BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Relegation Thread (15th edition)

Just now, Stuart said:

I’ll get the bunting up. 

I think Waggott would expect you too. "12th is a good position for our budget. part of the longer term plan.." etc.

On 30/01/2020 at 13:04, JoeH said:

I think Waggott would expect you too. "12th is a good position for our budget. part of the longer term plan.." etc.

12th is an awful position for our debt.

Another wasted season closer to oblivion.

4 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

We're 4 points off the playoffs with 17 games to go !

And the same number of points away from the bottom half such is the number of teams in close proximity.

We needed to strengthen this month and haven’t. We are weaker now that at the start of the month.

Just now, jim mk2 said:

And it's false optimism because we won't make it!!

It's the nature of football that more clubs are going to have disappointing seasons than succeed so to stick at it as a football supporter - and I know that you have for decades - requires a reasonable degree of optimism.

In the words of John Cleese "It's not the despair I can't stand, it's the hope" !

Just now, Stuart said:

And the same number of points away from the bottom half such is the number of teams in close proximity.

We needed to strengthen this month and haven’t. We are weaker now that at the start of the month.

So what about the bottom half - they don't relegate half the division. We have got players like Armstrong, Nyambe, Travis, Rankin - Costello all improving so no reason why we can't kick on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

So what about the bottom half - they don't relegate half the division. We have got players like Armstrong, Nyambe, Travis, Rankin - Costello all improving so no reason why we can't kick on.

Not being relegated isn’t actually the target.

There’s no kicking in this season, sadly.

Back to the drawing board in the Summer. No keeper and only one decent centre half.

9 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

No reason why shouldn't have "kicked on" last season either when we were going well.

Didn't happen then and won't happen now - especially with key players injured and no replacements.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Which makes the utter failure of the transfer window, literally a 0/10, so much more frustrating. Even with all our injuries we could have had a chance if we had a manager capable of attracting anyone. 

6 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

11 clubs have either 43 points or more. Sheffield Wednesday are 1 point behind us!

No other Championship Club failed to sign anybody!!!!

Grabbing at straws.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

The whole point in the play-off system is that at least half the division will be in or close to the play-off positions until near the end. That's what they are designed to do. At the end only 4 can get in. We haven't been in yet, haven't strengthened whilst rivals have. 

11 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

No other Championship club has a group of young players improving the way that ours are !!!!

Ha! Scraping the barrel there! Any excuse eh?

Why did we go looking for players then?

EVERY other club in the championship signed somebody!

Even the Top 2!!

Edited by 47er
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

No other Championship club has a group of young players improving the way that ours are !!!!

In fairness the only ones you want playing this season are JRC, Buckley, Davenport Lyons and possibly Mols.  Butterworth is out injured and the rest I don't believe are ready for Championship football at the moment, particularly if we are still involved in the play-off hunt.  When we drop out of the hunt for play-offs that would be the time to see if the likes of Thompson - who personally I'm not really convinced about - can cut it at this level.

Edited by Parsonblue
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Husky said:

It's that time when I can confidently predict that even if we were not to win another point we still wouldn't go down.

Agree. Especially given the bottom 2 don't look like picking up any points or making a decent run anytime soon. Perhaps this could encourage us to go for it a bit more as there's no real risk of relegation. 

8 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Agree. Especially given the bottom 2 don't look like picking up any points or making a decent run anytime soon. Perhaps this could encourage us to go for it a bit more as there's no real risk of relegation

More likely that we go through the motions and limp through the rest of the season picking up the odd win here and there.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The only thing that is certain is that we will make another five changes for the next game.

1 win in 14 is awful. Mark my words we will win 3-4 on the bounce soon and Mr Confident will be talking play offs for next season.

Possible de facto league position (at the 40 game mark):

If everyone below us was to win their games in hand 1-0 (except Rotherham who lose three but win against Birmingham) the table would look like this (I think)...

12 Huddersfield 40 (-9) 49

13 Preston 40 (-9) 48

14 Rovers 40 (+5) 46

15 Coventry 40 (-17) 45

16 Derby 40 (-21) 43

17 Rotherham 40 (-10) 41 

18 Birmingham 40 (-21) 41

19 Sheff Weds 40 (-18) 38

20 Wycombe 40 (-33) 33

We would be 5 points above relegation with six games remaining.

All eyes are on Rotherham continuing to lose more than us and Wycombe’s revival being short lived.

We have incredibly sleepwalked into a relegation battle. We should still just about have enough to stay up but it is no certainty, if Rotherham can win a couple of their games in hand and get a bit of momentum then you really do fear the worst as you wouldn't fancy us to get anything against sides like Rotherham who are fighting for their lives. Which leaves you wondering where our next point is coming from. We are certainly very fortunate that Sheffield Wednesday got a 6 point deduction otherwise we would be in even deeper trouble.

Honestly can't see us going down. Rotherham are looking weak and unlikely to win, and the chances of Wednesday and Rotherham all winning a few on the bounce is very unlikely. They need a 50% win ratio just to catch us up and that's not going to happen. 

Add in if we get a couple of draws, or fluke a win somewhere, and that means another win is needed on top of that. And whilst a win is questionable I can see a few draws Cardiff aren't in great form for example, Huddersfield will be a dead rubber match, plus we play some of the weakest teams in the division. 2 more points from that means that Wednesday and Rotherham need 4 wins each to overtake us and that isn't happening. 

Next season however looks terrifying if TM is still here.