BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Simon Garner 60 today

Just now, MCMC1875 said:

Well then you won't need YouTube clips to remind you of those days and the difference between the turgid stuff we are served up now.

Clips are my definition showing a small part of a game - just think - in 40 years time supporters will be looking at a two minute clip of today's exciting 3-2 win and complaining that the 2059 Rovers side is not producing entertainment of the same standard

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

In my view it is because the modern game is in many respects vastly superior to what was going on 30 to 40 years ago

i mean no disrespect but you`re quite wrong,id`e take any player from the 80`s over any players from the present,if you put glenn hoddle in a team today,he`d be absolutely unplayable,similarly if you put norman whiteside against steven gerrard i can guarantee gerrard would`nt get a kick,that is if stormin norman did`nt get sent off after 10 minutes!!!

Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

i mean no disrespect but you`re quite wrong,id`e take any player from the 80`s over any players from the present,if you put glenn hoddle in a team today,he`d be absolutely unplayable,similarly if you put norman whiteside against steven gerrard i can guarantee gerrard would`nt get a kick,that is if stormin norman did`nt get sent off after 10 minutes!!!

My comment was made by reference to the overall football experience so I was also taking in to account factors such as the improvements in stadia, crowd behaviour and pitches.

Regarding the players it's a different game now. Hoddle was a tremendous player to watch when he played but I don't think he would be unplayable now because the modern pressing style would leave him far less time on the ball. Can't agree with you re Gerrard who was a magnificent player

Clips are my definition showing a small part of a game - just think - in 40 years time supporters will be looking at a two minute clip of today's exciting 3-2 win and complaining that the 2059 Rovers side is not producing entertainment of the same standard

You’re being silly now.

That clip was from a time where we had a team of quality attacking players for this level and were consistently knocking on the door of the top flight.

I'll argue all day that the quality at this level is nowhere near what it was in the mid to late 80s. Take the 87-88 season and players playing their trade at that level. 

Teddy Sheringham, John Sheridan, Andy Ritchie, Stuart McCall, John Hendrie  Gary Pallister, Gary McAllister, Mike Newell, Tony Cascarino. Plus we had Barker, Garner, Archibald, Price and Hendry - I'm not sure I can name half a dozen players at this level now, better than those.

Edited by LDRover
  • Like 3

Just now, LDRover said:

I'll argue all day that the quality at this level is nowhere near what it was in the mid to late 80s. Take the 86-87 season and players playing their trade at that level. 

Teddy Sheringham, John Sheridan, Andy Ritchie, Stuart McCall, John Hendrie  Gary Pallister, Gary McAllister, Mike Newell, Tony Cascarino. Plus we had Barker, Garner, Archibald, Price and Hendry - I'm not sure I can name half a dozen players at this level now, better than those.

Yes but that is with the benefit of hindsight. The very good players that you refer to were in the early stages of their career so we really need to give it a bit of time to compare the players of the present division. We have already seen from last season's division the likes of Grealish,McGinn,Mount, James and a number of the Sheffield United players show that they are very good players.

Just now, MCMC1875 said:

FFS mashed potato this is a Simon Garner tribute thread.

Yes - good point !

I'll just add I loved watching Garner play - obviously he wasn't perhaps the most dedicated of players - I was at a match at Swindon when he got off the team coach complaining about the money he'd lost playing cards - but there was always a little bit of magic in the goals he scored and he deserves to be the club's leading goalscorer.

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

In my view it is because the modern game is in many respects vastly superior to what was going on 30 to 40 years ago

As a spectacle no it really isn't because flair players then we're allowed to do their stuff. 

So many systems employed now are used to nullify first. Mainly because of the money in the game, it's vital for a club like us to stay in the championship with its extra 5/6 million per year over the league 1.

Less and less teams in both the top 2 leagues set out to go for it. Everything is so tactical.

There was probably about 9k Rovers fans on that day. How many today without the free tickets handed out and complimentaries counted ?

Edited by tomphil

7 minutes ago, tomphil said:

As a spectacle no it really isn't because flair players then we're allowed to do their stuff. 

So many systems employed now are used to nullify first. Mainly because of the money in the game, it's vital for a club like us to stay in the championship with its extra 5/6 million per year over the league 1.

Less and less teams in both the top 2 leagues set out to go for it. Everything is so tactical.

There was probably about 9k Rovers fans on that day. How many today without the free tickets handed out and complimentaries counted ?

Official attendance today was 13,781. For the game in 1989 it was 8,415

• Like 1

Official attendance today was 13,781. For the game in 1989 it was 8,415

How many in the ground besides the free tickets and over 1300 visitors ? 

Paying home punters in other words, not much different I'd wager. You have a wonderful but obvious art of swerving people's  point.

What do our ST Sales stand at by the way ?

Do you report back to India by any chance ?

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

How many in the ground besides the free tickets and over 1300 visitors ? 

Paying home punters in other words, not much different I'd wager. You have a wonderful but obvious art of swerving people's  point.

What do our ST Sales stand at by the way ?

I provided the facts - I can't identify that you have provided any and until you do I can't swerve your point because you won't have made one

4 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

0fficial attendance today was 13,781. For the game in 1989 it was 8,415

I was there when the crowd was 8,000 plus. I wasn't there today, but from what I've read today, I had a far better day out. I doubt there were 9,000 bought tickets bums on seats (home) today.

Edited by Proudtobeblue&white
  • Like 2

I provided the facts - I can't identify that you have provided any and until you do I can't swerve your point because you won't have made one

Ladies and gents welcome to another head in the sand no 1 contender.

8000 home fans then, 8500 paying season ticket holders now. They are the facts.

Hardly the ringing endorsement of more fans flocking to football now than then really is it.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, tomphil said:

Ladies and gents welcome to another head in the sand no 1 contender.

8000 home fans then, 8500 paying season ticket holders now. They are the facts.

Hardly the ringing endorsement of more fans flocking to football now than then really is it.

Not sure why you restrict counting modern day fans just to season ticket holders. It is unarguable that more people go to football games now than 30 years ago - generally and at Ewood Park

Indeed they do.

However, forget the 80s, what should be more of a worry is that in this past decade crowds have risen rapidly at most clubs, whilst our lost decade has come at absolutely the wrong time and we are one of the few clubs to go in the wrong direction.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Indeed they do.

However, forget the 80s, what should be more of a worry is that in this past decade crowds have risen rapidly at most clubs, whilst our lost decade has come at absolutely the wrong time and we are one of the few clubs to go in the wrong direction.

Yes - good point. The only way realistically it is going to turn is to get back to the Premier League