BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers linked with German defensive midfielder Partick Erras from Nurnberg

http://roverschat.com/rovers-among-several-in-chase-for-nurnburg-midfielder/

Got to be our least priority position unless we lose Travis. We have Travis, Evans, Johnson, Davenport and Smallwood (probably on his way out tbf) for whom that is basically their only position (ok Travis could play elsewhere but never does and is our best player there). We then have Buckley, Bennett, Downing, Holtby and even Rothwell who are all options there.

Not saying it's an area that's impossible to improve on, at all, but when about half the team needs improvement and depth as a more pressing issue, and with resources likely limited, I'll probably consider it highly frustrating if we recruit in this area. Obviously if the kid turns out to be exceptional and didn't cost much it'll probably be alright, but not if we're still getting roasted down our left flank, shipping dodgy goals with a dodgy keeper, etc.

We need 2 goalkeepers, a left back or two, two centre halves, proper right-back cover, a winger or two, and genuine competition for Armstrong up front, all before we need another defensive midfielder.

Actually, scrap my earlier comment about half the team, that's basically the entire rest of the team that's a bigger issue than this position.

• Like 1

Not to elongate the Maddison discussion too much further but I don't think anybody would be sat there having a hissy fit if we brought him in for free. I'm not saying we should be paying £2m for the lad but a free transfer for a player who's even half way good isn't the end of the world at all. If anything it'd just be nice to have a few more options for the wide roles, as he's played there often and been okay. 

Either way, my main point is, yes we'll all disagree about what he's worth and whether he's worth signing but if it did happen I'd find it very surprising if people were unhappy with it.

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cos despite his good stats he never moved in the past 3 years permanently. Do you find that odd? 

Would I sign him? No I wouldnt

If it was a choice between picking up Maddison on a free and giving him a go on the right wing, or go into another season of Gallagher playing there, which would you choose?

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

But if we did sign him no doubt you'd be saying it was a managerial masterstroke! ?

I would have have massive doubts if we sign him for the reasons I said. 

I wouldnt sign him and I dont expect us to either. 

9 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

If it was a choice between picking up Maddison on a free and giving him a go on the right wing, or go into another season of Gallagher playing there, which would you choose?

Neither cos I sort the problem making a signing whether on loan or permanently

29 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I could have sworn in past windows, Chaddy was raving about Maddison when we were linked. I stand to be corrected and I can't be arsed trailing through to find evidence. Anyway, yes I'd take him in a heartbeat to get Gallagher off the wing. 

31 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Id choose Maddison, i think Gallagher is even shyter 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

I could have sworn in past windows, Chaddy was raving about Maddison when we were linked. I stand to be corrected and I can't be arsed trailing through to find evidence. Anyway, yes I'd take him in a heartbeat to get Gallagher off the wing. 

Well I wasnt. Do you me to post all my comments on Marcus Maddison? 

30 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

He thought it was James

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cos despite his good stats he never moved in the past 3 years permanently. Do you find that odd? 

Would I sign him? No I wouldnt

No, he wanted a lot in wages and Peterborough were reluctant to take appropriate money for him, which is their prerogative. Hull have every chance of going down so it doesn't surprise me if they didn't want to commit to that. Admittedly it may put him out of our range too, but I'd definitely be making enquiries on a free, offer him a bigger signing on fee instead of structure-breaking wages, etc.

Do you find it odd that Matt Le Tissier had good stats for about 10 years and never left Southampton? Guess he was shit then. Maddison has had numerous suitors over the years, the fact a deal never materialised will primarily be finances. I fail to see why this point keeps coming up.

His stats have been good for 5-6 years btw. Still only 26, coming into his prime. One season anything like the seasons he had in League One and his value will shoot up. Not had much game time in the Championship yet, but managed a goal against Swansea in his 338 minutes. Well worth the risk if we can be satisfied on the finances. Every deal is a risk Chaddy, but the calculations on this risk add up nicely to me (certainly compared to the risk of, as the other poster said, persevering with Gally on the wing!).

Anyway I'll leave it at that for now, I'm sure we'll end up spending weeks discussing him again to no avail, so with my piece said,  I'll try to keep out of it :P

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Do you find it odd that Matt Le Tissier had good stats for about 10 years and never left Southampton? Guess he was shit then. Maddison has had numerous suitors over the years, the fact a deal never materialised will primarily be finances. I fail to see why this point keeps coming up.

