6 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

You are certainly very good at judging a lot of people based on the relatively small pool of opinions you’ll be subject to 

It wouldn’t be correct to say that issue is simply consigned to English people either

Of course it isn’t confined to English people.

from wiki...

Since the 2010s (especially due to the 2016 Brexit referendum)[2] the term has become a popular derogatory way to describe a xenophobic English person who thinks England is superior to all other countries, shows support for English nationalism,[3] and does not believe in working together with other countries unless it benefits England.[4] The insult "gammon" has been used in British political culture for similar reasons since 2012.[5]

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I would offer an insight into the School Meal Voucher scheme being used to provide vouchers to those parents and children that need it desperately.  The scheme is provided by Edenred a co

This sermon is brought to you by the Daily Mail. Victim-blaming repugnant nonsense. 

You need to completely change your perspective. Do you think they don’t realise how dangerous is?  They don’t have other options. Of course it’s dangerous but the alternative, for most, is l

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, den said:

Of course it isn’t confined to English people.

from wiki...

Since the 2010s (especially due to the 2016 Brexit referendum)[2] the term has become a popular derogatory way to describe a xenophobic English person who thinks England is superior to all other countries, shows support for English nationalism,[3] and does not believe in working together with other countries unless it benefits England.[4] The insult "gammon" has been used in British political culture for similar reasons since 2012.[5]

Ok, so given it is a derogatory way to describe xenophobic people, and you posted on here "to all the Little Englanders" - who are you insulting / referring to on here?

1 minute ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Ok, so given it is a derogatory way to describe xenophobic people, and you posted on here "to all the Little Englanders" - who are you insulting / referring to on here?

It's just a phrase and one that has been around for centuries. No need to get so worked up about it.

2 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

It's just a phrase and one that has been around for centuries. No need to get so worked up about it.

I'm not worked up EA. Just asking den a question that had absolutely nowt to do with you in truth. I just wanted to know if he thought somebody on here was a Little Englander or if it was just a general remark.

He'll reply civilly, as he always does, and we will move on

Edited by Dreams of 1995

It was a comment to anyone who holds those views Dreams. It wasn’t posted with any individual in mind. That doesn’t mean none of our posters do have those views though. 

The point of the article is far more important than my comment to any little Englanders we might have. You’re looking for a personal attack and there isn’t one.

1 minute ago, den said:

It was a comment to anyone who holds those views Dreams. It wasn’t posted with any individual in mind. That doesn’t mean none of our posters do have those views though. 

The point of the article is far more important than my comment to any little Englanders we might have. You’re looking for a personal attack and there isn’t one.

I was more querying the use of Little Englanders really but you've answered my question anyway

I disagree that this is a "Little England" policy, but I do agree that withholding aid to Yemen whilst selling arms to Saudi is wrong and not in the nature of how I'd like Britain to become

14 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Another reveal  @chaddyrovers. At this rate you won't need to watch it as it will all be out in the media before he speaks to the commons. What was it you were saying the other day about having to tell the Commons first.

Budget 2021: Furlough set to be extended - Kwasi Kwarteng - BBC News

There was a time when the most trivial leak of budget details would be enough to get you fired. Not with this shower.

The pride of Little Englanders... where else but the Daily Mail of course.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2020425/We-proud-Little-Englanders-Rebirth-confident-English-identity.html

Send in the Spitfires! Huns over Beachy Head! We love Dame Vera! Fish and chips and warm beer!

It needs to be read because it's this sort of drivel that led to Brexit... and it's these sort of people who've been campaigning for years for cuts in overseas aid. In their eyes, we shouldn't pay a penny.

It has to be said that some overseas aid is wasted, some gets in the wrong hands, and some is badly targeted. The risks are high and the dividends uncertain.

But if you believe that fighting extreme poverty around the world is both the right thing for the UK to do, and something for the UK to be proud of, then cutting aid to Yemen in the middle of humanitarian crisis is indefensible

Overseas aid costs about 7p in every £10 pounds of government spending. Is it really so much?

On 28/02/2021 at 15:50, chaddyrovers said:

well Ewood, Parliament and MP's must be told first. Speaker Hoyle has complain a number of times in the past at things being leaked to the press before the House of Commons is told first 

And another leak. It seems as though the speakers complaints fell on death ears.

