37 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

The rail and bus systems in this country are a bloody disgrace. The bus system seems to get worse by the year and nearly 60 years on the rail system is still crippled by Beeching. I've been to a lot of countries and I haven't been to any nation that is of a decent international standing that has a rail system that is as bad as ours. 

The bus system in London is superb, the trains aren't bad either for the casual traveller, but that shouldn't surprise anyone.

North of Watford is a different matter.

16 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

If Labour don't change their direction and their leader soon then the next election will soon become unwinnable. 

Labour are at least 10yrs away from government, it doesn't matter which direction they travel or who is driving the bus.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I would offer an insight into the School Meal Voucher scheme being used to provide vouchers to those parents and children that need it desperately.  The scheme is provided by Edenred a co

This sermon is brought to you by the Daily Mail. Victim-blaming repugnant nonsense. 

You need to completely change your perspective. Do you think they don’t realise how dangerous is?  They don’t have other options. Of course it’s dangerous but the alternative, for most, is l

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Gav said:

The bus system in London is superb, the trains aren't bad either for the casual traveller, but that shouldn't surprise anyone.

That's stretching it a bit Gav. I'd say they were decent and of a standard the rest of UK should aspire to. But they do get very crowded. I have frequently failed to get on services, although the good bit is that there is usually another one right behind.

7 minutes ago, Gav said:

North of Watford is a different matter.

It's not just north either the rail system down here in the South West is abysmal, destroyed by Beeching cuts. 

Beeching's henchman, Transport minister Ernest Marples, was the real villain. He owned with his wife Marples Ridgway, a road construction company, so he commissioned a report from Beeching that recommended closing down thousands of miles of railways, to the benefit of Marples Ridgway! Then he fled the country to escape the taxman. The archetypal corrupt Tory

There's another niche bad decision in the Budget.

At first glance the decision to freeze the Lifetime Allowance for pension funds at just over £1m might look to be something only of interest to the very rich. But the effect will be that thousands of NHS doctors will now be effectively forced out, as staying within the NHS will result in them owing more tax than they are paid at the margin. It's been an issue for a few years now but freezing it for five years means that it will quickly move from affecting a smallish number of long serving doctors to moving into the mainstream. Just what we need.

It will affect more than doctors of course - it's just that I know a bit about doctors and their pensions.

7 minutes ago, only2garners said:

That's stretching it a bit Gav. I'd say they were decent and of a standard the rest of UK should aspire to. But they do get very crowded. I have frequently failed to get on services, although the good bit is that there is usually another one right behind.

Maybe the expectation is dumbed down somewhat o2g, but they're light years ahead of anywhere else in the country in my experience. When I worked in London I avoided the tube as much as possible, the buses were excellent and as you say plentiful. 

15 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

It's not just north either the rail system down here in the South West is abysmal, destroyed by Beeching cuts. 

A few years ago we went to Wolves, it took a few of our group longer to get from Clitheroe to Preston (18 miles) than it did for us all to get from Preston to Wolverhampton (96 miles).

That tells you all you need to know about the rail system in UK. 

12 minutes ago, Gav said:

Maybe the expectation is dumbed down somewhat o2g, but they're light years ahead of anywhere else in the country in my experience. When I worked in London I avoided the tube as much as possible, the buses were excellent and as you say plentiful. 

Indeed they are much better than anywhere else. It's just "superb" I was questioning - they are just at the standard we should all aspire to.

39 minutes ago, den said:

Been thinking of a Tesla but they’re too expensive by far, although the model 2 sounds like it might be affordable. 

The E-Golf isn’t a bad alternative for a small car den.

Edited by Gav

If your commute is less than 10 miles then you really should be looking to do it bike, mine is just under 10 with a bloody great hill in the way and I do it (in normal times) at least 3 times a week. Just before this lockdown was announced my office was in the process of opening back up, partially, and I ordered an eBike on the Cycle 2 Work scheme with the intention of upping my commmute to 5 days a week. We ended up going into Tier 3 and that put paid to that for now.  My commute, door to door, takes 38 minutes in and 43 minutes home and never varies by more than  a couple of minutes. Train is at least 45 mins,

Now I'm lucky as we have secure parking and changing rooms and showers, but if you don't want to get tooo sweaty and eBike is brilliant

We had a power down of the building and associated BCP test so I have had a chance to use the eBike in anger in November. Cycle to the office, out to our Romofrd DC for testing, back to the office and then home, just over 60 miles on the Saturday and although I was tired, it was a revelation.