No I dont actually after knowing the reasons why he stayed at Southampton. https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/03/27/southampton-legend-matt-le-tissier-explains-why-he-turned-down-h/

As I Child growing up watching Matt Le Tissier, he was very good player and I wish we signed him when we had Shearer in our team. 

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

His stats have been good for 5-6 years btw. Still only 26, coming into his prime. One season anything like the seasons he had in League One and his value will shoot up. Not had much game time in the Championship yet, but managed a goal against Swansea in his 338 minutes. Well worth the risk if we can be satisfied on the finances. Every deal is a risk Chaddy, but the calculations on this risk add up nicely to me (certainly compared to the risk of, as the other poster said, persevering with Gally on the wing!).

I have screenshot Maddison's season on season league stats for anyone who wants to look. 

Like I say before I wouldnt be playing Gallagher wide right. I would looking for right footed pacey winger like Jacob Murphy on loan from Newcastle or Leko from WBA. 

Screenshot_20200613-192712_Chrome.jpg

25 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No I dont actually after knowing the reasons why he stayed at Southampton. https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/03/27/southampton-legend-matt-le-tissier-explains-why-he-turned-down-h/

As I Child growing up watching Matt Le Tissier, he was very good player and I wish we signed him when we had Shearer in our team. 

I have screenshot Maddison's season on season league stats for anyone who wants to look. 

Like I say before I wouldnt be playing Gallagher wide right. I would looking for right footed pacey winger like Jacob Murphy on loan from Newcastle or Leko from WBA. 

I dont think that its dawned on you yet that its not going to be a normal transfer window, we should sign x, y and z, "any Blackburn news Al?" kind of summer.

Yesterdays statement proves that on the back of the pandemic that there isnt the money for transfers about. We will I am sure sign a keeper as we dont have one and possibly a freebie or another loan once Adarabioyo goes back but aside from them necessities, we wont start signing loads of other players surely. And if we do, it makes the clubs stance even more hollow.

The whole market will surely grind to a halt. We cant sell players really because no one will be able to buy our players. Peterborough have said that Ivan Toney has to be sold, I have no idea who they think can or will buy him.

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

Not to elongate the Maddison discussion too much further but I don't think anybody would be sat there having a hissy fit if we brought him in for free. I'm not saying we should be paying £2m for the lad but a free transfer for a player who's even half way good isn't the end of the world at all. If anything it'd just be nice to have a few more options for the wide roles, as he's played there often and been okay. 

Either way, my main point is, yes we'll all disagree about what he's worth and whether he's worth signing but if it did happen I'd find it very surprising if people were unhappy with it.

Due to the Covid situation our transfer spending is surely set to be hardly anything (also adding in the previous big spend on BB and SG), so picking up a free transfer like this, feels like the way to go.

And, as you say, more options in the wide areas can only be a good thing.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

We all know Le Tissier didn't leave Southampton because he was loyal. The point is, you don't know why Maddison hasn't moved yet, but you're assuming it's because he isn't good enough. Even though he has had his suitors over the years.

The stats you posted agree with the comment I made about them. I don't think we have any chance of landing Murphy. We need to stop relying on loans as much too. No upsell in them and our budget is going to get increasingly stretched. Don't know anything about Leko.

Dammit you suckered me back into talking about it ?

Edited by bluebruce

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont think that its dawned on you yet that its not going to be a normal transfer window, we should sign x, y and z, " kind of summer.

Yesterdays statement proves that on the back of the pandemic that there isnt the money for transfers about. We will I am sure sign a keeper as we dont have one and possibly a freebie or another loan once Adarabioyo goes back but aside from them necessities, we wont start signing loads of other players surely. And if we do, it makes the clubs stance even more hollow.

The whole market will surely grind to a halt. We cant sell players really because no one will be able to buy our players. Peterborough have said that Ivan Toney has to be sold, I have no idea who they think can or will buy him. 

Why you keep these kinds of judgements and comments I have no idea cos I think you are trying to wind up. 

We have no idea what will happen this transfer window. We have gaps in our squad that need filling this next transfer window. We might to sell a player or 2 to suit FFP rules but the those rules might be relax

Chelsea being linked Sancho for 100 million or Man Utd linked with King which will help us if we have sell on clause. Everton will go big again. Palace might have to sell Zaha. 

You mention Toney, well back in January Bournemouth and Brentford was both linked with him. Brentford have the money cos of their sales they done over the last 2 years. 

Plus teams coming down from PL will spend you would think to get promote.