BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Politics

Just caught up with PMQ’s, it was interesting to see Johnson waving the Batley and Spen Labour campaign leaflet around after being spanked on racism by Starmer.

The Labour Party need to explain how that leaflet made it through the approval process, causing division with dog whistle racism isn’t going to win the voters back, as the polls are clearly showing. 

Edited by Gav

20 hours ago, Mike E said:

I'm leaning independent at the moment unless the Greens field a candidate in Hyndburn.

One of biggest issue the world faces is the climate emergency, in this country only the Green party are taking that threat seriously, coupled with the fact they don't promote racism in any form, what's not to like?

Some of the scientific predictions for 2100 are stark, I won't be around but my grandkids will, hence the need to act now.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

One of biggest issue the world faces is the climate emergency, in this country only the Green party are taking that threat seriously, coupled with the fact they don't promote racism in any form, what's not to like?

Some of the scientific predictions for 2100 are stark, I won't be around but my grandkids will, hence the need to act now.

If that's what you believe you should be agitating for the abolition of First Past The Post voting.

26 minutes ago, 47er said:

If that's what you believe you should be agitating for the abolition of First Past The Post voting.

We have discussed this many times 47er, the vote in 2011 was sneaked out under the radar and was rejected by the voting public.

Opportunity missed, as that could have been the start of a shift towards eventual PR....

I think the vote would be very different this time round. The vote coincided with a surge in BNP and UKIP votes so many,  myself included didn't want them represented at any level, if I could change my vote I absolutely would. 

The majority of the country don't want a tory government and how many Labour voters are actually just voting for "not the conservatives". I think if you held the vote now, there would be a significant difference in the outcome of the vote

Sebastian Payne, who writes for the FT, is a Tory. He issued this tweet the other night:

The message is loud and clear,. The right-wing of the Tory party want to end Covid restrictions without caring for the consequences. The government knows that this is madness, but will not rely on Labour votes to retain masks.

And so, to save Boris Johnson masks must go, even if thousands more people die as a result.

SEB.png

11 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Sebastian Payne, who writes for the FT, is a Tory. He issued this tweet the other night:

The message is loud and clear,. The right-wing of the Tory party want to end Covid restrictions without caring for the consequences. The government knows that this is madness, but will not rely on Labour votes to retain masks.

Has Sebastian been reading my posts 😃

1 hour ago, 47er said:

So as it currently stands there's no point anyone voting for a minor party, unless they want perpetual Tory government. The Greens are happy to jump into bed with the Tories at local level, so it has to be assumed the people who run the party (such as it is) and the people who vote for them are closet Tories anyway. 

It's staggering that anyone takes the Green party seriously. It even opposes high speed rail in the UK, a green policy that has revolutionised travel across Europe over the past 30 years and which even the car-obsessed US is now embracing

Opposing HS2 and high speed rail in general are different though. I don't know much about the environmental implications of HS2 which I guess is what they are opposing on but HS2 on whole ain't great. 

1 hour ago, Gav said:

We have discussed this many times 47er, the vote in 2011 was sneaked out under the radar and was rejected by the voting public.

Doesn't matter--that does not mean its over. Quite the reverse.

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

So as it currently stands there's no point anyone voting for a minor party, unless they want perpetual Tory government. The Greens are happy to jump into bed with the Tories at local level, so it has to be assumed the people who run the party (such as it is) and the people who vote for them are closet Tories anyway. 

Without a viable opposition The Greens are a great alternative, climate change is one of the biggest threats we face today, its not you or I that will bear the brunt Jim, its our grandkids and their kids. 

If Labour cleans up its act and becomes electable again my cross would be in the Labour box, but I can't hold my nose and vote Labour with everything thats gone on over the past 6/7yrs, The Greens are a great alternative and I'm firmly behind many of the policies.

56 minutes ago, 47er said:

Doesn't matter--that does not mean its over. Quite the reverse.

I hope you're right 47er, I really do.

The Greens aren;t an "alternative" under FPTP and will only split the progressive vote. Green voters might as well vote Tory, because a Tory government will always be the outcome of a Green vote under the present voting system

The Greens have completely lost their way their way and started morphing into an orthodox neoliberal 'party in recent years. Might as well stick an X in the Tory box and have done with it. 

