52 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/10/french-soldiers-accuse-government-of-trying-to-silence-warnings-of-civil-war

Growing discontent over the channel. No doubt Macron will come up with some ludicrous rhetoric to try and find a common enemy. We seem to be his go-to these days.

You get a feeling Europe is unsettling. Huge riots in Italy, Spain and Holland in 2020; the French riot whenever the weather changes; the instability facing Eastern Europe. It is a melting pot similar to what we were taught accumulated to the disasters of the 20th Century.

Hopefully this time next year Macron will be on the way out.

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I would offer an insight into the School Meal Voucher scheme being used to provide vouchers to those parents and children that need it desperately.  The scheme is provided by Edenred a co

This sermon is brought to you by the Daily Mail. Victim-blaming repugnant nonsense. 

You need to completely change your perspective. Do you think they don’t realise how dangerous is?  They don’t have other options. Of course it’s dangerous but the alternative, for most, is l

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Couldn't agree more Dreams. Go after the big companies instead of taxing the common folk. Absolutely. 

Sadly that won't happen with this government. (Evidenced by it not happening).

Also the point I was making was debunking the idea that low taxes means increased spending which the government gets back from business. Your post illustrates why in the current situation such an assumption is a falacy. Please don't take me showing why Chaddy's economics wasn't too feasible as being happy with the situation. 

I haven’t got the figures to hand but this government spends much more in terms of money and effort on chasing dole dodgers than they do on fat cat tax fiddlers. That’s in spite of the massive in-balance in sums of money involved.

Joe Biden leading the way on a minimum global corporation tax

https://www.ft.com/content/d8ef8f9f-f179-4fe9-b890-a10e4bcab4ac

And Biden plans to tax the wealthiest Americans

https://www.ft.com/content/a43d966e-b7d9-4ee1-bb77-2a6561dfda12

... while EU looks to clamp down on Big Tech

https://www.ft.com/content/4c40c890-afd3-40a3-9582-78a66c37a8af

Expect resistance to all 3 from the UK government, the "party of the working class"

1 minute ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Be careful what you hope for. The alternative may be Le Pen. 

I would like to see Mélenchon myself but Le Pen is a more preferable option than Macron. The Front National is not the fascist party that it once was.

Posted (edited)

I see the new saviours of the working class have decided we don’t need a new Employment Bill after all. The poor buggers in the gig economy can look after themselves. They’ve nothing to say about the latest wheeze of firing and re hiring people at reduced terms of employment.

On the other hand they can chuck £20 million at sorting out the four cases of election fraud we seem to get every general election.

” If I am ever asked on the streets of London, or in any other venue, public or private, to produce my ID card as evidence that I am who I say I am when I have done nothing wrong and am simply ambling along and breathing God’s fresh air like any other freeborn Englishman, then I will take that card out of my wallet and physically eat it in the presence of whatever emanation of the state has demanded I produce it ! “

No prizes for guessing which fat blond bull shitter said that.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
3 hours ago, gumboots said:

Yes it is. Just better at hiding it. 

Le Pen's has moved her party's economic policies very much to the left and her foreign policy is strongly anti-imperialist. It's the current President of France who has reduced workers rights and just recently got his security bill passed that has greatly expanded the powers of the police.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I see the new saviours of the working class have decided we don’t need a new Employment Bill after all. The poor buggers in the gig economy can look after themselves. They’ve nothing to say about the latest wheeze of firing and re hiring people at reduced terms of employment.

On the other hand they can chuck £20 million at sorting out the four cases of election fraud we seem to get every general election.

” If I am ever asked on the streets of London, or in any other venue, public or private, to produce my ID card as evidence that I am who I say I am when I have done nothing wrong and am simply ambling along and breathing God’s fresh air like any other freeborn Englishman, then I will take that card out of my wallet and physically eat it in the presence of whatever emanation of the state has demanded I produce it ! “

No prizes for guessing which fat blond bull shitter said that.

Right over the heads of the red wallers Tyrone. They don't want to know

"Time for a change"......voter in Batley, where there'll be another by-election soon, on TV last night

Edited by jim mk2
Posted (edited)

I don’t get that at all. Maybe he hasn’t realised the Tories have been in power for the last decade.

I was listening to another interview yesterday. An older woman was saying “ I’m not keen on Labour anymore, they need to change, they’ve got too many public school boys in charge “.

I nearly fell off my chair. This was followed by “ Bertie Wooster “ Rees-Mogg telling us what a great job the Tories were doing.

it’s hard to know what to say in the face of that level of ignorance.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Just been looking at the shadow cabinet reshuffle, which seems to have caused more controversy on the left of the party than anywhere else. Do they not realise that wheeling Diane Abbott and John MacDonnell out to stick the boot in only sets the party back further.

