Jump to content

BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Gareth Ainsworth


Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

And his Norwich side, and his Newcastle side!! 

Think Hughton comes into the Warnock sort of envelope. Decent manager at Championship level, not really up to it for the Premier League.

Would be an upgrade on Mowbray but would probably believe he could still get a bigger job at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Think Hughton comes into the Warnock sort of envelope. Decent manager at Championship level, not really up to it for the Premier League.

Would be an upgrade on Mowbray but would probably believe he could still get a bigger job at the moment.

Rev has the experience

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As for Ainsworth, his obvious enthusiasm for the Club is an asset but is no guarantee of success. Dyche had no affinities with Burnley before they made the decision to sign him, as far as I'm aware.

We're just desperate to get this club back on the up again, understandably so we clutch at straws. We need a trusted and proven manager or we need to pull one out of the hat. Venkys won't pay for the former and there is no-one at the club capable of picking the latter. So we go on, week after week, season after season. We really are cursed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

If we appointed Ainsworth and it was even 1% because of who he supports then it would be for the wrong reasons. He should be considered simply for work hes done as a manager. 

I don't agree with this, I think being a Rovers fan might make a real difference.

Many 'jobbing' managers who go from club to club may be happy to work in the void that Venky's have generated at our club. The Mowbray/Waggott/Venus trinity has ensconced itself into a position of power on long contracts. This benefits them and not the club. I am sure many potential future managers would fancy an easy life on a long contract with no pressure from the owners. A couple of trips to India now and again should keep them happy. Of all our recent managers, only Lambert was decent enough not to play that game.

I would hope that a Rovers fan as manager would insist on changes behind the scenes for the good of the club. Board members with the club at heart, a chief exec that understands football and the local community. Daily contact with the owners to ensure quick decisions. More contact with the fans. Run the club properly and not like a Sunday pub team where the manager is not accountable to anyone else.

I am sure things would not change immediately, but a true Rovers fan constantly prodding the owners to do the right thing may help. 

I am not sure if Ainsworth is the right man or not but I'd like to think his allegiance to the club and his local roots would be a big plus.

All hypothetical as Waggott will never sack Mowbray and risk his own job. We may even swap places with Wycombe at the end of the season before anything happens!!

 

 

Edited by Crimpshrine
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watched some of Tranmere v Wycombe yesterday while eating lunch (wife is away on business). 

Ainsworth has melded a team of little talent into League 1 leaders- certainly looks like a boss with quiet authority who knows exactly what he is doing.

Otherwise the game screamed at the gap in quality between League 1 and the Championship. Rose coloured glasses but I don't recall any Rovers games in League 1 where both sides were as lacking in talent as on display at Prenton Park.

"Highlight" was the clash between 16 stone 37 year old (check his Wiki entry) Wycombe centre forward Ade Akinfenwa and the Tranmere Rovers number 6 Monthe who must be the biggest unit playing in the football league- as broad as Akinfenwa but because he is 4 inches taller doesn't look as heavy.

As you would imagine, this was a battle of plodders. That said, in a game destined for 0-0, Akinfenwa scored Wycombe's first with a beautifully taken poacher's header and Monthe has a very decent eye for a pass.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I've never understood the clamour for Ainsworth. A pretty decent league 1 manager but nothing special. Just because he is associated with the club doesn't mean he is the right person to take over.

He’s got long hair and sings in a rock band, good enough for me. 
 

Oh and the obvious reason of course. ?

Edited by old darwen blue
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Backroom
On 18/11/2019 at 17:31, Claytons Left Boot said:

At the moment, having Tony as our leader is as good as it’s going to get. We’re an average Championship side that’s going to be stuck in mid table forever. Tony’s a nice guy who has sorted out some of our problems, forged a good relationship with our owners and got rid of a lot of deadwood. However, his track record as a manager isn’t too impressive and, for me, he possess  neither the nouse nor the credentials to take us to the next level.

Were we to get someone in with a bit more mettle, a bit more authority and the ability to win games by employing both the right tactics and the right players, you would hope that this type of manager would have sat down with the owners to discuss a plan. Yes, a plan. Maybe a short term plan or hopefully a longer term plan. That’s what a Souness type manager would demand. A plan on where we would want to be in two or three years time and a more importantly a budget for player purchases to help that plan unravel.

Ever since Venky’s rolled in to town (other than paying us a bit of false lip service and a few photos in the LT) they have been conspicuous by their absence. That’s nine fecking years of absence. Nine years of managers having to travel to India for discussions and coming back none the wiser. No strategy, no budget, no plan.

Big Sam grasped hold of the situation immediately and walked. Not that they didn’t have a plan. He didn’t get that far. He foresaw the car crash that we were about to become. We’ll never get anyone of Sam’s ability, or close to it, ever again. So, unless Venky’s change the way they operate (if it hasn’t happened in nine years, it never will), we are left with relatively unambitious, run of the mill managers who will gladly take their very nice monthly salary without asking too many questions.

Or...we take a chance on an up and coming, younger manager at a lower level. Someone with something to prove. Someone like Gareth Ainsworth. 

Bearing in mind Waggot falls into the same category as Mowbray, he’ll be unwilling to rock the boat and more than unwilling to have a poor decision (if it turns out that way) fall on his shoulders. So, that leaves us in a sea of mediocrity, with a bang average captain, riding the waves in permanent mid table until such time as our hand is forced ie. relegation or as near as.

We’re right back to November 2010, knowing that the club can’t and won’t progress until new owners are at the helm.

