39 minutes ago, Gav said:

Rishi Sunak is excellent with the media, he’s on point and direct, you believe what he’s telling you, which is rare in today’s politics. 

He seems to be political astute beyond his years which poses the question, is it all of his own work? Or is he towing someone else’s  Party line?

He’s about to be tested like no chancellor before him. So far he’s been excellent, but With tougher times ahead, I hope he succeeds, because if he doesn’t, millions will suffer and nobody wants that’s. 

He has a background in finance so knows his numbers. 

The Party has a manifesto to deliver on. 

Yes he is going to be tested times ahead but he explained the OECD report and explained that it also says we will recovery. 

We need to protect people jobs, give people who are made redundant help and support through re training for an example, mortgages, apprenticeships for under 21's. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I would offer an insight into the School Meal Voucher scheme being used to provide vouchers to those parents and children that need it desperately.  The scheme is provided by Edenred a co

This sermon is brought to you by the Daily Mail. Victim-blaming repugnant nonsense. 

You need to completely change your perspective. Do you think they don’t realise how dangerous is?  They don’t have other options. Of course it’s dangerous but the alternative, for most, is l

Posted Images

All this Rishi love is going to end in tears.

For now, he is the Chancellor who ended austerity and handed out free money.

In the next twelve months he will be the Chancellor who

- presided over the greatest decline in British GDP in any year in history (now anticipated at 8%)

- had to stop dishing out the money while the recession continues

- enthusiastically no deal Brexits just to give the economic collapse another 8% drop

- probably will be at the helm when sterling tanks and talk starts of IMF bail out being needed

As Andrew Rawnsley points out, even the Tories are waking up to the double whammy of the worst Covid health and economic outcome in this corner of the world. Economic woes usually get pinned on Chancellors and with Johnson next door, you can be sure he won't hesitate to deflect the blame and damage onto his wannabe successor.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/14/even-tories-increasingly-fear-they-have-inflicted-the-worst-of-all-worlds-on-britain?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0yMDA2MTU%3D&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTUK_email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK

Edited by philipl
7 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Tougher sentences than rapists for daubing on statues? Conservative ideology gets more depraved.

Any comment on the 3-year anniversary of the Grenfell tragedy and the government's lamentable failure of the people who used to live in that death trap? 

The proposal of ten years for criminal damage to lumps of metal is completely disproportionate to far more serious crimes which invariably get far less of a sentence. Rape, paedophilia, manslaughter, drug dealing and many, many other crimes against people have/will get far less.

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

He has a background in finance so knows his numbers. 

Sunak worked for Goldman Sachs and hedge funds - the worst sort of predatory capitalism in which bosses enrich themselves and workers lose their jobs.

Try again

5 hours ago, philipl said:

All this Rishi love is going to end in tears.

For now, he is the Chancellor who ended austerity and handed out free money.

In the next twelve months he will be the Chancellor who

- presided over the greatest decline in British GDP in any year in history (now anticipated at 8%)

- had to stop dishing out the money while the recession continues

- enthusiastically no deal Brexits just to give the economic collapse another 8% drop

- probably will be at the helm when sterling tanks and talk starts of IMF bail out being needed

As Andrew Rawnsley points out, even the Tories are waking up to the double whammy of the worst Covid health and economic outcome in this corner of the world. Economic woes usually get pinned on Chancellors and with Johnson next door, you can be sure he won't hesitate to deflect the blame and damage onto his wannabe successor.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/14/even-tories-increasingly-fear-they-have-inflicted-the-worst-of-all-worlds-on-britain?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0yMDA2MTU%3D&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTUK_email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK

Will Hutton was equally damning yesterday. " Output statistics released on Friday spell out the mayhem. Aviation suffered a 92.8% fall; car output was down 90.3%; food and beverage services 88.5%; hotels down 86.9%.

Overall output in April fell by some 20% , having already fallen 10% in the first 3 months of the year. British output is projected to fall by 14% over 2020 according to the Bank of England. These are bewildering numbers. Last week the World Bank forecast that advanced economies output would fall by 7% in 2020. Britain's decline will be twice that. We are the recessionary world beaters.

