2 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

However, the government has forced the closure of businesses which has put people out of work or on reduced wages  therefore the government should pick up the slack. 

Thats why you have seen different schemes like Mortgages hoildays for people on furlough, and the People can apply for Universal credit which will top up your income as I know it does, 

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I would offer an insight into the School Meal Voucher scheme being used to provide vouchers to those parents and children that need it desperately.  The scheme is provided by Edenred a co

This sermon is brought to you by the Daily Mail. Victim-blaming repugnant nonsense. 

You need to completely change your perspective. Do you think they don’t realise how dangerous is?  They don’t have other options. Of course it’s dangerous but the alternative, for most, is l

Posted Images

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

No Mike, we have provided funding to local councils which isn't ring fenced and allow the council leaders to decide depending on what they deem the needs in those areas. I have posted the funding we have received from Government for our area we live in. The government isn't making parents struggled at all Mike when you consider all the financial help they made available during this Covid-19 crisis. People who are struggling have the welfare system there for them through Universal Credit systems like people who lose their jobs or have their hours cut, etc. 

The way you improve things is by creating more jobs, good economy and NHS. Plus building more homes so more people can get a mortgage and their first home. Plus the four points I posted on Thursday in tackling this long term problem which it is parents paying their fair share for the children they both bought into the work, Cooking lesses and courses for parents who don't know how to provide a proper cooking meal, 

Yes my dad did work long hours when I was young children but he was always there anytime I needed. in the last few years of his working life he worked so many hours so he had more money for after retirement for travelling and Holiday purposes. Just like both parents are there even now for me even if it on a phone which isn't ideal. I missed cooking for them on Sunday's and other times due to current covid-19 restrictions 

Why is child poverty rising?

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

No Mike, we have provided funding to local councils which isn't ring fenced and allow the council leaders to decide depending on what they deem the needs in those areas. I have posted the funding we have received from Government for our area we live in

The more than 2,000 paediatricians who work with young people have signed a letter saying England should follow Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland in providing meals during the holidays say you and your government is wrong. 

Time to listen to the experts

1 hour ago, matt83 said:

Of course those are the reasons people are in poverty and some are just dealt a rough hand but that’s life. There are also some who will pull themselves out of it and end up living very well and some will remain on the bones of their arse forever more. The point is if anyone relies on social entitlement programmes simply to be able to raise children they probably shouldn’t be having children in the first place. At best it’s selfish bringing children into that way of life at worst it’s social eugenics in reverse. 

Yes maybe , it just doesn’t seem like the place and time to debate if a child starves due to the parents short Comings

12 minutes ago, den said:

Why is child poverty rising?

Since the start of the pandemic over 900,000 new applications for free school meals have been made.

I posted this earlier in the week:

https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/child-poverty-devastating-lancashire-having-18142327

It says 77% of children in the Bullough Park are of Accrington are estimated to be living in poverty, the worst figures in the country, someone should post on the local MP's twitter accounts....

15 hours ago, lsp82 said:

Now, the motion was not a cheap shot intending to make the Government look bad. It was a reaction to an unprecedented situation made worse by the new lockdown measures and the need to ensure children are fed during the holidays while the situation as it is.

Providing 1.4 million to LCC just seems to be passing the buck. Councils have had budgets decimated by the government, services slashed but hey 1.4 million can solve all your welfare problems. They have no clue. 

As of 2019 there were 83000 children living in poverty in Lancashire. So 1.4 million works out at 16 quid per child. So absolutely families can use that huge some of money to feed their children for a whole year at least. If we use the government standard for FSM of 2.30 a meal then that is less than 8 meals. 

Thats if all the money goes to families and not divided amongst other vulnerable groups such as the elderly etc. My question is why force councils to choose where the money goes? Simple, so that they can say the provided money and therefore absolve the government of blame. 

I am sorry but this is Starmer and Labour Party playing politics when they need money has been provided to local councils. 

1.4 million? well my local area has been given over 600k in unringfenced money. Why has my local council been given the option where the cash gones? Because local council and councillors know what is needed in their local areas as every area will have different needs. Hyndburn local needs will be different to town like Skipton or Great Yarmouth or Weymouth. Thats why you let local leaders decide.  

15 hours ago, lsp82 said:

An increase in UC is great but when it takes more than 5 weeks to apply for it and get a response makes this irrelevant to those struggling now. I have helped parents apply and some waited 10 weeks with no income.

But if you are already on UC then an increase is great for them tho. 

30 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The way you improve things is by creating more jobs, good economy and NHS. Plus building more homes so more people can get a mortgage and their first home.

And the government are failing on all of these.

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I am sorry but this is Starmer and Labour Party playing politics when they need money has been provided to local councils. 

Rashford raised the issue but it was the Tories who politicised it by blaming Labour.

Superb deflection....your forte too

2 hours ago, matt83 said:

I know this won’t be popular in the echo chamber but people who cannot provide one of the most basic duties of a parent, feeding your child, are total wasters. No exceptions and no excuses I’ve never wanted or expected anything as basic as the government feeding kids. However, this problem poses a moral dilemma. We certainly cannot punish any child for the faults of feckless parents and meals should 100% be provided.

For those who shamefully cannot provide food for their child, have no friends or family willing to help and require the state to step in to feed their child should owe the state their time. A bit like community service. Give back to society by picking up litter, scraping chewing gum off the floor, painting fences, etc, etc. I’m sure the ones who are well intentioned and briefly fallen on hard times will be prepared to give back for their child’s sake. Even in our something for nothing culture.

