1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

Not true. Child poverty has rocketed in the past 10 years.  In 2007-8 there were 22 food banks in the UK; there are now more than 2,000.   Ten years of Tory austerity has delivered record inequality in which the lives of ordinary people has got alot worse.

Yes, but great value has been provided for shareholders. 

Anyone falling by the wayside is feckless and should be abandoned to their fate

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I would offer an insight into the School Meal Voucher scheme being used to provide vouchers to those parents and children that need it desperately.  The scheme is provided by Edenred a co

This sermon is brought to you by the Daily Mail. Victim-blaming repugnant nonsense. 

You need to completely change your perspective. Do you think they don’t realise how dangerous is?  They don’t have other options. Of course it’s dangerous but the alternative, for most, is l

Posted Images

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

As other posters including RoverDom and Matt that's parents should be afford to have a child and not relying on government payments before getting pregnant

You yourself said you might be getting made redundant.  Would you not be wanting the government to give you money until you found a new job? Surely the same thing

Edited by Sparks Rover
14 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

The very fact we're debating who should foot the bill so children dont starve next week shows that successive governments of all colours have failed. 

When Labour left government the child poverty rate was roughly 2.6 million. so why was it so high after 13 years of Labour government and so many these high paid jobs in 2010? I must have most them all in my sector back then. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13377586

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

When Labour left government the child poverty rate was roughly 2.6 million. so why was it so high after 13 years of Labour government and so many these high paid jobs in 2010? I must have most them all in my sector back then. 

No one said it didn't exist under Labour, but there are now 4.5 million children under the official poverty line and that figure is projected to rise to 5.2m by 2022.

You've got me on ignore because you don't like opinions that don't chime with your own but here are the facts anyway.

Perhaps someone could quote this post so you might read  it - though that is unlikely too knowing your previous unwillingness to learn anything at all

https://www.childrenscommissioner.gov.uk/2020/06/22/fact-checking-claims-about-child-poverty/

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

So are you in favour of the government increasing of increasing child benefit and of scrapping the benefit cap and 2 child limit (which the Tories brought in)?

I'm surprised you posted that link Chaddy as it reflects very poorly on successive Tory governments.

I posted the link to show what they were saying including comments about parents paying their child maintenance properly. 

No Ewood, I am in favour of parents being responsible and being able to provide for the children financially unless something happens like redundancy or injury thats lay you off work for a number of weeks/months, etc. As posters including RoverDom and Matt has said that's parents should be afford to have a child and not relying on government payments before getting pregnant. If you know you don't want and can afford children then use the correct protection and take social responsiblity of your actions. If I could have children myself and my partner then I would provide for them myself and do the same thing as my parents did for me. Also making sure that Parents who don't pay anything towards their children they produce pay their child maintenance for them. Cooking lessons/advice for parents to make proper meals like Sunday roast or meatballs, pasta and garlic bread. Better education and career advice to reduce the pregnancy rate under 20's down even more. 

31 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Awful isnt it. Why has it nearly doubled  since then?

The problem is most who have kids thought they COULD provide for them. There have always been those who pop out kids regardless and don't have any real 8nterest in them. I know a few myself. But the majority of people intend to do their best by their kids, even if its a very limited best. The problem is that this pandemic caught people all over the world unawares. People who've worked hard for years to keep food on the table and a roof over their heads are suddenly finding they can't make ends meet. Its those people who need short term solutions to how do I feed my kids tomorrow, not how do I feed my kids long term. In helping them well also help the kids of irresponsible parents too but so what? Its not kids who choose to have irresponsible parents. If we feed kids now we may help them not to become inadequate parents themselves. Who knows? But it can't be right that in 2020 kids in the UK are going to bed hungry

Edited by gumboots
40 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I posted the link to show what they were saying including comments about parents paying their child maintenance properly. 

As posters including RoverDom and Matt has said that's parents should be afford to have a child and not relying on government payments before getting pregnant. If you know you don't want and can afford children then use the correct protection and take social responsiblity of your actions.

So what is your solution to ending child poverty if you aren't in favour of any of the suggestions in the link? Are you perhaps in favour of sterilisation?

Also making sure that Parents who don't pay anything towards their children they produce pay their child maintenance for them. Cooking lessons/advice for parents to make proper meals like Sunday roast or meatballs, pasta and garlic bread. Better education and career advice to reduce the pregnancy rate under 20's down even more. 

