BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan Athletic (H) - Monday Night Football (urgh..)

2 hours ago, rigger said:

Any team with ambition should just go out and win this game. I know there can be fluke results. But you have got to have a positive mindset.

Exactly and on this run for the first time under Mowbray apart from maybe the start of last season we've been going out taking it to the opposition. Stamping ourselves on games early and seemingly not the usual more terrified of their strengths than imposing ours.

That's the only way to go if you want to move forwards, we can genuinely beat anybody in this league. We won't always and there are others who are the same but we should always be going toe to toe looking to mix it up in football terms.

How many can make 6 changes, away from possibly the best 11 who've not lost in 4 or 5 and come away in the end with a comfortable 2-0 victory from another tough side ?

That belief was missing but it's back now so carry it on.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, sabino said:

It's not so much about the Brentford lineup or the Barnsley lineup or the Bristol Rovers(Edited to say City) lineup.

It's about how they come out and perform.

And that is what comes and goes a bit. We need the passion we have seen these past few games and we need it every week.

A good performance is essential with the passion but a strong line up would help

Keep the same formation and get at em. Don't think much needs to be said. I can see Rothwell being replaced for Downing on the wing and Bell keeping his place at LB. Other than that I think well see Evans, Dack, Graham, Armstrong back in. Nice problem for TM to have mind. 

A goal for Gallagher at the weekend would have really made it a tough choice.

on the Wigan side is Mulgrew ineligible? Im assuming so. 

Edited by benhben

I can see this being our biggest win of the season and how sweet it will be. Hate their manager, hate their grubby fans, they are a nothing club hanging on to the memory of 1 FA Cup success. 

If we get at them early I reckon it'll be a 3 or 4 nil victory. 

Would love it to be our result that puts the nail in that prick Cook's coffin. 

Come on Tony, be more ruthless than you've ever been and inspire the boys to a night to remember. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Did I mention I hate Wigan and specifically Cook? 

I always struggle to know how to feel about this fixture

On the one hand, they are a glorified non-league club who have only had any meaningful success in their history because of the investment of a wealthy Blackburn Rovers fan, and who are at the very least behind Burnley, Preston, Bolton, Blackpool, Accy, all of Burnley's youth & women's teams and probably Chorley as Lancashire rivals. I don't ever want to lower ourselves to see this as a big game. 

At the same time, I come from Wigan and there's no getting away from the fact that we've had a few results against them over the last 10 years or which have been downright embarrassing. That and their manager is an absolute weapon. Hope we absolutely pump them. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I always struggle to know how to feel about this fixture

On the one hand, they are a glorified non-league club who have only had any meaningful success in their history because of the investment of a wealthy Blackburn Rovers fan, and who are at the very least behind Burnley, Preston, Bolton, Blackpool, Accy, all of Burnley's youth & women's teams and probably Chorley as Lancashire rivals. I don't ever want to lower ourselves to see this as a big game. 

At the same time, I come from Wigan and there's no getting away from the fact that we've had a few results against them over the last 10 years or which have been downright embarrassing. That and their manager is an absolute weapon. Hope we absolutely pump them. 

Ya, we have been intwined with them in the dark days. They relegated us from the PL, well obviously other factors did that, but that result finalized it. Then there was League 1.

I wonder can Mulgrew play. Hopefully :D (I could regret that one)

The best comment I ever saw about Wigan was that they are "Accrington Stanley on steroids". No idea if it was someone on here who said it or I read it on twitter etc but it has stuck with me ever since ?

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Cook said nothing that wasn't true and Wigan came top, a feat which our manager promptly rubbished.

Anyway, Wigan has always been home to a good Rugby League team and Morsy still plays for them.

43 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Cook said nothing that wasn't true and Wigan came top, a feat which our manager promptly rubbished.

Anyway, Wigan has always been home to a good Rugby League team and Morsy still plays for them.

He's a nob and his comments were completely necessary.  Mowbary was 100% right to rubbish it. We have finished ahead of them every season since we both got back to the Championship. That's really all that matters. 

I don't watch Rugby league and I never said that he doesn't 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Neal said:

Trying to keep my mouth shut whilst this run is going. Foresee a score draw here but if we're actually serious about challenging then we need a win. Picking an 11 after Saturday is going to be tricky. 

Indeed and my fear is that it might lead Mowbray to muddle up the selection. I would go back to the team that won 4 on the bounce. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

He's a nob and his comments were completely necessary.  Mowbary was 100% right to rubbish it. We have finished ahead of them every season since we both got back to the Championship. That's really all that matters. 

I don't watch Rugby league and I never said that he doesn't 

Cobblers.

38 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont think you can ever make a valid case for essentially dismissing a potential league title. Maybe it would dilute the feeling not being there to see it, I dunno. There was nothing to lose pushing for a very rare league title 

We are a better team now and id much prefer our manager but that is irrelevant.

No, it's actually very relevant. Due to the reasons you point out

If we won League 1 and were now in Wigans position, i'm sure it would be long, long forgotten and certainly irrelevant. 

• Like 3

Honestly I kind of wish Charlie Mulgrew was eligeble to play. He is causing all the issues he caused here over at the DW. I try and keep up with Wigan and watch the highlight as nearly everyone at my office is a Latics fan, he's genuinely a big issue for them but they have nobody else.

27 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, it's actually very relevant. Due to the reasons you point out

If we won League 1 and were now in Wigans position, i'm sure it would be long, long forgotten and certainly irrelevant. 

It isnt because trying our best to win the league has had no bearing on the situation that has unfolded since. Its not either win the league and falter or dont win it but do better afterwards. Even though Mowbray has us on the right track now that was a mistake, dismissing the importance of a league title was not the right thing to do. I would have enjoyed being there and seeing us lift a league title, but Mowbray wasnt arsed.

35 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It isnt because trying our best to win the league has had no bearing on the situation that has unfolded since. Its not either win the league and falter or dont win it but do better afterwards. Even though Mowbray has us on the right track now that was a mistake, dismissing the importance of a league title was not the right thing to do. I would have enjoyed being there and seeing us lift a league title, but Mowbray wasnt arsed.

It's nit picking. If we won it and were struggling now you wouldn't give a fiddlers about it, nor would anyone else. That just shows how insignificant of a trophy it is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's nit picking. If we won it and were struggling now you wouldn't give a fiddlers about it, nor would anyone else. That just shows how insignificant of a trophy it is. 

Nit picking to not try and win a league title? We arent a club that wins league titles enough to dismiss the chance of winning them at any level. Where we are a year and a half in advance is pretty irrelevant to whether I wanted to win that title.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Nit picking to not try and win a league title? We arent a club that wins league titles enough to dismiss the chance of winning them at any level. Where we are a year and a half in advance is pretty irrelevant to whether I wanted to win that title.

Mate, you’re arguing about this in December 2019 whilst we stand a point off the top 6 and 2pts off third and they’re struggling week in week out to stay in the league. After we finished above them last season.

This is the very epitome of nit picking and tbh that’s being kind to you. Crap argument, just let it go ?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Mate, you’re arguing about this in December 2019 whilst we stand a point off the top 6 and 2pts off third and they’re struggling week in week out to stay in the league. After we finished above them last season.

This is the very epitome of nit picking and tbh that’s being kind to you. Crap argument, just let it go ?

It was not brought up by myself, but the argument still stands that we should have given it our best shot to win a league title. If it is nit picking to question surrendering a potential league title, when promotion was guaranteed regardless, then yes I am nit picking. 

I have never argued that it we are not a better team or have a better manager than them, all of which is irrelevant to an 18 month old debate about the importance of league titles which I feel my point is still valid on.

• Like 3