The result is that over the next 12 months Britain risks an explosive rise in unemployment and social distress.  Even as matters stand, unemployment among non furloughed workers looks set to rise to some 3 million by the autumn. As the furloughing and emergency loans scheme are wound down with nothing so far planned to take their place, the combined impact will be devastating.

Around 1.6 million retail workers are furloughed; 1.4 million hotel, restaurant and pub workers. Expect their employers in these ultra distressed sectors to make at least half of their payroll redundant when furloughing ends. On top, another 5.7 million are furloughed- expect a third of them to be made redundant. Unemployment is thus nearly certain to exceed 6 million by early 2021. "

I'm not sure of his maths there but the message is clear. We are heading for unemployment rates none of us have seen before and as usual the Northern towns will be hit the hardest.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
2 hours ago, arbitro said:

The proposal of ten years for criminal damage to lumps of metal is completely disproportionate to far more serious crimes which invariably get far less of a sentence. Rape, paedophilia, manslaughter, drug dealing and many, many other crimes against people have/will get far less.

Property matters more than people - it's Tory philosophy. 

What kind of mind considers petty vandalism worse than rape?

Edited by jim mk2
11 hours ago, Gav said:

Rishi Sunak is excellent with the media, he’s on point and direct, you believe what he’s telling you, which is rare in today’s politics. 

Believe what a Tory is saying? Never.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Will Hutton was equally damning yesterday. " Output statistics released on Friday spell out the mayhem. Aviation suffered a 92.8% fall; car output was down 90.3%; food and beverage services 88.5%; hotels down 86.9%.

Overall output in April fell by some 20% , having already fallen 10% in the first 3 months of the year. British output is projected to fall by 14% over 2020 according to the Bank of England. These are bewildering numbers. Last week the World Bank forecast that advanced economies output would fall by 7% in 2020. Britain's decline will be twice that. We are the recessionary world beaters.

Where you really surprise that those figures not to that bad when we shut down the economy for weeks on end. Airlines not been used, no manufacturing happening in the Car Industry, Most restaurants, café and pubs closed. No one allow to book hotels or have holidays.  

The Service sector makes up 84% of workforce jobs in September 2019 and in 2018 the Service sector makes us 81% of the UK Economy. 

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Around 1.6 million retail workers are furloughed; 1.4 million hotel, restaurant and pub workers. Expect their employers in these ultra distressed sectors to make at least half of their payroll redundant when furloughing ends. On top, another 5.7 million are furloughed- expect a third of them to be made redundant. Unemployment is thus nearly certain to exceed 6 million by early 2021. "

I'm not sure of his maths there but the message is clear. We are heading for unemployment rates none of us have seen before and as usual the Northern towns will be hit the hardest.

over 9 million people on the furlough system right now. That's why unlocking the Hospitality and tourism sector is need in July so we can save many of those jobs and help us recover the economy. 

The governments need to invest in jobs, infrastructure and redevelopment projects, NHS and Apprenticeships for under 21's. 

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

and you keep posting that sort of reply each and every time 

So you understand how annoying that repetitiveness is, but keep doing it regardless?

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

and you keep posting that sort of reply each and every time 

Yes I do, because it remains true. You are saying what the government SHOULD do, as though they listen to you or to any ordinary person. They do what suits them and their rich friends best. They dont listen to anyone else unless it suits them to do so. They chose to decide that a narrow majority wanting Brexit was a good enough vote because they wanted Brexit. If they hadn't they wouldn't have gone with it. Theyd have said the margin was too small. They do what they choose a d people like you allow them to because you didnt like Corbyn. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Where you really surprise that those figures not to that bad when we shut down the economy for weeks on end. Airlines not been used, no manufacturing happening in the Car Industry, Most restaurants, café and pubs closed. No one allow to book hotels or have holidays.  

The Service sector makes up 84% of workforce jobs in September 2019 and in 2018 the Service sector makes us 81% of the UK Economy. 

over 9 million people on the furlough system right now. That's why unlocking the Hospitality and tourism sector is need in July so we can save many of those jobs and help us recover the economy. 

