BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Lewis Holtby

12 minutes ago, harryhealless1928 said:

Very worried about this one. Ive seen quite a bit of Lewis Holtby on BT t.v. over the past 3 seasons playing for Hamburg who got relegated from the Bundesliga I and then failed to get promotion back as many Bundesliga II games featuring Hamburg were on t.v. on Sundays. Not terrible by any means but massively underwhelming in a fairly poor team with huge crowds and even bigger expectations. Has scored 14 goals in 127 appearances for Hamburg(as player & on loan). I would say he is an upgraded version of Cory Evans with a better goal-threat.Think he could score 3/4 goals a season in the Championship. Bearing in mind the German leagues are more similar to English leagues than probably French,Spanish or Italian but significantly weaker(except goalies) I believe he would be a competent Championship player. If he is being brought in to replace Dack we have big,big problems and considering our lack of defensive options if any defender gets injured this looks total insanity. 

However, on a low enough wage(I doubt) could be useful.

Having watched plenty of highlights of his incredible array of passing ability; much like Tugay's imo. And seeing the esteem he was held with at Spurs and Hamburg. I don't doubt he is just what we need.

• Like 1

Just now, harryhealless1928 said:

When we are desparately short of semi-reasonable defensive options IF any of our first-choice defenders get injured this signing doesnt make sense. Unless of course Dack is on his way. Holtby is no replacement for Dack.

There'll be a complete change in the way we play anyway if Dack departs i think.

To quote Vilesinner"Having watched plenty of highlights of his incredible array of passing ability;much like Tugays imo." O.K. Ive seen quite a few Sunday Hamburg matches and dont agree. Maybe he just played badly?not so well in the games televised. Either way,how come no other teams are out there for his signature?

There were at least 2 competittors for Gallagher,as far as I am aware.

Wages?

Just now, philipl said:

I would imagine the agent and Lewis get a big smile on their faces for signing on but his week to week wages will be within the club pay structure.

Amazing the number of posters reading the Motorway sign and not the heading of the tweet by the way.

Could've been Donny Rovers I suppose ;)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, philipl said:

I would imagine the agent and Lewis get a big smile on their faces for signing on but his week to week wages will be within the club pay structure.

Amazing the number of posters reading the Motorway sign and not the heading of the tweet by the way.

Was an instagram story wasn’t it? What am I missing?

• Like 1

London Football web site rabbits on and on about Holtby making a surprise return to English football and his performances for Spurs and Fulham and Hamburg and Germany.

But guess what/who doesn't get named...

No prizes.

But pretty well confirms he is signing for us in my book!

3 different Spurs mates I’ve asked about him all reacted very positively. Energetic player, gives his all. I know he played along time ago, and only 1 season, but was a better reaction then I expected.

I assume this was the plan all along, and when we didn’t get Reid he had to change it, and use Buckley more then expected. Holtby I assume means we stay with the shape of 3 at back with Travis Johnson and Holtby in the middle.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Wood26 said:

3 different Spurs mates I’ve asked about him all reacted very positively. Energetic player, gives his all. I know he played along time ago, and only 1 season, but was a better reaction then I expected.

I assume this was the plan all along, and when we didn’t get Reid he had to change it, and use Buckley more then expected. Holtby I assume means we stay with the shape of 3 at back with Travis Johnson and Holtby in the middle.

Hang on.. Are you saying Mowbray has a plan? We've only used Buckley once haven't we? And you're suggesting 5-3-2? 

Just now, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Hang on.. Are you saying Mowbray has a plan? We've only used Buckley once haven't we? And you're suggesting 5-3-2? 

Yes, with all the CB fit. We know Tosin has to play games, Williams and Lenihan won’t be dropped. That’s Bennett and Cunningham Wing backs, Holtby BJ Travis, Dack behind Gallagher. That’s my thinking anyway.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vilesinner said:

Having watched plenty of highlights of his incredible array of passing ability; much like Tugay's imo. And seeing the esteem he was held with at Spurs and Hamburg. I don't doubt he is just what we need.

My first thoughts were of Berkovic. He looks to have that sneaky, well-weighted pass behind the defence. Perfect for the likes of Rothwell, Chapman and Armstrong to run onto (if we ever put faith in them).

• Like 1

Just now, Pedro said:

My first thoughts were of Berkovic. He looks to have that sneaky, well-weighted pass behind the defence. Perfect for the likes of Rothwell, Chapman and Armstrong to run onto (if we ever put faith in them).

Cracking little player was Berkovic.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, harryhealless1928 said:

Very worried about this one. Ive seen quite a bit of Lewis Holtby on BT t.v. over the past 3 seasons playing for Hamburg who got relegated from the Bundesliga I and then failed to get promotion back as many Bundesliga II games featuring Hamburg were on t.v. on Sundays. Not terrible by any means but massively underwhelming in a fairly poor team with huge crowds and even bigger expectations. Has scored 14 goals in 127 appearances for Hamburg(as player & on loan). I would say he is an upgraded version of Cory Evans with a better goal-threat.Think he could score 3/4 goals a season in the Championship. Bearing in mind the German leagues are more similar to English leagues than probably French,Spanish or Italian but significantly weaker(except goalies) I believe he would be a competent Championship player. If he is being brought in to replace Dack we have big,big problems and considering our lack of defensive options if any defender gets injured this looks total insanity. 

However, on a low enough wage(I doubt) could be useful.

Agree with a lot of your comments. I too follow German football and can't remember being blown away by Holtby much the last few seasons.

Not totally against it but it just seems odd timing and he won't be match fit either. When he is it gives the tinker man another option too when he really could do with settling on his first choice 11 by now.

• Like 1