BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stewart Downing

IMO, Downing had no other offers so rocks up at Ewood to gross a few hundred thousand pounds - nice work for some!

I would have told him to do one.

We want players who only genuinely want to play for Rovers and not because, IMO, no other fecker wants them.

IMO, another crass move - smacks of desperation from an increasingly desperate manager.

Also, would think he has to be at least a month away from any sort of match fitness

• Like 2

Thought he was excellent until lockdown, but looked well off the pace after the resumption.

Not a massive surprise as legs can go seemingly overnight at his age, so that would be my worry, but needs must, I suppose.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Swanson said:

Will he even be among the 18 when everyone is fit? Can't see where he is going to play..

I would say so yeah. Hes a better left back than Bell so he leapfrogs him. Hes a better midfielder than Buckley, Davenport, Evans, I would say Rothwell, im not convinced that even Holtby is more effective than him.

Obviously the key is that a fully fit squad is a luxury that teams cannot expect this season. Making the timing of this deal baffling considering our recent run of form with inferior midfielders playing.

I've no strong view either way on this. I'm certainly not opposed to bringing Downing back as I think he did well for us last year and the stats show that. Vast experience and versatility could be useful.

In terms of him not being fit I very much doubt he's spent the last 4 months out on the sunbed drinking cocktails. I would hope he's looked after himself and maintained a good degree of fitness.

The timing is strange. If this was a deal Mowbray really wanted to do it should have been done way back at the beginning. Even 3 weeks ago the media were saying it was happening so I cannot fathom what has taken so long. Unless it is another case of waiting for the Indians to approve it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

IMO, Downing had no other offers so rocks up at Ewood to gross a few hundred thousand pounds - nice work for some!

I would have told him to do one.

We want players who only genuinely want to play for Rovers and not because, IMO, no other fecker wants them.

IMO, another crass move - smacks of desperation from an increasingly desperate manager.

Also, would think he has to be at least a month away from any sort of match fitness

Where has the assumption come from that the player has been waiting all this time for a better offer?

Mowbray said that he wasnt a priority and a deal he might return to if there was remaining money. To make this out to be a greedy player settling for what he can get is totally unfair and unprovoked.

• Like 2

I'd normally be in agreement with the negative viewpoint regarding Downing. However, this season is different for a host of reasons and Downing did a pretty decent job last term. In fact, he'd have been amongst my top 3 for player of last season. I understand the view of he should have been told to do one because of his alleged demands but circumstances change. Ours certainly has as a consequence of our injury situation, particularly down the left and in central midfield.

I feel it's a sensible signing considering the above.

On another point, I wished we'd signed Morsy from Wigan. He's always impressed me begrudgingly when in opposition, one to be hated if against but loved if he were to line up for your team.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Where has the assumption come from that the player has been waiting all this time for a better offer?

Mowbray said that he wasnt a priority and a deal he might return to if there was remaining money. To make this out to be a greedy player settling for what he can get is totally unfair and unprovoked.

If he wanted to play so badly for Rovers then why didn't he accept our offer many weeks ago?

IMO, he was holding out for a better offer but nothing turned up!

14 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

On another point, I wished we'd signed Morsy from Wigan. He's always impressed me begrudgingly when in opposition, one to be hated if against but loved if he were to line up for your team.  

Exactly what we needed!

• Like 2

Morsy is a scumbag the sort we need pissing out of our tent.

what is a Mowbray player ? Soft touches for the most who are quite comfortable with things ticking over in this league , most likely scared of promotion as they would have to be out of a job .

still as long as they go on insta and say the tedious parlance ‘we go again ‘

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

And that's why we won't achieve anything as we miss exactly that type of player.

For me we don't need that type of player. 

1 minute ago, darrenrover said:

That says it all chaddy really. It's not about Mowbray, it's about what's best for BRFC.

Yes and that's why Mowbray has implemented this 4-3-3 formation as he thinks the best way for Rovers to progress and to get top 6 and promote

19 minutes ago, Mercer said:

If he wanted to play so badly for Rovers then why didn't he accept our offer many weeks ago?

IMO, he was holding out for a better offer but nothing turned up!

Doesn't every player look for the best deal they can get?

Or should we assume it's always been Downing's dream to play for Rovers)