BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Politics

53 minutes ago, Gav said:

But she’s happy to let children go hungry.

Shes a disgrace chaddy.

I totally and utter disagree she is a disgrace. We arent going to agree sadly. 

Money is provided to local councils to provided meals now. Plus local businesses are doing meals including one of favourite restaurants. But like he says he ain't doing for political reasons but for community and the fact he was help out by the government scheme eat out to help out. 

What did you think about the 4 points I posted yesterday?

48 minutes ago, den said:

Chaddy - your government could have done what the other parts of the U.K. did in an unprecedented situation.  They CHOSE not to.

Its our government Den whether it Conservative party or Labour Party. 

The funding has been provided to local councils. 

Also it is the Labour Party playing politics with this issue. Trying to side with Marcus Rashford campaign when it was during a Labour Government that was in power when Rashford family and mum was struggling to live on minimum wage job and provide for for her 5 children. 

36 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Its our government Den whether it Conservative party or Labour Party. 

The funding has been provided to local councils. 

Also it is the Labour Party playing politics with this issue. Trying to side with Marcus Rashford campaign when it was during a Labour Government that was in power when Rashford family and mum was struggling to live on minimum wage job and provide for for her 5 children. 

Isp82 explained the situation to you very clearly, but you didn’t believe him, because it didn’t come from Johnson probably. Are you saying Isp82 is playing politics?

The funding isn’t there to pay for FSM during holiday periods,  that’s why many councils (almost exclusively northern councils, because that’s where the poorest children are) are making the decisions themselves, committed to helping these kids as best they can - along with many other businesses and organisations. Your government stands aside. They could quite easily fund this, but they won’t.

In case you forgot, the Tories voted against providing FSM’s during the holidays.

Edited by den

33 minutes ago, den said:

Isp82 explained the situation to you very clearly, but you didn’t believe him, because it didn’t come from Johnson probably. Are you saying Isp82 is playing politics?

The funding isn’t there to pay for FSM during holiday periods,  that’s why many councils (almost exclusively northern councils, because that’s where the poorest children are) are making the decisions themselves, committed to helping these kids as best they can - along with many other businesses and organisations. Your government stands aside. They could quite easily fund this, but they won’t.

In case you forgot, the Tories voted against providing FSM’s during the holidays.

Yes councils are paying after being given extra funding from government which has been allocated to them for they to decide which is needed most in their communities. Which is what I was saying before. Never mention Isp82 in any of my posts today so good knows what you are reading. Nice avoiding tactic again!

And you forget it was Blair and Brown who was PM when Marcus Rashford and his family were in food poverty but let's nicely avoided that point. Wonder why? Oh yes cos it's your Labour Party. 

• Backroom
48 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes councils are paying after being given extra funding from government which has been allocated to them for they to decide which is needed most in their communities. Which is what I was saying before. Never mention Isp82 in any of my posts today so good knows what you are reading. Nice avoiding tactic again!

And you forget it was Blair and Brown who was PM when Marcus Rashford and his family were in food poverty but let's nicely avoided that point. Wonder why? Oh yes cos it's your Labour Party. 

Your argument is that it's okay for the Conservatives to let chn go hungry because Labour did?

Why don't you (as Rashford and pretty much every non-Tory politician do) want things to improve for future generations?

I can very well relate to your story about your parents working all hours to provide for you, my parents similarly worked ridiculous hours (my dad did 7am-7pm 6 days per week -on call on the 7th day- for around 12 years from his mid50s to late60s).

However it baffles me that rather than make the UK a country where such hardship isn't needed, you seem to think (or don't care) that people should have to work their fingers to the bone to feed their chn.

My (and the current Labour) view is that it should NOT have to happen.

The reason it's getting so much focus now is that parents are being MADE to struggle by this government. It's not circumstance, it is being forced to happen.

The only people 'playing politics' are the people in power who denied the extension of the FSM voucher scheme, forcing charities to step in in their place.

In Germany we don't do charity, we pay our taxes. Charity is a failure of the state.- Henning Wehn.

18 minutes ago, Mike E said:

In Germany we don't do charity, we pay our taxes. Charity is a failure of the state.- Henning Wehn.

I’ve got another one for you Mike...

Dont doo az vee doo, doo az vee seh. - Adolf Hitler. Nazi Party 1939.

