BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Just now, DE. said:

What the absolute fuck is this? He has totally lost it. 

Sharpe is defending the quote saying after he levelled criticism at the team post Brum, he means whatever the outcome, we’ll be up for the fight. 

I have heard more than enough deluded rambling from the man, he needs to be removed.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

• Backroom
Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Sharpe is defending the quote saying he meant after he levelled criticism at the team post Brum, he means whatever the outcome, we’ll be up for the fight. 

I have heard more than enough, just sack the rambling fool.

As far as being up for the fight I don't believe him. These players haven't been up for the fight since he arrived, hence our disgustingly poor statistics when it comes to falling behind in games. We only perform when we have a massive advantage in terms of talent or when we score first.

The quote itself is horribly worded but I think it reveals a lot about TM's mentality and how he views our club. It's the kind of quote you'd expect if we were playing Liverpool or Man City - not Preston North End!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

He has given the players the perfect excuse to lose the game with total impunity with a caveat of as long as they try.

He's done it since he's been here, it grates. It's an excuse to fail. It's a cop out. Players mindset will be all wrong - "well we're not going to get a bollocking so long as we try - manager did say they're probably better than us after all".

• Like 8

Sorry, PNE are a better team? Ok they're getting better results than us presently, yet have they spent more on transfers and on players since Neil and Mowbray have been in office? One has used funds on more of the same potential unproven youngsters up front, whilst forgetting that 'defenders are coming' for a team that leaked goals in abundance last season. Neil targeted an experienced highly regarded lower league defender and nicked him from under Mowbray's nose! 

ToMo is not helping himself at present, especially so with such ridiculous comments.

I can see the new style of play this season, you can see it and view the possession statistics, which this may well be the way forward, yet somewhere along the line someone (ultimately him as the buck stops with him) has been negligent on setting this team up to defend. Perhaps he has a residual blind spot on small non aggressive nippy attackers, coming in from the wings or midfield and running around him when he was a big lump of a centre half? 

I’m actually appalled at the comments in that interview before a derby game. 

I don’t want to be told that “sure we may lose”. It’s PNE ffs we’re better than them, always have been, always will be. Dampening down expectations does nothing for the fans but does provide a reason to try that little bit less for the players. 

I suspect that comment has backfired and if we roll over similar to the Brum game there will be a few chants in the stands for him to go. 

What a shame. I like Mowbray but he’s losing the fans - his work at this club should be remembered because if he does leave we are in a much better situation than when he came, regardless of how the handful of posters on here do their upmost best to make out like he’s the ultimate blame for our predicament. 

I’ve once again come to the conclusion we will never get anywhere whilst we are owned by these fuckers. Shame our season is over in October. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J*B said:

FF753337-A9FB-4F09-919F-0C72E87B2E98.jpeg

The bar is so low at Ewood that we have to dig it out of the ground! 

So we are happy for Preston sodding NE to potentially be better than us? A team with no premiership experience , a team that could only dream of spending our outlay on wages and transfer fees, a team that hasn't been in the playoffs in years. And we are ok with them being better than us?!? 

TM can do one with that kind of attitude. My patience snapped when Bowyer started spouting utter drivel and now TM is no better. Just bog off with your none aspirations, crap transfer record and genius ideas of playing players out of position. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I’m actually appalled at the comments in that interview before a derby game. 

I don’t want to be told that “sure we may lose”. It’s PNE ffs we’re better than them, always have been, always will be. Dampening down expectations does nothing for the fans but does provide a reason to try that little bit less for the players. 

I suspect that comment has backfired and if we roll over similar to the Brum game there will be a few chants in the stands for him to go. 

What a shame. I like Mowbray but he’s losing the fans - his work at this club should be remembered because if he does leave we are in a much better situation than when he came, regardless of how the handful of posters on here do their upmost best to make out like he’s the ultimate blame for our predicament. 

I’ve once again come to the conclusion we will never get anywhere whilst we are owned by these fuckers. Shame our season is over in October. 

Our midfield is definitely better than the one Mowbray inherited but the defence is definitely worse. Our situation overall is very similar.

Mowbray’s first game was: Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Williams (with no defenders on the bench).

His last game was: Nyambe Adarabioyo Williams Bennett (with Bell and an U23 kid on the bench) - the game before didn’t even include Bell.

Failure to address that in 2-and-a-half years is what has cost us. Cunningham being the only real attempt and he’s now long term injured.

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Rolo PB said:

I haven’t posted about Rovers fortunes for a long while. It’s so hard to believe in the current ownership and it’s very easy to become disaffected and disillusioned with the way in which the poultry barons in Pune have breathed life into our nightmares.

However............

On the subject of their 7th permanent manager in 9 abject years, it is hard to escape the fact that any judgement of Tony Mowbray was always going to be distorted by the folly that preceded him. He followed Owen Coyle, who was a farcical appointment that could only have been entertained by fools looking to torment an already mistreated fan base. Therefore the unsuccessful battle against relegation was overlooked and Mowbray’s contribution from Feb-May was, rightly or wrongly, viewed largely as a valiant effort.  

