opposition a few days before the game, fine. A scatterbrain approach over two months to rotate multiple players and systems just to confuse the opposition - not fine, because our players are likely to be just as confused!

TM over-complicates things to a ridiculous degree. His lack of courage and cowardly fear of every team we come up against is why we will never, ever be promoted with him at the helm.

Cowardly?

What is it with the Mowbray Out campaign at the moment? "Cowardice" has become the buzzword of the present; for me, being labelled a coward is a pretty serious accusation to level at someone and not something I'd do lightly. I've seen this thrown at him several times now.

Cowardice should be reserved for a serious act of treachery not simply rotating a squad consistently, even if that rotation is too much, too often.

As an example, Rafa Benitez is renowned for tinkering before each game to nullify the threat of the opposition, as is Jose Mourinho. Are they "cowards"? Or are they simply tinkerers who are better at it than TM?

Calling someone a coward is pathetic unless they have done something which justifies it. TM has a lot of criticism levelled but can we stop the downright COWARDLY act of slamming his character in such an unpleasant way in a place in which he has no chance of response? Discuss his attitude to players, discuss his faults but a man that has played over 550 appearances in professional football, managed hundreds of games and has had a career that has spanned 4 decades is not in any way a coward.

DE this criticism isn't solely at you but this isn't the first time he's been called a coward on here and it's absolutely pathetic behaviour and all very easy to do over a computer screen.

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

I stand by my comments even if you're offended by them, sorry.

Not offended just perplexed that the same staff team that moans about a certain Twitter users' behaviour of the same accord then goes on to do that.

And as it stands the refusal to accept a momentary lapse of judgement in word choice is as equally a "cowardly" act as opting to set a team up to minimise the risks a left back playing for Bury FC can cause.

If you want to call the man a coward then be a man about it, go to a Q&A session and do it. Coward.

• Backroom

I'm calling his approach to football cowardly, not the man himself. I don't know enough about him on a personal level to make that judgement. Would be happy to explain to TM the reasons behind my thoughts on why his approach seems cowardly, and I dare say he'd engage me in some interesting conversation about the subject as he seems like a pretty balanced person. 

• Like 2

"His lack of courage and cowardly fear", plus if any poster was to scroll through the 3 topics we currently have on TM's job status you'll find ample posts whereby posters are also calling him a coward. I'd argue the man isn't cowardly but pragmatic, perhaps an over thinker but certainly not a coward. I see no further mention of coaches with a similar approach to the game however.

A cowardly approach to football having achieved what he has in the game in comparison to yourself tells you all that you need to know about your opinion on what is cowardly and what isn't.

Quite frankly it's not the type of language I'd like associated with BRFCS, least not by the people supposed to be policing the forum. If one was to call a player / manager we held in high esteem a coward I have no doubt in my mind they would be banned.

Anyhow, in summary, to call a man that has over 4 decades association with football a "coward" in his approach to the sport is pathetic, wrong and blatantly inflammatory. TM is anything but a coward.

Behave Dreams! In your rush to clamber up to that moral high ground you are mixing up your vocab. ‘Banned’, ‘inflammatory’, ‘not the kind of language to be associated with brfcs’.

Are you for real?

You can be cowardly without being ‘treacherous’. Think you are conflating a fairly standard descriptor of a risk averse  manager in football parlance with its archaic usage, e.g. to describe World War 1 conscientious objectors/deserter etc.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Behave Dreams! In your rush to clamber up to that moral high ground you are mixing up your vocab.

You can be cowardly without being a traitor. Think you are conflating a fairly standard descriptor of a risk averse  manager in football parlance with its archaic usage to describe World War 1 conscientious objectors/deserters.

No I am not. TM has been called a coward on here dozens of times now and each time it is wrong to do so. How is his approach to the sport cowardly? He's achieved far more than any of us can ever dream of having.

It's language used to stoke up emotions and further their point when it has no merit. It is no different to when the board had a mini-bitch about Jim Wilkinson doing the same re: criticism of Amari'i Bell. When the shoe fits though....