Good post but worth noting Allardyce was sacked, he didn't walk. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/dec/13/sam-allardyce-sacked-blackburn-rovers-manager'

Lambert is the only manager who has voluntarily left, although he obviously came into the job with severe reservations, hence the end of season break-clause. Seems to confirm how bad Venky's reputation was at the time, and I don't think it's changed much since then. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Good post but worth noting Allardyce was sacked, he didn't walk. 

I was led to believe it was more a mutual decision, rather than a dismissal, DE.

There was absolutely no way Big Sam was going to recruit from Kentaro’s pool of players. He saw the problems that that would create and had the necessary wherewithal and foresight to move on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Backroom
Just now, Claytons Left Boot said:

I was led to believe it was more a mutual decision, rather than a dismissal, DE.

There was absolutely no way Big Sam was going to recruit from Kentaro’s pool of players. He saw the problems that that would create and had the necessary wherewithal and foresight to move on.

I think Allardyce definitely put his foot down as far as being forced to sign Kentaro players, perhaps knowing he'd get the boot as a result, but he was still going to make sure he got a payoff. Can't blame him for that but the fact remains Lambert has been the only manager to walk away under Venky's tenure. Technically Kean falls into that category as well, however his court case (and subsequent £1.2m payout) amounted to him suggesting he was forced out (effectively sacked) rather than resigning of his own volition. 

There is also that interesting article from way back then in which Andy Cole says he was told Kean would replace Allardyce months before it actually happened... (the article is still online but I can't get it to show up - https://www.thenational.ae/steve-kean-can-do-job-at-blackburn-1.560386)

Nonetheless a direct quote from that article:

"a trusted little bird told me two months ago what was going to happen. He said that the club would be taken over by an Indian company and that Sam would be pushed aside, to be replaced by the coach Steve Kean. If Keano does well then he keeps the job. If I knew that, then Sam did and he is probably right to think that he is been stabbed in the back."

If Cole had heard that then you have to think that Allardyce must have gotten wind of it at some point as well, as Andy says...

 

Edited by DE.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, DE. said:

I think Allardyce definitely put his foot down as far as being forced to sign Kentaro players, perhaps knowing he'd get the boot as a result, but he was still going to make sure he got a payoff. Can't blame him for that but the fact remains Lambert has been the only manager to walk away under Venky's tenure. Technically Kean falls into that category as well, however his court case (and subsequent £1.2m payout) amounted to him suggesting he was forced out (effectively sacked) rather than resigning of his own volition. 

There is also that interesting article from way back then in which Andy Cole says he was told Kean would replace Allardyce months before it actually happened... (the article is still online but I can't get it to show up - https://www.thenational.ae/steve-kean-can-do-job-at-blackburn-1.560386)

Nonetheless a direct quote from that article:

"a trusted little bird told me two months ago what was going to happen. He said that the club would be taken over by an Indian company and that Sam would be pushed aside, to be replaced by the coach Steve Kean. If Keano does well then he keeps the job. If I knew that, then Sam did and he is probably right to think that he is been stabbed in the back."

If Cole had heard that then you have to think that Allardyce must have gotten wind of it at some point as well, as Andy says...

 

Cole was wrong about one thing. Kean got to keep his job regardless of how shite he was.

Edited by Amo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Top of League 1 with Wycombe, 8 points clear of the team in third. Got them punching well above their weight, maximising their potential and beyond.

Ticks a lot of boxes. Gets his tactics right, has consistency with his side and finds his best 11 avoiding unnecessary tinkering, does the basics well, keeps clean sheets, a proper game manager, brave, positive attitude, great character and a leader, commands respect, inspires his players, young and ambitious, knows Rovers, yada yada....

Will be managing in the championship soon one way or another.

If only Waggott & co had any ambition or a purposeful vision.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Don Said said:

Top of League 1 with Wycombe, 8 points clear of the team in third. Got them punching well above their weight, maximising their potential and beyond.

Ticks a lot of boxes. Gets his tactics right, has consistency with his side and finds his best 11 avoiding unnecessary tinkering, does the basics well, keeps clean sheets, a proper game manager, brave, positive attitude, great character and a leader, commands respect, inspires his players, young and ambitious, knows Rovers, yada yada....

Will be managing in the championship soon one way or another.

If only Waggott & co had any ambition or a purposeful vision.

And couldn't do any worse than TM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/11/2019 at 20:01, DE. said:

I think Allardyce definitely put his foot down as far as being forced to sign Kentaro players, perhaps knowing he'd get the boot as a result, but he was still going to make sure he got a payoff. Can't blame him for that but the fact remains Lambert has been the only manager to walk away under Venky's tenure. Technically Kean falls into that category as well, however his court case (and subsequent £1.2m payout) amounted to him suggesting he was forced out (effectively sacked) rather than resigning of his own volition. 

There is also that interesting article from way back then in which Andy Cole says he was told Kean would replace Allardyce months before it actually happened... (the article is still online but I can't get it to show up - https://www.thenational.ae/steve-kean-can-do-job-at-blackburn-1.560386)

Nonetheless a direct quote from that article:

"a trusted little bird told me two months ago what was going to happen. He said that the club would be taken over by an Indian company and that Sam would be pushed aside, to be replaced by the coach Steve Kean. If Keano does well then he keeps the job. If I knew that, then Sam did and he is probably right to think that he is been stabbed in the back."

If Cole had heard that then you have to think that Allardyce must have gotten wind of it at some point as well, as Andy says...

 

Who was the trusted little bird ???

That's what interests me ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.