Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Good luck in whatever you choose to do but I think you should do your research carefully in advance. The UK is one of the most racially tolerant countries in the world and you might be shocked by how a multi cultural family would be regarded by many in Australia and New Zealand. As for the Middle East I take it you already know that human rights in those countries is not on a par with what we are accustomed to here.

The grass is not always greener..........

Can confirm, things are changing for the worse in Australia. The Liberal party (re Conservative) and their coalition partners the National party (started as the country party for farmers etc now funded by the coal lobby)is sliding even more to the Christian* right ,sliding down the American path. 

Definitely do you research if thinking about Australia  and avoid Sky News AU and most of the main media which is owned by Murdoch . Guardian AU is a good source also https://www.michaelwest.com.au/  and https://independentaustralia.net/ for a fairly impartial view.

The above may sound like the rantings of a "lefty", but I can assure you my politics have always been Central ,slightly right leaning and the way Australia is going is worrying. 

*Included under the Christian banner are the cults driven by the dollar like Pentecostals of which the AU PM is one

Edited by perthblue02
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I would offer an insight into the School Meal Voucher scheme being used to provide vouchers to those parents and children that need it desperately.  The scheme is provided by Edenred a co

This sermon is brought to you by the Daily Mail. Victim-blaming repugnant nonsense. 

You need to completely change your perspective. Do you think they don’t realise how dangerous is?  They don’t have other options. Of course it’s dangerous but the alternative, for most, is l

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Good luck in whatever you choose to do but I think you should do your research carefully in advance. The UK is one of the most racially tolerant countries in the world and you might be shocked by how a multi cultural family would be regarded by many in Australia and New Zealand. As for the Middle East I take it you already know that human rights in those countries is not on a par with what we are accustomed to here.

The grass is not always greener..........

In this case it almost certainly is I am afraid. 
 

The Middle East isn’t a forever place but the wages are astronomical out there right now. Not about to miss out on that bubble. 
 

I am not moving out of the country solely because of its racial intolerance, which is quite significant, but because the trend of where we are headed is just all wrong. I don’t really hold much love for GB in truth and it’s just the rock I was born on. The climate and lifestyle of the Oceania countries appeals to me but so does some of the Caribbean countries too. Luckily you can practically move almost anywhere you want in this world if you are both qualified in decent fields. 
 

There’s a lot I am proud about this country and I always want to see Britain be the best, but in terms of living and contributing to it - nah. 500k average house price in London now? People still dying on the streets, lords and ladies still fleecing the nation. It might be no different in Australia but at least the bloody sun shines a bit more there! 

Edited by Dreams of 1995
Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do i keep seeing the word lockdown everywhere,it's nowhere near a proper lockdown,the only thing properly locked down is the entertainment industry,who knows the state that will be in at the end of all this,the rest of the country is the same as usual.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 47er said:

And while we are on the subject of floods let's not forget who made huge and unequal cuts to the flood defence programme.

https://wrp.org.uk/editorials/tories-protect-the-rich-from-floods-while-the-rest-left-to-drown/

It's appalling, the outright bias towards the south, the richest areas, the places that have always voted Conservative. Trouble is, you tell Red Wallers about this and all the other stuff that has been shafting the north for decades and they deny it or just don't want to listen, and then vote for the same lot in the next election. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

It's appalling, the outright bias towards the south, the richest areas, the places that have always voted Conservative. Trouble is, you tell Red Wallers about this and all the other stuff that has been shafting the north for decades and they deny it or just don't want to listen, and then vote for the same lot in the next election. 

I just heard on he radio that the long promised introduction of a Northern version of the public transport " Oyster " card payment system that is being trialed at the moment is going to be scrapped. That's along with cuts to subsidies for Northern public transport systems. So much for " levelling up ".

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 47er said:

And while we are on the subject of floods let's not forget who made huge and unequal cuts to the flood defence programme.

https://wrp.org.uk/editorials/tories-protect-the-rich-from-floods-while-the-rest-left-to-drown/

The good news on floods is, it seems the investment that was made in the past few years has helped massively, especially in The Calder Valley which would almost certainly have seen large scale flooding with the rain/snow over the past few weeks.

I'm not contesting your wider point 47er, but I know the residents and local government officials breathed a sigh of relief this time around as the flood warning was sounded, but the widening of the river and damn fixes on the hills did hold.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I told the Mrs, in no uncertain terms, that we are not having that paper in this house, it’s a shadow of the paper it once was.

