BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stewart Downing

11 hours ago, tomphil said:

The sentiment of a Downing/Travis being Tugay/Savage is a good one and would imo if it worked be something this team has lacked at times a proper engine room rather than just stoppers.

Downfall of it would be the tinkerman though who wouldn't leave it alone given the options he now has and the people he has to keep happy. I actually like Smallwood as a squad man he gets far too much stick he is what he is but can we be carrying so many centre mids ?

Agree with all of this. The worry is that Whittingham didn't work out but TM knows Downing so hopefully less of a risk. 

I think the answers to your questions/worries imo are yes he will tinker rendering it less effective and no we can't afford that many centre mids - although Evans would be the one to go in my book. Feel similar to you that Smallwood is a good reserve to have in the squad as a backup player. Evans on the other hand offers little 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Agree with all of this. The worry is that Whittingham didn't work out but TM knows Downing so hopefully less of a risk. 

I think the answers to your questions/worries imo are yes he will tinker rendering it less effective and no we can't afford that many centre mids - although Evans would be the one to go in my book. Feel similar to you that Smallwood is a good reserve to have in the squad as a backup player. Evans on the other hand offers little 

I'll be very angry if it's Travis he squeezes out but not in the least bit surprised I always get the impression Mowbray played him through gritted teeth. He also had the perfect grafting midfielder who could also play at bit in Reed and was terrified of playing him there regularly.

Another glaring example of signing a player not for a specific job but for a multitude of tasks so I don't see why this'll be any different other than maybe him being a pal guaranteeing him starts.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Smallwood is not a Championship player. Full stop. What is the pont of keeping him as a reserve if he is not good enough when called upon? We need reserves who can do a job when required.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Smallwood is not a Championship player. Full stop. What is the pont of keeping him as a reserve if he is not good enough when called upon? We need reserves who can do a job when required.

We need players who are better than what we have in order to improve then the ones handed the shirts weekly become the back ups and the present back ups get sold/loaned/let go.

Opposite happens at Ewood though we look for back ups to the back ups and in the long run it still all costs money !

• Like 4

• Backroom
6 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Have to agree. At the very least Smallwood is a lower level Championship player, and unless that's where we want to be he needs to be moved on. Nothing but respect for his attitude and commitment, he was a fantastic driving force in the first half of our L1 campaign, but we need better quality across the entire squad if we're serious about getting promoted.

• Like 2

• Backroom
39 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

If so then we aren't looking at a player who is destined for the odd cameo off the bench. 

13 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Disagree. Not saying he's great but I don't think he's the worst in the squad by a long way and can do a job. Certainly feel he can be effective and offer something both in games when we perhaps need a few more grafters and as someone to come on and shore things up. 

Think Smallwood has suffered for 2 reasons which hasn't shown him in the best light:

1 he has been played with players who don't compensate for his weakness. Tugay for all his brilliance wasn't great defensively but Savage/Reid covered for this. Not saying he is Tugs quality but the principle is the same. Put him with a cm who can pass and he looks decent/competent. 

2 he is squad player level but suffers a bit as TM had him as unstoppable for a long time. Not Smallwood's fault but it does turn fans etc. against him in frustration and give them a perhaps overly negative view due to that frustration. 

Anyhow I don't think it's the biggest issue/debate in the squad by a long shot. If we got better as a back up I wouldn't be too disappointed but I'd rather we got a better first 11 and spent our energy improving that rather than squad players. 

• Like 3

On 24/06/2019 at 12:14, Dreams of 1995 said:

A perfect example of a "possession recycler" was Robbie Savage. Rat away for the ball, give it to Tugay.

Although you are all right in what you say - he was just a good footballer and did his job well. No need for a fancy title or anything. Good days.

Savage was also technically a very good player. Better than most centre mids we've had. Absolutely miles ahead of Smallwood and Evans for example.

• Like 7

On 24/06/2019 at 11:03, tomphil said:

The sentiment of a Downing/Travis being Tugay/Savage is a good one and would imo if it worked be something this team has lacked at times a proper engine room rather than just stoppers.

Downfall of it would be the tinkerman though who wouldn't leave it alone given the options he now has and the people he has to keep happy. I actually like Smallwood as a squad man he gets far too much stick he is what he is but can we be carrying so many centre mids ?

Is there any suggestion Downing can play centre mid though? It's a totally different skillset to out wide or attacking mid. I can't think of too many wide players who successfully changed to centre mids. Giggs, but obviously he was a different level. After that I'm struggling. Pedersen gave it a go for us with poor results.

3 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Is there any suggestion Downing can play centre mid though? It's a totally different skillset to out wide or attacking mid. I can't think of too many wide players who successfully changed to centre mids. Giggs, but obviously he was a different level. After that I'm struggling. Pedersen gave it a go for us with poor results.

Well knowing Mowbray we'll find out I wouldn't be surprised if he either tries to build the side around him or just alters the system to shoehorn him in. Did similar with Whittingham at first before the penny dropped so i'm expecting something similar given what they are likely to be paying the guy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Savage was also technically a very good player. Better than most centre mids we've had. Absolutely miles ahead of Smallwood and Evans for example.

That's not much of a recommendation. Better than Smallwood and Evans ? Only Lowe and Williamson were worse in my time plus maybe Akpan.

I wasn't a big Savage fan - Who was it described watching him play as being like"  Watching an old dog chase an empty crisp packet around a car park on a windy day " ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's not much of a recommendation. Better than Smallwood and Evans ? Only Lowe and Williamson were worse in my time plus maybe Akpan.

I wasn't a big Savage fan - Who was it described watching him play as being like"  Watching an old dog chase an empty crisp packet around a car park on a windy day " ?

I'd have him first choice over any of the current lot!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He was decent at set pieces. Quite a good player in my eyes. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yes but savage set a tone within the team.  Something that we needed many times last season 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I suppose you've blanked Murphy, Etuhu and Goulon from your mind? Don't blame you. Many would say Andrews but I think he was a similar level to Evans and Smallwood personally, just playing a league higher. He was poor but not half as poor as a lot of fans made out.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Imagine these landing on DGs head... 

Holy shit, that's unreal! A one-off, sure, but five in a row? I actually struggle to believe that's humanly possible and not doctored footage.

It was in his Villa days, but he shouldn't have lost much if any of that accuracy. It's different when the ball is moving, or you have to put more pace, bend on it etc, but at the very least I'd expect some good corners. Maybe not straight in like Mulgrew, though with that accuracy he should be capable of it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Holy shit, that's unreal! A one-off, sure, but five in a row? I actually struggle to believe that's humanly possible and not doctored footage.

It was in his Villa days, but he shouldn't have lost much if any of that accuracy. It's different when the ball is moving, or you have to put more pace, bend on it etc, but at the very least I'd expect some good corners. Maybe not straight in like Mulgrew, though with that accuracy he should be capable of it.

100% not real. At a guess I'd say the bins are added there in post.

Sorry guys

Edited by S8 & Blue