BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

• Backroom
8 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

I’ve got no problem with the club being circumspect with the finances this window. FFP is a massive consideration

I wish we'd had this mindset in the past two summer windows, then we might have avoided spending £12m on two duds and being in the situation we're in now. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

I’ve got no problem with the club being circumspect with the finances this window. FFP is a massive consideration and not being able to sell Dack is a huge set back. I assume the fans who expect us to spend millions each window are the same fans who want us to slash ticket prices every week..

Who wants them ‘slashed every week’?

An odd promotional offer and Jack Walker tickets that don’t cost up to £33 on the day isn’t too much to ask...

• Like 4

If we are close to the FFP limit, the way it works means we can either expect up to 3 years before we can “go for it” again, or a big outgoing very soon. Not sure who we could sell with Dack out. Essentially the signings of Brereton and Gallagher will take 3 years to recover from. 

• Like 1

And when we do recover can this manager actually be trusted with any sort of kitty ever again in light of how badly the last 12 million was invested.

It’ll be alreet.

Dave Sharon and the other 2 HSH ex SEM cronies will come to the rescue with a couple of freebies. Soothing Teesside tones, scotch corner service station with a pack of choccy biccies in a brown envelope should be enough to woo the rovers hierarchy.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

I’ve got no problem with the club being circumspect with the finances this window. FFP is a massive consideration and not being able to sell Dack is a huge set back. I assume the fans who expect us to spend millions each window are the same fans who want us to slash ticket prices every week..

Only hyperbole left to defend Mowbray. That's a very bad sign. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, matt83 said:

And when we do recover can this manager actually be trusted with any sort of kitty ever again in light of how badly the last 12 million was invested.

It’ll be alreet.

Dave Sharon and the other 2 HSH ex SEM cronies will come to the rescue with a couple of freebies. Soothing Teesside tones, scotch corner service station with a pack of choccy biccies in a brown envelope should be enough to woo the rovers hierarchy.

how many of Mowbray signings since he came to the club have been from these 3 people? 

I suspect one of the excuses that will be thrown out after the window is closed will be 'nobody is doing much business, it's a tough time'. It may be correct that numbers wise clubs havent done much business and nobody is going out making wholesale changes or splurging millions out.

But I think a lot of clubs can or will be able to argue that they have signed at least one player that improves them in some form or another, even if it is just extra cover in a weak position.

I don't think we will be able to do that because I don't think we will sign anyone, not unless we get shut of someone first.

So once again we are sat waiting to react to things happening rather than taking things by the scruff of the neck.

It's a shame we have so many happy to operate in that way and accept the excuses that come with it.

For me, the minute Dack got injured long term the club would have been going into January to replace him. His absence could not only derail this season but also next. Instead we are just trying to make do with what we already have.

We are 6 points off the play offs with a game in hand and 54 to play for. Whilst I dont think we will get into the top 6 if you aren't going to go for it from this position or the one we were in this time last year then you have to wonder how much they really want it. It isnt over and yet what happens with incomings this week across the division could go a long way towards it being over.

• Like 2

On 12/01/2020 at 12:44, Fraserkirky said:

Rumours in Scotland that Martin Boyle at Hibs is interesting a couple of Championship teams. If we were up looking at Jordan Jones, could be us.

Boyle is absolutely rapid and his ideal position is wide right in a 4-2-3-1. Aussie international. Chips in with goals. Absolutely blistering pace.

Looks like Nixon is now quoting me, I feel honored.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

“It’s only Nixon” but it sounds about right for TM: set out targets, do nothing for three weeks, make a late move, complain that they cost too much, fans blame greedy mercenary players, “keep our powder dry” for the Summer when there’s “better value”.

Rinse/repeat.

Then spunk £7m on a 19 year old out of nowhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J*B said:

If we are close to the FFP limit, the way it works means we can either expect up to 3 years before we can “go for it” again, or a big outgoing very soon. Not sure who we could sell with Dack out. Essentially the signings of Brereton and Gallagher will take 3 years to recover from. 

My understanding is that it’s based on the last three accounts. So technically it would only hinder spending for one year. If you held back then you would have some wiggle room again the following year...

The reason we could do with strengthening a little now too is because our squad is going to need major surgery come the summer. 2 of the back 5 will return to parent clubs while another is unlikely to get a new deal here (and let’s face it, isn’t good enough). Not to mention the other squad players into their last 6 months. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

I suspect one of the excuses that will be thrown out after the window is closed will be 'nobody is doing much business, it's a tough time'. It may be correct that numbers wise clubs havent done much business and nobody is going out making wholesale changes or splurging millions out.

But I think a lot of clubs can or will be able to argue that they have signed at least one player that improves them in some form or another, even if it is just extra cover in a weak position.

I don't think we will be able to do that because I don't think we will sign anyone, not unless we get shut of someone first.

So once again we are sat waiting to react to things happening rather than taking things by the scruff of the neck.

