BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Gareth Ainsworth only gets mentioned because he was born in Blackburn. If he was from London he wouldnt get a mention. If success in League Two is needed for the Rovers job we might as well get John Coleman or Gary Bowyer back as both 'know the local area'.

If this club wants to kick on we need a far more ambitious approach than scouring the lower leagues for someone or looking through managers who got promoted 10 years ago who will be grateful for a Championship job and who nobody else would appoint.

Think Farke at Norwich, Wagner at Huddersfield or Karanka at Middlesbrough. Bit of thought, imagination and ambition needed.

Won't happen though it will be bargain bucket time again.

• Like 2

Just now, JHRover said:

Gareth Ainsworth only gets mentioned because he was born in Blackburn. If he was from London he wouldnt get a mention. If success in League Two is needed for the Rovers job we might as well get John Coleman or Gary Bowyer back as both 'know the local area'.

If this club wants to kick on we need a far more ambitious approach than scouring the lower leagues for someone or looking through managers who got promoted 10 years ago who will be grateful for a Championship job and who nobody else would appoint.

Think Farke at Norwich, Wagner at Huddersfield or Karanka at Middlesbrough. Bit of thought, imagination and ambition needed.

This although il be honest I wouldn’t be against Coleman being on a list. His attitude like Paul Cooks is what tends to be missing in modern football.

1. Hughes with Johnno as coach and McKinlay as assistant and mimms as goalie coach.

2. Javi Gracia

3. Pulis

4. Now Rowett has gone can I say Pearson

5. Nenad Bjelicka

I’m sorry . This website has a decent elegancy about it but after reading that I will apologise for lowering the tone in advance.

i am done with this clueless dinosaur,

i was once of the thanks but your time is up tony

now , seriously just FUCK OFF

im done with this imbecile. Literally anybody would be an upgrade.

we will always be bigger and better than Preston ffs . Hang your head in shame.

45 minutes ago, Scotland1 said:

This although il be honest I wouldn’t be against Coleman being on a list. His attitude like Paul Cooks is what tends to be missing in modern football.

1. Hughes with Johnno as coach and McKinlay as assistant and mimms as goalie coach.

2. Javi Gracia

3. Pulis

5. Nenad Bjelicka

I'm liking the Hughes set up there.

Pulis is a no from me though we aren't in crisis (yet) and i really couldn't stomach him or his football although he scare the life out of some of these easy going 'nice boys' we have.  Don't think he'd get a good enough tune out of this squad to go anywhere though they can't handle Mowbrays version of pragmatism when he tries it never mind Pulis.

I think it's tailor made for a Hughes type though if he could get in a few astute additions. 

Quite the turnaround.

Summer 2018 - owners want to 'go for it' and bounce through the division but manager prefers to 'build' over 3-4 windows.

3-4 windows later same manager 'we'll try and compete with Preston even if that means we get beat'

• Like 7

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

If this club wants to kick on we need a far more ambitious approach than scouring the lower leagues for someone

Chris Wilder was an obvious one in the lower leagues. I mentioned him a few times when he was at Northampton

He's not done too badly at Sheff Utd. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Quite the turnaround.

Summer 2018 - owners want to 'go for it' and bounce through the division but manager prefers to 'build' over 3-4 windows.

3-4 windows later same manager 'we'll try and compete with Preston even if that means we get beat'

He's had 5 full windows plus plenty of money.

What's he built? answers on a Postcard to "Idiots, Pune"

Actually he has built well in protecting his own position by appointing his own mates to positions of power at Ewood.

If we had owners who cared at all no manager would be allowed to do that, they deserve to be conned but most fans don't

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 3

Any managerial appointment is a gamble, you either go with the tried and tested model, hoping they haven't passed their sell-by date, or you take a punt on an up-and-comer. It's not an exact science. All I know is Mowbray has outstayed his welcome.

4 hours ago, Scotland1 said:

2. Javi Gracia

3. Pulis

5. Nenad Bjelicka

I dont understand this fascination many have to custom build a whole management team with ex players shoehorned in.

I agree with your agreement that we shouldnt appoint a manager based solely on who he supports, that shouldnt come into it. However, Ainsworth should be an option solely on his credentials ie the job he is currently doing.

Javi Gracia is an interesting choice. I am very skeptical that he would come but I certainly endorse that sort of ambition as his appointment would be a real statement.

Lee Bowyer has to be a consideration too, again maybe a doubt over whether he would come, but hes at a basketcase club with no budget, and is doing a superb job.

