Jump to content

BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Politics


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, RoverDom said:

Not sure if politics is the right thread or not but hey ho. Today is Earth overshoot day, the date in the year when we've used more of the earth's resources than it is able to regenerate in a year its the equivalent of having spent all your money and being in overdraft until 1st Jan

This link was sent round work, I'd encourage everyone to have a go. I was genuinely shocked at my results especially as I feel as though I'm environmentally conscious (not full eco warrior but concious) 

https://www.footprintcalculator.org/

 

To give it a politics twang, we really need a government that has green as one of its major policies 

The main parties are playing at addressing climate change, only The Greens would make a real difference, Labour needs all the help it can get, they should form a progressive alliance.

The stark reality is people of my generation and older won't be majorly impacted by climate change, thats why the country is full of dinosaurs only interested in themselves and voting for the main parties.

My granddaughter is 3yrs old, in 2100 she'll be 82:

Taken from - Surviving the climate crisis

Coastal cities in Bangladesh, Mexico, the United States, and elsewhere have suffered brutal infrastructure destruction and extreme flooding, killing many thousands and displacing millions. This happens with increasing frequency now.

Cities such as Marrakech and Volgograd are on the verge of becoming deserts. Hong Kong, Barcelona, Abu Dhabi, and many others have been desalinating seawater for years, desperately trying to keep up with the constant wave of immigration from areas that have gone completely dry.

Coastal cities in Bangladesh, Mexico, the United States, and elsewhere have suffered brutal infrastructure destruction and extreme flooding, killing many thousands and displacing millions. This happens with increasing frequency now.

UK costal communities will have been swallowed up, floods are regular occurrences now, imagine how the country will cope in 2100.....

Edited by Gav
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Gav said:

The main parties are playing at addressing climate change, only The Greens would make a real difference, Labour needs all the help it can get, they should form a progressive alliance.

I think especially among younger people green is becoming a big factor in who they vote for. Whereas 10 years ago people were voting economically, the green agenda will start to become the focus on how people vote and I think that there's a huge pool of potential voters to pick up if one of the main parties took it seriously. I think most can see through the fannying around the edges that is currently happening. 

That link I posted that gave my overshoot score, upon closer inspection the result was based partly on my lifestyle and partly on my share of whatever the government does. I thought I was reasonably green (I know I could do me) so I guess it shows why we need to make sure those in charge are doing more. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, RoverDom said:

I don't know too much about it but I understood one of the "benefits" of it was that it would atleast save us from importing coking coal for steel / cement production which atleast saves a little bit of carbon footprint. I know zero about how we reduce the demand for coking coal though. 

Also we need a big hole for all our nuclear waste which should really be in West Cumbria somewhere so a coal mine does kind of kill two birds with one stone. 

The emissions from coking coal will help to kill many more than 2 birds Dom! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderation Lead

Sara Britcliffe has been modelling her behaviour on that of the PM in telling lies.

She claimed that Labour Party members were intimidating her staff and demanding she come out while she wasn’t there.

When, in fact it was Unite the Union members trying to hand her a white handkerchief and protest privatisation of the NHS.

Worst thing is, people will comment, fuming, then not go back and see the real story being published.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Sara Britcliffe has been modelling her behaviour on that of the PM in telling lies.

She claimed that Labour Party members were intimidating her staff and demanding she come out while she wasn’t there.

When, in fact it was Unite the Union members trying to hand her a white handkerchief and protest privatisation of the NHS.

Worst thing is, people will comment, fuming, then not go back and see the real story being published.

Wow, just had a conversation with a lady (who's husband is from Ossy) about Ms Britcliffe, nothing unusual about that, other than we both live in Cornwall, coincidence or what?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

The oaf has put his foot firmly in his mouth again

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58107009

Jim when quoting our "illustrious" PM's latest gaffes please try using a more neutral source than the BBC. Contrast with sky's article that highlights he allegedly laughed when making the comment and also covers the widespread condemnation of the remarks, the BBC tries to minimise any negative impact. Think it shows a better reflection on things. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Jim when quoting our "illustrious" PM's latest gaffes please try using a more neutral source than the BBC. Contrast with sky's article that highlights he allegedly laughed when making the comment and also covers the widespread condemnation of the remarks, the BBC tries to minimise any negative impact. Think it shows a better reflection on things. 

Are you saying the BBC hasn't made enough of the gaffe because if is pro-government? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderation Lead
50 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Jim when quoting our "illustrious" PM's latest gaffes please try using a more neutral source than the BBC. Contrast with sky's article that highlights he allegedly laughed when making the comment and also covers the widespread condemnation of the remarks, the BBC tries to minimise any negative impact. Think it shows a better reflection on things. 

To be fair, it does say that in the BBC article?

He is reported to have laughed and told reporters: "I thought that would get you going." 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Are you saying the BBC hasn't made enough of the gaffe because if is pro-government? 

Yes. Significantly so over the last year or two. 

