BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Like I said that we end 4 or 5 players injuries and suspension. Having 23 man squad gives us deeper depth squad. 

yes but getting a few minutes here and there isn't any good long term to our younger players caddy.They need to be playing and getting experience.

• Like 1

Despite the recent resurgence, we can not go into this Window with anything but having the intention of bringing in a keeper a centre half and a left back. If rumours are to believed and Cunningham is signing then I would loan a LB for the rest of the season. However if Bell performs like he did on Saturday for the next 3 games, then I say it's our least of priorities.

Centre back must be priority number 1. I personally would go for Ayala. I like Cooper a lot but I just can't see Millwall letting him go or him wanting to leave. 

As for a goalkeeper, once again Walton has improved of late but we need our own number 1. I imagine he'll come from Europe, but if the opportunity was there I would do everything to get Hennessey. 

Brewster has been mentioned a few times, and I think he fits the profile for our attacking wide players. He would be a great signing on loan and I can really see that one happening.

I believe this is going to be the most important transfer window of TMs reign and one that we can't mess up.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Think Ive made my position quite clear. 

you have and it's nonsense.Absolutely no idea why you think it's a good thing long term for Buckley to be spending his time sat on the bench not playing.

We make these signings you want then he will most likely not even be on the bench 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Despite the recent resurgence, we can not go into this Window with anything but having the intention of bringing in a keeper a centre half and a left back. If rumours are to believed and Cunningham is signing then I would loan a LB for the rest of the season. However if Bell performs like he did on Saturday for the next 3 games, then I say it's our least of priorities.

Centre back must be priority number 1. I personally would go for Ayala. I like Cooper a lot but I just can't see Millwall letting him go or him wanting to leave. 

As for a goalkeeper, once again Walton has improved of late but we need our own number 1. I imagine he'll come from Europe, but if the opportunity was there I would do everything to get Hennessey. 

Brewster has been mentioned a few times, and I think he fits the profile for our attacking wide players. He would be a great signing on loan and I can really see that one happening.

I believe this is going to be the most important transfer window of TMs reign and one that we can't mess up.

We need to look at what the situation in the summer will likely be. Hence we need a keeper to compete with Walton on a permanent. Another cb is vital in the short term. If Cunningham is coming back for next season then like you say maybe we can wait or at least leave left back to last.

if we got a few out I wouldn’t mind a proper winger either 

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I want 2 or 3 signings in January.

Ive said let Samuel, Chapman, Smallwood go in January. 

Our current squad

Keepers- Walton Luetwiler

Defenders - Nyambe Lenihan Tosin Bell Williams

Midfielders - Bennett Holtby Evans Buckley Johnson Travis Rothwell Downing

Attack- Armstrong Brereton Gallagher Dack Graham

Thats our current 1st team squad before you.add players from under 23's or out of favour players.its only 20 players. So added a left back, centre back and keeper to.that only makes it 23 players squad

I put two teams together a week or two ago and I still had some players over.  It's the out of favour ones that aren't in your post that need moving on, if only on loan. Smallwood, Samuel, Davenport, Gladwin, Chapman, Hart one or two of the younger players. We could afford a quality keeper if we could shift some of that drag on the wage bill.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Angry_Pirate said:

I'm not suggesting we should loan all of the names listed but Buckley should be a no brainer to move out.

You'd seriously rather keep Buckley around to play 6 minutes every fourth game? Not to mention the lad seems miles away from being ready for this league/team. 

And (for me) if we could get Brereton loaned to, for example, Barnsley/Luton/Charlton where he can/will play... surely that's a win win? I'm not against keeping him in case of injuries but one of him or Samuel should be loaned.

Hasn't Buckley started games though? Really depends on where too. Wycombe might be good. 

I wouldn't loan Brereton out either, especially after he started the other day. He's in contention now. Let him have a run at it. 

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Buckley is miles away from being in a position to add value to our team at the moment, barring his deflected winner v Sheffield Wednesday, he comes on and doesnt add anything, he looks like a little boy lost. He is only a young and incredibly slight young lad who would probably benefit from regular football in a lower league where he could toughen up without costing us in the process. We have Dack, Rothwell, Holtby, Armstrong, Downing and Bennett so he wont be missed. Chapman and Rankin Costello, or at least one of them, would also benefit from this if they arent going to get a game for the first team,

Brereton did ok yesterday but he never looked like scoring and he probably contributed the least out of the 11 starters. He hasnt been missed during his absence and he often doesnt look up to standard. Again, some regular game time could do him the world of good.

See above! 

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

See above! 

Hasnt Buckley only started the one game when he was taken off at half time? He has been really off the pace and has stood out a mile as being out of place whenever he has appeared.

You say Brereton can have a run at it but that wont happen with Graham, Dack and Gallagher about, plus again he is another who looks like hes not up to the standard. Go into League 1 and score a few and then reassess in the summer as hes not up to it at the moment.

Not only are both not up to it at this present moment, so cant maintain the standard set by everyone else, but their development will be hindered by limited playing time.

Would Buckley go straight into the team for Wycombe? Suspect he would need to look further down the food chain.