A life lesson they perhaps needed to learn before they had kids is there no such thing as a free lunch. Children are a privilege not a right if you can’t afford to keep them you shouldn’t have them. It’s beyond selfish for those who knowingly bring a child into poverty or a situation where poverty is realistic. 

Children are such a privilege that you think that they ought to starve just to teach a lesson to their parents.?

1 hour ago, matt83 said:

Of course those are the reasons people are in poverty and some are just dealt a rough hand but that’s life. There are also some who will pull themselves out of it and end up living very well and some will remain on the bones of their arse forever more. The point is if anyone relies on social entitlement programmes simply to be able to raise children they probably shouldn’t be having children in the first place. At best it’s selfish bringing children into that way of life at worst it’s social eugenics in reverse. 

Is eugenics something that you are a supporter of?

Edited by Ewood Ace
2 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Children are such a privilege that you think that they ought to starve just to teach a lesson to their parents.?

Presumably you didn’t read the bit where I said children should not be punished by the actions of the parents and meals should be provided.

41 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

No Mike, we have provided funding to local councils which isn't ring fenced and allow the council leaders to decide depending on what they deem the needs in those areas. I have posted the funding we have received from Government for our area we live in. The government isn't making parents struggled at all Mike when you consider all the financial help they made available during this Covid-19 crisis. People who are struggling have the welfare system there for them through Universal Credit systems like people who lose their jobs or have their hours cut, etc. 

Firstly they have to eligible for UC and secondly if they are they then have a 5 week wait to receive it. Do you see a slight problem there?

5 minutes ago, Gav said:

I posted this earlier in the week:

https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/child-poverty-devastating-lancashire-having-18142327

It says 77% of children in the Bullough Park are of Accrington are estimated to be living in poverty, the worst figures in the country, someone should post on the local MP's twitter accounts....

have you ever visited the area of Bullough park of Accrington? 

You will find a lot of single parents with children living in the area. I think they are still some council houses there now. They were 20 years ago. Unsure now.  

Its been poverty for the last 20 years so it isn't just recent problem. 

2 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Presumably you didn’t read the bit where I said children should not be punished by the actions of the parents and meals should be provided.

I saw it I'm just doubting the sincerity of it. I note that you didn't answer the question that I asked you. Interesting. ?

1 minute ago, Ewood Ace said:

I saw it I'm just doubting the sincerity of it. I note that you didn't answer the question that I asked you. Interesting. ?

While it is that the best and the brightest are propping up the feckless there will eventually be a tipping point where it’s unsustainable. Probably at that point now. 

Just now, matt83 said:

While it is that the best and the brightest are propping up the feckless there will eventually be a tipping point where it’s unsustainable. Probably at that point now. 

It's this sort of language that is so annoying. Just because people are out of work or do not have much money or are struggling generally does not mean they "feckless".

3 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Goodness me and I thought eugenics went out with the Nazi's. Can I also ask are you a fan of Adolph Hitler or any other policies of his?

Edited by Ewood Ace
1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

It's this sort of language that is so annoying. Just because people are out of work or do not have much money or are struggling generally does not mean they "feckless".

If you’ve got yourself into a position where you cannot afford to feed your child and don’t know anyone personally that can help. Feckless is treading lightly 

1 minute ago, Ewood Ace said:

Goodness me and I thought eugenics went out with the Nazi's. Can I also ask are you a fan of Adolph Hitler or any other policies of his?

I’m not advocating it. Just highlighting the problem with a shrinking number of people that contribute vs an expanding number of hands out. 

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

1.4 million? well my local area has been given over 600k in unringfenced money. Why has my local council been given the option where the cash gones? Because local council and councillors know what is needed in their local areas as every area will have different needs. Hyndburn local needs will be different to town like Skipton or Great Yarmouth or Weymouth. Thats why you let local leaders decide.  

But if you are already on UC then an increase is great for them tho. 

Seriously how can all of his points be missed in one post so much!?! 

Why bother responding if you are going to ignore the vast bulk of what he says and then twist the bits you pick out? The issue on finance was that it wasn't enough whether solely tackling this problem or shared between others. You ignore all his stats and figures. 

You ignore UC wait times, how many meals the money gets, in fact you ignore many criticisms that are made and start a completely separate debate on whether the money should be ringfemced or not.

You are getting schooled by an expert in the area and blindly ignoring it. 

10 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

And the government are failing on all of these.

Plenty of jobs our there at the minutes including full time permanent jobs. Over 1500 permanent jobs within 15 miles of my house after a just search on indeed. whilst there is over 15,000 jobs that temporary with some being permanent if you perform in your role and prove to be assist to the company. With Christmas coming up plenty of companies will need employees to work overtime now. Good chance to earn extra money. 

More and more houses are being built for people to get on the property ladder 

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Firstly they have to eligible for UC and secondly if they are they then have a 5 week wait to receive it. Do you see a slight problem there?

people will be eligible in they are on low incomes.  

1 minute ago, matt83 said:

If you’ve got yourself into a position where you cannot afford to feed your child and don’t know anyone personally that can help. Feckless is treading lightly 

Sorry, Raynor was wrong. There are stronger words for people like you

The issues of better job  prospects, housing, better educated parents, fewer zero hours contracts or none at all unless it suits the people who want them are all long term solutions to child poverty. Were talking about feeding a relatively small number of children for 4 or 5 weeks. That's October half term, Christmas hols and Feb half term. The coldest and most  miserble months of the year. Not feeding them caviar, just one guaranteed meal a day. Surely that's not too much to ask

Edited by gumboots
2 minutes ago, matt83 said:

I’m not advocating it. Just highlighting the problem with a shrinking number of people that contribute vs an expanding number of hands out. 

So are you a supporter of eugenics or not ? It's a simple yes or no question.