• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I would offer an insight into the School Meal Voucher scheme being used to provide vouchers to those parents and children that need it desperately.  The scheme is provided by Edenred a co

This sermon is brought to you by the Daily Mail. Victim-blaming repugnant nonsense. 

You need to completely change your perspective. Do you think they don’t realise how dangerous is?  They don’t have other options. Of course it’s dangerous but the alternative, for most, is l

Posted Images

Anneliese Dodds was called out live on-air by Sophy Ridge after the shadow chancellor dodged a question on a huge Labour policy U-turn. Sophy Ridge grilled the shadow chancellor ahead of Rishi Sunak's Budget on Wednesday. Ms Ridge pointed out that Ms Dodds stood on a Labour manifesto in 2019 calling for higher corporation tax - but now party leader Keir Starmer has said Labour was against taxing corporations to pay for the pandemic.

Anneliese Dodds left squirming as Sophy Ridge exposes huge Labour policy U-turn (msn.com)

27 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Anneliese Dodds was called out live on-air by Sophy Ridge after the shadow chancellor dodged a question on a huge Labour policy U-turn. Sophy Ridge grilled the shadow chancellor ahead of Rishi Sunak's Budget on Wednesday. Ms Ridge pointed out that Ms Dodds stood on a Labour manifesto in 2019 calling for higher corporation tax - but now party leader Keir Starmer has said Labour was against taxing corporations to pay for the pandemic.

Anneliese Dodds left squirming as Sophy Ridge exposes huge Labour policy U-turn (msn.com)

Calling for an increase in Corporation Tax was a no brainer pre pandemic. Now it needs much more consideration.  

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Calling for an increase in Corporation Tax was a no brainer pre pandemic. Now it needs much more consideration.  

If Labour aren't careful here they're going to find themselves voting/aligning with right wing conservatives on this point.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I didn't see it but I'm surprised she couldn't give a decent answer. I'd have simply said, "we have always argued for an increase in Corporation tax, indeed we argued strenuously when the Conservatives lowered it. However we do not believe it should be increased when thousands of businesses are in danger of going under. The time to increase it is when the economy has recovered." 

What's hard about that? If she can't manage that she shouldn't be in the job.

I don't hold that point of view myself by the way!!

4 hours ago, 47er said:

I didn't see it but I'm surprised she couldn't give a decent answer. I'd have simply said, "we have always argued for an increase in Corporation tax, indeed we argued strenuously when the Conservatives lowered it. However we do not believe it should be increased when thousands of businesses are in danger of going under. The time to increase it is when the economy has recovered." 

She was awful 47er, it was 10 minutes of nothing, even Marr looked bored at the lack of any substance in the answers coming back from her.

Its a long road back for Labour, especially if they oppose increases to corporation tax with the ring wing of the Tory party.

Edited by Gav
44 minutes ago, Gav said:

She was awful 47er, it was 10 minutes of nothing, even Marr looked bored of the lack of any substance in the questions being put to her.

Its a long road back for Labour, especially if they oppose increases to corporation tax with the ring wing of the Tory party.

I've watched both interviews by Sunak and Dobbs on Sky 1st then the BBC. 

Dobbs had no really proper answers to any questions posed by Rigby or Marr about possible corporation tax rise but went on talking about council tax rises of 5%

23 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Dobbs had no really proper answers to any questions posed by Rigby or Marr

Nor did Super spreader Sunak though his answers were basically wait until Wednesday to find out.

55 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Nor did Super spreader Sunak though his answers were basically wait until Wednesday to find out.

well Ewood, Parliament and MP's must be told first. Speaker Hoyle has complain a number of times in the past at things being leaked to the press before the House of Commons is told first 

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

well Ewood, Parliament and MP's must be told first. Speaker Hoyle has complain a number of times in the past at things being leaked to the press before the House of Commons is told first 

That didn't stop them briefing Johnson's 'roadmap' to the press last week and good amount of the budget will be leaked to the press before 12:30PM on Wednesday.

