BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stewart Downing

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/blackburn-rovers-downing-mowbray-contract-19208314

"I work off my magnets on the board and Stewart Downing's magnet was never thrown in the bin, it was always sitting there in the bottom corner and I was hoping he would come back so I could put him on my board"

Magnets + Lemon Drizzle = One happy Smoggy. 

Well at last we get to the bottom of it.   Frank Magnet and Tony Steel.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JoeH said:

There's no evidence that he's lost his legs or that Downing didn't want to come here as a first choice. It's complete guesswork and that's all I'm saying, nothing more, nothing less.

He looked past it the second half of last season. He was decent was for the first half of the season but his performances as the season went on deteriorated. If Downing really wanted to be here then he would have signed the contract when it was initially offered not 3 months and a half months later when it was clear he wasn't going to get a better offer.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

He looked past it the second half of last season. He was decent was for the first half of the season but his performances as the season went on deteriorated. If Downing really wanted to be here then he would have signed the contract when it was initially offered not 3 months and a half months later when it was clear he wasn't going to get a better offer.

Yeah, and now it will be 6 weeks before he's match fit....so, 5 month football but 8 months money.....

All aboard the gravy train...?

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Claiming something completely unknown, such as somebodies intentions or backroom dealings we cannot know 100% for sure, but adding IMO at the end is worth calling out in my opinion, and not what the point of the board is... IMO ;) 

I’ve no idea on that score and neither has anyone else re intentions, financial motivations etc.

However, on the field I personally felt time was catching up with him before he left, that’s football, it can very quickly move on from you, IMO, of course.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mercer said:

Those that do are, IMO, nothing more than mercenaries.

A labourer is worthy of his hire and I think it's fair to assume there were no takers for Downing based upon a likely inflated value of his own worth.

So, we get a player who is weeks behind in terms of fitness and match fitness and who, IMO, only wants to come because he's no other options.

I also think time caught up with Downing in the latter part of last season and, IMO, his legs have gone.

Think this will prove to be a signing we regret.

I’m on the fence right now about Downing. I think he’s a consummate professional who will have looked after himself and, if used correctly, will be an asset. His experience is invaluable. He is the kind of player who will go on to be a manager IMHO.

On the flip side, Mowbray has a habit of keeping players a season too long after which point they lose their value or their legs.

The next question is where does he play? Presumably the left side of a midfield 3 with the full back overlapping. Knowing Mowbray though he will be the full back and will be found out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, darrenrover said:

How do you think that Morsy would not fit into a 433 formation and why, in your stated opinion, is Morsy not Mowbray's type of player? (Morsy was where this discussion started)

IMO, 433 is garbage the way Mowbray plays it, it's why there's little or no protection in front of the back 2. On the odd occasions we win a defensive header, it lands just outside the 'D' and the oncoming opposition midfielder has half an hour to pick his spot. How many times have we seen that?

Mowbray will undoubtedly see what he missed tomorrow night!

Mowbray wants a deep midfielder playmaker for the role not a hard tackling midfielder. 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray wants a deep midfielder playmaker for the role not a hard tackling midfielder. 

And it's for reasons like that why we won't get near the top 6. We have no bite in the centre of our midfield and having a player who could break up play would give more protection to a weak defence that is too often left exposed.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

And it's for reasons like that why we won't get near the top 6. We have no bite in the centre of our midfield and having a player who could break up play would give more protection to a weak defence that is too often left exposed.

We have Travis who is twice the player Morsy is and hopefully he will be back so add his quality to this squad

Can't wait for a midfield 3 of Downing, Trybull and Evans "dictating" play at home to QPR on Saturday, with Holtby on the bench and Rothwell (presumably) still lying on the sofa.

Every few months I forget that I've been calling for Mowbray Out for about 2 years... doesn't take long to re-emerge.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Maybe we feckin should have done eh? I'm sick of watching Evans in that position nicking a wage.  But if you're content that's fine.?

I’m not content but I don’t give players abuse who don’t deserve it like you do, Williams and Downing for example. I wouldn’t have Evans anywhere near my starting eleven and when everyone’s fit he won’t be starting games. 

7 minutes ago, Butty said:

I’m not content but I don’t give players abuse who don’t deserve it like you do, Williams and Downing for example. I wouldn’t have Evans anywhere near my starting eleven and when everyone’s fit he won’t be starting games. 

You won't find me slagging downing off.  If you call saying he's not good enough for my team abuse, fair enough

Del on the other hand....so what? Thats my view, should be nowhere near my club 

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I’ve no idea on that score and neither has anyone else re intentions, financial motivations etc.

However, on the field I personally felt time was catching up with him before he left, that’s football, it can very quickly move on from you, IMO, of course.

It can. Key word is CAN. There's nothing to say that it HAS however, hence my objections to the continuous statement being pushed that he's lost his legs. 

2 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

We don't have him though thats the point. Wafer thin and should have bought another CM

Come on. We have:

Dack
Holtby
Trybull
Evans
Johnson
Rothwell
Buckley
Travis
Davenport
Downing
JRC (when needed)
Elliott (if needed)

who can all play in those central roles, another central midfielder would be absolutely ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Come on. We have:

Dack
Holtby
Trybull
Evans
Johnson
Rothwell
Buckley
Travis
Davenport
Downing
JRC (when needed)
Elliott (if needed)

who can all play in those central roles, another central midfielder would be absolutely ridiculous.

Hardly wafer thin that list is it? 

If Whiteman was any good he still wouldnt be in league 1 again this season. Fact is. He is still Doncaster in league 1.