BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Lewis Holtby

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Show pony for me. The new Per Frandsen. 

If he is just a show pony, you have to ask why?

He is the most astute player in our squad. We've missed a trick due to bad management in my opinion. Fancy benching him.

The next time we have a Germany or England international in our team will be a long time hence.

Unbelievealbe own goal.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Tabula Rasa said:

He is the most astute player in our squad. We've missed a trick due to bad management in my opinion. Fancy benching him.

The next time we have a Germany or England international in our team will be a long time hence.

Unbelievealbe own goal.

A former German international, who by the time we signed him had been without a club for months after being released from the German 2nd tier. 

• Like 4

It's not clear from what Mowbray said as to whether the contract has been terminated. You would think so, but it could conceivably be the case that Holtby is now on paid leave, if he has a basic salary.

I don't understand why Holtby was on the bench for Huddersfield. Mowbray has stated he wants to give young players a chance like Buckley and yet, has not started him lately, and would rather leave a gap on the bench than put someone like McBride, Burns, Butterworth, Whitehall, Garrett or Barnes there.

On a different note, I'd be glad to know the last time a veteran ex-Prem 'star' or from top tier football elsewhere, player succeeded at Rovers.

To varying extents, Holtby, Danny Murphy, Stewart Downing and Peter Whittingham have been relative flops. It makes me wonder whether the style of play in the modern game makes it harder for such players to make an impact in the lower leagues late in their careers.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 2

Definitely the right decision to let Holtby go, he lives off promise from 10 years ago but he has been a huge disappointment.

I just hope that the likes of Johnson, Evans and Bell arent in line for new deals based on their recent involvement.

10 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

It's not clear from what Mowbray said as to whether the contract has been terminated. You would think so, but it could conceivably be the case that Holtby is now on paid leave, if he has a basic salary.

I don't understand why Holtby was on the bench for Huddersfield. Mowbray has stated he wants to give young players a chance like Buckley and yet, has not started him lately, and would rather leave a gap on the bench than put someone like McBride, Burns, Butterworth, Whitehall, Garrett or Barnes there.

On a different note, I'd be glad to know the last time a veteran ex-Prem 'star' or from top tier football elsewhere, player succeeded at Rovers.

To varying extents, Holtby, Danny Murphy, Stewart Downing and Peter Whittingham have been relative flops. It makes me wonder whether the style of play in the modern game makes it harder for such players to make an impact in the lower leagues late in their careers.

Downing has been invisible this year, seldom playing after signing so late into the season was never a recipe for success but he was excellent last year.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

A former German international, who by the time we signed him had been without a club for months after being released from the German 2nd tier. 

HSV are a bigger club than we'll ever be. The fans idolised him. He refused to fit in with the rest of the goldiggers in the club. That's why he left. 

Then he was benched by Mowbray.

He's in no way perfect and who knows why he wants to leave.

But really. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

• Like 4

Huge disappointment for me. Neat and tidy on the ball but lacks a drive to win you need in the championship. Pretty much epitomises Mowbrays philosophy. Even when he played well he lacked end product. No loss really. 

Now hopefully a few more follow him out the door. Manager first please.

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

26 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

I think you have to judge them individually really.

Murphy's legs had gone everyone knew it, Fulham offered him a year extension but told him he'd be on the bench and not involved much. Nobody in England would have given him the contract he got here. It was a stinker, a clear stitch up job by dastardly & mutley.

Downing still had something although it was largely wasted here and it would have been better spending those wages elsewhere.

Whittingham a good enough signing for league 1 but he had no real job in mind for him. Anybody else would have had him in Evans position or just as back up to him. Not our guy, just get him in then try and make him fit in somewhere. Typical Mowbray.

Holtby another good signing but they really have to start finding the balance between risk and reward. Like the Ayala signing you know you aren't going to get many games out of them. So is it really worth it ?

Fine with that. On a free he was probably worth a punt, but it hasn't worked out really. He'll be 31 just after next season starts, pretty injury prone and doesn't really stand out much when he does play - neat and tidy, but he's never really looked a class above, apart from maybe during some of our big wins against 10 men earlier this season.

Seems a decent guy though so good luck to him.

Hopefully he'll be followed out the door by some of the others who'll be out of contract and of course Mowbray himself.

13 hours ago, Tabula Rasa said:

Unbelievealbe own goal.

Certainly a talent with a good pedigree. I just think that the stars didn't align. His first kid, family in Germany and lockdowns in place, catching Covid and some niggling injuries. I thought he going to be the new Tugay after Preston away but it just wasn't to be.

Edited by O'Malley

17 hours ago, Tabula Rasa said:

HSV are a bigger club than we'll ever be. The fans idolised him. He refused to fit in with the rest of the goldiggers in the club. That's why he left. 

Then he was benched by Mowbray.

He's in no way perfect and who knows why he wants to leave.

But really. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Hamburg were undoubtedly a big club 40 years ago but now they are firmly 2nd tier club. Brereton came from Forest who were also a big club 40 years ago it has no relevance to today.

