BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Burnley Under 23's

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers won 2 1. 

Rovers lost their way when Brereton went off. 

Butterworth and Vale hardly a kick when on. 

Like Whitehall. Looks a decent player for future. 

Lovely jubbly.

Did you manage to get to the game? Decent turnout / match?

Just now, Nelsonthedog said:

Is that to suggest brereton played well?

No he was awful - Rovers poor overall. Burnley creates a bit more 2nd half and missed a couple of good chances .

notjing on either side that looks ready for first team level on today’s evidence 

I would say if we are talking about players who looked like they were match fit, capable of playing in the first team. Only Davenport and Samuel.

Brereton is fit but doesn't look confident to me. First half should have shot first time but controlled it and the chance was gone. No instinct for me. Worked but not much else really.

Chapman ran a bit but didn't do anything really to suggest he's ready for the Championship.

Fisher did well I thought.

Gladwin is a big lad. Ambled about midfield but I think hes a million miles away and just working on getting some fitness. Unfair to pass comment really.

Burnley had 81 fans I heard.

Rovers about 500 ?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Nelsonthedog said:

I really hope much of breretons transfer fee involved first team game time for Rovers..

They paid most of it upfront i think that's already been confirmed.

Someone has played a blinder here in the old advising stakes again.

16 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

I would say if we are talking about players who looked like they were match fit, capable of playing in the first team. Only Davenport and Samuel.

Brereton is fit but doesn't look confident to me. First half should have shot first time but controlled it and the chance was gone. No instinct for me. Worked but not much else really.

Chapman ran a bit but didn't do anything really to suggest he's ready for the Championship.

Fisher did well I thought.

Gladwin is a big lad. Ambled about midfield but I think hes a million miles away and just working on getting some fitness. Unfair to pass comment really.

Rovers about 500 ?

In future tales from the cript on the dark side those figures will be somewhat altered. 

'We had 800 there on a Friday dinner time, B'stds had 50 in their own ground'...

• Like 5

Another indifferent performance from the Under-23's.  Davenport and Samuel the pick of the side with Samuel scoring a screamer.  Once again Brereton and Chapman look a long way off the first team and I thought Carter and Whitehall had very poor games by their usual standards.  Playing Mols at right-back was strange and not particularly successful in my opinion.

I thought Davenport was excellent in midfield apart from one error, which in truth Burnley ought to have equalised from.  However, he was all over the pitch winning tackles and covering for the two centre-backs.

Gladwin is a long way from match fitness but the 45 minutes will have done him a power of good in terms of trying to get his career going again.  For his sake I hope he can get back to fitness and continue his career somewhere.   Nothing worse than a professional athlete being forced to retire early through injury.

It was a long way from convincing, against a young Burnley side. but a win is a win and sitting top of the group with nine points at the halfway stage is not a bad place to be!  Although two of the three remaining games are away it would take a massive upset not to finish in the top two and progress to the knock-out stage.

• Like 6

• Moderation Lead

I’d just like to add my own thanks to everyone on here that contributed updates from the match today. I couldn’t be there because of work, so it’s always nice to here us beat that lot and how we played in doing so.

Thanks lads/lasses!

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Rovers won 2 1. 

Rovers lost their way when Brereton went off. 

Butterworth and Vale hardly a kick when on. 

Like Whitehall. Looks a decent player for future. 

What do we know about Whitehall ? Rochdale had a really good striker called Steve Whitehall  about 20 odd years ago, I wonder if this lad is related,it's not a common name.  Thanks for the feedback regarding the game.

3 hours ago, Nelsonthedog said:

Is that to suggest brereton played well?

He gave a focal point for me. Similar to Graham in the 1st team. He needs gametime

Davenport was good. 

3 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Thanks for the updates Chaddy - much appreciated

Thanks

3 hours ago, Stuart said:

Lovely jubbly.

Did you manage to get to the game? Decent turnout / match?

Yes I did go. Really enjoyed it. Good to.watch them. 

3 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Rovers about 500 ?

Rovers about 500 to 600..

Burnley no more than 50 imo

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What do we know about Whitehall ? Rochdale had a really good striker called Steve Whitehall  about 20 odd years ago, I wonder if this lad is related,it's not a common name.  Thanks for the feedback regarding the game.

Thats a question @Parsonblue

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

He gave a focal point for me. Similar to Graham in the 1st team. He needs gametime

He was a focal point because he played down the middle but I’m struggling to define his contribution . Poor in the air and didn’t win a challenge in the air, isn’t quick and doesn’t go past anybody. He had a couple of opportunities and didn’t manage to get his shot away. Our 2nd goal came from him losing control in a good position and it fortunately ending up at the feet of Davenport .Apart from that....

tbh his impact and performance were very similar to what we have seen at first team level ; exactly the same traits.The only thing I would say in his defence is that the service wasn’t wonderful .

Edited by TBTF

Just now, TBTF said:

He was a focal point because he played down the middle but I’m struggling to define his contribution . Poor in the air and didn’t win a challenge in the air, isn’t quick and doesn’t go past anybody. He had a couple of opportunities and didn’t manage to get his shot away. Our 2nd goal came from him losing control in a good position and it fortunately ending up at the feet of Davenport .Apart from that....

tbh his impact and performance were very similar to what we have seen at first team level ; exactly the same traits.The only thing I would say in his defence is that the service wasn’t wonderful .

I felt when he went off we lost our way. No idea why Butterworth played up front when he came on. Vale played wide right when he came on which I thought was strange. 

Also.suggest Smallwood didnt get a run out

Just now, TBTF said:

What I can't understand is how a lad well over 6 ft tall is so easily dominated in the air. If you put him and Gallagher together you wouldn't have a good header of the ball and they're both really tall lads.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What I can't understand is how a lad well over 6 ft tall is so easily dominated in the air. If you put him and Gallagher together you wouldn't have a good header of the ball and they're both really tall lads.

Different type of players these days. 

Im disappointed with Strength of each player to be honest. Weak area

I felt when he went off we lost our way. No idea why Butterworth played up front when he came on. Vale played wide right when he came on which I thought was strange. 

We only lost our way because of the subs. Not because BB went off.

He is mobile but weak. Looks like no instinct but maybe that is confidence.

If they were still playing now he wouldn't have scored.

The subs were even lower down the pecking order.

Agree - 2nd half poor and Butterworth and Vale struggled . Vale looked very weak and easily brushed aside but we had lost our momentum completely by the time Vale came on .

good point about Smallwood , Chaddy. Forgotten man or what???

Neither should play in the reserves ahead of the younger lads but if either should be given the chance to keep ticking over out of loyalty, or kept somewhat fit in case of a major injury crisis, youd think Smallwood would deserve that as a key player in our promotion, rather than someone who has done absolutely nothing to warrant the token gesture of not only game time in the reserves but more importantly in his case, a contract.