• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I would offer an insight into the School Meal Voucher scheme being used to provide vouchers to those parents and children that need it desperately.  The scheme is provided by Edenred a co

This sermon is brought to you by the Daily Mail. Victim-blaming repugnant nonsense. 

You need to completely change your perspective. Do you think they don’t realise how dangerous is?  They don’t have other options. Of course it’s dangerous but the alternative, for most, is l

Posted Images

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I totally agree about the welfare state from the early 2000's under Labour government that facilitate this behaviour of having a children so young and the state would pay and support you by giving you a house, money, food and etc. Its a culture that does now coming down on by better education, financial management, making children understand that they are better off having a college or university education then finding a job in that find then, better understanding of the sex education and not feeling the pressure of having a sex at such a early age to prove a point to friends or group of people. 

They say a little knowledge is dangerous and you clearly have no knowledge and just believe right wing tabloid tittle-tattle. If you did a little bit of research you would know that the average age of first time mothers in the UK is now 28.9 whereas in 2000 26.5. Infact when Labour came to power in 1997 the average age of first time mothers was 26.1 whereas when they left office in 2010 the average age was 27.7. You would also know that births for people under 20 have dropped every year since 2000 and that more women are now having kids in their 40's than they do in their teens. 

38 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Never read any of them or watch the movies. 

No I want children to have the education and then go into college or university education or into apprenticeships. Build a career for themselves. Whether it's a nurse, fitness instructor or builder or roofer or HGV driver. Enjoy their late teens and 20's with their friends by having night outs, holidays, etc

You want kids to have education yet you haven't read two of the finest novels by this countries greatest every writer. Thank heavens that you aren't in charge of the education system. 

Edited by Ewood Ace

At the end of the day no child should ever have to go hungry. However there needs to be a better solution to this than the state simply picking the slack up. Yes, in the meantime there should be more money offered to families who are living in poverty, but that is not the end of the problem. More needs to be done to advance social progression, whereas reliance on the state should be discouraged in every possible form.

We do need to take into consideration the level of money wasted in the midst of all of this pandemic. £12bn on an app. Jeremy Hunt is currently leading a push to try and get the govt to ring fence £7bn for social care reform in what is being touted as the 'biggest shake up since the NHS'. Let that one sink in. Jeremy Hunt, JEREMY HUNT, is fighting for more money to be spent.

It is remarkable that £7bn has been earmarked as enough money to rectify a broken social care system but £12bn doesn't get you a track and trace system. 

As did mine. My dad working 60 to 70 hours a week, my mum working 30 to 40 hours a week

There will be many parents in the same situation now but due to the pandemic and some already struggling families down to 80% pay... your dad would have had to work up to 84 hours a week to put food on the table. 

Theres some interesting and relevant debates to be had on the benefit system in normal times and I for one dont like it to go overboard. But when youre closing down businesses, forcing people onto a lower pay, theres a moral duty to help pick up the slack and make sure kids dont go hungry. Whilst we're still in restrictions I cant see any reason to not stump up a relatively small bit of cash considering the money we've chucked at other stuff. 

38 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

They say a little knowledge is dangerous and you clearly have no knowledge and just believe right wing tabloid tittle-tattle. If you did a little bit of research you would know that the average age of first time mothers in the UK is now 28.9 whereas in 2000 26.5. Infact when Labour came to power in 1997 the average age of first time mothers was 26.1 whereas when they left office in 2010 the average age was 27.7. You would also know that births for people under 20 have dropped every year since 2000 and that more women are now having kids in their 40's than they do in their teens. 

You want kids to have education yet you haven't read two of the finest novels by this countries greatest every writer. Thank heavens that you aren't in charge of the education system. 

In 2018, there were 23.6 conceptions per 1,000 women aged 15 to 17 years usually resident in the most deprived areas of England, whereas there were 9.5 conceptions per 1,000 women aged 15 to 17 years in the least deprived areas of England.

Not every children or person enjoyed reading their type of books. Different people have different things they enjoyed. 

I've not read either of the books either, but I know the stories well. They are part of cultural heritage. They are something most people know about. We use the term Scrooge to mean a tight fisted person in ordinary English. Dickens can be a hard read but you can easily watch one of the many film versions. Even the Muppets Christmas Carol is close enough to the story to give you the gist. And it's fun. Enjoy it. 

19 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

There will be many parents in the same situation now but due to the pandemic and some already struggling families down to 80% pay... your dad would have had to work up to 84 hours a week to put food on the table. 

My dad was still working 60 to 70 hours a week in his last job before retirement 6 years ago. 

Well I have no reason not to trust the people who have told me the stories has they witness first hand at the store. 

Great response to isp's detailed post. Ignore all of his points which are well argued from a position of knowledge, and then dispute your sources know better than isp's with his experience. After all what would he know? (Assuming on the he part!) Like he'd have any more info then your mate at the pub. Even if worse comes to the worst and somehow a few get through the cracks/round the system it shows this isn't the majority of cases and therefore debunks the argument of the undeserving poor. 

