Brentford (h) - the Mowbray love in!

Just now, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

This reads like you believe he will stick with the round pegs in round holes approach? I'd wait to see the line up for the next game to be honest..

No I don't believe anything where Mowbray is concerned. Agree, let's wait and see.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Still some odd comments: TM on going with Nyambe (who came off with cramp): “We played him because I think Benrahma is one of the best players in the division, he’s a special talent. When you set

Rothwell really putting paid to the myth that he doesn't work hard without the ball, he's been superb tonight.

A nice warm ovation for Raya at the start of the second game which he appreciated. Had a decent game too.  

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I know it's early in the game but credit to Dack for being involved in the move in his own half, then having the instinct to get back up in support and take his goal well. That's the big hidden attribute of Dack - instinct. He wants to get the ball and score goals, and he has the instinct to find the right spaces. Look at the winner on Saturday. It wasn't a difficult chance, and he had two bites at it, but he peeled away into space and gambled that somehow the ball would come to the back post. That's what other players we have don't do and that's why he's so dangerous, not because he can nutmeg someone on the half way line.  

Downing is just a proper footballer. When people like Johnson and Whittingham have lost 20% of their ability with age, their ability was only ever top of the championship evel in their prime, so they now struggle. Not so with Downing, You can see why he played at the top level despite not having any standout attribute. After the debacle of the likes of Murphy, Fowler, Brown etc.., SD is restoring my faith in signing old pros at the tail end of their career.

What I noticed was the amount of times downing won possession by not touching the ball. The experience showed when he just allows a ball to run out for a throw.

The best we have played this season and with probably our best 11 on the pitch (although you could make an argument for Holtby over Armstrong). At last Mowbray decided to bite the bullet and pick his best right back over his favourite and Nyambe put in a very good performance against a very good player in Benrahma. Downing was his steady self at full back, a danger going forward and solid in defence although he wasn't over worked in that regard.

Evans back in the side and the work he did when Brentford were in possession was excellent but his use of the ball when he had was terrible. Rothwell fantastic, without a doubt the most exciting player at the club it really is criminal how under used he has been since he was signed. Also what a difference Graham makes to our team, still by a mile our best striker. 

Let's hope Mowbray goes with the same again on Saturday and that this could finally be the time where he realises his best 11. 

7 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Getting way ahead of myself but say we were still in the mix come January for a playoff, I think if we were to follow the villa  model of last year we would need to do some highly ambitious loan moves, they transformed their team with mings and Abraham. I reckon Dwight Gayle on loan could be our Abraham, don’t know where the mings defender would come from. Reckon we already have our grealish in dack and mcginn in travis. 
nonsence post I know just spraying my mind. None of this will happen 

There's only one small problem with following the 'Villa model' - we haven't got a Dean Smith.

He should be saying to Evans play like that every week and you'll start that's why you are in the side now. These hiding as a passenger days should be over or his career here is. 

Saying he feels he has to leave him out to get him angry so he'll put a shift in shows the mentality of that lad i'm afraid. He's had it far too easy a ride here in the past.

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

The best we have played this season and with probably our best 11 on the pitch (although you could make an argument for Holtby over Armstrong). At last Mowbray decided to bite the bullet and pick his best right back over his favourite and Nyambe put in a very good performance against a very good player in Benrahma. Downing was his steady self at full back, a danger going forward and solid in defence although he wasn't over worked in that regard.

Evans back in the side and the work he did when Brentford were in possession was excellent but his use of the ball when he had was terrible. Rothwell fantastic, without a doubt the most exciting player at the club it really is criminal how under used he has been since he was signed. Also what a difference Graham makes to our team, still by a mile our best striker. 

Let's hope Mowbray goes with the same again on Saturday and that this could finally be the time where he realises his best 11. 

It's simple really - if you were a left winger who would you rather play against -  Nyambe or Bennett ? For me it would be Bennett every time.

37 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Downing is still playing top class football at 35 and looks like he can carry on for s few more years yet. Says everything about hid quality as a player and his love of the game. 

That'll be because he's looked after himself over the years. He needs to be having a word with Dack about life style choices.

Just now, rigger said:

What I noticed was the amount of times downing won possession by not touching the ball. The experience showed when he just allows a ball to run out for a throw.

One minor incident summed him up last night. Late in the second half when we were under the cosh the ball was knocked wide about head height and a Brentford player behind him on the touchline. Most of our players would have headed it out and given possession to Brentford with a throw in. Downing went to head it, feigned and the ball went out for our throw. His experience shone through but that incident epitomised his game. We must have took a minute to retrieve the ball and get the ball back into play.

I'd be happy for him to become our first choice left back.

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

I dunno, he has a fantastic left peg, is a great crosser of the ball and is an intelligent footballer. He had a lot more pace about him when younger too and was more a flying winger (am I allowed to say that?). Certainly the best older signing we have made since probably Tugay and Salgado. 

That probably came across more derogatory about him than I intended. He was (and is) very, very good at a lot of things. However he didn't have a standout world class quality like a Duff or a Beckham, despite the fact he probably had a more all round game than players like that. He is a player you probably appreciate him more when you see him week in, week out rather than on a highlights reel. As you say, a very intelligent footballer and you can see how he came to have 35 caps when he was younger.

Just now, MCMC1875 said:

There's only one small problem with following the 'Villa model' - we haven't got a Dean Smith.

Well, that and we aren't paying half of our team 50k+ p/w. 

Edited by DE.

