Brentford (h) - the Mowbray love in!

What a great result for our Rovers and a very important victory as well about pur perfprmance well...it was a very closed match i knew the difference will be by only one goal in match Blackburn ran and tried all match long they press very well to southern dikheads and we did it very well now next step is to make that performance cpuld last the entire 90 minutes...
About Tony well he picked the correct players and teally jope we just saw finnally the regular 11 players even when i used to rather Johnson i have to say that Travis still improving and taking every chance as he has to shown his talent so i hope Saturdays match we can see something like this again...Come On You Rovers!!!
#COYBBR
#ImRoversTillIDie
#TheMexicanRover 

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Still some odd comments: TM on going with Nyambe (who came off with cramp): “We played him because I think Benrahma is one of the best players in the division, he’s a special talent. When you set

Rothwell really putting paid to the myth that he doesn't work hard without the ball, he's been superb tonight.

A nice warm ovation for Raya at the start of the second game which he appreciated. Had a decent game too.  

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Tom said:

Still some odd comments:

TM on going with Nyambe (who came off with cramp): “We played him because I think Benrahma is one of the best players in the division, he’s a special talent. When you set Nyambe a challenge to stop someone he’s pretty good at it. I’m delighted for him and for the team.” #Rovers

So Nyambe plays to stop one of the best players in the league, then why can’t he play every week?

Totally agree on his point in Nyambe nullifying Benrahma ably assisted by Evans who dropped in front to stop him receiving the ball.

However, your last point hits the nail on the head.

5 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Getting way ahead of myself but say we were still in the mix come January for a playoff, I think if we were to follow the villa  model of last year we would need to do some highly ambitious loan moves, they transformed their team with mings and Abraham. I reckon Dwight Gayle on loan could be our Abraham, don’t know where the mings defender would come from. Reckon we already have our grealish in dack and mcginn in travis. 
 nonsence post I know just spraying my mind. None of this will happen 

I agree with the first five words! Two/three weeks ago we're all looking down and counting up points, now we're all doing the same looking up. When will we all learn that we're a set in stone mid table side. We'll win four then lose four another half dozen times this season. In January we'll be looking back down again, March back up. Come May we'll be about 15th again and they'll repeat all the same mistakes of the last window next summer! The Blackburn Rovers cycle.

Enjoy it for what it is but let's not get carried away with a win at home to Brentford. Much improved team selection and performance levels. Will it be a watershed moment for Mowbray? Probably not. We've been here before. Too many false dawns. 

1 hour ago, Nelsonthedog said:

Can't see TM playing such an attacking line up(in terms of personnel) Vs Stoke in an away game. For me, that's a pity, as I think that's a major criticism of his management at Rovers.

There's no reason to alter the 11 at all.. Brentford had all the possession, so we played it like an away performance anyway.

We'll have to see.

I feel that there's justification in altering the line-up. Each game is different and Stoke are probably still the most physical side in this division. Danny Batth, Lee Gregory, Nick Powell - they've got a very direct approach. We need to be able to compete physically. Need to retain the Evans &Travis ball winning midfield for me though, and Downing (the 35 winger) is twice the left back Bell is. Tough one because last night is near our perfect XI, but Stoke an entirely different beast and it would be naive to try and go with the exact same tactic and expect it to work. But you never know.

Just now, Amo said:

Enjoy it for what it is but let's not get carried away with a win at home to Brentford. Much improved team selection and performance levels. Will it be a watershed moment for Mowbray? Probably not. We've been here before. Too many false dawns. 

I think it is a watershed moment. Will also beat Stoke. Like the Oldham game, it became a changing point. But sadly it didn’t last long!

It’s a funny old game. TM has a habit of pulling out a succession of victories just when he needs them. Three wins out of four now and three straight victories at home. 

Didn't see the game, unfortunately, but sounds like our best performance of the season so far. Our starting line up before the match looked well balanced, with players in their correct positions (aside from Downing, but I’d take him there over Bell) and that turned out to be the case on the pitch.

Breathing space from the bottom 3 and small hopes of a top 6 push reignited. Personally think we’ll finish in a similar position to last season, not a lot has changed. 