Edited by Jimbo
16 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

If your commute is less than 10 miles then you really should be looking to do it bike, mine is just under 10 with a bloody great hill in the way and I do it (in normal times) at least 3 times a week. Just before this lockdown was announced my office was in the process of opening back up, partially, and I ordered an eBike on the Cycle 2 Work scheme with the intention of upping my commmute to 5 days a week. We ended up going into Tier 3 and that put paid to that for now.  My commute, door to door, takes 38 minutes in and 43 minutes home and never varies by more than  a couple of minutes. Train is at least 45 mins,

Now I'm lucky as we have secure parking and changing rooms and showers, but if you don't want to get tooo sweaty and eBike is brilliant

We had a power down of the building and associated BCP test so I have had a chance to use the eBike in anger in November. Cycle to the office, out to our Romofrd DC for testing, back to the office and then home, just over 60 miles on the Saturday and although I was tired, it was a revelation.

If I were in the office I'd love to cycle to be honest - however if I were to do it it would be partially for exercise reasons but we have nothing in the way of showers or anything. There's a few of us trying to push for things like that to get the office to be more environmentally friendly but this will take time as our management can be stubborn at the best of times!

One thing I would like as I have to do a lot of driving when I'm not working from home is to replace my car with a hybrid but that won't happen until I have a budget that can accommodate the expense, especially as I have to abide by certain rules to carry passengers from abroad and such at times. 

All irrelevant at the moment as like many I'm 12 months into working from home, but it's nice to dream!

31 minutes ago, Gav said:

Cycling in London Jimbo? You're a brave man.

You'd be surprised - Yes it can be hellish and I've had my fair share of close passes, but the infrastructure is getting better all the time. If I was more timid then I could  commute all the way in on quietways and didicated cycle route, but it would be longer and although flatter not as enjoyable - most of my route is along 20mph roads which although not segregated, being 20mph means I can keep up with the traffic and I'm not getting passed at speed.

I did notice in Lockdown #1 with less traffic out and about the few times I commuted were a mixed blessing.Yes it was quieter, but less traffic meant some of the nutjobs were treating the roads like a racetrack.

This would be my route If I could be bothered to cycle out to Lewisham but that would add 20 minutes to my journey and I like my bed too much for that.

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

No its just normal working people lives. I work in Preston area just off Junction 31a on the M6. Its a 20 minutes journey each time. why would anyone want to have longer travel journey time then needed? I wouldnt want that. 

Plus driving was always something I wanted to do from a early age and give me more job opportunities from it.

Plus it depends on the car you drive aswell on the Carbon emissions surely? Some manufacturers are better than others. 

Plus what about people who don't want to use public transport due to personal choice?

Any thoughts about the planet Chaddy?

7 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

The reason we've had the worst peacetime economic downturn since 1709 - THREE HUNDRED YEARS - is because your beloved government deliberately allowed the virus to spread like wildfire in the early stages, then provoked further outbreaks with Sunak's absurd £850 million Eat Out To Help Out bribery scheme last summer, and Johnson's obsession with encouraging people to socially mix at Christmas.

More rubbish Jim. 

Every restaurant and Pub I went to during the Eat Out To Help Out scheme was well managed in terms of hygiene and Covid secure. So.is the best you got Jim? 

People didnt have to.mix all because they could. People were responsible for their own actions. Did you social mix with family at Christmas? 

7 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Whatabbouttery from 2008 - is that the best you can offer ???

Is that best comment when you are member of that party and never complained when Blair and Brown did it. 

On 03/03/2021 at 22:42, jim mk2 said:

The separate Towns Fund for England confirmed it has £1bn in cash for 45 areas. Of these, 40 have a Conservative MP.

Excellent news as my MP has secure this my town. 125k for Hyndburn and 125k for Haslingden town. This money needs to put to good use and improve our town centre for all ages of community. 

6 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

If Labour don't change their direction and their leader soon then the next election will soon become unwinnable. 

How would you like Starmer to change direction and policies then? 

Also would you change leader now then if you a vote in the Labour leader vote? 

Also @jim mk2 would do this about Ewood post and suggesting a change of leader or policies? Would you be in favour of that? 

7 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

The rail and bus systems in this country are a bloody disgrace.

Its been a couple of years since I used either and I cant say I will used them in the future. 

Last time I used a train was a couple of years to get home from Blackpool friendly game. Wasnt a great experience. I enjoyed the train journey to York but that's was a few years ago..

6 hours ago, only2garners said:

Clearly carbon emissions are greater with some cars than others. But we have to move away from fossil fuels towards electric vehicles and increasing the fuel duty is a simple and fair way to push people quicker towards that. Those with better fuel efficiency will be less affected by fuel duty increasing than those with gas guzzlers. But all are being unfairly subsidised by public transport users and those who rarely use either through general taxation.