Hughton is the obvious choice, him, Gracia and Bowyer are all managers who possibly wouldnt come, but theres no point settling for an average manager straight away.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

would you look towards a foreign appointment? surely we would need to move to Sporting Director/head coach structure 

I mention someone like Carvalhl as a possible candidate, 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I dont understand this fascination many have to custom build a whole management team with ex players shoehorned in.

I agree with your agreement that we shouldnt appoint a manager based solely on who he supports, that shouldnt come into it. However, Ainsworth should be an option solely on his credentials ie the job he is currently doing.

Javi Gracia is an interesting choice. I am very skeptical that he would come but I certainly endorse that sort of ambition as his appointment would be a real statement.

Lee Bowyer has to be a consideration too, again maybe a doubt over whether he would come, but hes at a basketcase club with no budget, and is doing a superb job.

Hughton is the obvious choice, him, Gracia and Bowyer are all managers who possibly wouldnt come, but theres no point settling for an average manager straight away.

If Hughton turned down Stoke and Sheffield Wednesday then would he come here? 

Hasn't Lee Bowyer just signed a new contract? 

isn't Javi Garcia more used to being head coach and working with sporting director?

Cant see Hughes coming back into management as his trusted backroom team have jobs and promotions in some ways

Edited by chaddyrovers

6 hours ago, tomphil said:

I'm liking the Hughes set up there.

Pulis is a no from me though we aren't in crisis (yet) and i really couldn't stomach him or his football although he scare the life out of some of these easy going 'nice boys' we have.  Don't think he'd get a good enough tune out of this squad to go anywhere though they can't handle Mowbrays version of pragmatism when he tries it never mind Pulis.

I think it's tailor made for a Hughes type though if he could get in a few astute additions. 

Thank you. He almost came back remember the Kean Bolton game!? Nearly that night I believe. 

It’s set up in fact almost Souness esque, i remember my dad saying he was a busted flush like venables low and behold what happened. 

I don’t particularly like to speculate as I’ve much admiration for Tony but 7 points adrift already 3 games needing a win in each to gather and touch pace it’s almost a miracle being required. Still I cross my fingers 

Edited by Scotland1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

would you look towards a foreign appointment? surely we would need to move to Sporting Director/head coach structure 

I mention someone like Carvalhl as a possible candidate, 

I wouldn't appoint a foreigner just for the sake of it but there are a lot of good options out there. I havent enough knowledge myself to suggest some of the lesser known ones but some with good Championship records like Garcia and Carvalhal. 

As with players the club has downscaled so much that it seems anything beyond the local area is too much so expect an internal appointment or someone operating nearby.

What it needs really is just something fresh, organised and with a bit of bullish ambition - nothing unrealistic just let's be the best we can possibly be with what we have.

Right now the whole ambition seems to be lets plod on with what we have, keep everybody happy and comfortable and 'hope' we finish a place or two higher - that's it.  Minimum risk minimum reward.

17 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I wouldn't appoint a foreigner just for the sake of it but there are a lot of good options out there. I havent enough knowledge myself to suggest some of the lesser known ones but some with good Championship records like Garcia and Carvalhal. 

As with players the club has downscaled so much that it seems anything beyond the local area is too much so expect an internal appointment or someone operating nearby.

If we did go the foriegn route we would need a sporting director. Not sure Waggott has the knowledge of overseas head coaches. 

If Mowbray goes, Johnson will get the job imo which I would be happy with but he needs sporting director above him imo

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

If we did go the foriegn route we would need a sporting director. Not sure Waggott has the knowledge of overseas head coaches. 

If Mowbray goes, Johnson will get the job imo which I would be happy with but he needs sporting director above him imo

Hopefully Waggott would go. I’d be interested to know how a teacher suddenly ends up ten years ago a director of a football club.

• Like 1

Just now, Scotland1 said:

Hopefully Waggott would go. I’d be interested to know how a teacher suddenly ends up ten years ago a director of a football club.

He been working at football clubs for the last 15 years. Charlton, Coventry, Gillingham, Southend and us

So if Waggott does leave who appoint the new manager/head coach.and how long do we wait for a new CEO? 6 months. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

I've never understood the general fear of losing a match. Most managers bang on about "keeping the points rolling" or "staying unbeaten". Has noone told them that it's 3 points for a win and 1 point for a draw? It's easy maths! If you play two matches and draw both of them you are unbeaten in 2, but you're one point worse off than if you lose one of them and win one of them. In 46 matches, 23 losses and 23 wins is top 10 form, 46 draws is relegation form. Surely it's better to always go for 3 points?

• Like 3