It's a shame we have so many happy to operate in that way and accept the excuses that come with it.

For me, the minute Dack got injured long term the club would have been going into January to replace him. His absence could not only derail this season but also next. Instead we are just trying to make do with what we already have.

We are 6 points off the play offs with a game in hand and 54 to play for. Whilst I dont think we will get into the top 6 if you aren't going to go for it from this position or the one we were in this time last year then you have to wonder how much they really want it. It isnt over and yet what happens with incomings this week across the division could go a long way towards it being over.

I think they knowingly replaced him with Holtby in September.  I fully expected him to move on during the window but injury put paid to that. 

Edited by Pedro
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I think they knowingly replaced him with Holtby in September.  I fully expected him to move on during the window but injury put paid to that. 

So if we had beat Wigan and Birmingham at Xmas and were in the top 6 when the window opened they would have sold Dack to WBA?

If their grand plan when promotion is a realistic outcome is to sell our best player mid season then I'd say they don't really want promotion.

• Like 4

I haven’t got any issues with the club deciding not to spend in January. I hate this window and so do most clubs in general. What I DO have an issue with is our incompetence in the summer window previously.

TM said 5 windows ago that we should just him in 4 windows time. We are well past that judgement point now. Summer recruitment has to be better if you’re going to spend little to nothing in January.

2 hours ago, J*B said:

That really brings it home.

3 hours ago, matt83 said:

Then once we’re in a position to get said better value Tonebola will sit them down and explain they’re not guaranteed to ever start until they buy into his philosophy. Usually takes 6 months to a year. 

Does anyone know what his philosophy is?

The only consistent thing I’ve seen is a diagonal ball from full back to opposite wing - which rarely has any end product.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I haven’t got any issues with the club deciding not to spend in January. I hate this window and so do most clubs in general. What I DO have an issue with is our incompetence in the summer window previously.

TM said 5 windows ago that we should just him in 4 windows time. We are well past that judgement point now. Summer recruitment has to be better if you’re going to spend little to nothing in January.

Tbh, I think the summer window was decent Joe. Tosin, Downing, Cunningham and latterly Holtby were excellent signings imo. Walton has generally done ok apart from the odd rush of blood. Johnson hasn’t been great but is an upgrade on what we had. Gally has been disappointing so far, but I think there’s a player in there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bohinen 22 said:

Billy Sharp would be a top signing. The kind of signing that would make way too much sense for our decision makers. Plus he'd prob need until May to learn about how we play and fit into the group.

I'm sure some would say he is too old/on too high wages etc. Just like they did with Downing. 

12 minutes ago, Stuart said:

That really brings it home.

Not really because the info is incorrect. The losses are based on the current and previous accounts on a rolling basis. So realistically, if you had a year off spending / minimised losses then you would have space to spend in the following financial year.

Sell a player and that immediately creates room in the budget.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Whatever about Brereton, I think people are being very harsh lumping Gallagher into the same category. 

100%. There’s definitely a player in Gallagher. Not a world beater by any stretch of the imagination but I fancy him to kick on to a Danny Graham level for us. 

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Not really because the info is incorrect. The losses are based on the current and previous accounts on a rolling basis. So realistically, if you had a year off spending / minimised losses then you would have space to spend in the following financial year.

Sell a player and that immediately creates room in the budget.

Thats not how FFP works - it’s done in three year cycles. If it was as you say it, you’d get clubs doing literally as you say - one year big fees, if not promoted have a year off. This is part of what FFP is designed to stop, which is why it’s based over 3 years not 12 months. 

There’s three options:

1) Sell a player for a big profit - note the word profit, selling Brereton for 5m does nothing for us in FFP. FFP doesn’t mind you buying big as long as you’re selling bigger.

2) Take another 2.5 seasons working with frees, loans and cheap buys - then go big in season three. This is essentially what we’ve just done - you put 2 years of no significant outgoings against 1 year of higher spending, essentially you spend 3 years worth of budget in one year. 

3) Develop and sell academy players - FFP likes this route a lot, it’s ‘pure’ profit. 

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

100%. There’s definitely a player in Gallagher. Not a world beater by any stretch of the imagination but I fancy him to kick on to a Danny Graham level for us. 

Danny Graham has footballing intelligence and a goalscoring knack that Gallagher simply does not. He is the master of putting his arse in or giving a gentle sly shove to get a yard to hold the ball up, and he knows where the ball is likely to fall and has the composure to capitalise on that. Gallagher lacks both of these and they are hard to coach.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Danny Graham has footballing intelligence and a goalscoring knack that Gallagher simply does not. He is the master of putting his arse in or giving a gentle sly shove to get a yard to hold the ball up, and he knows where the ball is likely to fall and has the composure to capitalise on that. Gallagher lacks both of these and they are hard to coach.

I wasn’t suggesting that they have the same qualities, just that Gallagher could have the same overall effect for us (in terms of goals return / prominence in the team) Over the medium to long term.

• Like 2