On 23/10/2020 at 01:49, chaddyrovers said:

Here is her response 

My statement on free school meals- I would like to clear things up from yesterdays vote. I know this is an emotive topic and I will make it very clear. I did not vote last night to make children go hungry. I did not vote to starve children. I know that families are struggling and I absolutely believe that we should take measures to help.

This Opposition Day Motion was a cheap attempt by the Labour party to portray the Conservative government as depriving children of food and it was unjust and unqualified.

The fact is that Free School Meals have never been provided during the school holidays under any government prior to Easter 2020. Due to schools being closed during lock-down just before Easter, we transferred the concept of Free School Meals to the home, meeting the costs of a national voucher scheme for those eligible for Free School Meals, and kept this running over Easter and Summer holidays given schools were closed up to that time for most pupils. We know from our holiday activity and food schemes that some families do need extra support especially in the long summer holiday - but it is not all children on free school meals. We must therefore target support to those that need it most.

Schools are now open again, so we return back to the system which has always been in place under successive Governments of all political parties: Free School Meals apply during term time only. But as we move back to this, we also know that the best way to support families and children is through a strong welfare system, not through providing supermarket vouchers.

To those who have said they are not interested in being told how much money is being provided by the Government, given the debate is about how to support those in need, money is the absolute heart of the issue

That is why we have added over £9 billion to the welfare system.

This has allowed us to-

-Increase Universal Credit by £1,000/year -Increase local housing allowance and create a £180m fund to help struggling families with rent

-Award £16m to food charities

-Create a £63m fund for councils to use for local welfare assistance, of which Lancashire received £1,453,005.64.

This is to support families and those who need it the most with food and other essential items. This ensures that support is reliably delivered to those who need it most, when they need it most and in a way which allows families to spend it in the way which will help them best. I want to support families in the right way, and after speaking to people at home, many do agree that the best way to do this is pay the money to families and they then determine how best to spend it for their household. I have received some highly disturbing emails over the past 24 hours, which in accordance with standard procedures I have passed on to the police. My total focus is on providing support to vulnerable children, families and individuals at this deeply challenging time and this is what I have done throughout. That is why I agree that the above approach is the best to take. 

I have already been lobbying the Children’s Minister to campaign for local financial assistance to continue to be provided to local authorities for families throughout winter in Hyndburn and Haslingden during this pandemic.

I would have replied to this earlier, unfortunately the DFE decided to send me an email at 10pm last night to say that the laptops my school had applied for per the government's scheme to help disadvantaged children had been reduced from 61 to 13. No explanation given. By today this had happened to over 200 schools with all emails sent on Friday night before half term. I will post more about this later.

Now, the motion was not a cheap shot intending to make the Government look bad. It was a reaction to an unprecedented situation made worse by the new lockdown measures and the need to ensure children are fed during the holidays while the situation as it is.

The government had no intention of transferring the scheme to the holidays (schools were told in no uncertain terms this was the case by email) until there was a media backlash led by M Rashford. If this had not happened be under no illusion the government would not have changed their position.

Yes the government is only following what previous governments have done and how the system has been used since 1960s. HOWEVER no government since before then has had to deal with a pandemic which has devastated the economy in such a way. I am sure previous governments both Labour and Conservative would have seen the unique circumstances and made sure children were fed.

We all agree that this is not a long term solution and nobody has ever argued it is. The point that is totally missed is that this is needed now as a short term measure. Reform of the system is needed and sadly that will take too long to help the children who need it now.

An increase in UC is great but when it takes more than 5 weeks to apply for it and get a response makes this irrelevant to those struggling now. I have helped parents apply and some waited 10 weeks with no income.

Award 16 million to food Charities? Why the hell in 2020 do we have Food Charities? If I was the government this is not something I would be shouting about in a 1st world country. Hmm it also seems to be a short term measure which this government is so adamant they don't believe in and is the reason they won't extend the FSM scheme. 

Providing 1.4 million to LCC just seems to be passing the buck. Councils have had budgets decimated by the government, services slashed but hey 1.4 million can solve all your welfare problems. They have no clue. 

As of 2019 there were 83000 children living in poverty in Lancashire. So 1.4 million works out at 16 quid per child. So absolutely families can use that huge some of money to feed their children for a whole year at least. If we use the government standard for FSM of 2.30 a meal then that is less than 8 meals. 

