BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Lewis Holtby

Obviously a quality signing. And if it's a one for one replacement for Smallwood or Evans we are hugely improved.

Only downside is it puts Travis and Buckley  further away from starting. Particularly harsh on Travis who I think has been one of our best players for months.

Hmmm. I wonder if we will move Travis to right back? It's where he started his career?

-----------------------Walton

Travis-----Lenihan-----Williams---Cunningham

------------------Holtby----Johnson

-----Armstring-----Dack------Downing

------------------------Gallagher

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Holtby would be very good signing and would increase the squad quality. Football is a squad game and there is plenty of games and we need strength in depth. We will pick up suspensions and injuries during the season. 

We will play different formations during the season and I believe this right for me

I would like to think that Holtby is more than "strength in depth" he is a step up in quality youd think on what we already have. 

We need to find a way of playing that works that we can play consistently. At the moment I feel like Mowbray is still trying to stumble across the correct formula, I dont think its a good idea to keep changing formation long term.

For example, playing 3 at the back is a formation that requires everyone to know what they are doing, look at Sheffield United, they play it week in week out. Im not a fan of the "split striker" thing either. 

44 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

If this one happens I think it would complete a set up. Buckley played vs Millwall obviously to try and provide more ball play than Travis, but if Holtby can do so at a much higher level then the jigsaw is finished.

Cunningham, Johnson, Walton, Holtby, Gallagher, Adarabioyo and Downing all in in one season is pretty neat to me.

If we can get rid of Smallwood, Evans, Samuel, Hart, maybe even Graham and bring in a couple more in January you'd be not far wrong to call it our most successful year for transfers in over a decade.

Theres not much competition! Weve definitely improved the squad/team, especially assuming Holtby signs. Mainly in the midfield area as well as a huge upgrade at LB. The problem is we are 15m down in attack yet no closer to finding a cutting edge and thats a worry that could let us down. And is the reason we cannot consider letting Graham go.

• Like 2

Lets be honest, next season Graham, Downing, Evans, Smallwood, Samuel, Hart, Leutwiler, Bell and potentially more should be nowhere near our starting team, most not even in the starting 18. The recruitment has to be constant, because yes, right now we're flushed of midfielders, but once we move Evans & Smallwood on, we won't be, and if you isolate it to Holtby vs Those Two, he wins every time.

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

Lets be honest, next season Graham, Downing, Evans, Smallwood, Samuel, Hart, Leutwiler, Bell and potentially more should be nowhere near our starting team, most not even in the starting 18. The recruitment has to be constant, because yes, right now we're flushed of midfielders, but once we move Evans & Smallwood on, we won't be, and if you isolate it to Holtby vs Those Two, he wins every time.

Fair points about Evans and Smallwood, Graham i'd be keeping around unless they shape up and replace him.  The rest you've mentioned straight through the door if we want to improve, thousands is tied up in wages there.

However this is Mowbray perennial nice guy so i'd expect him to faze out DG because they want him off the payroll, Samuel will be thrown a bone as will Bell.  Hart and the keeper might get moved on and Downing will get another 12 months even if he's using a frame to get about by then.

Evans and Smallwood who knows....

Just now, tomphil said:

Fair points about Evans and Smallwood, Graham i'd be keeping around unless they shape up and replace him.  The rest you've mentioned straight through the door if we want to improve, thousands is tied up in wages there.

However this is Mowbray perennial nice guy so i'd expect him to faze out DG because they want him off the payroll, Samuel will be thrown a bone as will Bell.  Hart and the keeper might get moved on and Downing will get another 12 months even if he's using a frame to get about by then.

Evans and Smallwood who knows....

If Evans & Smallwood are at this club in September 2020, I'd be shocked and disappointed. I firmly believe they'd struggle to get into any side in this division. They're the past and I'd be moving them on in January should Holtby come off.