Just now, JoeH said:

I feel that there's justification in altering the line-up. Each game is different and Stoke are probably still the most physical side in this division. Danny Batth, Lee Gregory, Nick Powell - they've got a very direct approach. We need to be able to compete physically. Need to retain the Evans &Travis ball winning midfield for me though, and Downing (the 35 winger) is twice the left back Bell is. Tough one because last night is near our perfect XI, but Stoke an entirely different beast and it would be naive to try and go with the exact same tactic and expect it to work. But you never know.

I can see Bennett playing to be honest.. I can hear the groans at that one.

Fair play to Mowbray last night, sounds like he got the selection and formation spot on, he absolutely deserves credit for that. 

Anyone that's looking at the gap between where we are now and the play offs needs their head wobbling though. When was the last time you  thought TM got everything right? Personally I can't remember. Frankly I'd take him getting it right 50% of the time as I think we'd be a lot better off than we are now but that's another story. 

We've put runs together before under him, this could be our latest one and who knows we may even flirt with a play off place off the back of it, but I can absolutely guarantee we won't finish in the top 6 with TM as manager. He's been around too long doing the same old things and making the same old mistakes to change now. 

Cracking result though, well done the lads. 

Have to give credit to AA last night as well. He has received some criticism this season and for the most part, deservedly so. I thought he had a good game and was instrumental in the goal. First the tackle, then the run behind and cross field ball to Downing. 

Besides the goal, I thought he gave them problems throughout the game. Another night he would have bagged two goals if it were not for Raya. I also thought that he grafted defensively too and him and Nyambe worked well together down that right side for the most part. I do hope he is finally growing into this wing position because his pace can really trouble teams, simply by having that pace he prevents the oppo defence from pushing up too far. 

Him and Rothwell on the wings is probably the way to go when we are looking for fast counter attacks. 

Holtby is the one that is seemingly hard to fit in at the moment. obvious quality but doesnt offer the pace of either of those two on the wing and I have not been convinced with him in CM so far. 

Edited by JacknOry
Just now, JacknOry said:

Have to give credit to AA last night as well. He has received some criticism this season and for the most part, deservedly so. I thought he had a good game and was instrumental in the goal. First the tackle, then the run behind and cross field ball to Downing. 

Besides the goal, I thought he gave them problems throughout the game. Another night he would have bagged two goals if it were not for Raya. I also thought that he grafted defensively too and him and Nyambe worked well together down that right side for the most part. I do hope he is finally growing into this wing position because his pace can really trouble teams, simply by having that pace he prevents the oppo defence from pushing up too far. 

Him and Rothwell on the wings is probably the way to go when we are looking for fast counter attacks. 

Holtby is the one that is seemingly hard to fit in at the moment. obvious quality but doesnt offer the pace of either of those two on the wing and I have not been convinced with him in CM so far. 

We don't play with wingers.. rothwell and Armstrong are wide attackers..

4 minutes ago, Amo said:

Enjoy it for what it is but let's not get carried away with a win at home to Brentford. Much improved team selection and performance levels. Will it be a watershed moment for Mowbray? Probably not. We've been here before. Too many false dawns

Is that similar to a false 9 ?

Just now, JacknOry said:

Inverted wingers, inside forwards...whatever you want to call them.

Just clearing up confusion, as if folk are expecting Armstrong to play like a winger(like Ripley for example), no wonder they are disappointed.

Edited by Nelsonthedog
Just now, Nelsonthedog said:

Just clearing up confusion, as if folk are expecting Armstrong to play like a winger(like Ripley for example), no wonder they are disappointed.

I don't think many would be confused. They occupy the wide forward positions. Certainly not traditional wingers in the sense of sending crosses into the box onto the heads of two centre forwards but they are there to provide the width along with the overlapping full backs.  

I know it's early in the game but credit to Dack for being involved in the move in his own half, then having the instinct to get back up in support and take his goal well. That's the big hidden attribute of Dack - instinct. He wants to get the ball and score goals, and he has the instinct to find the right spaces. Look at the winner on Saturday. It wasn't a difficult chance, and he had two bites at it, but he peeled away into space and gambled that somehow the ball would come to the back post. That's what other players we have don't do and that's why he's so dangerous, not because he can nutmeg someone on the half way line.  

