• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I would offer an insight into the School Meal Voucher scheme being used to provide vouchers to those parents and children that need it desperately.  The scheme is provided by Edenred a co

This sermon is brought to you by the Daily Mail. Victim-blaming repugnant nonsense. 

You need to completely change your perspective. Do you think they don’t realise how dangerous is?  They don’t have other options. Of course it’s dangerous but the alternative, for most, is l

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, only2garners said:

We are in a position now where millions of poorer people who rely on public transport are subsidising those who can afford their own transport.

Again, I'm struggling with this. The UK public transport system is very heavily subsidised? By contrast the UK earns 40bn annually from various taxes on cars - fuel duty, car tax, congestion charges / tolls. This vs annual expenditure of about 10bn on roads (I think highways england budget is roughly 5bn and then another 4-6bn spent on local roads). When you consider that public transport also use these roads as well as e.g. lorrys, that full cost isnt even driven (pun) by just car users.

Public transport users are not subsidising anything if anything it's the other way round. 

16 minutes ago, den said:

Don’t do small cars Gav.

Tesla aren't huge cars den.

We have model 3's at work, small car really, blistering performance, 350 miles on a single charge, but not cheap.

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Every restaurant and Pub I went to during the Eat Out To Help Out scheme was well managed in terms of hygiene and Covid secure. So.is the best you got Jim? 

Let's just hope that they didn't use the governments utterly shambolic test and trace system. Because if they did then you have no idea how Covid secure it was.

COVID-19: Test and Trace barely used check-in data from pubs and restaurants - with thousands not warned of infection risk | Science & Tech News | Sky News

19 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Starmer's far too polite. It's more than "fishy", it stinks

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56281774

First rule of politics Jim, " Reward your friends and punish your enemies ". The Tories do it all the time whilst the Labour Party never does it. Which leads me to wonder who the Labour Parties enemies really are ?

18 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

The rail and bus systems in this country are a bloody disgrace. The bus system seems to get worse by the year and nearly 60 years on the rail system is still crippled by Beeching. I've been to a lot of countries and I haven't been to any nation that is of a decent international standing that has a rail system that is as bad as ours. 

Bus fares are outrageous. The last time I got on a bus to travel about 5 miles I told the driver " No mate, I don't want to buy the bus, I just want a ticket to Rochdale ! "

Pre Bike I used the buses in London a lot. I had a zone 1- 4 season ticket, so all TFL travel was covered and used to get the bus or tram far more than I should have, because I'd paid for it. The bike put paid to that - Saved £2K in season ticket costs, replaced with pay as you go Oyster @ £400ish per year, so in the 4 years I've been cycling to work I've saved in the region of £6.5K - The bikes have obviously taken a chunk of that, but I'm still up on the deal.

We've recently bought a new car, petrol not electric, and financially it makes no sense at all. Since we got it in October we have driven the grand total of 296 miles but the missus isn't as keen as I am for walking to the shops, so we've got a car and I can guarentee I will cycle 5 times the distance I drive.

21 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

1% pay rise for the nurses - a fine reward for 12 months of hard work and sacrifice.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56285087

Nurses making a stand against this corrupt government

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56288237

Apart from a few rabid right wingers the nation will be behind them

7 hours ago, Gav said:

Couldn't agree more.

Add to the list care workers and the rest of public sector for that matter who have kept this country ticking over during the worst pandemic in our lifetime. 

This government can waste billions on private companies, but can only find 1% for nurses?

I don't know how they sleep at night...

Two reasons I think:

1 They have no morals. Can't think of any ethical system which would say this is ok. 

2 Not enough people care and stand up to them pressuring them into doing what is morally right. 

What's even more crushing about it is that none of the successful elements of the response to Covid, including the vaccine programme would be possible without healthcare staff going above and beyond what is expected of them. Just thinking of one caseload I know of - if health care didn't do far more than their fair share of caseloads, didn't keep going when rest was needed a long time ago, then quite simply the system would be stuffed. 

These people are owed some recompense and thanks. More than a bit of a clap. Still I guess Boris has a flat to renovate and his mates pockets to fill. 

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Nurses making a stand against this corrupt government

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56288237

Apart from a few rabid right wingers the nation will be behind them

Can you imagine a strike right now, with all the Covid patients in hospital? 

I'm not against them striking, its an insult to the entire public sector, but they need to be careful with timings and I guess the current rules won't allow an immediate strike anyway. 

Edited by Gav

Billions and billions £££ wasted on test and trace whilst local authorities had systems that worked perfectly well, but the government wanted to line the pockets of private companies before conceding defeat and handing it to local government teams...

Now we have them crying poverty and can only offer 1% pay increase to NHS staff.

How do these ****s sleep at night? 

On the subject of NHS pay, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said that the government has “proposed what we think is affordable".