Given the increasing rise in, in work poverty and then having to care for a child (and do the overtime that you wanted them to do earlier) when exactly do you expecting these parents to have time to attend all these cookery classes you keep going on about? Also who is paying for these classes and the ingredients used?

Better education and career advice to reduce the pregnancy rate under 20's down even more. 

Not everyone can be as well educated as a superior being like you clearly is. The pregnancy rate for under 20's is falling every year and has done for the last 20 years, more people now have kids in their 40's than in their teens. I'd have though someone as educated as yourself would have known that.

57 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

When Labour came to power in 1997 child poverty was at around 4 million as you yourself have acknowledged that decreased to 2.6 million in 13 years of a Labour government. In the next ten years under a Tory government it has gone back back up and is now at 4.1 million and that figured is expected to rise to 5.2 million in the next 2 years. 

But I'm sure given how educated you are you knew all of this anyway, but just omitted to say it as it isn't exactly a good argument for a Tory government.

Edited by Ewood Ace
18 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Awful isnt it. Why has it nearly doubled  since then?

4.2 million the figure used by children poverty action group. 

I have posted a number of reasons why it gone up and what is needed to get out of this problem. We need proper long term solution to this Child poverty not just a plaster over the problem. 

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I have posted a number of reasons why it gone up and what is needed to get out of this problem. We need proper long term solution to this Child poverty not just a plaster over the problem. 

If you aren’t a parody you are a car crash mate. 
of course we need a long term solution but now is the time to have a heart 

So what is your solution to ending child poverty if you aren't in favour of any of the suggestions in the link? Are you perhaps in favour of sterilisation?

Haven't I already posted them all? 

Given the increasing rise in, in work poverty and then having to care for a child (and do the overtime that you wanted them to do earlier) when exactly do you expecting these parents to have time to attend all these cookery classes you keep going on about? Also who is paying for these classes and the ingredients used?

Plenty cooking recipes and videos online. Plus teaching Children in schools about cooking techniques and healthier food at early age would be helpful

If people want to do overtime then they can. no one is forcing them to do so tho. 

Not everyone can be as well educated as a superior being like you clearly is. The pregnancy rate for under 20's is falling every year and has done for the last 20 years, more people now have kids in their 40's than in their teens. I'd have though someone as educated as yourself would have known that.

Did I say I was well educated. I didn't go to university like many others did. But got a job after college cos it was too expensive to go to University and didnt want any debt at such a early age. Not a job in a sector I wanted at the aged of 16 but in 19 years since It has allowed me to get onto the housing property ladder, driving, Good social life in my early 20's including some of the best nights out/weekend away with friends at that time. Plus me and my current partner had enjoyable life pre Covid-19 days like Weekends away, football away days, day outs. Since Covid 19 happened that has all gone by the away side. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wholeheartedly agree we need a long term solution but what about the actual kids (actual human beings not a number on a news article) that are going hungry now? 

If you fell and sliced your leg open, when the ambulance turned up to pop a bandage on whilst they got you to the hospital, would you turn down their offer to stop the bleeding because you only want a long term solution? 

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Haven't I already posted them all? 

You haven't posted any solutions no. You say a lot of things but you don't offer any solution for how to put them into practice. Also you didn't answer my question about if you would be in favour of sterilisation?

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Plenty cooking recipes and videos online. Plus teaching Children in schools about cooking techniques and healthier food at early age would be helpful

If people want to do overtime then they can. no one is forcing them to do so tho. 

Again you have totally ignored the points I was making. Also I note that you ignored the statistics about the decrease in child poverty in 13 years under Labour and how it is on a continuous rise under the Tories.

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Plus meet my current partner and enjoyable life pre Covid-19 days

That's a bit forward isn't it? I didn't realise this was that type of forum. Blimey.

43 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We need proper long term solution to this Child poverty not just a plaster over the problem. 

Well we're not going to see a long term solution under the Conservatives - their recent actions have proved this.

38 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

I wholeheartedly agree we need a long term solution but what about the actual kids (actual human beings not a number on a news article) that are going hungry now? 

