BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stewart Downing

12 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Proof?

What fraction?

I am not wasting my time.

But it was reported several times that Downing was offered much reduced terms for this season which was the reason why he walked away from us.

Of course he'd want another £750k a year but given he loves the game and is keeping himself fit, the difference between £250k and nothing when all he has is 30 years of nothing to look forward to (relatively speaking) meant the lower sum won out.

Edited by philipl

I'm not sure i'm having it he went from 33k per week at Boro to 14k at Ewood, sorry.

He'll have been on about 20 grand a week last season with bonuses and the like so he's probably on about 14k now. Something has made him want to keep going and it won't be playing for nothing.

His attitude looked mile's ahead of some when he came on too. He actuay looked like he gave a s**t. Saw him giving a few dressing downs to players around him around him and he went mad when nobody got the football that went out for our throw. I actually couldn't believe that. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

I want to see Downing start at the weekend. He added a lot more control in midfield. Anything to get us from playing it square across the backline constantly will be a bonus.

It could be down to coincidence and teams dropping off at the end of games, but if he can help us get another 30 yards up the pitch then I've much more hope for us going forward.

Downing, Holtby and Trybull at the weekend. All comfortable on the ball. Give Rothwell a rest.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

I want to see Downing start at the weekend. He added a lot more control in midfield. Anything to get us from playing it square across the backline constantly will be a bonus.

It could be down to coincidence and teams dropping off at the end of games, but if he can help us get another 30 yards up the pitch then I've much more hope for us going forward.

Downing, Holtby and Trybull at the weekend. All comfortable on the ball. Give Rothwell a rest.

Not the most athletic midfield though,but I would probably agree 

3 hours ago, philipl said:

I am not wasting my time.

But it was reported several times that Downing was offered much reduced terms for this season which was the reason why he walked away from us.

Of course he'd want another £750k a year but given he loves the game and is keeping himself fit, the difference between £250k and nothing when all he has is 30 years of nothing to look forward to (relatively speaking) meant the lower sum won out.

Bitchy

FFS just admit you don't know.

The info I posted may or may not be correct but a link never the less

Yours is pure guesswork posted as truth, which is fucking crap.

8 hours ago, tomphil said:

I'm not sure i'm having it he went from 33k per week at Boro to 14k at Ewood, sorry.

He'll have been on about 20 grand a week last season with bonuses and the like so he's probably on about 14k now. Something has made him want to keep going and it won't be playing for nothing.

Late 34 and out of contract at Boro who weren't renewing.

Many players in that position go from £33k per week to nothing.

If he is on about £5k a week now which I believe was the offer he rejected in the summer, it is a nice end of career bonus.

Putting things in context of how very few outfield players are still going at Downing's age- https://sportmob.com/en/article/872969-oldest-premier-league-players-in-2020

Edited by philipl

2 minutes ago, philipl said:

Late 34 and out of contract at Boro who weren't renewing.

Many players in that position go from £33k per week to nothing.

He was weighing up other offers home and abroad allegedly and i would not be in the least bit surprised if he got a very good short term deal here.

11 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

It is mad how everybody believes the high wage "guesses" but as soon as phillipl takes a stab at a lower wage proof is demanded.

Theories about him being on circa 15k a week go unchallenged; theories about him being on circa 5k a week demand a scanned in PAYE slip and a bibliography of sources. Nonsense talk.

Plus I think the value he brings just been around training and that is completely discarded.  He has been instrumental in the goals against Millwall and last night,so that alone is worth something. What value would someone put on a win? Obviously not solely responsible, but instrumental in the goals 

The fact the deal took so long, suggests to me that it's nothing anyone should be getting worked up about in the grand scheme of things in relation to the club. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

I haven't seen his payslip and i don't read the bible but it was said up there he'd signed a million pound one year deal.

So roughly 20 grand a week maybe or maybe not including bonuses.  No idea about now but i'd bet it's more near ten grand than five all in. He did enough last season to be offered something respectable this time.

Personally i would have put that money elsewhere but he's here now so best of luck to him. Also it says as much about us as well as him that he still looks head and shoulders better than most of what we have.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, tomphil said:

I haven't seen his payslip and i don't read the bible but it was said up there he'd signed a million pound one year deal.

So roughly 20 grand a week maybe or maybe not including bonuses.  No idea about now but i'd bet it's more near ten grand than five all in. He did enough last season to be offered something respectable this time.

Personally i would have put that money elsewhere but he's here now so best of luck to him. Also it says as much about us as well as him that he still looks head and shoulders better than most of what we have.

So you make up a big number then moan about it.

On 17/12/2020 at 16:27, Dreams of 1995 said:

It is mad how everybody believes the high wage "guesses" but as soon as phillipl takes a stab at a lower wage proof is demanded.

Theories about him being on circa 15k a week go unchallenged; theories about him being on circa 5k a week demand a scanned in PAYE slip and a bibliography of sources. Nonsense talk.

I'm pretty certain he was on 15k p.w. last season from what I've been told.

I doubt there's any way whatsoever he's only on £5k p.w this season, that's just a pure guesstimate Phil has plucked out of thin air.

Didn't think he was very good when he came on yesterday, merely contributed to us being slow, ponderous and predictable with our passing.

But what's another 500k or so a year when it's not your own money you're wasting and the owners are multi billionaires? (supposedly) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'm pretty certain he was on 15k p.w. last season from what I've been told.

I doubt there's any way whatsoever he's only on £5k p.w this season, that's just a pure guesstimate Phil has plucked out of thin air.

Didn't think he was very good when he came on yesterday, merely contributed to us being slow, ponderous and predictable with our passing.

But what's another 500k or so a year when it's not your own money you're wasting and the owners are multi billionaires? (supposedly) 

''merely contributed to us being fatter and slower and ponderous and predictable with our passing.

On 17/12/2020 at 23:27, Dreams of 1995 said:

Guesses?

Do you actually believe that Downing would bother getting out of bed for 5k pw?

Do you actually believe that Mowbray would insult a Boro boy to that extent?

• Like 1

Three pieces of evidence

1) LT report that he was offered a significantly lower contract

2) It was so low Downing was so confident he could beat it elsewhere that he was out of the game earning zero for four months. That only makes sense from Downing's viewpoint when the gap between offer and player's expectation is an annualised £250k at least because of what he wasn't being paid during that period. Did he expect another £750k year at his age? - probably not. Did he (or his agent) think he could command £500k?- probably.  

3) The offer to renew at the end of last season was made when Rovers were at their ceiling for FFP so it would have been low enough to keep within the limit. That low offer inevitably would be Rovers' anchoring starting point for when they started talking again and clinched the deal to secure Downing.