Daughter has just sent us a video of their French Day. My little grandson likes lunch at Bistrot Pierre but obviously they cant go atm so being a bright 3 year old he suggested doing the menu at home. So today they went all out French. Croissants for breakfast. Make Eiffel Tower biscuits. Build an Eiffel Tower from Lego. Eat croque monsieur and chocolate eclairs for lunch. Paint a French flag. Play boules.  Go up and down stairs 674 times altogether to represent the steps to the second floor of the Eiffel tower. Then bistrot pierre menu for tea.

How to enjoy lock down

• Replies 16.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chaddyrovers

• Gav

• den

• RoverDom

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

False dichotomy alert. I don't quite see how the two are related. I mean it's not an either or is it? Given the furlough and mortgage schemes (both excellent btw) are already in place before Cumm

Have spent a couple of days thinking what to write on here as I am utterly bewildered as to what this so called government is up to regarding schools. Firstly, before Christmas my school had seve

as you know i dont post on here anymore but i will this once just to wish everyone the best and hope everyone stays safe and comes thru at the other side  of this sad mess.  i would also like to

Posted Images

1 minute ago, gumboots said:

Lucky if you've got flour. Haven't seen any for weeks

A couple of bags of each in. We do alot of bakery in the house. Daughter loves making cakes, cup cakes, etc. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
4 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Talking of the Sun, this front page today page beggars belief.

On a day when another 900 plus died to take the total to almost 9,000 because of this bungling government which caused this crisis to be so much worse than it needed to be by wasting the crucial early weeks, this excuse for a newspaper has the gall to call it a "Good Friday"!

borisss.jpg

This is the same paper that has lately “been on the side of the angels” supporting the NHS. Not very long ago when junior doctors were campaigning for better pay they ran a headline saying “Sack the doctors”.

35 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

A couple of bags of each in. We do alot of bakery in the house. Daughter loves making cakes, cup cakes, etc. 

We had a lot of bread flour at the start but that has all been used

24 minutes ago, Yoogo said:

Admit it, Jim. You only bought it to get the inside scoop on Little Mix Jesy. Assuming you've read it, what is a Little Mix Jesy?

Little Mix is a girls pop group who have limited talent and less clothing. 

24 minutes ago, Yoogo said:

It's important that the PM is back up and running, but the headlines don't surprise me one bit. The Sun is hardly known for its tact.

Or known for its integrity, accuracy, decency or anything else positive really. 

1 hour ago, gumboots said:

Really I'm not noticing much change in my life in many ways. Being retired, I dont miss work and work colleagues.  I dont miss my family because none of them live  nearby, so  Messenger is our normal means of communication. I'm walking or cycling every day so perhaps that's a plus. I'm so determined not to sit at home and feel sorry for myself that I'm trying very hard to get every bit of exercise I can. And, because I'm determined not to put on weight and to give myself the best possible chance of staying fit and well, im eating carefully too.

I'm fine but Mrs Shoelaces is driving me mad. Imagine being locked in with a workaholic ! The dining room table is currenty holding her jigsaws plus the sewing machine. She's started with the dress making again, dresses she'll never wear, at least I hope she doesn't !  That's when she's not out lapping the common. We have daily deliveries from Amazon, the latest being a professional skipping rope. No exam marking this year. That used to keep her quiet for a while.

9 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

South Korea, Germany and others provided the model on how to deal with the virus. Countries such as New Zealand followed but English exceptionalists thought they knew better and went for the herd immunity approach. When the crisis is over a public inquiry needs to be held as to why the government failed the nation and caused so many unnecessary deaths 

And then they need to publish it!

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't think the herd immunity was the overall strategy but the government and advisors point was that some people would develop a immunity to it depending on people age, etc

I do agree with your last point about government but I do enjoy certain people on being do like being an experts 

you mean Sir Patrick Vallance and Chris Whitty?

yes full update will happen when the data is there. 

RoverDom's comments were good points

The Chinese government have alot to answer about this coronavirus and how it was started and why the cover up. 

I think your approach of waiting before judging is the correct one but sadly some people will always going to judge far too early and act like experts in the science and medical world.  

But you've made your judgement Chaddy---a Tory Government is always right.

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't think the herd immunity was the overall strategy but the government and advisors point was that some people would develop a immunity to it depending on people age, etc

I think your approach of waiting before judging is the correct one but sadly some people will always going to judge far too early and act like experts in the science and medical world.

11 hours ago, Gav said:

The government have said repeatedly that they never took the herd immunity approach.

10 hours ago, Gav said:

Don't believe everything you read in the papers, Public Health have been working on this since the beginning on January and just for the record, herd immunity was never even mentioned as a policy, but by definition exists due to the numbers of people infected.

We are currently in a lock down situation, quite the opposite of herd immunity, Swedes are still allowed to gather in groups of 50 as they are taking the herd immunity route, which seems silly because we don't know if you become immune to Covid19 at the moment, watch this space.

March 13th, Government's Chief Scientific Advisor Patrick Vallance.

A clear endorsement of herd immunity by the Government's chief scientific officer and as late as March 13th. I don't see how anyone can deny that.

Doesn't want "knee-jerk reactions" which will lead things to develop "at the wrong rate"!!

Just spare a thought for this poor doctor.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52242516

Pleaded to the government many times for proper protection for health workers, which never came, and he paid for it with his life.