As for the rest of isp's post interesting there is no response. Not sure on what basis his points aren't worth engaging with. 

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

My dad was still working 60 to 70 hours a week in his last job before retirement 6 years ago. 

Nice politician response there.

If his pay was 20% lower he'd have to work 84 hours a week which is horrific for anyone and would lead to health problems over the long term and probably not leave a lot of time to cook proper meals for their kids or sit and do fun activities which give them the basis of a good education. 

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

1. That's why we have the welfare system in place and extra billions going into years on years.. 

The Cameron years?

How does spending on welfare compare with previous generations?

The Tories have made a fetish out of dumping on welfare spending.

You live in the middle of it all and seem not to have noticed.

I can't imagine the sheer misery some families are going through right now just to get food on the table. 

It's just so spiteful to withhold support when it will cause even more suffering while all these tory pigs have their snouts in the trough. 

Do people take advantage? In sure they do, but it's a drop in the ocean compared to what the top one percent siphon off. 

It's just so shameful, and downright cruel. That's what the tories are. Cruel. 

On 21/10/2020 at 22:10, Mike E said:

Instead, she copy/pastes a limp-wristed excuse from Ben Bradley.

Here is her response 

My statement on free school meals- I would like to clear things up from yesterdays vote. I know this is an emotive topic and I will make it very clear. I did not vote last night to make children go hungry. I did not vote to starve children. I know that families are struggling and I absolutely believe that we should take measures to help.

This Opposition Day Motion was a cheap attempt by the Labour party to portray the Conservative government as depriving children of food and it was unjust and unqualified.

The fact is that Free School Meals have never been provided during the school holidays under any government prior to Easter 2020. Due to schools being closed during lock-down just before Easter, we transferred the concept of Free School Meals to the home, meeting the costs of a national voucher scheme for those eligible for Free School Meals, and kept this running over Easter and Summer holidays given schools were closed up to that time for most pupils. We know from our holiday activity and food schemes that some families do need extra support especially in the long summer holiday - but it is not all children on free school meals. We must therefore target support to those that need it most.

Schools are now open again, so we return back to the system which has always been in place under successive Governments of all political parties: Free School Meals apply during term time only. But as we move back to this, we also know that the best way to support families and children is through a strong welfare system, not through providing supermarket vouchers.

To those who have said they are not interested in being told how much money is being provided by the Government, given the debate is about how to support those in need, money is the absolute heart of the issue

That is why we have added over £9 billion to the welfare system.

This has allowed us to-

-Increase Universal Credit by £1,000/year -Increase local housing allowance and create a £180m fund to help struggling families with rent

-Award £16m to food charities

-Create a £63m fund for councils to use for local welfare assistance, of which Lancashire received £1,453,005.64.

This is to support families and those who need it the most with food and other essential items. This ensures that support is reliably delivered to those who need it most, when they need it most and in a way which allows families to spend it in the way which will help them best. I want to support families in the right way, and after speaking to people at home, many do agree that the best way to do this is pay the money to families and they then determine how best to spend it for their household. I have received some highly disturbing emails over the past 24 hours, which in accordance with standard procedures I have passed on to the police. My total focus is on providing support to vulnerable children, families and individuals at this deeply challenging time and this is what I have done throughout. That is why I agree that the above approach is the best to take. 

I have already been lobbying the Children’s Minister to campaign for local financial assistance to continue to be provided to local authorities for families throughout winter in Hyndburn and Haslingden during this pandemic.

That's a Central Office press release.

Bottom line is a 24 year-old MP on £80,000 a year plus benefits voted against a small affordable measure that would helped some of the poorest children to have a decent meal for a short while

£500m wasted on Eat Out to Help Out and boost the profits of Wetherspoons and other Tory donors = Affordable

£20m to stop some English kids going hungry in the school holidays = Unaffordable

Cruel isn't the half of it. 

"My parents worked 75 hours a week for 30p........." 

That graft is commendable, but why not say that such conditions are inhuman and wrong? Why not try and make life better for the next generation? Why should someone have to work so hard just so they can afford to exist, whilst the money goes into the hands of the likes of Phillip Green, Jeff Bezos and so on? Why must we go back to the worst of Victorian society with a few privileged families with all the money and power telling the serfs they're feckless and lazy from their sedan chairs en route to some brothel in Soho with trafficked adults and children? 

• Moderation Lead
5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Here is her response 

My statement on free school meals- I would like to clear things up from yesterdays vote. I know this is an emotive topic and I will make it very clear. I did not vote last night to make children go hungry. I did not vote to starve children. I know that families are struggling and I absolutely believe that we should take measures to help.

This Opposition Day Motion was a cheap attempt by the Labour party to portray the Conservative government as depriving children of food and it was unjust and unqualified.