I know it's preaching to the choir but it can't be overstated enough that we need continuity and stability in the starting XI. Play your best players in their best positions, play to your strengths, it's not exactly rocket science.

Edited by Amo

As Bill Shankly used to say "That Dougie Dooins at full back is crap and so is their keeper, so we will have a field day with these lot, we are playing today". 

Let's stop worrying about who we are playing and go out and do the business. We have proven we can compete at this level, with the right players in their correct positions, so why complicate things?

58 minutes ago, arbitro said:

One minor incident summed him up last night. Late in the second half when we were under the cosh the ball was knocked wide about head height and a Brentford player behind him on the touchline. Most of our players would have headed it out and given possession to Brentford with a throw in. Downing went to head it, feigned and the ball went out for our throw. His experience shone through but that incident epitomised his game. We must have took a minute to retrieve the ball and get the ball back into play.

I'd be happy for him to become our first choice left back.

I don't know, I'll reserve judgement till he's up against a quality player. Hes a fantastic offensive weapon from left back, but need to see how he copes defensively with aerial diagonal balls into space around him, and against a pacy direct winger who turns him inside out. My suspicion is, like Bennett, he will really struggle. Full back is a very very different role to midfield.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

? Maybe, but the impression that I got is that Evans allowed Travis to act more freely around midfield, which is what I think Travis is best at. Whenever Travis has been playing in a deeper role, I'm not convinced that limiting him there is his strength. Evans plays that roll much better, and I think last night demonstrated that. 

Good point. Probably why the partnership with Holtby hasn't panned out.

Just now, OnePhilT said:
I don't want to wind up supporters any more than they already probably are, but to me, the above reads as though Bennett will be back in the starting XI on Saturday. The above says to me that Nyambe is the better right-back, but Bennett has to go into the starting XI somewhere - something that many have suspected on here for some time, but the above quote is directly from the horses mouth.

I actually think he'll keep the same back-line (injuries permitting) but it won't be long before Bennett's back in the fold.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Mogga is really confusing. Bennett is his preferred right-back, as evidenced by him being a regular in the starting XI. So, when we come up against one of the best wingers (or wide-forwards) in the division, we should... stick a better right-back on the pitch? How does that work out?

I don't want to wind up supporters any more than they already probably are, but to me, the above reads as though Bennett will be back in the starting XI on Saturday. The above says to me that Nyambe is the better right-back, but Bennett has to go into the starting XI somewhere - something that many have suspected on here for some time, but the above quote is directly from the horses mouth.

Without wanting to bash him after he got it right last night this is what we are up against with TM and it's terminal. He will forever try and justify his rotation policy with some kind of fear factor of the opposition.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

There will surely be changes alright. Hopefully not too off the wall, but I wouldn't bet on it! 

I would be happy if Armstrong is upfront for Graham and then Holtby fills in for Armstrong. 

One personnel change there has caused two problems. Graham is critical like last night because hes the only player we can have who can hold it up. Armstrong was far better wide right after a shocking display on Saturday where he was repeatedly offside. He is a poor striker.

There will surely be changes alright. Hopefully not too off the wall, but I wouldn't bet on it! 

I would be happy if Armstrong is upfront for Graham and then Holtby fills in for Armstrong. 

I don't think AA has the physiche to be the lone front man.. far better as a wide supporting forward.

It's all a bit too 'hit and hope' for me. 

Why can't TM accept the notion that appears to work very well in other clubs, that a consistent and stable line up breeds success. The constant tinkering on the basis of trying to out-think the opposition has only demonstrated one thing, and that is that TM isn't very good at it. If it ain't broke, Tony, don't FFS try to fix it!

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611d467f6f80ec0fb79fe

Just now, WIR Second Coming said:

It's all a bit too 'hit and hope' for me. 

Why can't TM accept the notion that appears to work very well in other clubs, that a consistent and stable line up breeds success. The constant tinkering on the basis of trying to out-think the opposition has only demonstrated one thing, and that is that TM isn't very good at it. If it ain't broke, Tony, don't FFS try to fix it!

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611d467f6f80ec0fb79fe

I'm pretty certain he won't play that line up away to Stoke.. I can't understand it, but I'm not a football manager.

Just now, OnePhilT said:

That's one of the last things I'd want! Arma simply can't play up front on his own, in my opinion. He's had a several opportunities there, and I've seen it work just twice: one time away at Carlisle in a League Cup match; one time away at a VERY lowly and out-of-confidence Hull in the league last season. Stoke aren't exactly firing on all cylinders, but I think the Arma lone-striker project surely has to be dead in the water. I don't know on what planet he could ever be seen as suitable for that role.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

One personnel change there has caused two problems. Graham is critical like last night because hes the only player we can have who can hold it up. Armstrong was far better wide right after a shocking display on Saturday where he was repeatedly offside. He is a poor striker.

Just now, Nelsonthedog said:

I don't think AA has the physiche to be the lone front man.. far better as a wide supporting forward.

I don't want Graham dropped, but if he is I would prefer a minor tweak to last night as opposed to something wholesale. I agree about Armstrong, I have huge reservations too, but at least he has a bit of pace. I just hope it's not Gallagher on the wing....

I don't want Graham dropped, but if he is I would prefer a minor tweak to last night as opposed to something wholesale. I agree about Armstrong, I have huge reservations too, but at least he has a bit of pace. I just hope it's not Gallagher on the wing....

SG is a big physical unit.. Stoke are a big physical team.. hmm, you could be upset..!