Thats if all the money goes to families and not divided amongst other vulnerable groups such as the elderly etc. My question is why force councils to choose where the money goes? Simple, so that they can say the provided money and therefore absolve the government of blame. 

When I hear MPs spout absolute crap on twitter about vouchers being used to fund crack dens, drugs etc it makes me laugh, what are dealers taking these days? dairylea lunchables? You can't even buy washing powder with them. It also makes me angry as hell that I have spent everyday since March supporting my community, dealing with desperation on a daily basis only to have Tory MPs spout crap like this to deflect attention from the fact they voted for saving money over saving lives.

Anyone who thinks different can come and spend a day with me and I will happily show them the real side to poverty.

Edited by lsp82

The last few months have shown there is a bit of a magic money tree, feeding the kids would be a drop in the ocean compared to what has been spent on this pandemic  so the question is should we not can we. 

Plain and simple this is a moral decision rather than financial.

The email I received on Friday completely and utterly sums up the disgrace this government is. In April this year they openly criticised schools for not being able to provide quality online learning for disadvantaged children. Articles in the media accusing schools of letting down children, Ministers, Journalists calling out schools for failing children. Then we get government rolling out a technology initiative aimed at getting all disadvantaged children access to a laptop so they can get the same advantages as other children. Great I thought ( having over 60 families with no access to a laptop or Internet in some cases). I spend over a week trying to apply in April and then patiently waited and waited and waited until Friday night at 10pm when an email appeared. Brilliant I thought, hopefully they will be arriving soon. NO just an email to say my allocation had been reduced from 60 to 12!! No explanation given. Every single school i have spoken to primary and secondary got the same email. 

So a scheme set up to help disadvantaged kids have the technology so they have the same opportunities as others actually doesn't really help them at all. Rather buries an email saying we will only help a tiny bit, in the middle of a debate on feeding children at 10pm on Friday night. 

17 minutes ago, lsp82 said:

The email I received on Friday completely and utterly sums up the disgrace this government is. In April this year they openly criticised schools for not being able to provide quality online learning for disadvantaged children. Articles in the media accusing schools of letting down children, Ministers, Journalists calling out schools for failing children. Then we get government rolling out a technology initiative aimed at getting all disadvantaged children access to a laptop so they can get the same advantages as other children. Great I thought ( having over 60 families with no access to a laptop or Internet in some cases). I spend over a week trying to apply in April and then patiently waited and waited and waited until Friday night at 10pm when an email appeared. Brilliant I thought, hopefully they will be arriving soon. NO just an email to say my allocation had been reduced from 60 to 12!! No explanation given. Every single school i have spoken to primary and secondary got the same email. 

So a scheme set up to help disadvantaged kids have the technology so they have the same opportunities as others actually doesn't really help them at all. Rather buries an email saying we will only help a tiny bit, in the middle of a debate on feeding children at 10pm on Friday night. 

C'mon, you know how the working classes do things, you cant be giving them laptops, they'll be on the dark web trading their free meal vouchers for crack

53 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

The last few months have shown there is a bit of a magic money tree, feeding the kids would be a drop in the ocean compared to what has been spent on this pandemic  so the question is should we not can we. 

Plain and simple this is a moral decision rather than financial.

The last few months having proven to those with eyes that see that " Austerity " was just a massive con inflicted on the gullible with the intention of rolling back the state. Nothing more, nothing less.

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Hyndburn has recieved £2.43 billion pounds for the area to tackle Covid-19. We recieved £1 billion so the Hyndburn council could support the community in the way best for area. Also recieved £682,058 extra in unringfenced funding that can be used by the council to target support where it is needed in the community where local leaders decide

Stating raw amounts is standard politician tactics. It enables them (or they think it does) to convince us they are dealing with the situation. Whether the money  is in any way sufficient to cancel out the deprivation is entirely another matter.

So, for example, as result of that money, are there no children now hungry in Hyndburn?

Or--does this new money make up for the savage Tory cuts to Local Government since 2010 or are they still receiving less money in real terms than they did back then??

Raw figures mean nothing.

5 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

New country created in north west Europe. Thankfully, here in Northwich, we’ve just scraped in.

6BDBC98D-1C5C-4101-8C92-EDCD3C925F5A.jpeg

You could have added---"The new country is being destabilised by Yorkists who are demanding the capitol be moved to Leeds!"