BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Politics

41 minutes ago, philipl said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/21/government-covid-contracts-britain-nhs-corporate-executives-test-and-trace

Sitting 2000km away, the anger with Johnson and his muppets aka HMG seems to be boiling over

I've just been reading that article in my dead tree version of " The Guardian " Phillip. I was going to post that bit about " Randox " getting £133 Million for supplying test kits that don't work when the government can't find Greater Manchester £5 million for the less well off in the area.

• Backroom

Absolutely fucking apoplectic with Sara Britcliffe MP tonight. Not only has she voted for children to go hungry in the school holidays (her constituency is one the most deprived in the UK), she can't be bothered to justify it herself.

Instead, she copy/pastes a limp-wristed excuse from Ben Bradley.

She's 24 and on £80k, how can she possibly represent a deprived constituency?

How the hell have we got 4 more years of this little twerp?

Edited by Mike E

• Moderation Lead
17 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Absolutely fucking apoplectic with Sara Britcliffe MP tonight. Not only has she voted for children to go hungry in the school holidays (her constituency is one the most deprived in the UK), she can't be bothered to justify it herself.

Instead, she copy/pastes a limo-wristed excuse from Ben Bradley.

Was just about to post this, you beat me to it. 
Luckily, all her constituents are the same. 

1 minute ago, 47er said:

Under first past the post we get a Tory government most of the time, a Labour government sometimes and any other government never.

That’s reality. The sort of left-wing Labour government I imagine you would like to see is not going to happen.

So if you are anti-Tory a Keir Starmer Labour government is the best you can get and logically you should get behind it.

it really is that simple.

If Keir Starmer's Labour Party won't vote against bills like the Overseas Operations Bill and the Covert Human Intelligence Sources Bill then it is not a party that represents my views and morals and is much closer to the politics of the Tory Party than it is to my own politics. 

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

If Keir Starmer's Labour Party won't vote against bills like the Overseas Operations Bill and the Covert Human Intelligence Sources Bill then it is not a party that represents my views and morals and is much closer to the politics of the Tory Party than it is to my own politics. 

As much as I can appreciate that view (believe me, I agree with you), I understand the stance of abstention in some cases.

Unsuccessfully voting against the Bill (almost certain with the majority they have) means it passes.

Abstention means it gets further chances to be adjusted and amended.

With that being said, I'd have thought the Lords would quite easily kick it back if it allows breaches of Human Rights.

7 hours ago, Mike E said:

Instead, she copy/pastes a limp-wristed excuse from Ben Bradley.

But a certain poster thinks she's doing a good job and can't do no wrong.

10 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Can I explain why you against the Overseas Operations Bill and the Covert Human Intelligence Sources bill?

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Can I explain why you against the Overseas Operations Bill and the Covert Human Intelligence Sources bill?

I dont know a huge amount about it and not paid attention to the story in great depth but I'm guessing you support it because the conservatives tabled it? 

11 hours ago, Mike E said:

Not only has she voted for children to go hungry in the school holidays

Isn't it the parents responsible to feed them? Yes some parents do need extra financial help and that's why we seen Increase in welfare payments have happened to help less well off families. Those payments will keep increasing aswell

But there is also issues that need tackling this problem like this one

1. Making mum and dad pay child maintenance after all they are parent to this child at the end of the day. So they need to take responsibility for the actions? Take two people to tango in the end. Do you agree? 

2. Also when school vouchers were provided to a number of parents were using them to buy alcohol or computer consoles with them during lockdown restrictions? Was that for children or themselves? I've been told of this from several different sources. Surely this is wrong and should be stop? 

3. Also given parents better training with cooking lessons as some parents do not know how to cook unless it is something done in microwave or hot water for pot noodles or super noodles. Do you agree? 

4. Reducing teenage pregnancies and give better information to them to schools with career advice, financial advice, etc. Do you agree?

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Isn't it the parents responsible to feed them? Yes some parents do need extra financial help and that's why we seen Increase in welfare payments have happened to help less well off families. Those payments will keep increasing aswell

The basic problem is that wages are too low. People don't have enough money in their pockets to buy the basic necessities of life.

The problem is your beloved Tory party opposes higher wages for ordinary people every step of the way - and is always looking to cut benefits

Don't you agree? 

33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

But there is also issues that need tackling this problem like this one

1. Making mum and dad pay child maintenance after all they are parent to this child at the end of the day. So they need to take responsibility for the actions? Take two people to tango in the end. Do you agree? 

2. Also when school vouchers were provided to a number of parents were using them to buy alcohol or computer consoles with them during lockdown restrictions? Was that for children or themselves? I've been told of this from several different sources. Surely this is wrong and should be stop? 

3. Also given parents better training with cooking lessons as some parents do not know how to cook unless it is something done in microwave or hot water for pot noodles or super noodles. Do you agree? 

4. Reducing teenage pregnancies and give better information to them to schools with career advice, financial advice, etc. Do you agree?

So on the basis of stereotypical hearsay you begrudge needy children and would rather they starve ?

Edited by Inglorious basturk

Reducing teenage pregnancy rates, teaching parents how to manage finances better etc are laudable aims in themselves, but their impact will not be felt for years. Kids are hungry now. Just because some people misuse the funds they're given is no excuse not to provide them to the vast majority who do use them as intended. I had 4 kids on one wage and it was a challenge sometimes to get to the end of the month with enough money to pay for essentials. I never reached the point where I had to choose between feeding my kids and buying one of them a new pair of shoes but it was close sometimes. I'm sure you can't be as heartless as you appear, Chaddy. I blooming well hope you're not.

Just now, gumboots said:

Reducing teenage pregnancy rates, teaching parents how to manage finances better etc are laudable aims in themselves, but their impact will not be felt for years. Kids are hungry now. Just because some people misuse the funds they're given is no excuse not to provide them to the vast majority who do use them as intended. I had 4 kids on one wage and it was a challenge sometimes to get to the end of the month with enough money to pay for essentials. I never reached the point where I had to choose between feeding my kids and buying one of them a new pair of shoes but it was close sometimes. I'm sure you can't be as heartless as you appear, Chaddy. I blooming well hope you're not.

I don’t think he truly understands what he is saying .  Treats politics like a football allegiance 

People misuse money Chaddys right. 
The government have wasted hundreds of millions, if not billions of OUR money by handing out obscene contracts for PPE  and contact tracing.

Is he suggesting we shouldn’t do either of those things now?

6 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

I don’t think he truly understands what he is saying .  Treats politics like a football allegiance 

And yet he claims to watch and follow every debate far more than most of us would claim to. I can understand people having different views. I can't understand people being so dogmatic that they can't even allow others to think differently

Edited by gumboots

There's a whole list of measures the Tories undertook after 2010 in order to balance the books. Funnily enough those measures fell hardest on those least able to cope with them.

Bedroom tax, benefits not extended beyond 2nd child, huge cuts to Council revenue so that even libraries were closed. And for what? Doesn't matter anymore does it, the deficit now dwarfs anything ever seen before?

Sure there are bad parents, there always has been but a basic premise of government should be to provide jobs via the economy for most of its citizens, to provide adequate help to those who can't work or can't find a job, to ensure everyone has health care of a high standard and to collect enough taxes to pay for it all.

Successive Tory governments have failed an all counts.