BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Politics

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

From this weeks “ Private Eye “

” It’s important that, whoever people are, wether they’re Prime Ministers or anyone else “. Rishi Sunak told ITV’s Robert Peston recently, “ they follow the rules and the guidelines we have in place for lobbying “.

A few days later, freedom of information requests from the Sunday Times revealed texts the chancellor had sent to David Cameron in response to the latter’s lobbying for support for Greenville Capitol through a Bank of England run scheme. In the first, Sunak promised to call Cameron to discuss the matter. Then, three weeks later, he told the ex PM ; “ I have pushed the Treasury team to explore an alternative with the Bank of England that might work.”

If the phone call did occur and officials weren’t summoned to witness it , this would have been a breach of the ministerial code, which states: “ A private secretary or official should be present for all discussions relating to government business “. Private chats with former political colleagues turned lobbyists are a no-no.

The code is also clear on the requirements not to learn on mandarins to give special treatment, stating that a minister must “ not ask civil servants to act in any way which would conflict with the Civil Service Code “. This code demands that civil servants do not “ act in a way that unjustifiably favours or discriminates against particular individuals or interests “. Sunak had clearly asked civil servants to discriminate in Greensill’s favour.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has some questions to answer too. In 2019, he met Cameron for a ministerial code breaking “ private drink “ to talk about flogging Greensill’s wares to the NHS. “ Allies “ of Hancock’s have said that, since he de-briefed  officials on the chat afterwards, he followed the rules. Not so. This let out applies to the more accidental situation where a minister “ finds themselves discussing official business without an official present - for example at a social occasion or on holiday “, not to a pre-arranged private chat.

These episodes present clear grounds for an investigation by the Prime Minister’s adviser on ministerial interests. Alas, that position is still vacant after the resignation of Sir Alex Allen over Boris Johnson’s refusal to sack Home Secretary Pritti Patel “.

TS, see the BBC story on Hancock but why is it not surprising that it is Private Eye coming out with these stories and not the mainstream press media?

I saw a good headline on Sunak the other day "Fishy RIshi"

Labour need to make it stick

Edited by jim mk2

21 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

"Whatabboutterry alert"

There are lots of low-information people who are very quick to shout "disgusting" with ridiculous  faux outrage whenever alleged and exaggerated anti-semitism in the Labour party is mentioned

In fact, they're permanently "digusted" whenever Jeremy speaks.

So what about this....why don't they find this "disgusting" too and why haven't they pointed it out before? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-56680478

This repulsive slob sexually harassed a 21-year old female employee ands refused to stop, even after she told him her mental health was suffering, suggesting that messing around with him could cure her

Boris Johnson has decided that this sexual predator will face no formal consequences for his actions, and he won't even have the Tory whip removed

This story, which was of course played down or totally ignored by the right wing media, is (truly) "disgusting" behaviour and it is totally unacceptable that it is tolerated by the Tory party, which is rapidly descending into a cesspit of sleaze similar to the 1990s.

But with a philanderer and lying crook in No 10 no one should be surprised

More from the Eye.

Number Crunching

5 months - period for which Tory MP Julian Lewis lost the whip for standing against Boris Johnson’s choice of chair for a parliamentary committee.

55 days - Period for which Tory MP’s including Nicolas Soames had the whip removed in punishment for voting against Johnson’s Brexit legislation.

0 days - Period for which Tory MP “ Two Bob “ Rob Roberts is to lose the whip after being found guilty of “ unacceptable “ behaviour in sending sexually harassing messages to an intern even after she replied saying she was having mental health problems.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

More from the Eye.

Number Crunching

5 months - period for which Tory MP Julian Lewis lost the whip for standing against Boris Johnson’s choice of chair for a parliamentary committee.

55 days - Period for which Tory MP’s including Nicolas Soames had the whip removed in punishment for Johnson’s Brexit legislation.

0 days - Period for which Tory MP “ Two Bob “ Rob Roberts is to lose the whip after being found guilty of “ unacceptable “ behaviour in sending sexually harassing messages to an intern even after she replied saying she was having mental health problems.