Lewis Holtby with very good pedigree, Greg Cunningham who came highly rated, Bradley Johnson is used to spending most of his time in the top 6 of this league, a £5m striker, Mowbray has been able to sell and keep who he’s wanted = despite there are still a couple of areas I think we can improve, there should be high expectations from all fans now to (in the words of Mr. Bowyer) have a right good go THIS season while we have this squad together and while the league is so wide open.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I would like to think that Holtby is more than "strength in depth" he is a step up in quality youd think on what we already have. 

We need to find a way of playing that works that we can play consistently. At the moment I feel like Mowbray is still trying to stumble across the correct formula, I dont think its a good idea to keep changing formation long term.

For example, playing 3 at the back is a formation that requires everyone to know what they are doing, look at Sheffield United, they play it week in week out. Im not a fan of the "split striker" thing either. 

Rovers had worked on 3 at the back for 2 weeks prior to the game. I like the 3 at the back from a defensive point of view. It took Sheffield United weeks to get it right but they did. 

Rovers will switch formations week in week out depending on who we are playing, game situation and how the game is going. I dont see the players being confused by it either  

Never said Holtby was strength in depth signing. I said his signing would increase the squad quality..my strength in depth comment was about the overall strength in centre midfield

58 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I wonder if Downing's age might be a slight factor too. As much as I've been pleasantly surprised by him so far, you can only really go 12 months at a time for a player in his mid 30s. Next season he might be gone/much less of a fixture.

Downing has been good in the majority of games. 

Holtby would be a good signing, played 26 times for Hamburg last season and their fans held a petition for the club to offer him a new contract!

Not sure where he really fits in to the team, is more of an attacking player so maybe on the right, as an inverted winger, but then again Mowbray doesn't have a fixed 11, will depend on the game. Don't think he'll replace Travis as they are 2 completely different players. 

interesting one for sure, but will definitely improve the quality of our team and help keep the ball better which Mowbray is v keen to do.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

If Evans & Smallwood are at this club in September 2020, I'd be shocked and disappointed. I firmly believe they'd struggle to get into any side in this division. They're the past and I'd be moving them on in January should Holtby come off.

Not so easy though when they are sitting on the nice contracts Tony gave them.  Catch 22 they won't go early unless something good comes in or they're paid off.  Having them around there's always the feeling he'll start using them again to justify it.

If he can keep adding a bit of quality along the way like Holtby then next summer becomes as much about clearing out as recruiting.

Major priority for me is tieing Greg Cunningham down to something permanent. I'd happily pay a few million for him to keep him around. We're a right footed Greg Cunningham away from being a really REALLY decent side.

25 minutes ago, frosty said:

Lewis Holtby with very good pedigree, Greg Cunningham who came highly rated, Bradley Johnson is used to spending most of his time in the top 6 of this league, a £5m striker, Mowbray has been able to sell and keep who he’s wanted = despite there are still a couple of areas I think we can improve, there should be high expectations from all fans now to (in the words of Mr. Bowyer) have a right good go THIS season while we have this squad together and while the league is so wide open.

Spot on, no ones expecting top 6 but we need to be having a good go every week now there's nothing to lose we've surely enough about us to not go down.

To be fair to Mowbray all those signings are upgrades imo although in Gallaghers case you'd have to be comparing him to Brereton as a wide striker but he's certainly better than Samuel.

Just now, tomphil said:

Spot on, no ones expecting top 6 but we need to be having a good go every week now there's nothing to lose we've surely enough about us to not go down.

To be fair to Mowbray all those signings are upgrades imo although in Gallaghers case you'd have to be comparing him to Brereton as a wide striker but he's certainly better than Samuel.

I am expecting top six at least.

48 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

Major priority for me is tieing Greg Cunningham down to something permanent. I'd happily pay a few million for him to keep him around. We're a right footed Greg Cunningham away from being a really REALLY decent side.

Again, not yet. Until TM can get a striker firing we won't touch the top 6.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers had worked on 3 at the back for 2 weeks prior to the game. I like the 3 at the back from a defensive point of view. It took Sheffield United weeks to get it right but they did. 