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Hasnt Buckley only started the one game when he was taken off at half time? He has been really off the pace and has stood out a mile as being out of place whenever he has appeared.

You say Brereton can have a run at it but that wont happen with Graham, Dack and Gallagher about, plus again he is another who looks like hes not up to the standard. Go into League 1 and score a few and then reassess in the summer as hes not up to it at the moment.

Not only are both not up to it at this present moment, so cant maintain the standard set by everyone else, but their development will be hindered by limited playing time.

Would Buckley go straight into the team for Wycombe? Suspect he would need to look further down the food chain.

The likes of Scott Wharton can cope in those leagues at 6ft 4" but not Buckley. Buckley will only get better by getting minutes against Brentford type teams who'll fanny around with possession football, and playing in 23's game where the physicality is lesser and there's room for continued improvement.

Buckley has been a victim of being called up to our subs bench, no longer playing in enough youth games, but not playing for the first team either.

Will DEFINITELY go the way of Willem Tomlinson rather than Lewis Travis.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I put two teams together a week or two ago and I still had some players over.  It's the out of favour ones that aren't in your post that need moving on, if only on loan. Smallwood, Samuel, Davenport, Gladwin, Chapman, Hart one or two of the younger players. We could afford a quality keeper if we could shift some of that drag on the wage bill.

I did say I would sell Smallwood and Samuel in the past. 

Might keep davenport at the club also. 

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

The likes of Scott Wharton can cope in those leagues at 6ft 4" but not Buckley. Buckley will only get better by getting minutes against Brentford type teams who'll fanny around with possession football, and playing in 23's game where the physicality is lesser and there's room for continued improvement.

Buckley has been a victim of being called up to our subs bench, no longer playing in enough youth games, but not playing for the first team either.

He needs to get kicked about and learn how to put himself about in return.  If he cant hack the physicality then he wont get far. Look at Dack, similarly small and slight but knows how to handle himself.

Hes not good enough either to have an impact at Championship level, when he comes on he looks out of place, even on the ball he doesnt ever anything bar that one heavily deflected goal.

The choices are continue to give him cameos when he looks out of place which could cost us, let him play under 23s and risk stagnation playing against kids or give him the tough education of the lower leagues where he can learn how to impact games against men.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JoeH said:

It's horrific to remember that 12 months ago Travis was about to go the same way is Willem Tomlinson and off on loan to L1 in January before Smallwood had the "standout moment of the season" and got a 3 game ban at Sheff Utd away. We've really never looked back.

Scary to even wonder what might have transpired with Travis (and Ritchie), had Smallwood stayed on his feet that day.

For the record, you could clearly tell back then from his 6 minute cameos that Travis had something quality about him... I really don't see that in Buckley.

Just now, Swanson said:

Quick scout on their forum suggests that he was a bit of a whipping boy from their fans until fairly recently, who has won a lot of them over after having a good season so far.

Having said that, the fact that he has 6 months left on his contract and the number of clubs involved makes it look like agent talk to me.  

7 hours ago, JoeH said:

Wow. Just wow!

56 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Wow. Just wow!

To be honest I have seen nothing from him to suggest that hes anywhere near being able to make a breakthrough.

Which part of the post did you disagree with? He definitely needs to toughen up in a lower league but I can see the paralells of the risk of falling between the cracks of regularly just making the 18 (often his appearances seem to be from the sake of it) so as a result not even playing reserve football against kids.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

To be honest I have seen nothing from him to suggest that hes anywhere near being able to make a breakthrough.

Which part of the post did you disagree with? He definitely needs to toughen up in a lower league but I can see the paralells of the risk of falling between the cracks of regularly just making the 18 (often his appearances seem to be from the sake of it) so as a result not even playing reserve football against kids.

I'd guess it was the certainty of the post give that he's hardly played, rather than the content, but I don't want to put words in his mouth.

For what it's worth, it's hard to get away from how he's looked like a little boy in his cameos, but it's far too early to read anything into that in my view. I remember listening to a podcast with Gary Neville when he was asked if there was a Man U teammate he thought wasn't likely to make it, and he went on to say that he couldn't for the life of him see how someone of Paul Scholes' size and fitness could make it as a footballer when they were younger.

Not for a second saying Buckley is going to be Scholes! But if he has got where he has based on talent and a brain, let's wait to see where they can take him before we say he's going to fall down the leagues!

• Like 2

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

I'd guess it was the certainty of the post give that he's hardly played, rather than the content, but I don't want to put words in his mouth.

For what it's worth, it's hard to get away from how he's looked like a little boy in his cameos, but it's far too early to read anything into that in my view. I remember listening to a podcast with Gary Neville when he was asked if there was a Man U teammate he thought wasn't likely to make it, and he went on to say that he couldn't for the life of him see how someone of Paul Scholes' size and fitness could make it as a footballer when they were younger.

Not for a second saying Buckley is going to be Scholes! But if he has got where he has based on talent and a brain, let's wait to see where they can take him before we say he's going to fall down the leagues!

My opinion is that he should go further down the leagues because he can prove without harming us that he can impact games in spite of his frail stature. At this time, him playing for us causes us more problems than our opponents.

• Like 2