On Thursday, the government recommended a 1% pay increase for NHS staff (excluding doctors and dentists) to the staff’s pay review body.

Currently, the NHS spends almost half of its budget on staff – a 1% pay increase across the board for 2021-22 could cost as much as £500m.

The government has also argued that a 1% increase would be above inflation, which is currently at 0.7%. However, the Office for Budget Responsibility forecasts that it could rise to 1.5% within the year, which would make the 1% increase a real-terms pay cut.

We're getting 3% this year and we've been entirely pointless through the pandemic, kick in the teeth for nurses when other public sector employees are getting half decent rises. 

9 hours ago, Gav said:

Tesla aren't huge cars den.

We have model 3's at work, small car really, blistering performance, 350 miles on a single charge, but not cheap.

2 boots though and feckin fast.  Costs feck all on the company car tax too....

We have a Tesla Model 3 arriving in June/July .....the wifes new car..

4 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

According to Mat Watson of carwow, the best EV in the world.

12 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Saves £300+ a month on BIK against traditional company cars.

Bit of advice, use the auto pilot wherever possible, takes a bit of getting used to, but saves the speeding tickets and points 🙄

Edited by Gav
5 hours ago, Blue blood said:

These people are owed some recompense and thanks. More than a bit of a clap. Still I guess Boris has a flat to renovate and his mates pockets to fill. 

I think Boris is owed the clap.

How on earth can anyone who has been living on planet earth for the past 12 months justify a 1% pay increase, how can that idiot Hancock try to defend it? 

I've sat around many a boardroom table having difficult conversations, people with politics driven agendas where nobody will speak out due to fear of losing the job, but this isn't even debatable, nobody can justify an offer of 1%, its a disgrace, how did they manage to come to this conclusion? 

Our nurses and care workers have spent the last 12 months caring for hundreds of thousands of people, many of whom have actually died in their arms, devastated families, crap and non existent PPE, but we're getting through the worst of it, until these ******* morons come up with 1% pay increase. 

Angry doesn't even come close.

2 hours ago, Gav said:

How on earth can anyone who has been living on planet earth for the past 12 months justify a 1% pay increase, how can that idiot Hancock try to defend it? 

I've sat around many a boardroom table having difficult conversations, people with politics driven agendas where nobody will speak out due to fear of losing the job, but this isn't even debatable, nobody can justify an offer of 1%, its a disgrace, how did they manage to come to this conclusion? 

Our nurses and care workers have spent the last 12 months caring for hundreds of thousands of people, many of whom have actually died in their arms, devastated families, crap and non existent PPE, but we're getting through the worst of it, until these ******* morons come up with 1% pay increase. 

Angry doesn't even come close.

Putting the morality of this to one side for a minute - how is this going to 1) Attract the new nurses we need 2) Retain the existing nurses that must be thinking " Is this job worth it anymore ? "

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
On 04/03/2021 at 17:58, Ewood Ace said:

If Labour don't change their direction and their leader soon then the next election will soon become unwinnable. 

If you look into the polling data more and read it, the Labour is losing working class voters to the Conservative Party. 

According to the YouGov survey. its shows 52 percent of C2DE voters, which covers the working-class and those not working, would back the Tories with only 27 percent picking Labour.

But amongst ABC1, or middle-class, voters Labour has 36 percent support with the Conservatives only just ahead on 40 percent.

So do you think Labour Party need to change direction or is this why Starmer has gone after the business vote now?

On 05/03/2021 at 10:26, only2garners said:

You give the impression that because there are some hard issues to sort out with electric car infrastructure that we shouldn't do it. There isn't going to be a choice very soon. Already many manufacturers are saying they will only be making electric cars from 2015 on, which is only 4 years away. In 10 years petrol and diesel cars are going to be much harder to find even on the second hand market. The only viable alternative to moving to electric is hydrogen, which has its own issues. 

You mean 2025? 

There is some massive and major issues with electric car infrastructure that need sorting before we all move to them and I don't see a big undertake in them at the start of 2030 or years after. People will be wary of switching to something they don't know. 

Electric car charging points are expanding rapidly and fairly soon the majority of households that can't have their own charger will have one available nearby.

How is that going to work tho? when a street of 26 terrace houses where they is 20 plus cars on the street? Plus with these electric charging ports meaning more destruction to our streets to install this. Plus who is going to install these? and who is going to the bills off millions of people using more electricity and will this cause more power cuts? 

here are people who choose to drive and spend a lot of money doing so but a big part of that decision is because they can afford to because of the fact that their transport is being made artificially cheaper by Government policy compared to the alternative. The overall cost of something being large doesn't stop it being subsidised - it should actually be a lot more expensive.

I would say driving is very expensive and without the taxes and VAT paid by motorists would leave a huge gap in the Government. How would that sort of loss be fill?