I have to say I'm please Anneliese Dodds has been removed from her role as shadow chancellor, I watch quite a bit of politics and I'm yet to hear her say anything positive about anything.

I'm sure she's a very MP, but not in that role, where Tv time representing the party is a key requirement. 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don’t get that at all. Maybe he hasn’t realised the Tories have been in power for the last decade.

I was listening to another interview yesterday. An older woman was saying “ I’m not keen on Labour anymore, they need to change, they’ve got too many public school boys in charge “.

I nearly fell off my chair. This was followed by “ Bertie Wooster “ Rees-Mogg telling us what a great job the Tories were doing.

it’s hard to know what to say in the face of that level of ignorance.

The lack of knowledge and understanding is blinding. "Uninformed" is the polite way of saying it but don't dare label them stupid because you get accused of looking and talking down to them 

So what can you do - except to keep pointing out the facts and hope it eventually sinks in?

Rees-Mogg is from the Thatcherite hard right of the party and this high-spending, socially inclusive version of the Tory party is anathema to him, yet he and his fellow hardliners stand by their party and its leader. The red wallers love a posh voice and suck it up

Contrast with Labour and the left and right of the party at its each other's throats

Diane Abbott is loved by her constituency but that's it. Absolutely no credibility except perhaps on racial abuse. She's copped a lot of that. Obviously really believes she should be on Labour's front bench and is smarting

11 minutes ago, 47er said:

Diane Abbott is loved by her constituency but that's it. Absolutely no credibility except perhaps on racial abuse. She's copped a lot of that. Obviously really believes she should be on Labour's front bench and is smarting

Spot on 47er.

She was the most abused MP in Westminster a few years ago, some of the stuff posted by these faceless cowards was horrendous. It takes a certain type of character to keep going after that, for the that reason alone I have the upmost respect for her.

That said, sticking the boot into Keir isn't helpful.

Just now, Gav said:

Spot on 47er.

She was the most abused MP in Westminster a few years ago, some of the stuff posted by these faceless cowards was horrendous. It takes a certain type of character to keep going after that, for the that reason alone I have the upmost respect for her.

That said, sticking the boot into Keir isn't helpful.

To be honest I’ve never been a fan of hers. I find her delivery and way of speaking grates on me. Not altogether her fault I suppose. Her constituents must rate her, she always get a very large majority.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, 47er said:

There's no perhaps about it on racist abuse, it really is sickening how she is treated. The chattering classes and right wingers love to make her out as being as some half witted caricature figure. I can't understand what it is that they have against the black working class girl, who passed here 11 plus, who went on to attend Cambridge University and then went on to become Parliaments first black woman MP. It really is a mystery. 

Edited by Ewood Ace
2 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

There's no perhaps about it on racist abuse, it really is sickening how she is treated. The chattering classes and right wingers love to make her out as being as some half witted caricature figure. I can't understand what it is that they have against the black working class girl, who passed here 11 plus, who went on to attend Cambridge University and then went on to become Parliaments first black woman MP. It really is a mystery. 

She's an odd one alright. She's not thick as you say but she sounds like it much of the time. I find her really irritating I'm afraid.

Johnson’s in the dock for a £500 debt apparently. My “ Private Eye “ should be arriving today so I’ll have the full SP soon.  Can’t be for a roll of gold wallpaper, that was over £800 a roll.
Lock him up I say.

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Spot on 47er.

I dare say if you scroll back far enough, you'll see some of that here from the usual suspects...

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I see we’re having a COVID enquiry - this time next year. So give it 2 or 3 years to report back - safely beyond the date of the next General Election !

I'm amazed you got that one wrong Tyrone.I would like to see what Tory HQ have to say if Labour refused to release its findings?

The government has conducted a secret “lessons learned” review on the Covid pandemic but is refusing to publish it, Downing Street has admitted.

Posted (edited)

A very long article from the man John Bercow said was the best PM in the time he was speaker “by a country mile”. Tony Blair.

He won power because he understood how the party needed to change. Here, he talks about modern politics and how it’s leaving the left around the world in its wake.

He talks about why Labour are failing and how they need to move forwards. He has a better political mind than the Labour and Tory parties combined - IMO. 

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2021/05/tony-blair-without-total-change-labour-will-die

Edited by den

Blair's still in his 60s - a spring chicken by the standard of US leaders, bright as a button and still as charismatic as ever. The right wing media would pillory him and give him hell because of Iraq but if he had the will to have another go at the premiership, I think he'd walk it. 

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

Blair's still in his 60s - a spring chicken by the standard of US leaders, bright as a button and still as charismatic as ever. The right wing media would pillory him and give him hell because of Iraq but if he had the will to have another go at the premiership, I think he'd walk it. 

He got more wrong than just Iraq Jim. I couldn’t vote for him again, I had to hold my nose the last time. The bloke’s a wrong ‘un.