If you fell and sliced your leg open, when the ambulance turned up to pop a bandage on whilst they got you to the hospital, would you turn down their offer to stop the bleeding because you only want a long term solution? 

haven't I said all day since this morning that the government has given councils extra funding which isn't ringfenced so local leaders can decide on what suits their local area best with that money

23 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

You haven't posted any solutions no. You say a lot of things but you don't offer any solution for how to put them into practice. Also you didn't answer my question about if you would be in favour of sterilisation?

I do posted few solutions since Thursday onwards. 

No. 

24 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

That's a bit forward isn't it? I didn't realise this was that type of forum. Blimey.

You knew what I meant. Me and my partner would have weekend holiday around the weekend, go to football away days, days out, meal outs with friends and family. Since Covid happened this has change sadly 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I do posted few solutions since Thursday onwards. 

You offer no solution for how to put anything into practice. Again I see you are ignoring the fact that there was a decrease in child poverty in the 13 years under Labour and that it is now rising every year under the Tories. I know you don't like to see facts like these but they are true and if you really don't want to see an end to child poverty then don't vote Tory.

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

plenty of jobs out there Mike, over sixteen thousands available in different sectors I have posted out there The job I am in isn't the job I wanted for myself 20 years ago but I made the decisions I have made and I live and die by them. I have got on property ladder finally 3 years ago. A job is a job at the current minute., Mike, you can dig all you want about me being able to find a job very quickly in my circumstances or maybe that cos my CV and Job record is impressive that I was able to get a job with big distribution company and good connection with the depot manager in my interviews where he totally understood my situation and what my needs were for the job. The job is going very well and good group of lads I working well. 

my parents bully for me? Yes Mike, My parents were always there for me through my first 6 years of my life through hospital operations with my ears, speech therapy sessions, etc. Then my parents taking me some great family holidays where in Magaluf or Barcelona, or to my dad taking to me first Rovers game or getting interested in Football. They have always been there for me and always will be there. Just like I am for my step daughter on a daily basis regardless of my working hours. 

As I said, good for you. But YET AGAIN you're not understanding that some people CANNOT AFFORD TO FEED THEIR WHOLE FAMILY, let alone go on holidays abroad.

Some people CANNOT afford to spend time with their children, precisely because they need to work to earn the money to feed them (even then it might not be enough).

All that is a failure of Government, not a failure of parenting.

As for the 'education and career advice', that's nonsense. We're talking about teachers, social workers, nurses who can't afford to feed children and that was BEFORE the pandemic.

Edited by Mike E
1 hour ago, Mike E said:

We're talking about teachers, social workers, nurses who can't afford to feed children and that was BEFORE the pandemic.

And how much are teachers and nurses on? 

Fully qualified Nurses salary start on 24k(band 5 nurse) 

https://www.nurses.co.uk/careers-hub/nursing-pay-guide/

Qualified teachers starting salary is 25k. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/teachers-set-for-biggest-pay-rise-in-fifteen-years#:~:text=The pay increase is equivalent,£32%2C157 in inner London.

A newly qualified social worker salary is between 25k to 34k a year salary https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/social-worker

And the average salary for social worker is 49k.https://www.reed.co.uk/average-salary/average-social-worker-salary

27 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/teachers-set-for-biggest-pay-rise-in-fifteen-years#:~:text=The pay increase is equivalent,£32%2C157 in inner London.

A newly qualified social worker salary is between 25k to 34k a year salary https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/social-worker

And the average salary for social worker is 49k.https://www.reed.co.uk/average-salary/average-social-worker-salary

I am with you on this a £25k salary would cover all my regular essential outgoings per month (and I'd consider myself quite wasteful) and leave about £200-300 spare. It wouldnt be a luxurious life but these arent starvation wgaes.

Minimum wage jobs however... that's difficult.

48 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

£25000 is very comfortable for 2 wage-earners in the same household, but even that depends on child-care costs.

But with a couple of young ones at home, a big mortgage, one income of £25000 a year is not much.

To put it into perspective, it costs over £42000 a year to send one child to Eton and Johnson is reportedly struggling on £150000 a year!

3 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

You offer no solution for how to put anything into practice. Again I see you are ignoring the fact that there was a decrease in child poverty in the 13 years under Labour and that it is now rising every year under the Tories. I know you don't like to see facts like these but they are true and if you really don't want to see an end to child poverty then don't vote Tory.

Does this mean you are intending to vote Labour though? :)

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Bugger me, you either really don't get it or are just refusing to. And I'm not sure which is worse.

Edited by Mike E