Also why send Sunak out today to do the media rounds if he can't/won't answer the questions, why not send him out next week instead? Of course we all know the answer to that and it is because he'd have to answer questions about his bidget rather than hiding behind his wait and see answers.

4 hours ago, 47er said:

Exactly.

3 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Amazing when you consider just how much they’ve screwed up and especially re the corruption!

......not to mention footballers shaming them into providing cash for hungry kids

49 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The Budget details have already been flagged in the broadsheets which of course you don't read so you wouldn't know.

Tax increases all round, though Tory donors and the wealthy elite are going beserk at the prospect.

Stealth tax increases by freezing Income tax thresholds, pushing people into higher tax bands as their pay rises; another “stealth” move — freezing the lifetime pensions allowance at just over £1m for the rest of the parliament — was reported in the Times on Friday.

Corporation taxes going up from 19 to 25 per cent over 3 years. 

There's lots more he could do. End the capital gains tac exemption for primary home sales, and tax the buy-to-let market to within an inch of its life.

Also tax the hell out of rich tossers who think "getting the builders in" is a legitimate profit making enterprise. Like the one on the TV last week.  Bought a house at just shy of £800,000  and is now trying to flip it (six months later) for £1.4m. It's a two-up two-down.

50 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

That didn't stop them briefing Johnson's 'roadmap' to the press last week and good amount of the budget will be leaked to the press before 12:30PM on Wednesday.

Also why send Sunak out today to do the media rounds if he can't/won't answer the questions, why not send him out next week instead? Of course we all know the answer to that and it is because he'd have to answer questions about his bidget rather than hiding behind his wait and see answers.

I watched Johnson's roadmap speech to parliament on Monday. Dont take much notice of things leak to the papers..

The press wanted to speak to Sunak today. 

Sunak will do Thursday Morning shows and will answers questions to MP'S on Wednesday Afternoon 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The press wanted to speak to Sunak today. 

The press speak to whoever the government put up.

Dont take much notice of things leak to the papers..

How convenient.

12 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

The Budget details have already been flagged in the broadsheets which of course you don't read so you wouldn't know.

Cos I got much more important things to do like working, sleeping, spending time with my missus, cooking and baking, watching football. Clearly you have more time on your hands then myself

I will watch the Budget speech on Wednesday for the details. 

Cos I got much more important things to do like working, sleeping, spending time with my missus, cooking and baking, watching football

You'd learn alot more by reading than watching football. 

1 minute ago, Ewood Ace said:

Why not it will save you time and you will know what is going to be said sooner.

I rather watch Parliament and Sunak's budget speech for all the details. Thanks 👌

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

You'd learn alot more by reading than watching football. 

Why wouldn't I want to watch football, plus cooking and baking.  👍

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Dobbs had no really proper answers to any questions posed by Rigby or Marr about possible corporation tax rise but went on talking about council tax rises of 5%

Welcome to our world for the last 14 months of a johnson government. 

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wait for the detail of the budget by listening to Sunak just like I did with the roadmap with Johnson

To put the measures in context, to learn what alternatives there were that he didn't take, to understand the implications of the Budget measures for the various groups in society you need to read some commentary, preferably lots of it.

You won't get the answers simply from listening to the budget.

Roy Greenslade: I cheered on the IRA from Fleet Street — you just didn’t read all about it

He worked as a senior editor on Britain’s biggest newspapers, including The Sunday Times, the Sun, The Guardian, Mirror. All the while keeping secret his support for Irish paramilitaries. Now a member of Sinn Féin, Roy Greenslade explains why he still thinks the atrocities were justified

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fleet-street-editor-roy-greenslade-reveals-his-secret-support-for-the-ira-and-refuses-to-apologise-592w90jrz

https://mol.im/a/9310337

https://mol.im/a/9307983