The fact is that Free School Meals have never been provided during the school holidays under any government prior to Easter 2020. Due to schools being closed during lock-down just before Easter, we transferred the concept of Free School Meals to the home, meeting the costs of a national voucher scheme for those eligible for Free School Meals, and kept this running over Easter and Summer holidays given schools were closed up to that time for most pupils. We know from our holiday activity and food schemes that some families do need extra support especially in the long summer holiday - but it is not all children on free school meals. We must therefore target support to those that need it most.

Schools are now open again, so we return back to the system which has always been in place under successive Governments of all political parties: Free School Meals apply during term time only. But as we move back to this, we also know that the best way to support families and children is through a strong welfare system, not through providing supermarket vouchers.

To those who have said they are not interested in being told how much money is being provided by the Government, given the debate is about how to support those in need, money is the absolute heart of the issue

This has allowed us to-

-Increase Universal Credit by £1,000/year -Increase local housing allowance and create a £180m fund to help struggling families with rent

-Create a £63m fund for councils to use for local welfare assistance, of which Lancashire received £1,453,005.64.

This is to support families and those who need it the most with food and other essential items. This ensures that support is reliably delivered to those who need it most, when they need it most and in a way which allows families to spend it in the way which will help them best. I want to support families in the right way, and after speaking to people at home, many do agree that the best way to do this is pay the money to families and they then determine how best to spend it for their household. I have received some highly disturbing emails over the past 24 hours, which in accordance with standard procedures I have passed on to the police. My total focus is on providing support to vulnerable children, families and individuals at this deeply challenging time and this is what I have done throughout. That is why I agree that the above approach is the best to take. 

I have already been lobbying the Children’s Minister to campaign for local financial assistance to continue to be provided to local authorities for families throughout winter in Hyndburn and Haslingden during this pandemic.

To translate into English-

‘I did what I was told, because I’m a newbie and don’t want to ruffle any feathers. I’m blaming Labour as a deflection tactic, so my gullible followers will think it’s not my fault I voted for children to go hungry. If I say I’ve done the opposite, people will think I care. 
Despite representing one of the poorest boroughs in the country and voting for children to continue to go hungry. Hopefully nobody has noticed how much money we have wasted on track and trace, PPE and how much we are paying contractors and this blows over soon’.

Someone throw her some arm bands, she’s way out of her depth.

44 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

To translate into English-

‘I did what I was told, because I’m a newbie and don’t want to ruffle any feathers. I’m blaming Labour as a deflection tactic, so my gullible followers will think it’s not my fault I voted for children to go hungry. If I say I’ve done the opposite, people will think I care. 
Despite representing one of the poorest boroughs in the country and voting for children to continue to go hungry. Hopefully nobody has noticed how much money we have wasted on track and trace, PPE and how much we are paying contractors and this blows over soon’.

Someone throw her some arm bands, she’s way out of her depth.

It’s painful watching her and higginbotham . Britcliffe is pure nepotism . I wouldn’t look at her Twitter feed if you live in hyndburn ..... unless you want to know if it’s Prosecco o clock 

The bit in her statement that REALLY grates with me, is a Tory MP justifying not backing free school meals during a pandemic that’s causing real hardship to some of the poorest, because of the way they have funded the welfare system.

This government has cut the welfare system to the bones. Absolutely decimated it. 

What gall - and some people believe them.

40 minutes ago, den said:

The bit in her statement that REALLY grates with me, is a Tory MP justifying not backing free school meals during a pandemic that’s causing real hardship to some of the poorest, because of the way they have funded the welfare system.

This government has cut the welfare system to the bones. Absolutely decimated it. 

What gall - and some people believe them.

I was just reading an excerpt from the latest analysis of who the 21 leading industrialised nations have coped with the virus. England and Wales are second just behind Spain in excess deaths between mid Feb and May. The senior author of the report says - " We cannot dismantle the health system through austerity and then expect it to serve the people when the need is at it's highest, especially in poor and marginalised communities ".

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Here is her response 

This has allowed us to-

Lobby fodder.

12 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

In 2018, there were 23.6 conceptions per 1,000 women aged 15 to 17 years usually resident in the most deprived areas of England, whereas there were 9.5 conceptions per 1,000 women aged 15 to 17 years in the least deprived areas of England. 

Would you care to compare those statistics with previous years? As that will show that the numbers are consistently going down as you would see from my previous post but you appear to have ignored those numbers as they are facts that don't support your claim.

" Private Eye " is very good this week. I'm just reading a long list of Johnson's cronies, back slappers and arse lickers who've turned on him recently -

" The Daily Mail "

" The Sun "

Trevor Kavanagh " ( alleged to be The Sun's leader writer ).

Allison Pearson ( Daily Telegraph and foremost Johnson groupie ).

Peter Oborne  ( long time Tory apologist ).

Toby Young ( long time pal of Johnson's and right wing nut case )

It's not looking good for the flop haired fool is it ?