Where are Electric vehicles charging ports going to place in a normal terrace street? Plus every work is going to have install them on their sites. It's going billions of pounds to install and more cost for normal working person. 

It ain't logical or feasible to use public transport to get to work or back currently cos of time taken and other factors. 

6 hours ago, only2garners said:

Of ourse people can have personal choice but why should people who choose to drive a car be subsidised by all those who can't or choose not to drive? 

People who choose to drive spend thousands of pounds per year on Fuel, buying new cars, insurance and road tax. Wouldnt exactly say it subsidised at all considering the overall cost. 

13 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

1% pay rise for the nurses - a fine reward for 12 months of hard work and sacrifice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56285087

Couldn't agree more.

Add to the list care workers and the rest of public sector for that matter who have kept this country ticking over during the worst pandemic in our lifetime. 

This government can waste billions on private companies, but can only find 1% for nurses?

I don't know how they sleep at night...

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Excellent news as my MP has secure this my town. 125k for Hyndburn and 125k for Haslingden town. This money needs to put to good use and improve our town centre for all ages of community. 

When they were running the tram into Rochdale there was a plan to put a tram stop half way down the route from the railway station to the tram terminus in the town centre. The stop was abandoned on the grounds of cost. The cost of a simple tram stop ten years ? - £250k.

So your £125k isn't going to go far these days.

By the way, the trams are brilliant.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

£37,000,000,000 for test and trace

£3.50p for Nurses.

I expect Chaddy around any minute to defend that one.

Edited by den
8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Where are Electric vehicles charging ports going to place in a normal terrace street? Plus every work is going to have install them on their sites. It's going billions of pounds to install and more cost for normal working person. 

It ain't logical or feasible to use public transport to get to work or back currently cos of time taken and other factors. 

People who choose to drive spend thousands of pounds per year on Fuel, buying new cars, insurance and road tax. Wouldnt exactly say it subsidised at all considering the overall cost. 

You give the impression that because there are some hard issues to sort out with electric car infrastructure that we shouldn't do it. There isn't going to be a choice very soon. Already many manufacturers are saying they will only be making electric cars from 2015 on, which is only 4 years away. In 10 years petrol and diesel cars are going to be much harder to find even on the second hand market. The only viable alternative to moving to electric is hydrogen, which has its own issues. 

Electric car charging points are expanding rapidly and fairly soon the majority of households that can't have their own charger will have one available nearby. Charging points at employers will be useful too although they won't be necessary everywhere.

The fact that public transport isn't easy for your particular journey to work doesn't negate the fact that it is vital for many millions of people. We are in a position now where millions of poorer people who rely on public transport are subsidising those who can afford their own transport.

There are people who choose to drive and spend a lot of money doing so but a big part of that decision is because they can afford to because of the fact that their transport is being made artificially cheaper by Government policy compared to the alternative. The overall cost of something being large doesn't stop it being subsidised - it should actually be a lot more expensive.

If the tax on petrol had doubled over the last 10 years in the same way that public transport fares have, then petrol would be getting close to £2 a litre. At that price an awful lot of people would be making different decisions about their transport.

14 hours ago, Gav said:

Cycling in London Jimbo? You're a brave man.

I've done quite a bit of riding in and around London over the years. The infrastructure there is considerably better than elsewhere in the country, which has led to a huge rise in the numbers cycling regularly and more importantly has created a mass of cycle traffic which in itself makes everyone safer. I can ride from my son's house in Forest Gate right into central London using dedicated separate cycle lanes all the way bar the first few hundred metres.

You just need to be assertive* and wear the right kit both on you and on the bike.

* That's assertive, not aggressive. There are a small minority of cyclists who flagrantly break traffic rules and are aggressive to other road users, just as there motorists who behave badly.

14 hours ago, Gav said:

The E-Golf isn’t a bad alternative for a small car den.

We have had a Renault Zoe for nearly 4 years now - it's brilliant.When we first got it we drove down to my son in London and that was a bit of a pain with having to re-charge twice each way, but the chargers have got a lot quicker now and newer cars have better ranges so I imagine that's less of an issue now.

The initial cost of electric cars is high but running costs are very much lower, both the cost of the electric charging and also servicing - hardly any moving parts so much cheaper to service.

We're just at the stage of moving from two cars to one. I am sure we will move to one electric car but the conundrum is that the Zoe is a bit small to be that one car, mainly in boot space. So I'm currently contemplating replacing both the Zoe and the Skoda Octavia with one car a bit bigger than the Zoe. As someone who has had Skoda cars for years the new Enyaq looks quite likely despite the silly name.