33 minutes ago, Gav said:

Without a viable opposition The Greens are a great alternative, climate change is one of the biggest threats we face today, its not you or I that will bear the brunt Jim, its our grandkids and their kids. 

If Labour cleans up its act and becomes electable again my cross would be in the Labour box, but I can't hold my nose and vote Labour with everything thats gone on over the past 6/7yrs, The Greens are a great alternative and I'm firmly behind many of the policies.

I hope you're right 47er, I really do.

It won't be over till every one who wants a fair system votes tactically and anti-Tory parties come to an electoral pact.

7 hours ago, Gav said:

Just caught up with PMQ’s, it was interesting to see Johnson waving the Batley and Spen Labour campaign leaflet around after being spanked on racism by Starmer.

The Labour Party need to explain how that leaflet made it through the approval process, causing division with dog whistle racism isn’t going to win the voters back, as the polls are clearly showing. 

Starmer didn't want to answer that one on the leaflet. 

6 hours ago, Gav said:

What do you think of the Conservative Party green agenda and investments in green technology? 

• Backroom
1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

is that the best you got? 

The Opposition doesn't have to answer. Have you never seen the format before or something?

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

is that the best you got? 

It's true though isn't it? I thought that you watched the Parliament channel and knew how it worked but obviously not, so let me explain. The format of Prime Minister's Questions is that the Leader of the Opposition and back bench MP's ask the questions and the Prime Minister answers them. 

Although I except that it is very rare that the Prime Minister answers a question and yesterday he tied himself in knots after his culture war he is waging clashed with his new found discovery of football.

35 minutes ago, Mike E said:

The Opposition doesn't have to answer. Have you never seen the format before or something?

Starmer has had weeks to answer about the leaflet. Still no answer

29 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

It's true though isn't it? I thought that you watched the Parliament channel and knew how it worked but obviously not, so let me explain. The format of Prime Minister's Questions is that the Leader of the Opposition and back bench MP's ask the questions and the Prime Minister answers them. 

Although I except that it is very rare that the Prime Minister answers a question and yesterday he tied himself in knots after his culture war he is waging clashed with his new found discovery of football.

Ewood, I fully understand how Prime Minister's questions works thanks Ewood. I've seen plenty of parliament channel this week. 

PM Johnson answered every question he was asked. 

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Ewood, I fully understand how Prime Minister's questions works thanks Ewood. I've seen plenty of parliament channel this week. 

The next time he answers a question honestly will be the first time.

Chaddy, two simple questions. Do you think Johnson is a proven liar - and if your answer is yes, do you approve of it?

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Then why were you under the impression that Starmer didn't want to answer a question? If you knew Prime Ministers Question's you'd have know that the Leader of the Opposition asks the question and the Prime Minister answers them.

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't think deep down even you truly believe that this week. He tied himself up in knots as the culture war he is waging clashed with the latest band wagon that he has hopped on.

Johnson said yesterday at PMQ's “We made it absolutely clear that no-one should boo the England team”. Do you yourself acknowledge that that was a lie by Johnson?

Edited by Ewood Ace

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

The Greens aren;t an "alternative" under FPTP and will only split the progressive vote. Green voters might as well vote Tory, because a Tory government will always be the outcome of a Green vote under the present voting system

The Greens have completely lost their way their way and started morphing into an orthodox neoliberal 'party in recent years. Might as well stick an X in the Tory box and have done with it. 

If you're lucky enough to have a green candidate in your area the Greens policies are attractive Jim, thats what matters to many people. The Labour party are miles away from government so its doesn't matter if we split the progressive vote. I'd be voting for the polices I support and thats all that would matter to me, as Labour are a million miles away. 

You'd have to think hard about those choices if the polls narrowed, but for now its the best party and the Greens fit that mould.

Edited by Gav

38 minutes ago, Gav said:

The Labour party are miles away from government so its doesn't matter if we split the progressive vote.

Tory government in perpetuity. 

Job done