BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Lewis Holtby

2 hours ago, Traviscon said:

We haven't had a midfielder who could play a pass like that for Armstrongs goal since Tugay*. 

*This is not me advocating he's as good as Tugay was, he isn't. 

I agree, at least since Buckley's through ball for Armstrong to score last week! ;)

• Like 7

• Backroom

I've always enjoyed watching Holtby play for us. Even during his quieter games there are always periods where he demonstrates his class. I don't think our previous system suited his talents very well, but the new formation and playing style is allowing him to show his ability in full. As always my only concern with Holtby is fitness, but let's face it, if he didn't have fitness issues he'd be playing at a far higher level than the Championship. 

• Like 3

Holtby has taken on the responsibility that Stewart Downing brunted in 2019/20 for being the creative passer from deep. It's great as it means we don't need to pay another years wages for a 36 year old, and can keep that budget for some young squad player loans to fill up our bench.

3 hours ago, DE. said:

I've always enjoyed watching Holtby play for us. Even during his quieter games there are always periods where he demonstrates his class. I don't think our previous system suited his talents very well, but the new formation and playing style is allowing him to show his ability in full. As always my only concern with Holtby is fitness, but let's face it, if he didn't have fitness issues he'd be playing at a far higher level than the Championship. 

Previous system didn't suit many of them really so i just hope the manager has been building with this one in mind. Otherwise as others get fit again we'll be back to strikers on the wings etc.  For years we've been crying out for something that's built around all the good players and the others fit in like cogs.

Looks like it might finally be here !

6 hours ago, JoeH said:

Holtby has taken on the responsibility that Stewart Downing brunted in 2019/20 for being the creative passer from deep. It's great as it means we don't need to pay another years wages for a 36 year old, and can keep that budget for some young squad player loans to fill up our bench.

It's not just the passing though is it?Whereas Downing played at a more sedate pace, Holtby moves the ball quickly and generally forward, not just in our defensive third but in the attacking third also. So the tempo is automatically quicker and that is, for me, the main reason why we are performing so well.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, LDRover said:

It's not just the passing though is it?Whereas Downing played at a more sedate pace, Holtby moves the ball quickly and generally forward, not just in our defensive third but in the attacking third also. So the tempo is automatically quicker and that is, for me, the main reason why we are performing so well.

Kind of, I think your perhaps underplaying how vital Stewart Downing was to our side. I think the speedier transition into attack is just as much down to a completely overhauled tactical style as it is to Holtby > Downing

56 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Couldn't agree more. We're pressing the opposition more, yes. But the big difference from last season is that we're doing more with the ball in the midfield. Holtby has been instrumental in this.

On 18/09/2020 at 04:08, JacknOry said:

Personally think we will start to see the best of him this season. Was played all over the shop last season and hadnt had much of a preseason when he came in. Do hope he can stay as injury free as possible though.

Just to bump this purely for bragging rights come end of promotion season.

• Like 2

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I thought he was a bit peripheral last season. Having said that he was played all over the shop by Mowbray. He never really got to play in the role he's got now.

yeah, we didnt see the best of him other than in spurts but I never once thought he put in a shit display. 

22 hours ago, LDRover said:

I've been impressed with Holtby and Rothwell both putting a foot in too. Much more than Downing did. We haven't really missed Travis in that department which I am amazed to say.

• Like 1

On 06/11/2019 at 16:07, Paul Mani said:

I didn’t say they’d be our regular starting CM by Christmas. I said that Buckley would be playing / involved regularly from Christmas and that eventually I see him settling in CM next to Trav. 

Holtby is 100% not a CM. But hey ho. Game of opinions I guess.

Indeed, I always find it fascinating debating football as two people rarely see everything the same.

Where would you play Holtby out of interest?

I see him as an attacking central midfielder coming from deep who can chip in with the odd goal, play a killer pass, and who can put his foot in aswell rather than a number 10 type player who plays off the forward, if you look at his career stats he doesn't score enough goals for a number 10, and please dont go all Mowbray on me and suggest he should play as a wide forward!

Think Travis and Holtby would make a cracking midfield pair if given 10/12 games together.

Hate to toot my own horn, but I made this post nearly a year ago.

It was as clear as day that Holtby would be best in that deep midfield role as soon as he joined, why Mowbray was messing around playing him everywhere but there is a mystery to me.

@Paul Mani reckoned he wasn't a CM ?

In all fairness though, earlier in this thread I said I was convinced that he wouldn't be here this season, I thought it was a strange deal at the start and he would be back in Germany by now.

I do think he will leave after this season though, and that Mowbray has eyes on Buckley taking up this role as a regular next season, hopefully it comes off.

• Like 2