Exclusive: £300m summer sports survival package to be announced in Budget - with cricket the big winner (telegraph.co.uk)

8 hours ago, den said:

Change it to something else if you like Dreams, I don’t mind.

Little Englanders to me is a good description of the many people who always see anything going out of this country as bad. In fact, they see anything going to anyone else apart from themselves as bad.

Selfish people who have no idea of the wider implications of their beliefs.

19 hours ago, den said:

Little Englanders to me is a good description of the many people who always see anything going out of this country as bad. 

Would you say the term describes people who were pissed off seeing jobs leaving the country during 70’s/80’s under Thatcher?

Car industry

Truck building

Manufacturing

Steel Industry

Textiles

The Ashes 😄

54 minutes ago, Gav said:

Would you say the term describes people who were pissed off seeing jobs leaving the country during 70’s/80’s under Thatcher?

Car industry

Truck building

Manufacturing

Steel Industry

Textiles

The Ashes 😄

I’ve quoted from wiki their description of a little Englander.

you wouldn’t be trying to defend these people would you Gav?

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Car industry

Truck building

Manufacturing

Steel Industry

Textiles

The Ashes 😄

All those industries bar textiles were all just collateral damage in Mrs Thatchers war on organised labour. Which side were you on Gav ? I know where I stood.

1 hour ago, den said:

I’ve quoted from wiki their description of a little Englander.

you wouldn’t be trying to defend these people would you Gav?

I asked you a question in response to you saying:

Little Englanders to me is a good description of the many people who always see anything going out of this country as bad. 

I'm just trying to understand what you mean.

38 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

All those industries bar textiles were all just collateral damage in Mrs Thatchers war on organised labour. Which side were you on Gav ? I know where I stood.

I'm sure you didn't want those jobs going overseas TS, which by dens definition, if I've understood him correctly, makes you a little Englander? and me too!

They came for the ship builders but I wasn't a ship builder so that was alright. They came for the steel workers but I wasn't a steel worker so no problem there. They came for the print workers but they only printed lies anyway so I'm not too bothered about them. They came for the miners but they were all communists anyway so fuck 'em as well

Eventually, one by one, they came for us all. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Never a truer word. 

Break the unions into submission and if the industries they work in go too, they didn't care because they were in Labour-voting areas. 

Who are they coming for next? 

Little Englanders to me is a mindset typified by blindly patriotic Brexit voters who regard "wogs" as starting at Calais. Two world cups and one world one tra-la-la. There's one or two examples on here. 

Edited by jim mk2

The next time someone tells you the BBC is a 'leftie' organisation, just show them of this piece of Tory propaganda that they have put out this morning. 

You have a different idea of 'propaganda' to me EA..lol

You had the editor of the Mirror talking about his Help out to Eat out controversy; the MP talking about his failure to include the 'excluded'; the editor calling him a "traditional low tax Tory MP".

It wasn't all positive but the BBC has provided balance in a right wing paper (Spectator), left wing paper (Mirror) and a MP. What was wrong with that? We saw the good, heard the bad and his background laid out before us.....what would you have liked to see????

40 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

You have a different idea of 'propaganda' to me EA..lol

You had the editor of the Mirror talking about his Help out to Eat out controversy; the MP talking about his failure to include the 'excluded'; the editor calling him a "traditional low tax Tory MP".

It wasn't all positive but the BBC has provided balance in a right wing paper (Spectator), left wing paper (Mirror) and a MP. What was wrong with that? We saw the good, heard the bad and his background laid out before us.....what would you have liked to see????

The " Mirror " might be a traditionally Labour Party supporting newspaper but it's no longer left wing and it hasn't been for decades. It's no more left wing than " The Guardian ". The only left wing paper that you can buy in a newsagents is " The Morning Star ".

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

I only watched the first minute or so but the gist that I got was that hes had a quick rise so not had chance to make enemies or cause scandal. 

If my boss said in my annual review "you've not been here long enough for people to hate you" I wouldnt take that as a ringing endorsement. 

BBC - new director general is ex Tory councillor and deputy chairman of his local Tory party

BBC - new chairman has donated more than £400,000 to the Tories

BBC senior political staff dominated by journalists with former Tory party connections

The BBC is biased all right