Yes, read it too

Lying, corrupt, no moral compass.... and they contiunue to get away with it

10 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

TS, see the BBC story on Hancock but why is it not surprising that it is Private Eye coming out with these stories and not the mainstream press media?

I saw a good headline on Sunak the other day "Fishy RIshi"

Labour need to make it stick

The “ Eye “ is essential reading these days. It’s full of similar stories of the Tory old pals act in full swing now they think they can do as the please and the rules no longer apply to them.

For instance there’s another long article on the appointment of Robin Simcox to head the government’s “ Commission on Countering Extremism  “. Simcox has plenty of previous as a right wing knob head who thinks a bit of rendition, detention without trial, deportations etc is a great idea. “ What has been happening in the Middle East is proving the neocons right “ ( ie that invasions build democracies ) is just one of his wacky statements.

Simcox has been appointed interim lead commissioner of the CCE, possibly because bringing him in as a temp means his recruitment wasn’t subject to the same competition and inspection as a permanent appointment.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

14 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Yes, read it too

Lying, corrupt, no moral compass.... and they contiunue to get away with it

We’ve seen it all before Jim, there comes a point when even the dimmest amongst us starts to smell rather large rat. The Tories never know when enough is enough and they always take it that one step too far. Remember the Poll Tax ?

It seems like it’s not only the Tory Party that’s having problems -

“ Creative Accounting “

” Inspector McNacker is looking into the whereabouts of £590,000 that appears to have gone AWOL from the Scottish National Party’s accounts. 
As the last EYE reported, three members of the SNP’s finance and audit committee ( FAC ) resigned after the party’s chief executive, Peter Murrell ( husband of St Nicola ) refused then access to the accounts it is their job to audit.

The money in question was raised by activists in 2017 and 2019 on the understanding it would be ringfenced for one purpose only - campaigning for a second independence referendum.

According to Murrell there isn’t a problem. The money hasn’t “ disappeared “ but merely been “ woven into the accounts “ . By whom, when and for what purpose, Police Scotland will be keen to learn.

The case of the missing money does at least explain why the threesome resigned. Had they done what there were “ expected “ to do - namely sign of the accounts without actually seeing them - they would have been held personally liable “.

@Tyrone Shoelaces @jim mk2

who cares? Well a few of us but many people don't and blindly support them regardless. Also when they control the disciplinary channels what can be done about it? 

They run the investigations, their punishments even if found guilty are non existent or so feeble it's untrue. It's getting less and less of a democracy by the day. 

I think the general public are so fed up with politicians that 'sleaze' never gets consigned to one particular party. Whenever you hear any chat about the corruption or individual politicians the usual comment is "typical politicians". They see it as an across the board problem as oppose to one party.

Politicians are seen as self-serving and the relationship between profit driven private enterprise and politicians is getting closer and closer. They are just part of that group of "power brokers" that working class people resent but abide by. I think that will be the case until you see a genuine fall in workers' rights, living standards or liberty across the whole nation. The majority have enough to be comfortable and are content with that, regardless of if some are taking more than they need.

Councillor Iftakhar Hussain did the right thing suspending himself for ignoring covid rules and attending a wedding, all this whilst representing a town that has lost thousands of people to Covid19.

He's now been reinstated to fight local elections, which is frankly a disgrace, he should stand down immediately. 

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/19237114.former-mayor-reinstated-party-rule-break/

Edited by Gav

6 hours ago, 47er said:

How's it going in the Race for London Chaddy? Last time I looked Sadiq had a lead of between 20% and 30%.

Any change there?

Have you moved?

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

That’s from last June....

Sara Britcliffe that voted against free school meals too!

It took a footballer to shame this government into providing free school meals for hungry children. Britcliffe voted against the measure and is a no mark who deserves any criticism she gets

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Does that matter?

Any comment on her voting against free school meals for hungry kids?   

And Is that how your beloved party looks after working class voters and knows what they want as you claim ? 