The governments need to invest in jobs, infrastructure and redevelopment projects, NHS and Apprenticeships for under 21's. 

What is being learnt and I don't understand this mechanism fully but there isn't an either/or

You cannot have Covid OR a good economy- there is no such trade-off available.

Britain has the WORST Covid hit and the WORST economic hit and you are ignoring this fact. And by worst, the statistics are getting so bad, it isn't even marginal- the UK is clearly the outlier on both dimensions.

You can have though NO Covid AND a slowly recovering economy

Britain still has Covid so re-opening isn't going to magic up a good economy.

It could be that the general public has a better sense of self-preservation than they are being given credit for. Sure go on, re-open hospitality in July but the hospitality providers will go bust even faster because they will have the costs of re-opening BUT NOBODY WILL FEEL CONFIDENT TO TURN UP in numbers big enough to make it economic.

Edited by philipl
On 10/06/2020 at 21:13, Bohinen 22 said:

FFS it’s a month since VE Day when everyone was watching his speech. This country is going down the f&@king pan. Why not look into all the slaves still being held in Libya rather than crying about something from 100s of years ago.

Rather interestingly Saudi Arabia are heavily involved in the modern day slave trade.

The Saudis part own The Independent,  . . .just let than sink in.

Edited by Husky
5 hours ago, gumboots said:

Yes I do, because it remains true. You are saying what the government SHOULD do, as though they listen to you or to any ordinary person. They do what suits them and their rich friends best. They dont listen to anyone else unless it suits them to do so. They chose to decide that a narrow majority wanting Brexit was a good enough vote because they wanted Brexit. If they hadn't they wouldn't have gone with it. Theyd have said the margin was too small. They do what they choose and people like you allow them to because you didnt like Corbyn. 

Yes cos their my ideas what we need to do but we have to protect people jobs and mortgages in the future. Plus they have protected over 9 million people jobs through the furlough scheme plus for small and medium sized businesses loans and grants. People wont forget this and what the Government did for them during the Coronavirus pandemic by protecting their job, wages and Mortgages.  Yes the next few years will be tough but the more people in work the better for themselves, the country and the economy going forward.  

Why would I like Corbyn or his policies? I had a Conservative voter and always will be. Would I ever vote for Labour? No I wouldn't. I am not a swing voter. But the UK has rejected Corbyn twice in the last 2 elections so what did the British people not want Corbyn or his policies. What did you like so much about Corbyn and his policies then?

The Government delivered on the NHS Funding Bill as they promised before the last election and will do on other manifesto pledges like more police on the streets, Australia style points based immigration system and investing in apprenticeships, infrastructures and children education. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Why would I like Corbyn or his policies? I had a Conservative voter and always will be. Would I ever vote for Labour? No I wouldn't. I am not a swing voter. But the UK has rejected Corbyn twice in the last 2 elections. 

Therein lies the problem with politics. It's not a football team. Everyone, I mean everyone should be open to having their views challenged and their opinions changed. Are you not? 

9 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Therein lies the problem with politics. It's not a football team. Everyone, I mean everyone should be open to having their views challenged and their opinions changed. Are you not? 

You have Labour supporters who will always vote in any election just like there is Conservative supporters who will always vote for them? 

Can I asked you respectful are you swing voter or slight Labour voter or other parties in the Political scenes

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You have Labour supporters who will always vote in any election just like there is Conservative supporters who will always vote for them? 

Can I asked you respectful are you swing voter or slight Labour voter or other parties in the Political scenes

I know, the problem is on both sides i wasnt just aiming that at you. 

I'm a floating voter, I've voted for both tory and labour in the past. I think you should vote for the people most likely to do a good job. Or least bad job in some cases. 

And to add, I'm somewhere round the centre with some right leaning views and some left leaning views. I feel myself edging slowly more left. Capitalism with a conscience is the ideal for me. 

Edited by RoverDom

I agree with your sentiments. However I feel myself edging to the Right. I think the media have gone too far with their largely uncritical liberal left wing views.