What we do know about Holtby is that he was injury prone, when he was on the pitch he didn't have the legs and was often anonymous. The only times Holtby looked any good was when he was playing against 10 men.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Hamburg were undoubtedly a big club 40 years ago but now they are firmly 2nd tier club. Brereton came from Forest who were also a big club 40 years ago it has no relevance to today.

What we do know about Holtby is that he was injury prone, when he was on the pitch he didn't have the legs and was often anonymous. The only times Holtby looked any good was when he was playing against 10 men.

That's a bit of a stretch.

3rd year at 2 and currently 3rd.

We are the club who are 2nd tier but for sure not firmly.

Holtby has disappointed but not at much as the Boro hospital patients and holidaymakers.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

I actually think that Holtby is the kind of player we need albeit with more consistency performance wise. Too many games have been lost because we haven’t had the killer touch and we saw more evidence of this yesterday. If tombola tony continues this is a major area which needs looking at!

21 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Definitely the right decision to let Holtby go, he lives off promise from 10 years ago but he has been a huge disappointment.

I just hope that the likes of Johnson, Evans and Bell arent in line for new deals based on their recent involvement.

Downing has been invisible this year, seldom playing after signing so late into the season was never a recipe for success but he was excellent last year.

I agree that its the correct decision that Holtby goes. 

I hope Rovers don't renew Johnson, Evans, Bennett and Bell contracts. They need to be release

On Downing, He is possibly coming in as under 23's coach under Billy Barr for next season if he retire 

Oh good. Another Mowbray directed appointment to the coaching staff of a close friend of his. Should make him even more indispensable. Good news for the car share back to Teesside though.

Why would Billy Barr retire? How old is he?

I do find it remarkably convenient how all these people out of contract we are deciding not to renew the contracts of. 

Of course the reality is that the likes of Holtby, Evans and Bennett could be brilliant and essential to our futures and we wouldn't have sorted out new contracts for them. Only have to look at the Armstrong, Nyambe, JRC and Rothwell situations to see that.

Lets not pretend they are following a plan here. They aren't. These people are out of contract and we can't offer them new terms. Convenient that most of them are replaceable but that's a secondary issue.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I agree that its the correct decision that Holtby goes. 

I hope Rovers don't renew Johnson, Evans, Bennett and Bell contracts. They need to be release

On Downing, He is possibly coming in as under 23's coach under Billy Barr for next season if he retire 

What, why?

Why on earth should Downing get a cushy job courtesy of the Club when he retires?

What can he possibly add to the mix working under Barr if Barr is still here?

It was ludicrous that Downing received a second playing contract in the first place to sit there doing nothing. This is an even more ludicrous notion and yet more evidence if any were needed that the Coventrio need disbanding asap.

• Like 3

On Holtby, not really bothered either way whether he stays or goes. When we were playing well at the start of the season I thought he was the key to it all but since that initial phenomenal burst he's been very inconsistent.

There's a lot more players than him we need to see the back off first though, Bennett, Evans and Johnson being the most obvious three who spring to mind.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Why would Billy Barr retire? How old is he?

I meant Downing is retiring. Apologies for the confused. 

10 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

What, why?

Why on earth should Downing get a cushy job courtesy of the Club when he retires?

What can he possibly add to the mix working under Barr if Barr is still here?

It was ludicrous that Downing received a second playing contract in the first place to sit there doing nothing. This is an even more ludicrous notion and yet more evidence if any were needed that the Coventrio need disbanding asap.

He travelled to the Chelsea game with the under 23's to be assistant to Billy Barr for the game. According to Mowbray he has been part of the under 23's coaching staff for some games. 

I thought Downing was good in his first season until lockdown came then after that he was awful to be honest and I wouldn't have give him a contract for this season. 

What can he add to the Mix? I don't know. As we haven't been allowed to go to games this season I can't say. I thought Johnson and Dunn was a good coaching partnership for the under 23's when they were in charge of it

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I meant Downing is retiring. Apologies for the confused. 

He travelled to the Chelsea game with the under 23's to be assistant to Billy Barr for the game. According to Mowbray he has been part of the under 23's coaching staff for some games. 

I thought Downing was good in his first season until lockdown came then after that he was awful to be honest and I wouldn't have give him a contract for this season. 

What can he add to the Mix? I don't know. As we haven't been allowed to go to games this season I can't say. I thought Johnson and Dunn was a good coaching partnership for the under 23's when they were in charge of it

A proper CEO would put an end to all this sort of nonsense. Downing was a terrible signing second time around so annexing him to the coaching staff just sounds like a desperate attempt to justify the expenditure on bringing him in.

19 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

A proper CEO would put an end to all this sort of nonsense. Downing was a terrible signing second time around so annexing him to the coaching staff just sounds like a desperate attempt to justify the expenditure on bringing him in.

Waggott isn't that tho. 

• Like 1