9 hours ago, 47er said:

How's it going in the Race for London Chaddy? Last time I looked Sadiq had a lead of between 20% and 30%.

Any change there?

Hey 47er, according to some you can’t comment on London because you don’t live there yet it’s ok for them to comment on Hartlepool despite living in Yorkshire. Work that one out 

Faceless cowards online abusing female MP's, food for thought maybe.....

https://www.politicshome.com/thehouse/article/sexist-insults-abuse-death-threats-expect-all-this-and-more-as-a-female-mp

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/07/dame-margaret-hodge-calls-ban-social-media-anonymity-abuse/

Hodge said the abuse painted a false portrait of who she was, including that she supported apartheid and was a paedophile. She also revealed that she receives tens of thousands of abusive tweets a month.

“What is so upsetting is, it’s not me and it undermines me. I’m sure it feels the same for Diane Abbott, for Meghan Markle,” she said. “It’s so often women, but this is so chilling for me because it comes from within the left, people who should share my values about changing the world.”

Edited by Gav

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Hey 47er, according to some you can’t comment on London because you don’t live there yet it’s ok for them to comment on Hartlepool despite living in Yorkshire. Work that one out 

Yes, I thought that was a very odd post from Gav!  On a personal note, I'll take any sort of win for Labour at the moment, just as I do for the Rovers!

My point really was that Chaddy reads all the polls but posts them on here only if they are favourable to the Tories.

Additionally London is a really interesting political story. Support for the Tories in London has absolutely plummeted in recent years. I think I read somewhere that they've lost a third of their London seats in the last few years.

I can only hope that the rest of the UK will follow suit eventually!

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Faceless cowards online abusing female MP's, food for thought maybe.....

https://www.politicshome.com/thehouse/article/sexist-insults-abuse-death-threats-expect-all-this-and-more-as-a-female-mp

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/07/dame-margaret-hodge-calls-ban-social-media-anonymity-abuse/

Hodge said the abuse painted a false portrait of who she was, including that she supported apartheid and was a paedophile. She also revealed that she receives tens of thousands of abusive tweets a month.

“What is so upsetting is, it’s not me and it undermines me. I’m sure it feels the same for Diane Abbott, for Meghan Markle,” she said. “It’s so often women, but this is so chilling for me because it comes from within the left, people who should share my values about changing the world.”

This site is more or less the only “ social media “ site I go on. I don’t do Twitter, face book or any of the others, so I’m not guilty.  If I ever came across her personally I’d let her know what I think of her face to face. She’s not to be trusted.

2 hours ago, 47er said:

Yes, I thought that was a very odd post from Gav!  On a personal note, I'll take any sort of win for Labour at the moment, just as I do for the Rovers!

My point really was that Chaddy reads all the polls but posts them on here only if they are favourable to the Tories.

Additionally London is a really interesting political story. Support for the Tories in London has absolutely plummeted in recent years. I think I read somewhere that they've lost a third of their London seats in the last few years.

I can only hope that the rest of the UK will follow suit eventually!

London vote, like much of the north and midlands, is mainly down to Brexit, plus Londoners know a lying, snivelling, corrupt, over-promoted, over-confident, over-hyped, oaf of a prime minister when they see one 

With Brexit a distant memory for most, you wonder why Labour can't hold strongholds like Hartlepool.

Out with the dinosaurs, the party needs new blood and quickly....

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/hartlepool-election-poll-keir-starmer-b1827153.html

Labour is on course to lose Hartlepool to the Conservatives for the first time in over half a century, according to a new poll of voters in the constituency.

Anger is mounting at the top of the Labour party over a trade union-commissioned poll on the party’s fortunes in the 6 May Hartlepool by election that has sparked accusations of “betrayal”.

What an absolute shit show.....

Edited by Gav

15 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Former councillor quits Labour over 'vindictive' treatment of Sara Britcliffe. 

https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/former-councillor-quits-labour-over-18464170

A Labour bloke sticking by his morals. Good on him. There are surely issues in all parties. Where are the Tory politicians that resign for similarly noble purposes? That's right! Nowhere.