Rovers will switch formations week in week out depending on who we are playing, game situation and how the game is going. I dont see the players being confused by it either  

Never said Holtby was strength in depth signing. I said his signing would increase the squad quality..my strength in depth comment was about the overall strength in centre midfield

Downing has been good in the majority of games. 

Its about playing a way where everyone knows their role, and generating the consistency with a familiar formation. Sheffield United are the perfect example, played it week in week out and now theyve mastered it and everyone knows their job. No regular positional and formation changes.

I have my doubts over 3 at tbe back for a few reasons:

- Not convinced that Williams and in particular Lenihan are good enough on the ball, notice how Walton often waved them away preferring to hoof it to a small striker rather than pass to them.

- There is no strength in depth at centre back, one injury and we have to change system. Nyambe isnt a centre back and the kids arent anywhere near ready.

- I dont think it suits our attacking players, certainly not in its current guise. On Saturday bar a wonder goal we offered nothing going forward first half. 

44 minutes ago, JoeHarvey said:

And a goalscoring striker?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeHarvey said:

I'd say with almost 100% certainty that Smallwood is gone when his contract expires summer (not sooner).

Sounds obvious

I've heard his attitude is beginning to stink up the place (he "apparently" point black refused to play in the Lancs Cup match last week when the likes of Nyambe, Chapman and Graham etc played). 

He is on the contract of his life, has already refused to go out on loan and will be taking said wage for the next 9 months before he plateaus into lower L1 next season. No chance he gets a new deal at present... rightly so. His one year improved extension has simply been a disaster.

Next summer we will have Evans as our only "proven" cm who isn't either possibly too old (Johnson, Downing) too inexperienced (Buckley, Davenport, Rankin-Costello) or likely to be desired elsewhere (Travis). 

Holtby is a must sign if available, feasible. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its about playing a way where everyone knows their role, and generating the consistency with a familiar formation. Sheffield United are the perfect example, played it week in week out and now theyve mastered it and everyone knows their job. No regular positional and formation changes.

I have my doubts over 3 at tbe back for a few reasons:

- Not convinced that Williams and in particular Lenihan are good enough on the ball, notice how Walton often waved them away preferring to hoof it to a small striker rather than pass to them.

- There is no strength in depth at centre back, one injury and we have to change system. Nyambe isnt a centre back and the kids arent anywhere near ready.

- I dont think it suits our attacking players, certainly not in its current guise. On Saturday bar a wonder goal we offered nothing going forward first half. 

And a goalscoring striker?

Everyone does know the role in the team and how to play it. I disagree on a consistency of a formation as we have been adaptable and change formation in the game needs it

Yes Walton was right to waive them away and not take a risk in conceded a goal like Arsenal did against Watford. 

Nyambe can play centre back and as part of back 3. I thought the back 3 worked very well in a defensive sense. 

Give it a chance instead of judging after 1 game. That's one of biggest problem is you are very quick to criticise and unwilling to give it proper chance like a run of games. 

• Like 1

Definitely an exciting signing if we pull it off. The longer it takes I worry about others trying to hijack. I guess it was agreed back when training with us that we would take him on once his contract expired - gentleman's agreement.  

Might not have quite had the career he probably envisioned when he first burst onto the scene but you dont win Germany caps (albeit only 3) if you do not have something about you. 

Now, in my time supporting Rovers, I can only think of another two German players to represent the club. Any guesses on who they are?

Just now, JacknOry said:

Definitely an exciting signing if we pull it off. The longer it takes I worry about others trying to hijack. I guess it was agreed back when training with us that we would take him on once his contract expired - gentleman's agreement.  

Might not have quite had the career he probably envisioned when he first burst onto the scene but you dont win Germany caps (albeit only 3) if you do not have something about you. 

Now, in my time supporting Rovers, I can only think of another two German players to represent the club. Any guesses on who they are?

Sergio Peter, was a player who came through the ranks I think and made a couple of appearances. Never heard about him after, so not sure what happened to him. I am fairly sure, he was German.

Edited by lraC