8 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

To be fair, it does say that in the BBC article?

He is reported to have laughed and told reporters: "I thought that would get you going." 

 

 

Missed that. Must have been at end of article. Thanks for correction. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The twerp thinks he's funny (and so do his supporters) when in reality he's about as funny as coronavirus. 

The BBC doesn't like to rock the government boat, it's true. AFAIK it completely ignored this recent story, a blatant example of the corruption at the heart of the Tory party

https://www.ft.com/content/f8a48bfd-8902-4667-93a6-1b903ca48e7e

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

The BBC doesn't like to rock the government boat,

Bunkum, Emily Maitlis for one is always giving it to the government, but the corporation has to try and stay impartial and does a good job at doing so in my opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh really

Maitis slapped down by the BBC for criticising the government

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15412989/emily-maitlis-slapped-bbc-sharing-piers-morgan-tweet-government/

So that's what happens when you upset your government supporting bosses

 

To recap for the uninformed:

Incoming BBC chair Richard Sharpe: : donated £400,000 to the Tories over the past 20 years

BBC new director general Tim Davie: ex-Tory councillor and former Tory election candidate

One of his first acts as DG was to axe a show that wasn't nice to the government

https://leftfootforward.org/2021/03/tory-bbc-boss-axes-satire-show-over-criticism-of-the-government/

Another known Tory partisan and nasty piece of work Robbie Gibb appointed to the BBC board

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/media/2021/05/robbie-gibb-s-appointment-shows-how-no-10-wants-politicise-bbc

Gibb has been trying to block the appointment of a senior news editor because she is not perceived as "friendly" to the government.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/news/media/953485/robbie-gibb-vs-jess-brammar-inside-the-bbc-hiring-row

Prominent BBC journalists past and present, Neill, Kuennsberg, Robinson, all with Toiry connections

Even Tory supporting Peter Oborne says the BBC was biased towards the Tories during the 2019 election

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/03/election-coverage-bbc-tories

Bunkum is the Green party's motto

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Oh really

Maitis slapped down by the BBC for criticising the government

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15412989/emily-maitlis-slapped-bbc-sharing-piers-morgan-tweet-government/

 

Its Emily Maitlis for future reference, but thanks for supporting the fact the BBC isn't biased towards the government or Emily wouldn't be on the station. 

The rest of your post is full of public schools boys and the privately educated, right up your street, what are you complaining about?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

YouGov studies show the more educated are less likely to vote Conservative, so under-investing in education and schools, and discouraging the working class from study, or going to university, is one way that the Tories have been able to rig elections. Lack of education is the only explanation as to why red wallers would vote for people like Cameron and his wretched, corrupt party. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

YouGov studies show the more educated are less likely to vote Conservative, so under-investing in education and schools, and discouraging the working class from study, or going to university, is one way that the Tories have been able to rig elections. Lack of education is the only explanation as to why red wallers would vote for people like Cameron and his wretched, corrupt party. 

 

Did you get that off Wikipedia? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, den said:

Party of the workers some workers believe.

 

I saw the Panorama programme last night. How on earth is that allowed to happen. Hopefully the SFO will get involved and criminal proceedings will following including Cameron who was complicit in all the fraud.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

YouGov studies show the more educated are less likely to vote Conservative, so under-investing in education and schools, and discouraging the working class from study, or going to university, is one way that the Tories have been able to rig elections. Lack of education is the only explanation as to why red wallers would vote for people like Cameron and his wretched, corrupt party. 

 

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

You couldn’t make it up. What’s frightening is that you believe it - and thoughts like the above is why the party you canvas for is so detached from the working class of the U.K. 
 

We are better than you, far smarter, and of course know what you need and want more than you do yourself....but it’s not your fault...it’s them tories who made you dumb 

Galling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I saw the Panorama programme last night. How on earth is that allowed to happen. Hopefully the SFO will get involved and criminal proceedings will following including Cameron who was complicit in all the fraud.

A government run by people like him for people like him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

You couldn’t make it up. What’s frightening is that you believe it - and thoughts like the above is why the party you canvas for is so detached from the working class of the U.K. 
 

We are better than you, far smarter, and of course know what you need and want more than you do yourself....but it’s not your fault...it’s them tories who made you dumb 

Galling.

Keep up. The right are all retarded racists and the left are all snowflake communists

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

You couldn’t make it up. What’s frightening is that you believe it - and thoughts like the above is why the party you canvas for is so detached from the working class of the U.K. 
 

We are better than you, far smarter, and of course know what you need and want more than you do yourself....but it’s not your fault...it’s them tories who made you dumb 

Galling.

A few years ago, I attended a quizshow hosted by Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes, who patronisingly explained afterwards that privilege and inequality were natural and that society's "betters" had ordinary people's best interests at heart.

What's "frightening" is that ordinary people keep kissing their feet and tugging their forelock, and that apparently "educated" people can't see  they're being conned and taken for a ride either

That's "galling". .   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.