The promotion season was enjoyable for the simple reason that for the first time under these wretched owners, a winning team was being turned out most weeks and, to Mowbray’s credit, he projected a palpable authenticity and came across as the “proper football man” that so many of us dearly craved. That said, for me personally, the football was unconvincing, but I was (like most of us I suspect) carried away with this euphoria of winning, which had become so alien. 

Last season again seemed to be considered a “free hit” by many, but for me this is where significant concerns began to manifest themselves on a consistent basis. Chief amongst them, the “marquee” signing Brereton, the porous defence and Mowbray singularly failing to integrate the talented Joe Rothwell until it was too late.

This summer was not only a missed opportunity, but for me actually inflicted more weaknesses in a squad that so badly needed augmenting in crucial areas. 

The goalkeeping situation has completely bemused me. Raya was far from faultless, at times painfully naive, but the necessary promise was there to be nurtured and developed. Walton is not an upgrade and more significantly is not even our player. For me the sale of Raya is symptomatic of this manager, his handling of youth players has left a lot to be desired, as both Nyambe and to a certain extent Travis demonstrate with their performances, which have to me displayed confidence issues and an anxiety which were non existent 9-12 months ago. The acquisition of Gallagher is fast becoming as big an albatross round Mowbray’s neck as Brereton and the striking department is beginning to look worryingly bare.

The team, much like the club itself, is drifting in a mode of complacency and that is when sides are at their most vulnerable. A real motivator and tactical innovator is what the club needs and has needed since the needless jettisoning of Allardyce. 9 years have nearly passed, very little fun has been had following Rovers in those times. The Raos have had 7 go’s at getting it right and simply have not, only proving that their heads are as empty as Ewood Park. Mowbray has probably come to the end, but the sad and frank truth is, I have no faith his replacement will be any greater suited to deliver the needs of our football club

"I think it’s just sticking to your core principles and not wavering from them and getting all the key decisions, such as the manager, right. Getting the right players to fit in with the team.."  Garlick

Read the article and weep. You have to hand it to them, though. The opposite of us at the moment.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/25/burnley-miracle-premier-league-success-story-poorest-owner

Just now, Stuart said:

Our midfield is definitely better than the one Mowbray inherited but the defence is definitely worse. Our situation overall is very similar.

Mowbray’s first game was: Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Williams (with no defenders on the bench).

His last game was: Nyambe Adarabioyo Williams Bennett (with Bell and an U23 kid on the bench) - the game before didn’t even include Bell.

Failure to address that in 2-and-a-half years is what has cost us. Cunningham being the only real attempt and he’s now long term injured.

Cunningham was only a last minute loan deal rather than a well scouted and shrew recruit. 

If we had owners who payed attention or a proper board, I could see a bad defeat tomorrow as his last game. With this lot I think hes pretty much immune, which likely explains the lack of pressure hes feeling over the form or lack of desire to rectify. 

Very disheartening comments.Shows a major defeatist attitude, and not for the first time.

If allowed to continue this spiel will breed bad results & will make our better players want to leave.

We have no given right to be anywhere. But we've got a half decent squad, a good opportunity to kick on and it feels as if he's backtracking on the summer plans and is painting us out to be a real minnow at times.

The person leading our squad needs a positive, winning mentality. I'm not seeing it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stuart said:

And he's done exactly the same thing before at Coventry. Blows my mind that he can't learn from his mistakes. We all make them so the only thing you can do is learn from them and he hasn't. Absolutely astounds me. I'm running out of adjectives. 

• Like 1

Just now, Don Said said:

Very disheartening comments.Shows a major defeatist attitude, and not for the first time.

If allowed to continue this spiel will breed bad results & will make our better players want to leave.

We have no given right to be anywhere. But we've got a half decent squad, a good opportunity to kick on and it feels as if he's backtracking on the summer plans and is painting us out to be a real minnow at times.

The person leading our squad needs a positive, winning mentality. I'm not seeing it.

We need an ex player with a footballing brain who has that passion to be successful, and a bit of charisma to go with it.

Thats really the antithesis of TM I’m afraid.

Just now, Stuart said:

We need an ex player with a footballing brain who has that passion to be successful, and a bit of charisma to go with it.

Thats really the antithesis of TM I’m afraid.

And to add to that, successful managers either do the basics very well and consistently, or live and breathe a forward-thinking philosophy.

We don't see either.

I've kept myself away from anything Rovers related on here and Facebook for a while now, as I've been silently fuming about how we've been getting on. I didn't want to be influenced by the overreaction parts of our fan base seem to stir up frequently.

I've had enough this week though.

- A great performance (but a weak point) against a Huddersfield team there for the taking. 

- A completely inept 'performance' against a Birmingham side that didn't seem up to much, completely failing to build on the previous performance.

- Mowbray's ridiculous comments before the Man City game, sorry Preston game.

We need a change of manager. Shades of Bowyer all over again. Similar mistakes as well. Can't even bring myself to go in to detail at the moment as I'm that pissed off with it all.

Edited by RoverKyle
  • Like 3