Downing is just a proper footballer. When people like Johnson and Whittingham have lost 20% of their ability with age, their ability was only ever top of the championship evel in their prime, so they now struggle. Not so with Downing, You can see why he played at the top level despite not having any standout attribute. After the debacle of the likes of Murphy, Fowler, Brown etc.., SD is restoring my faith in signing old pros at the tail end of their career.

Edited by Hasta
6 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I know it's early in the game but credit to Dack for being involved in the move in his own half, then having the instinct to get back up in support and take his goal well. That's the big hidden attribute of Dack - instinct. He wants to get the ball and score goals, and he has the instinct to find the right spaces. Look at the winner on Saturday. It wasn't a difficult chance, and he had two bites at it, but he peeled away intand space and gambled than somehow the ball would come to the back post. That's what other players we have don't do and that's why he's so dangerous, not because he can nutmeg someone on the half way line.  

Downing is just a proper footballer. When people like Johnson and Whittingham have lost 20% of their ability with age, their ability was only ever top of the championship ship level in their prime so they now struggle. Not so with Downing, You can see why he played at the top level despite not having any standout attribute. After the debacle of the likes of Murphy, Fowler, Brown etc.., SD is restoring my faith in signing old pros at the tail end of their career.

I dunno, he has a fantastic left peg, is a great crosser of the ball and is an intelligent footballer. He had a lot more pace about him when younger too and was more a flying winger (am I allowed to say that?). Certainly the best older signing we have made since probably Tugay and Salgado. 

Agree with the rest though. Peter Whittingham (now same age at 35) could not make an impact in a L1 promotion team at 33 years old. Is now still without a club since leaving us. Downing still doing it at a midtable Championship club.

Edited by JacknOry
50 minutes ago, JoeH said:

It makes no sense to keep altering the line up, we have to strive for consistency. We need to focus more on what we are good at. Obviously be mindful of specific opposition strengths and weaknesses but look at what we are good at. Try to develop a partnership between the 2 centre backs. Apparently Evans and Travis partnership has played together 11 times and we have from those games 25 points according to the Lancashire Telegraph, as you mentioned they have to play. Dack and Graham is the strikeforce that works, have partnerships right through the spine. Rothwell and Armstrong running at full backs. 

Just seen the goal- fabulous!

Will just repeat what I posted earlier. When I saw the team, my heart leapt because it looked like we were fielding the strongest team we could in the circumstances with players where they could be most effective.

Also underlines how many points have been dropped by the team sheet and tactics diagrams this season.

5 hours ago, philipl said:

Just seen the goal- fabulous!

Will just repeat what I posted earlier. When I saw the team, my heart leapt because it looked like we were fielding the strongest team we could in the circumstances with players where they could be most effective.

Also underlines how many points have been dropped by the team sheet and tactics diagrams this season.

Round pegs in round holes at last but its taken Mowbray 18 months to get there. Let's see if he has learned anything from the game or if he spins the tombola drum yet again.

Edited by MCMC1875

There is justification for slight changes now and again as Mowbray says that's why you have a squad and why you want some versatility. Here though it's been clear to a blind chap on a galloping horse the amount of swapping and changing game to game and even in game has been detrimental. Yes occasionally it works but not enough to justify it every game.

You need a good regular spine to the team to carry that off anyway and he's never created that again at this level yet.  You get no balance and no rhythm unless you set up like last night with players in their familiar roles.  

The big striker wide/wing idea whoever is deployed there needs putting away for good its never really worked and never will unless your going 3 up top. We looked so much better without it and all a lot of disgruntled fans will ask is pick the best Rovers team suited to Rovers and drill it into them.  Stop using the opposition as an excuse to keep rotating the squad to keep everyone happy and justify the size of it.

Prune it if need be and put the money into quality and youth starting at the back and not a load of indentikit mids and wide strikers.

Edited by tomphil