BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Any Mill Hill St Peters veterans?

13 hours ago, arbitro said:

I was in goal Mark and beaten by a bullet header for their goal. I remember celebrating after (I think we were in the away changing room) and Tommy Duckworth bought several bottles of lemonade and we drenched him with it.

From the enclosure it looked like you could’ve thrown your cap on it from your deck chair...! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

I never liked the place either. Walked out on my last day there and never looked back. SMC catered for those carrying on to university. Either that or a career in banking, insurance, customs & excise or something similar. If you fancied a trade like joinery, engineering or an electrician, it was neither use nor ornament.

If I remember correctly, Inthink the grounds an was called Joe Pilling.

You’re not wrong Mark, I have much more positive memories of our time at St Edwards, not least because I was in that team!

Three buses to get to SMC, a class half full of Burnley fans, all that faux public school stuff (gowns, houses etc.) and teachers who seemed more bored with their subjects than was I. The only one I really liked taught us Physics (gruff old geezer who called us “blokes” - forget the name) but I never forgot about resonance thanks to him referring to the Tom and Jerry cartoon where the ants march along the hammock strings!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

You’re not wrong Mark, I have much more positive memories of our time at St Edwards, not least because I was in that team!

Three buses to get to SMC, a class half full of Burnley fans, all that faux public school stuff (gowns, houses etc.) and teachers who seemed more bored with their subjects than was I. The only one I really liked taught us Physics (gruff old geezer who called us “blokes” - forget the name) but I never forgot about resonance thanks to him referring to the Tom and Jerry cartoon where the ants march along the hammock strings!

Was the physics teacher call Hamilton John? I remember him as a bit eccentric and to encourage us to work hard he regularly asked if we wanted to be digging up roads for a living. 

I also remember quite a few teachers with elbow patches on their jackets which I'd never seen before.

It's strange what daft things you remember ??.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Being the youngest-ever boy to wear that famous/infamous blue and amber shirt is still among my proudest footballing achievements, 50 years later!

The only local schoolboy football record my younger brother didn't manage to snaffle!

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Was the physics teacher call Hamilton John? I remember him as a bit eccentric and to encourage us to work hard he regularly asked if we wanted to be digging up roads for a living. 

I also remember quite a few teachers with elbow patches on their jackets which I'd never seen before.

It's strange what daft things you remember ??.

Well remembered on both counts Tony! He had a passion for the subject. The irony is I still failed the O-level ?. My funniest memory from there is Jobbo writing “...to fuck off” under the title of the “Go and Tell Aunt Nancy” sheet music! Well worth the mass detention.

• Like 1

For Arbitro and Exiled in Toronto. Staff football team in 1970 with Joe Pilling as referee. The other photo is one of the staff at around the time we were there. Joe Hamilton, front row far left, I think.

Tony, I can remember we were in the away changing room at Ewood but virtually the rest of that day has been erased from my memory. Can’t remember the ‘lemonade celebrations’ or owt. Can’t remember doing owt with the ball either lol.

6F74886D-C619-4080-B8E6-685FC5429B17.jpeg

AF329C55-AA00-448E-BC98-AC76D7CA44A6.jpeg

22 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Blimey Mark, you must be a real hoarder! I managed to put names to 16 of them. Rigby showed us the power of personality - smallest teacher in the school and he could silence a rowdy class with a glare.

No, but I’m a member of a Facebook group called ‘All Aboard Spam’s Bus.’ Not sure if any of you do Facebook but that group turns up loads of photos plus stories, reminiscing etc and I’ve simply saved them from there.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

No, but I’m a member of a Facebook group called ‘All Aboard Spam’s Bus.’ Not sure if any of you do Facebook but that group turns up loads of photos plus stories, reminiscing etc and I’ve simply saved them from there.

I don't do Facebook Mark - is there any other way of accessing them that you know?

15 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I don't do Facebook Mark - is there any other way of accessing them that you know?

Hi Tony - The photos can only be accessed from the Facebook site as far as I know. The admins/those that run the site add photos periodically and also members of the group can add any as well. I think that with the lockdown, folk are rummaging in their lofts etc and finding stuff.

If you pm me on here with your email address, I could send you photos if I think they would be of interest to you. Probably won’t be that often as sometimes weeks can go by before I find something that relates to our year or that I find particularly interesting.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

There are some great old photos of Darwen football teams from our era on Facebook Tony. Worth going on just for those I would say mate. 

• 3 months later...

I’m sad to have to post that earlier today Tommy Duckworth passed away peacefully at home with his family. What a 95 years. Studied at SMC, served in the navy in the Second World War, went to Loughborough and then on to work with and teach all of us connected with school. He has been very lucky to enjoy a 40 year retirement with his family and friends!! Many will remember him as the guy who organised the half time schools ‘penalty prize’ competition at Ewood during Rovers home games for many years. To all who knew him he made the world a better place.  A great man.  RIP Tommy

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...