Be in no doubt who wears the trousers in this house 👍

 

31BF4632-583B-41D2-BEE5-77F96430E266.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

UK is in a pickle.

Firstly the level of national inequality in output per head:

image.png.96372d013e0e9679eca62522e629aad9.png

 

Secondly inequality in regional wealth generation which is even greater than regional inequality in disposable incomes:

image.png.dccd025f815d475c1b2b183fa78bf3c3.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gav said:

This is a Covid thread 47er....

Have the EHRC found enough evidence to investigate the Tories? 

It seems to me you always look for a way out when it comes to criticism of the Tories and a way in when it comes to putting the boot into Labour.

I note you didn't respond at all when I asked you about Keir Starmer----an opportunity to say something good so you passed up on it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 47er said:

It seems to me you always look for a way out when it comes to criticism of the Tories and a way in when it comes to putting the boot into Labour.

I note you didn't respond at all when I asked you about Keir Starmer----an opportunity to say something good so you passed up on it?

This is a covid thread, I'll be happy to respond in the correct thread 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

So it is! They all merge in my head after a while.

I was wondering why you never praise Starmer for his efforts in combatting anti-Semitism in the Labour Party when you were so continuously critical of Corbyn.

And,(I'd quite forgotten), what's your reaction to Baroness Warsi's accusations about widespread Islamophobia in the Tory party and their failure to address it. No progress since 2019?

Edited by 47er
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, 47er said:

So it is! They all merge in my head after a while.

I was wondering why you never praise Starmer for his efforts in combatting anti-Semitism in the Labour Party when you were so continuously critical of Corbyn.

And,(I'd quite forgotten), what's your reaction to Baroness Warsi's accusations about widespread Islamophobia in the Tory party and their failure to address it. No progress since 2019?

I'm not sure if I was posting in the right thread either!

On Kier, I've been very impressed with his no nonsense approach to anti-Semitism, Long Bailey was sacked and quite right too, he also settled the court cases for unfair dismissal and bullying linked to Corbyn and his cronies, he can't do much more than that, drawing a line under the whole sorry episode. 

On Islamophobia, I saw an interview with Caroline Waters from EHRC, she was on the daily politics show the day the report into Labour came out. When asked why they hadn't investigated the Tories, her answer was they didn't have enough evidence and the evidence they did have was miniscule compared to evidence on anti-Semitism in the Labour party which was overwhelming. 

The Tories have a problem with racism, it should be investigated, but they also have a problem with being callous bastards who don't care about the poorest in society, for that reason alone they should be voted out, but I’m not holding my breath.

Edited by Gav
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Gav said:

I'm not sure if I was posting in the right thread either!

On Kier, I've been very impressed with his no nonsense approach to anti-Semitism, Long Bailey was sacked and quite right too, he also settled the court cases for unfair dismissal and bullying linked to Corbyn and his cronies, he can't do much more than that, drawing a line under the whole sorry episode. 

On Islamophobia, I saw an interview with Caroline Waters from EHRC, she was on the daily politics show the day the report into Labour came out. When asked why they hadn't investigated the Tories, her answer was they didn't have enough evidence and the evidence they did have was miniscule compared to evidence on anti-Semitism in the Labour party which was overwhelming. 

The Tories have a problem with racism, it should be investigated, but they also have a problem with being callous bastards who don't care about the poorest in society, for that reason alone they should be voted out, but I’m not holding my breath.

Ok Gav I'll leave it there. Have a Google though at The EHRC----there's good reason to doubt its even-handedness in

these matters. For a start Its explanation that there was no point in examining the issue when the Tory Party was looking into its own misdemeaners reads very thin to me.

And also don't forget the the EHRC's budget has been slashed by Tory governments  from £71M under Labour to £17M now. Its lost staff and is much less able to hold transgressors to account.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Therese Coffey's interview with Piers Morgan was another train wreck in the history of the worst Cabinet in living memory.

You couldn't  blame Morgan for any of it. When she realised she'd put her foot in it she just accused him of being insulting and hung up!

Bit of irony in her blaming obesity as a factor for Britain having the worst death rate in the world!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/13840346/piers-morgan-gmb-interview-ends-mp-therese-coffey/

 

Edited by 47er
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 47er said:

Ok Gav I'll leave it there. Have a Google though at The EHRC----there's good reason to doubt its even-handedness in

And there it is. The same link I provided yesterday

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/may/12/equalities-watchdog-drops-plan-for-tory-islamophobia-inquiry

You provide the facts over and over again and it still doesn't penetrate 

Edited by jim mk2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.