The Conservative government own this disaster in totality. They cannot blame anyone else for their catastrophic error of lack of preparation.

9 minutes ago, 47er said:

A clear endorsement of herd immunity by the Government's chief scientific officer and as late as March 13th. I don't see how anyone can deny that.

Doesn't want "knee-jerk reactions" which will lead things to develop "at the wrong rate"!!

I don't think though it's really a party political thing though. It's the medical leadership who made the decisions and ultimately wasted the time. I can't really see how having a Labour or Lib Dem government would have made much of a difference.

No love for the Tories, but this really looks like PHE and SAGE dropped the ball rather than any cabinet action. It's a bit of a stretch to expect politicians to override expert medical advice.

Edited by joey_big_nose
9 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I don't think though it's really a party political thing though. It's the medical leadership who made the decisions and ultimately wasted the time. I can't really see how having a Labour or Lib Dem government would have made much of a difference.

No love for the Tories, but this really looks like PHE and SAGE dropped the ball rather than any cabinet action. It's a bit of a stretch to expect politicians to override expert medical advice.

The reason medical workers have had to fight this virus with inadequate masks, wearing bin bags, or with no protective gear at all is that the Tory government decided to ignore warnings about PPE shortages before the crisis even happened, then spent months twiddling their thumbs instead of making PPE acquisition an urgent priority.

Nothing to do with medical advice - this is government failure. 

15 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Government's job to govern. At some point the Government made a 180 degree turn and rejected this "expertise". Constantly denied on here.

Marina Hyde writing in the Guardian:

But when we’re seeing 1,000 casualties a day - just as we did in Italy while our generals were still deciding not to act – and grave problems with testing, and NHS staff are crying out daily for the right kit, it’s certainly worth considering whether the troops were led into an ambush. The people dying right now are likely to have caught the disease in the middle of last month (between 11 and 21 March), when the government’s advisers reportedly surmised the British people would never accept a lockdown. It’s – how to put this blandly enough not to offend the free-speech snowflakes out there? – OK to wonder if we might have expected better.

20 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

I got really annoyed with journos asking the same dumb question one after another about the end of the lockdown.

Duh...its only the beginning of the beginning you idiots. Peston, one of the worst, made me laugh and nod when he said "maybe its me being thick..." and then asked again.

Current lockdown will probably last 3 months and schools wont go back until September. The Nightingale hospitals and other resources will remain in place ready for the second wave in December. There won't be a lockdown next time as the economy cant afford it and the NHS capacity will be in place.

Can"t see flights for holidays and business starting up until next summer.

i.e. after there is a vaccine in the Spring.

Prices will be sky high. Many airlines, travel companies, hotels etc will have long since gone bust so availability will be tiny. The global tourism industry will take 10 years to recover.

Agreed completely.

You can blame the government all you want and yes I think they'll agree they've made some bad calls. Undoubtedly the biggest reason the numbers still rise though is the number of either totally thick or pig ignorant members of society we have in this country though I'm afraid.

Prime examples in Asda last night, i go late when its quietened off a bit so I dread to see it at peak. Families or 4 or more round a trolley, are you for real? Theres arrows in the floor to assist people and help with distancing - almost totally ignored by many! People just wandering aimlessly round aisles with no concept of distance to other shoppers whatsoever. I'm not one to keep my mouth shut so a few people got told straight.

Just one of so many examples, don't even get me started on the people reckoning to exercise.

We've been given some freedom, we've been trusted, we, well some people have completely thrown this back in the government's face.

7 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

The reason medical workers have had to fight this virus with inadequate masks, wearing bin bags, or with no protective gear at all is that the Tory government decided to ignore warnings about PPE shortages before the crisis even happened, then spent months twiddling their thumbs instead of making PPE acquisition an urgent priority.

Nothing to do with medical advice - this is government failure. 

Even now HMG is miles behind.

It is buying after prices have increased 30 times for some items.

Sarah Gilbert, professor of vaccinology at Oxford university, said the vaccine she and her team are working on could be ready by September. And she is '80%' confident it would work. Human trials due to start in the next fortnight 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/esaid she is dition/news/coronavirus-vaccine-could-be-ready-by-september-flmwl257x

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Sarah Gilbert, professor of vaccinology at Oxford university, said the vaccine she and her team are working on could be ready by September. And she is '80%' confident it would work. Human trials due to start in the next fortnight 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/esaid she is dition/news/coronavirus-vaccine-could-be-ready-by-september-flmwl257x

And elsewhere you will read that a vaccine is at least a year away. In truth, nobody knows.

Edited by 47er
1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

You can blame the government all you want and yes I think they'll agree they've made some bad calls. Undoubtedly the biggest reason the numbers still rise though is the number of either totally thick or pig ignorant members of society we have in this country though I'm afraid.

You say "undoubtedly" but I doubt it very much. Lack of beds, lack of staff, lack of PPE would, I suspect, dwarf selfish people doing what they like. I've no data to prove that one way or another but many people did things that were not banned early on and were able to say, like Chaddy, they had followed government instructions to the letter. The government was too late with the restrictions and the virus spread. THEN the restrictions were tightened. You can blame people for not showing common sense but common sense isn't all that common as government should have known, by looking at other countries.

I can agree with you that the government has made some bad calls and I can accept the obvious ---that ignorant people have made things worse.

But the biggest culprit is poor government decision-making. That's not "party political" as some would spring to say, its a criticism of government and I would have made it whoever was in power.